Is it time to bin Sport Mode?

I see little but complaining about the endless tweaks to the broken penalty system in Sport Mode.

Is it time to do what we did in GT6 to get clean racing? Do it ourselves...

It seems relying on ANY automated stewarding is utterly futile, matchmaking doesn't solve anything (it mitigates it, but doesn't solve it). I have yet to find the same 24/7 clean racing I could find online in GT6. And the only difference is, in GT6 we did it all ourselves.

Perhaps it is time to realize Sport Mode is barely better than Quick Race, which was rarely quick, and usually dirty! Yes, it's more work for the host (host has to set up the room with a 'Clean or Kick' title - all that typing, rats!), it is more work for the players (we have to steward ourselves rather than relying on a moron computer to do it!), it is more bruising to our egos (when we get kicked for breaking the rules rather than getting a smaller penalty than the player we hit!).

Surely it's time to admit, after over six months of tweaking, that PD simply cannot make a fair race stewarding system. No-one else can either, so there's no shame, no need for mass seppuku! But, for me at least, the blush is off the rose. The benefits of seemingly easy matchmaking haven't outweighed the huge backwards step in clean racing. Not to mention the smaller choice in track/car/tire than we used to have.

So long, Sport Mode. A good idea, but ultimately, a huge failure.

You're joking right?

You are allowed contact in F1, its not to meant to happen but if two cars touch wheels or bump and nothing comes of it no one gets penalised, How it should be. They did have tighter rules in F1 a couple of years back but they relaxed the penalties as the fans where getting fed up. Bit like now really.

You are allowed contact in F1, its not to meant to happen but if two cars touch wheels or bump and nothing comes of it no one gets penalised, How it should be. They did have tighter rules in F1 a couple of years back but they relaxed the penalties as the fans where getting fed up. Bit like now really.
Wheel to wheel touching is the only non danger of contact it seems in f1.

If it were me I would like to see Sport mode replaced with the Seasonal Events from GT6 where you get three daily races but against the
AI and can win prize cars/paint/wheels etc, I think that would be more productive and satisfying at the moment than the online races.

I am sure it wouldn't take much to make the change but I think they wanted to make an online set of races for players but the beth of
experience/player base means it's creating too much of a gap though so far it has taught me the limits of my skill level when it comes
to driving in online races.

The weekend has certainly taught me that sport mode still needs a lot of work.

If it were me I would like to see Sport mode replaced with the Seasonal Events from GT6 where you get three daily races but against the
AI and can win prize cars/paint/wheels etc, I think that would be more productive and satisfying at the moment than the online races.

The AI in GT Sport is shockingly bad. Beating AI in this game has never been satisfying.

There has to be something they can do to separate the long term SR:S from the people (myself included) who are only there temporarily. It’s too easy to get to S, and too easy to have those precious points taken away. That’s my 2p

S rank should be split into Bronze Silver and Gold in DR & SR

Early on in realized just how awesome Sport Mode is, it was during the beta.
After a race i felt drained and was not happy at all .. Naturally I did not win rather I must have failed or someone knocked me out.

If the race had meant nothing then I wouldn't have cared. But that's the thing about gtsport, I want to race, it's just to much fun to drive in this game and fight yourself, the car and the other players.

It's a game that gives an experience that ends up evoking real feelings and that imho means something. Forget the ratings, try to drive clean and be the rating you want to race and just enjoy the game.

I think allowing the user to vote one other driver at the end of the race as "Fair" would be a great human generated data point that the system could use in the weighting and sorting processes. You don't have to vote and you can't down vote.

It would be kind of a record of when I say to the guy/girl I had a great battle with "That was some clean racing". I'm unlikely to give this Fair rating to some <cough>head with an SR s rating who still barges through the field and then SR farms for two races to get it back. I'd be VERY likely to give it to people (like myself) who let me through when they've put a bad move on and got us both penalised. These subtle aspects which are extremely hard for an algorithm to detect but easy for humans would greatly benefit the data I think.

<edit - for all it's faults, Sport mode has provided me with usually a very enjoyable, tough, challenging race very hour and half past the hour all day every day. Not many other games I've driven have managed that, even in open lobbies>

S-S

I couldn't disagree more with the OP but then again we all have an opinion.

The Sport mode has offered me some of the most exhilarating, competitive and challenging racing in years. Sure it has issues but overall I would suggest the penalty system has improved somewhat since launch and will perhaps get better, sure it can be unfair at times but I find it interesting that when you analyse most incidents you can sometimes find a little blame for yourself, I know I do.

The racing in SR A & S is easily the cleanest online racing I've had in forever (outside of private lobbies) If you are getting penalties on a regular basis I'm sorry but you are part of the problem, sure the odd one here or there can be deemed unlucky or unfair but I probably get a penalty every 8-12 races now and when I do there is usually some fault on my side.

I sometimes wonder what people really expect from an online racing game, with it's thousands of variables, different players, driving styles and potential for mistakes. Polyphony, alongside other devs, are pushing the needle but that doesn't come without issues and all things considered, Sport mode is a great step forward in my view. I for one did not want just another GT game- been there and overdone that.

As for the perfect penalty system, I think some people would have more luck looking for a Dodo riding a Unicorn in heaven ;)

You’re crying bcoz u know that the penalty system is garbage but lecture ppl here makes you more vulnerable snowflake. You don’t enjoy the game you’re pretending that you enjoy the game. You Enjoy playing Mario Kart but GT Sport not.

And if you don’t agree with me then elaborate yourself please.

Temper, temper, touchy trumpie! Can you manage to use full words? I don't understand textspeak like 'bcoz' and 'ppl'. We use the full language here at GTPlanet. English is your first language, right?

