Is PCARS as Good as GT6?

• Thread starter TT92
  • 453 comments
Problem is will GT ever be an out and out racer like PCars? I dont think it will nor do PD want it to be.

GT doesn't have to be an out and out racer in order to take note of what PC has done or learn from it. The car selection in PC is SO limited compared to GT but, for me at least, I'll be playing it more than I ever did GT6.

GT is a great series and I think PD have done a lot for console gamers. In the last few years Kaz has been too distracted by indulging his own wants and needs above his franchise.

I personally don't mind as long as the second in command is just as good as the boss and the game moves forward. For me however GT has stagnated without Kaz's full attention and his famed OCD with his game development. His self confessed fastidious nature have not been exercised with GT5 or 6.

Pcars has come from a different direction to what a GT game has. SMS have a great pedigree for making out and out physics based sims. Pcars is not a GT game with slightly different physics, it's a whole different beast. It's a more pure and visceral experience.

Is GT the better game? Is Pcars? That is a question only the individual can answer as they are two separate sides of the same coin and in my eyes don't really overlap in terms of game play or physics. I personally feel Pcars is the better racing and driving game and I can't wait to see if PD will take notice and cook up something special. I also can't wait to see where SMS take the game next and just hope Bandai Namco allow SMS to support the game for a long time rather than a few token DLC and then onto the next game.

As a first game in the series, I think it was very ambitious for SMS to target a multi-platform release.
Seing how PD, Turn 10 or other had difficulties to finish system specific driving games, I was very worried.

I have the feeling that all versions of pCars have suffered from this, the PC less than the other but still.

Huge fan of GT and always will be but the truth is things have moved on and Project Cars is miles better BUT I think it's unfair to compare games from current consoles to previous ones.

But we should be thankful to Project Cars as they have raised the bar for what GT SHOULD be aiming for when it's released for the PS4.

As mentioned earlier yet. It's unfair to compare graphics.

So let's compare variety, quality and AI.

GT6 fails on all of the above. Heck, super Mario kart on the snes had more challenging AI. And I'm not even trying to be funny.

If GT7 doesn't have a good AI, then I will say PCARS is better. An AI is key to my enjoyment of a game, and if Gran Turismo still decides that Nissan GTR's are more valuable than an actual racing experience, then I may not consider buying it. Problem is, I don't think Gran Turismo will change their philosophy, and will remain in the stone age of racing games.

As mentioned earlier yet. It's unfair to compare graphics.

So let's compare variety, quality and AI.

GT6 fails on all of the above. Heck, super Mario kart on the snes had more challenging AI. And I'm not even trying to be funny.

I still play that Mario Kart to this day lol.

Bit off topic but don't underestimate PD, have a feeling we'll all be eating our words come GT7.
In the areas of looking pretty and having a massive car count I'm sure they will impress. However in just about every other area, and I'm basing this on GT5 and GT6, I'm fairly confident I'm not going to be eating anything (I would love to be wrong - but at this rate it will be the second GT title I don't pre-order and may be the first I simply don't buy).

Bit off topic but don't underestimate PD, have a feeling we'll all be eating our words come GT7.
*Looks back to 2013 when everybody thought GT6 would be the game GT5 should've been. Turns out to be GT5 3.0 with features taken out and added in later.

Not holding my breath this time. Not after my experience with GT5 and GT6. Maybe graphics and car count, but everything else? Nah.

I would love to see change, but I'm not holding my breath. Past behavior (GT5 and 6) is indicator of future behavior.
In the areas of looking pretty and having a massive car count I'm sure they will impress. However in just about every other area, and I'm basing this on GT5 and GT6, I'm fairly confident I'm not going to be eating anything (I would love to be wrong - but at this rate it will be the second GT title I don't pre-order and may be the first I simply don't buy).

All fair points and I share your skepticism but there certainly are some positive signs.

@TokoTurismo Don't think we all expected GT6 to fix everything wrong with GT5 with having the same constraints.

All fair points and I share your skepticism but there certainly are some positive signs.

@TokoTurismo Don't think we all expected GT6 to fix everything wrong with GT5 with having the same constraints.
No one expected everything to get fixed but some of the choices made were odd (graphics for one and Moon buggy content), the tyre model changes were a step in the right direction but FWD and RR cars are still simply wrong in how the react to weight transfer, the 'race' events are simply chase the rabbit and they can't even get rolling starts right, and the fact it launched with half of the promised content missing (and one bit is still MIA over a year later) were, for me, all far from positive.

GT6 has of now, buried the GT series for me, I simply didn't get anything more than the smallest amount of fun out of it.

GT5 and GT6 are already pretty good. AI is a tricky thing. I hope they do not make it unrealistic like other games :nervous: Last thing we want is AI having uber brakes, grip. That is the easiest way to make them faster and that is what developers do most often. Codemasters F1 games has competitive AI and can be fun but not realistic.

Don't want to go off topic but to answer, the Forza audio guy, the EVO UI guy, new tracks like isle of man etc.
All three of which are areas that have parrells that simply didn't happen in GT6, despite similar cliams being made.

The audio was being worked on and would be better for a lot of the cars (nope - minimal at best), the UI would be much better (well it would struggle to et worse - but its far from good) and new tracks like Goodwood (which is about as wel implemented at the TG track was).

We have had failed promises before.

All three of which are areas that have parrells that simply didn't happen in GT6, despite similar cliams being made.

The audio was being worked on and would be better for a lot of the cars (nope - minimal at best), the UI would be much better (well it would struggle to et worse - but its far from good) and new tracks like Goodwood (which is about as wel implemented at the TG track was).

