Is PCARS as Good as GT6?

• Thread starter TT92
  • 453 comments
I'm getting more out of P Cars career than I have from any GT title since they removed practice and qualifying (and its actual racing rather than chase the rabbit)
The first time I encountered rain during a race, and the track slowly starts to get wet and you don't know if it will stay this way, get worse or clear up again, so you are forced to make a decision on wether to gamble on being able to run another lap on slicks, or pit in and switch to wets, it brought a huge grin to my face. :D

The first time I encountered rain during a race, and the track slowly starts to get wet and you don't know if it will stay this way, get worse or clear up again, so you are forced to make a decision on wether to gamble on being able to run another lap on slicks, or pit in and switch to wets, it brought a huge grin to my face. :D
Had exactly the same in a Ginetta race at Brands last night, made the wrong call and went from 1st to a 10th place finish and still enjoyed every bit of it.

Yes and No.

As a racing simulator it is far better but as a game it is not. GT6 just has so much more to offer, with the lengthy career, seasonals and the massive amount of cars to collect.

You're aware that pCARS has regular leader board events that are very similar to seasonals? Not to mention the year long challenge series, and the ones with prizes.

So far I think GT6 is miles better but I'm hoping that will change. Maybe if I get the FFB set up right because with the default settings, I think it's severely lacking in the FFB department.

Even if I get the FFB sorted, I'm still not sure I'd consider it better than GT6. GT6 does the career mode much better, and it's far more rewarding to play and collect cars instead of just racing for the sake of racing. However, I feel that GT6 is a complete failure as far as multiplayer. Other than league racing but frankly I don't have time to do league racing anymore and the quick match races are ruined by terrible matchmaking issues.

I'm disappointed that pCars doesn't have matchmaking or quick races. I hate the whole server setup that GT6 has although, at least in pCars, server settings shouldn't have such a drastic effect on the experience since there's not 9 tire compounds for each car and ridiculous aids like Skid Recovery Force. That's really what I hate about online in GT6. 90% of the servers are people using racing soft tires all the time, even for road cars. It's just ridiculous.

Being able to search for a lobby on a certain track
Being able to search for and join friends in there lobby
Bring able to see what assist are being used before joining
Being able to label the room
Seeing the results after the race and also showing number of pit stops (mandatory stops in race series)

I've not actually had any lag issues myself, all my 'online' issues relate to the lobby/settings

I haven't saw either of the console versions.

So I can speak only of the PC version
You can join friends in their lobby as well as send an invite to a friend (something you can't do in GT)
You can label your lobby

As for lag so far I have only raced with my brother who lives about 500 miles away. The first day we saw a little glitching on track. Nothing major but there were times when one of our cars would jump around a bit. After that first day it has been as smooth as silk every time.

Of course we do both have a fast connection and we are both in the eastern US. I have a 50mb connection and he has 100mb connection.

GT6 does the career mode much better, and it's far more rewarding to play and collect cars instead of just racing for the sake of racing.

This one is very subjective, to the point that it's the total opposite of how I feel. This part of GT has (from the very first title) been a total drag for me, and one that's gotten worse. In the early titles we at least had qualifying and real races; now the vast majority is just a 'chase the rabbit' event that even manages to get rolling starts wrong (everyone can go for it as soon as the lead car passes the start, you don't have to wait until you reach it).

Everything open with race events that actually mirror the structure of real events is just ideal in my mind and exactly what I have been missing since the days of the TOCA series.

This one is very subjective, to the point that it's the total opposite of how I feel. This part of GT has (from the very first title) been a total drag for me, and one that's gotten worse. In the early titles we at least had qualifying and real races; now the vast majority is just a 'chase the rabbit' event that even manages to get rolling starts wrong (everyone can go for it as soon as the lead car passes the start, you don't have to wait until you reach it).

Everything open with race events that actually mirror the structure of real events is just ideal in my mind and exactly what I have been missing since the days of the TOCA series.

Agreed.

I'm tired of having to grind. Just give me the car I want so I can jump onto a track and grind with a smile on my face.

This whole grinding for credits is played out. I want a career that does its best to simulate a real racing career. I want PC to become the EA FIFA of the Racing world.

PD need to get with the times and come up with new ideas. Perhaps they would benefit from being A fully independent developer.

You mean wait for GT7 to compare with PCars 2 and Forza 7?:sly:

That will be better comparison. Probably GT7 will release between Pcars and Pcars2 or Forza6 and Forza7. GT6 was on same console as GT5 so they were limited with the console.