IMG_0815.jpg
AB
BB
DA
DB
EB
lol
h18igcrij

I think sport mode and the FiA races are phenomenal. It's an incredibly addicting addition to the game and should have won GTS racing game of the year IMO

The penalty system is horrid. I think the penalties should be stricter based on your Sr, not Dr. I'm a Dr A driver, and sometimes a Dr B will lightly bump me into a corner.. I get a penalty, but they don't because their penalties aren't strict enough...

Also, I'm tired of my Sr bouncing around so much with this new system. The slightest contact (that isn't always my fault) results in big Sr hits.

My Sr has been so variable lately which is somewhat unusual of my trend.
Screenshot_20180403-082503.png

There has to be something they can do to separate the long term SR:S from the people (myself included) who are only there temporarily. It’s too easy to get to S

That's factually untrue, less than 2% of drivers are even S rank.
I think he meant SR S, though; and as the matchmaking seems to favour SR > DR he has a point.
Widening the score for SR from 0-100 to 0-1,000 was a suggestion I heard and thought was pretty good.

Yes, the penalty system is broken but what we consider griefing in this game, is patty cake compared to the dirty driving bumper car party found in every other console racing game. Even with it's broken and bizarre penalty system this game still has the cleanest racing on console and there's really nowhere else to run to for that kind of unique experience.

As for lobbies, I've raced in self regulated lobbys and lets just say that the idea of "clean racing" isn't standardized across all lobbies and though lobby racing isn't the mad max Wild West that you'd think it is, the drivers are unpredictable in their driving knowledge, more so than the Sport drivers, with barge passing and respect for track space being the biggest problems.

I see that many people are happy with GTS system compered to other titles.Here is the problem:
The only title we can actually compare GTS online system is iRacing (only Pc title) -or maybe Raceroom,again a PC only title-.
Some would argue Pcars 2 but their "e-sport" way of things are a lot different than those titles.ACC (perhaps a PC only title too) could also be another to add to that "vs" list but until its released we cannot know for sure.
With that said GTS is not even close being the best "e-sport" online title.
For sure its the best PS had ever -imo- but not good enough all things considered -again imo-.
GTS is the best as a "pick and play" in a "competitive" online public lobbies in (both) concole(s) platform but not to be taken too "seriously" or "hardcore" as a full sim racing online title.

Last edited:
With as much as I have been complaining lately on this forum, Sport Mode makes GTS the best game I have played since ever. I have never been addicted to a console game like this before and the racing is stupendous. In fact, I have never been so invested in a game that I went to a forum to list my woes :P.

Sport Mode has some glaring issues IMO that weren't there before 1.15 but they are nothing that can't be fixed in short order. I won't let a few bad weeks ruin a long term game for me. All this is doing is teaching me how little DR and SR ranking matters. The clean races are found up front, so if you're fast, qualify fast;)

The AI in GT Sport is shockingly bad. Beating AI in this game has never been satisfying.

That depends on the skill of the player, for me the AI is very hard to beat but then I am not the best racer, sometimes I will blitz them, other times I'm 3 laps down...

Oh I'm sorry.View attachment 726897 View attachment 726898 View attachment 726899
Should I show you the screenshots of my wins as well?

Any S/S driver should be topping those leaderboards when the top 10 is mostly populated by A/B DR drivers in off-peak hours to be honest. So often I see guys at/near the top of the leaderboards bottle it when it actually counts. By the end of the day I'm rarely in the top 10 of a leaderboard outside of Monza, but if that means I'm more consistent and comfortable in the race then so what :lol:

Any S/S driver should be topping those leaderboards when the top 10 is mostly populated by A/B DR drivers in off-peak hours to be honest. So often I see guys at/near the top of the leaderboards bottle it when it actually counts. By the end of the day I'm rarely in the top 10 of a leaderboard outside of Monza, but if that means I'm more consistent and comfortable in the race then so what :lol:

Most of the top drivers do just fine in races, there is the the odd drivers that can't keep it on the track but they're definitely a minority.

It isn't just about pace. But also that the AI are terrible at actually racing, in terms of trying to defend, making fair overtakes, going side by side etc.

Yes I know about that part but that's one reason I like the AI in this game, they are unpredictable unlike previous GT games where you knew they
wouldn't do anything or could go away and let B-Spec driver do the work.

It amuses me no end to see a driver think he's got the position and then wham hit from behind or sideswiped by some rival AI but that's just
me.

Been thinking about it and whilst my thoughts are the same you could always do Sport Mode with other players as long as we all got some
reward regardless of position, would feel more satisfying.

Yes I know about that part but that's one reason I like the AI in this game, they are unpredictable unlike previous GT games where you knew they
wouldn't do anything or could go away and let B-Spec driver do the work.

It amuses me no end to see a driver think he's got the position and then wham hit from behind or sideswiped by some rival AI but that's just
me.

Been thinking about it and whilst my thoughts are the same you could always do Sport Mode with other players as long as we all got some
reward regardless of position, would feel more satisfying.

The reward is close racing with human beings. I don't want anything for coming last, or in the bottom half of the grid, but If I've had a great race with people it doesn't matter to me really.

I'm competitive, but not to the detriment of other players enjoyment. I'm definitely NOT a win at all costs type of racer, but the enjoyment, for me at least, is in close respectful racing to get the heart pounding a bit :D

S/S isn't the sign of an ultimately skilled driver on its own - there's a pretty huge spread of ability across the group, ranging from full on Alien, to people who are several seconds a lap slower and barely scrape in to the division.

My experience of racing at the top end of S/S is they rarely make major mistakes.

Back