We have had failed promises before.

but on better hardware though? and with new competition? maybe just maybe they can redeem themselves.

If GT7 doesn't have a good AI, then I will say PCARS is better. An AI is key to my enjoyment of a game, and if Gran Turismo still decides that Nissan GTR's are more valuable than an actual racing experience, then I may not consider buying it. Problem is, I don't think Gran Turismo will change their philosophy, and will remain in the stone age of racing games.

This.

Pcars is a much superior 'racing' experience. The upcoming GT7 may well have a perfect photo mode and a massive roster of cars,but they really need to up their game in terms of AI and the actual racing. I simply just got bored of the actual races with the tiresome train of AI cars. Also Pcars has set a new benchmark in immersion (physics,cockpit,weather etc.) - Polyphony has to take note and react with their next game.

Last edited:
gt 2
gt 4
gt 5

ok,great Games

gt 6-so,so
project cars-wrong with the steering wheel t 300-Damage thrown money

The whole package is better on pcars right now at begin. I was a old player from gt series, and I see that, at first glance, pcars have less bugs at start than any gt series. People must not talk of what they dont know, just because they "ear" something..., well. GT5 and 6 is a shi** online, lag, different physics when playing offline and online, gt5 the physics was reformulated twice, not good for who have heavely tuned the cars. gt series have a worst handling at the stock cars, but very nice after some tunes. I want see more tunes for pcars, want see more "garages" do this. I hope see this very soon. pcars is not a perfect game, but pcars have right now a solid base, I hope with some adjustments and some patches become much better. now, lets race :)

Oh, I don't buy gt series more, because I was frustrated largely with gt series, and the way the title has been developed, to much show-off for what they offer right now. and I dont need +1000 cars and work for the game as a slave!!! the vast majority in low resolution and shameful sounds engines. Too large and reputable title on the market to present these embarrassments, certainly has its days numbered...

Well after playing project cars for a bit I've decided the question of what game is better is completely obvious. The sounds, vehicle dynamics and what not on project cars is so far ahead of gran turismo that at the rate pd is making gt better the earliest I can say gran turismo being on pc's level would probably be gt10. Pd has been promising better sounds forever, yet the small pc studio made a game that's out now that makes gt audio sound like atari. 95% of gran turismo cars aren't premium, and gt says every car will be returning. I expect when gt7 comes out project cars might have more premium cars than gran turismo, because every car is premium. If you think gt ai is acceptable you must have missed the last expert seasonal at monoca.

I'm surprised a small company made this game, at this point gt is waayy behind the curve. I enjoy gt6 but if you really think about it it's actually pretty terrible for a game in 2015. I still buy gt games because of the magic I felt in the first three games, but it gt doesn't get their act together I most likely won't buy gt7, especially if it's released for ps4 exclusive after ps5 is already out, and at this point it most likely will be out after ps5 comes out.

Playing a game like this on ps4 makes me wonder what the heck pd is thinking.

To be fair I still think it's bs project cars wouldn't answer a simple question usa PlayStation users were asking.

• GT makes it incredibly hard to lose. The player should always win
  • PCars let's you choose if you want it easy, difficult or somewhere in between

For me personally, just the fact that I have to spend hours practising in free mode to be competitive against 80% AI tells me PCars is better.

The fact that all those hours of practising is actually incredibly enjoyable, because sometimes just getting a clean lap is a challenge.

PD has encouraged a mentality of the end result (winning) being more important than the competing. This is completely at odds with racing. Out of the field there is only 1 winner. For most RL racing drivers a win is a rare bonus.

• GT has a single (arcade!) format of overtake all the robots from the back to get a reward.
  • PCars has competitive racing. In PCars the race is the reward

The sense of immersion in this game is excellent. In the past I have often started playing a racing game using assists, but PCars instantly made me want to discard all that stuff and just play it as if it was real life. It might take a little longer to learn to control the car and learn circuits, but the sense of reward as you get better is well worth it.

Of course people buy games for different reasons, but from my perspective most of GT's content is pointless without competitive AI and proper race formats.

The reward (in the behavioural psychology sense: "The motivation for playing") should be the race itself not credits and a paint chip or a tick in the box.

I'll just reiterate; this is my subjective opinion and not meant to impinge on anyone's own enjoyment of GT.

The grip is there, you just have to experiment with it to get what works for you. Darin as ISR has a good video for starting play with the FFB. Most of the settings you leave alone and there are a few crucial ones. It's also important to use the HUD telemetry to make sure your wheel isn't clipping as you will lose valuable FFB at the limit. If you've played for a while and are just discovering more settings, don't take this the wrong way, but maybe it's time to slow down a little, do a little research and figure out how to dial in the FFB before moving forward.

I actually got around to driving some of the Formula cars tonight and these are a different "kettle of fish" altogether. Yes, I can now feel a lot through the wheel and it does feel about right. Even in the rain they felt good.

In its current state Project Cars is a bad joke and miles away from being a serious competition.

I expected a lot, way too much as I know now, but damn those backers who overhyped this game. It's ridiculous...

Am I right in saying that PCARS doesn't have proper triple screen support and GT5/6 do?

By proper, I mean multiview, where angled side monitors are given compensation so as to not have a distorted image. Considering that it apparently took one guy only four days to implement a comprehensive multiview setup in Assetto Corsa, it is pretty shameful if the pc version of PCARS is without it.

If you like rubber band ai this game isn't for you, or at least that's what I noticed. I have determined people complaining about cars not turn and stuff are most likely overdriving the cars and experience severe understeer. Playing with the sensitivity helps, I can't get manual transmission to downshift properly with thumbstick, meaning I am stuck with auto transmission until I figure it out

Back