Imo the GT franchise is dead in the water, with the advent of Forza 5 and pCARS

It's been going stale for years and PD really need to be aware of that when they
think of releasing GT7

I don't know if they have it in them to refresh GT enough to compete. I speak as
a long-time player and fan of the GT series, so I'm not just PD bashing

How is it dead when in GTA 2015 round 1 my rank is some hundred thousand :lol:

I'm disappointed to hear about the short comings of PCars online.
Sounds like offline is great, but I don't enjoy racing by myself, or against a computer.
I always thought GT offline was a terrible grind, but I never had to care, because as long as I could afford a car, and hop online I was happy. I loved GT5, and didn't care for GT6 as it felt like they simply re-sold GT5 to us. I've been looking forward to a racing game on the PS4 since I bought the damn system. I'm going to own PCars no matter what when it finally released here in the U.S. but over the weekend the more I read, the less excited I am about getting the game. Maybe that's for the best, as it will temper my expectations and I won't feel let down by hype. Maybe once the US PS4 users get a hold of the game online lobbies will be more available, but it sounds like SMS has some work to do to get online a living breathing entity, which is what allows games to maintain success in my opinion. It sounds as if SMS is more than willing to continue taking criticism and use it to improve their game, so that's promising. But as many of us are coming from Gran Turismo, it's natural for PCars to be compared to our 'old racing game' whether fair or not. If online lobbies are a chore, rather than a pleasure... I'm not going to want to play this game. I don't care how good the physics, graphics or sound it, if the 'game' is boring. I understand this is meant to be a 'sim' and honestly, I'm coming into this expecting PCars to simply be a console version of iRacing, which I was glad to hear. But iRacing is a game that, again, lives and breathes online, not offline. In iRacing the only limit I ever really felt hindered my ability to enjoy it, was the schedule of events. It wasn't massive, but I often felt there was too much downtime, but again this is compared to GT5 where you can instantly jump into a lobby and go racing. iRacing had a respectable schedule that was clean and tidy, and couldn't be faulted, but we live in a world of instant gratification and it took me a bit to adapt.

The lack of a social impact (I don't mean social media) in the online portion is worrying. You can't type to each other on PS4, but I assume Mics work correct? No practicing between events is mind blowing, but again, perhaps this is the instant gratification talking. None of this really matters, as by this time tomorrow I'll be playing the game hopefully and I'll find a way to enjoy it, but I really don't want this to be GT6 where I log in once a week, run a league with some friends, and then don't log in for another week. I'm hoping, praying, for a game that I'm infatuated with. When GT5 first game out, I spent 8-10 hours at work, just thinking of what i wanted to do in GT5 once I got home. Same thing with Madden and MUT, or FIFA FUT for some. This eventually wears off, as no game can hold a humans attention for too long, but that's usually how I tend to rate a game. Not by the graphics, physics, sounds, AI, liveries, car lists, so on and so forth... but by how badly I want to play it every day. I'll be sorely let down, if PCars doesn't ignite any sense of passion in me. :(

That will be better comparison. Probably GT7 will release between Pcars and Pcars2 or Forza6 and Forza7. GT6 was on same console as GT5 so they were limited with the console.

Sorry but I think it's totally fair to compare both titles. Just ignore the graphics.

Is pCars as goods as GT6? Ahh, no. From what heard about pCARS, it sounds to be and have everything every sim racing fan wanted in a looong time, not a car collector that's marketed as a "racing simulator". Oh wait, or should I say "driving simulator" that pretends to be one that has boring gameplay, atrocious sounds, horrendous career mode that became 'chase the rabbit' etc. Mind you this is coming from a GT fan that supported PD since GT2, but after GT6 and how PD operates nowadays, not anymore.

Let's face it, pCARS has pretty much set a high mark for the racing genre on consoles (not sure about PC since there's many good racing simulators on there) and there's no denying that PD will be one of the AAA developers that'll be facing stress and sweat against it.

. That's really what I hate about online in GT6. 90% of the servers are people using racing soft tires all the time, even for road cars. It's just ridiculous.

I don't know about the tire issue. If you can modify cars than a street car running racing tires is perfectly fine.

On actually road courses it's pretty darn common for people that race street cars to bring tires with them to install. Using non-high performance tires on a road course is silly and dangerous in real life. I think it's more common for people to use max performance tires on street cars at the track, but it's still pretty common to use r compounds on a street car at the track.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant it's dead in the water as far as any kind
of innovation and freshness goes

PD really have a job on their hands if GT7 isn't to founder

I don't think it's fair to compare someones sixth game with someones first. At least not until some patches, updates, fixes etc. have been released.

I think SMS have experience of more than 10yrs and made more than 6 games already.

Sorry but I think it's totally fair to compare both titles. Just ignore the graphics.

No. The programing and development is different based on the hardware. PS4 is much better in that regard. Shift1 and Shift2 compared to GT since those SMS games were on PS3 is fair or Forza4 on 360.

I'm disappointed to hear about the short comings of PCars online.
Sounds like offline is great, but I don't enjoy racing by myself, or against a computer.
I always thought GT offline was a terrible grind, but I never had to care, because as long as I could afford a car, and hop online I was happy. I loved GT5, and didn't care for GT6 as it felt like they simply re-sold GT5 to us. I've been looking forward to a racing game on the PS4 since I bought the damn system. I'm going to own PCars no matter what when it finally released here in the U.S. but over the weekend the more I read, the less excited I am about getting the game. Maybe that's for the best, as it will temper my expectations and I won't feel let down by hype. Maybe once the US PS4 users get a hold of the game online lobbies will be more available, but it sounds like SMS has some work to do to get online a living breathing entity, which is what allows games to maintain success in my opinion. It sounds as if SMS is more than willing to continue taking criticism and use it to improve their game, so that's promising. But as many of us are coming from Gran Turismo, it's natural for PCars to be compared to our 'old racing game' whether fair or not. If online lobbies are a chore, rather than a pleasure... I'm not going to want to play this game. I don't care how good the physics, graphics or sound it, if the 'game' is boring. I understand this is meant to be a 'sim' and honestly, I'm coming into this expecting PCars to simply be a console version of iRacing, which I was glad to hear. But iRacing is a game that, again, lives and breathes online, not offline. In iRacing the only limit I ever really felt hindered my ability to enjoy it, was the schedule of events. It wasn't massive, but I often felt there was too much downtime, but again this is compared to GT5 where you can instantly jump into a lobby and go racing. iRacing had a respectable schedule that was clean and tidy, and couldn't be faulted, but we live in a world of instant gratification and it took me a bit to adapt.

The lack of a social impact (I don't mean social media) in the online portion is worrying. You can't type to each other on PS4, but I assume Mics work correct? No practicing between events is mind blowing, but again, perhaps this is the instant gratification talking. None of this really matters, as by this time tomorrow I'll be playing the game hopefully and I'll find a way to enjoy it, but I really don't want this to be GT6 where I log in once a week, run a league with some friends, and then don't log in for another week. I'm hoping, praying, for a game that I'm infatuated with. When GT5 first game out, I spent 8-10 hours at work, just thinking of what i wanted to do in GT5 once I got home. Same thing with Madden and MUT, or FIFA FUT for some. This eventually wears off, as no game can hold a humans attention for too long, but that's usually how I tend to rate a game. Not by the graphics, physics, sounds, AI, liveries, car lists, so on and so forth... but by how badly I want to play it every day. I'll be sorely let down, if PCars doesn't ignite any sense of passion in me. :(

Great post,

I hope you get what your hoping out of it although I feel you won't, will be interesting to see your thoughts on it once you get to play it yourself.

It is early days so no doubt they will look to improve the experience but I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Great post,

I hope you get what your hoping out of it although I feel you won't, will be interesting to see your thoughts on it once you get to play it yourself.

It is early days so no doubt they will look to improve the experience but I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Keep in mind it's also the only option if you want play a racing with current gen graphics if you are a PlayStation fan.

If gt7 really doesn't release until 2016 or 2017 it leads me to believe that pd is out of touch. If they aren't out of touch it would lead me to believe they really don't care much and are just riding off the success of ps2 game. The fact that gt6 has cars that sound like gt1 quality makes me think they don't have their priorities straight.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant it's dead in the water as far as any kind
of innovation and freshness goes

PD really have a job on their hands if GT7 isn't to founder

I'm far from a GT fanboi and I'm willing to bet, that GT7 will sell more copies on a single console, than PCars sells across all 4 platforms. That doesn't mean it's better, but it's the reality of the business. I highly doubt PD or Kaz are concerned with what SMS has done with PCars today.

The only way I see this changing, is if GT7 and PCars2 are planned to be released in the same calendar year.

Hell, GT has such a colt following, that if Kaz came out tomorrow and said 'We're going to release GT6 for the PS4' he could twist some minor 'enhancements' and 'optimized PS4 capabilities' to still outsell PCars.

I'll be interested to see the sales of PCars this Tuesday or Thursday when they get released.

I haven't saw either of the console versions.

So I can speak only of the PC version
You can join friends in their lobby as well as send an invite to a friend (something you can't do in GT)
You can label your lobby

As for lag so far I have only raced with my brother who lives about 500 miles away. The first day we saw a little glitching on track. Nothing major but there were times when one of our cars would jump around a bit. After that first day it has been as smooth as silk every time.

Of course we do both have a fast connection and we are both in the eastern US. I have a 50mb connection and he has 100mb connection.
You cant send an invite to friends in Gran Turismo?

Hell, GT has such a cult following, that if Kaz came out tomorrow and said 'We're going to release GT6 for the PS4' he could twist some minor 'enhancements' and 'optimized PS4 capabilities' to still outsell PCars
Oh yes, I don't doubt that for a minute. All I can say is that from my own viewpoint, PD are going to have to work
hard to get me back in their pit

Oh yes, I don't doubt that for a minute. All I can say is that from my own viewpoint, PD are going to have to work
hard to get me back in their pit
Fair. I think the point is that while both are racing games advertised as simulators, the games are actually targeting two very different markets. No one bats an eye or criticizes Need for Speed games when they release, nor would you compare it to PCars or GT, but NFS is a very successful franchise that consistently sells racing 'games' to a very broad population. If you look at Racing 'titles' on a spectrum... At one end you have PCars as a racing 'sim'. At the other you have NFS as a car 'game', and then smack dab in the middle you have the sweet spot (sales/market wise) of Gran Turismo with a 'racing' 'game'. It's real enough to attract racers of expert levels, but fun enough to attract arcade racers of beginner levels.

Basically saying that Gran Turismo not only can't but shouldn't be trying to lean too far towards the PCars spectrum of realism, as it would likely hurt their sales. That's what I mean, when I say that PD/Kaz aren't threatened in the least by PCars. It would be a poor business model for GT to try and adapt what you call innovation and freshness. For this same reason, is why I believe that PCars needs to step up their online gameplay. If you want to specialize in race cars and road racing, there still has to be enough 'fun' to get people to stay. Otherwise people will have to sacrifice one or the other, and from what I've seen, at least in regards to video games, people will sacrifice 'realism' before they sacrifice 'fun'. If people aren't enjoying playing the game, it doesn't matter how good anything else is.

I understand gaming enjoyment is subjective, and the last time I enjoyed GT career mode was GT4. I don't think I completed the game; it was that lengthy. GT6 career is just too short. Pcars has great potential IMO as I enjoy sports gaming career mode. If Pcars can get the UI and immersion correct, then I'm going to be addicted to the practice, qualifying, race, points and season points standing. If Pcars get that "carrot" right, I'll be chasing that carrot endlessly season after season. GT's carrot is credit and prize car, and that got stale for me.

My main feeling about the 2 games , PCARS doesn't feel like a time trial during races playing catch the rabbit .

Love GT1 ,2, 3, 4, 5, 6 maybe even 7 one day , but right now , i'm loving the fact that each race an each car in PCARS feels different as do the challanges , in my case very challenging coz i'm a just about average driver :dunce:

just racing for the sake of racing.
This is precisely what Project CARS is about, in my opinion.

Which is why the career mode is a bit basic, for lack of a better word. It's also why you don't get some sort of automotive Pokémon game.
I don't think it's fair to compare someones sixth game with someones first. At least not until some patches, updates, fixes etc. have been released.
Well, it's not the first game made by SMS and the guys behind it have been working in the industry before founding SMS as well. Thing is, they're independent while PD's friggin' huge. The different in budget and resources has to be massive. Makes it quite understandable they can't match the scope of a GT game.
Basically saying that Gran Turismo not only can't but shouldn't be trying to lean too far towards the PCars spectrum of realism, as it would likely hurt their sales.
Don't quite agree with that, for two reasons.

First, being realistic doesn't automatically make a game harder than an unrealistic one. And just because a game gives you the option of being realistic doesn't mean it can't be easily accessible for those who don't want that realism. Add another layer of driving aids over what PCARS offers (Forza's had a whole bunch of stuff to 'get inspired by', for example) and you're good to go. I'm too much of a klutz to play PCARS without anti lock brakes, for example, but the driving aid is there to help me out. Same could be done for GT.

Second, PD still calls the game 'The Real Driving Simulator'. If that's what I'm looking for, a game that offers a good simulation of driving, I'll go with PCARS; it's ironic, but I don't think that that's the focus of the GT franchise any more, and it hasn't been for the last generation. They're still doing quite a bit of promotion with the claim of realism, with the GT Academy and all. I really think they could make that a focal point of the game again - if they wanted to. However, I totally agree with your notion that PD and GT don't have to fear any competition. They'll outsell damn near everything based on brand popularity alone - which might just be why some folks have been driven away from that franchise. PD might have grown a bit complacent, to be blunt...

Back