IS PD lazy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 180 comments
  • 11,508 views
In most ways GT6 looks better than GT5. In a few ways, GT5 looked better, such as GT5 had more anti-aliasing. I think PD made the decision to have a little less anti-aliasing, and in return they can get better shadows, better blur, better smoke, better lighting, etc. I usually would not like that compromise, but in GT6's case, it's probably worth it. GT6 is looking pretty good..

I'll like GT6 more if it comes out for PS4 I am sure, or maybe we'll just have to wait for GT7 for the real "next gen" eye candy that I have been seeing on PC for years.
 
Whoops, of course I can't compare GT4 to GT5! My bad, I totally forgot that....:crazy:

And yes, the graphics of the PS3 are at its limits. Even in GT6!
But as it looks, the AI and the base model of GT is just a polished GT5. It looks a little nicer, has a few more cars and some new tracks.
But what is really new? Tracks, cars added.
  • AI, sound, graphics, car physics improved.
  • speed effects (blurring, shaking)
  • In car clocks and trip tachometers work.
  • paint chips aren't consumed
  • settings A/B/C can have separate pain jobs
  • The cam/pov moves during collisions etc.
  • npc waves checkered flag at race finish.
  • blind spot indicators
  • leaves falling
  • flapping mud flaps
  • start menu (selecting/tuning car)
  • tuning menu
  • wing removal
  • nice camera angles in garage gallery
  • sound of stones hitting underside of car, seeing sparks.
  • speed through menus
  • changing colour of dials
  • fitting and unfitting weight reduction and engine tuning
  • friends leader boards for licences
  • ghost lines instead of ghost car
Are there races with qualifying and not only a rolling start? Is the Arcade mode better and more interesting? Just because they don't have the features that YOU want, doesn't make it bad.
Just those little changes, that could make the game better...what is there?

And don't get me wrong guys, I never played Forza, so I don't compare it to any other racing game. I just compare it to GT games, which I played all and loved all.
I just thought after watching at least 10-15 videos, that GT6 looks the same as GT5.....again IN MY OPINION.

Sounds like you're just unhappy because features that you wanted weren't added. Now, I've made my point twice to you now, quit asking the same qustions. If you don't like the game, then don't buy it and stop complaining.

The bolded part is what I have added to your post.
 
"IS PD lazy?"

As if the only possible reason to why the product didn't meet your expectiations is because the developer was being lazy.

Come on. :rolleyes:
 
Look at things from another perspective. What if PD is extremely limited by the capabilities of the system (PS3)? There are only so many features PD can cram into a console with a complicated technical structure and dated specs (256MB of ram, even entry level smartphones have surpassed that figure nowadays)
 
Do people read "new cars" as "cars new to the series" or "cars made recently"?

If you look at it as cars with model years after GT5, there's really not a lot.
 
i deleted gt5 and still no gt6 for me.
Seen videos and seen list of same problems as gt5 has that makes me angry. Wont support them until they deliver GT6 totally, especially sound. Then if they make it complete ill start playing it again. I have ps4 now too so maybe gt7 will be out before gt6 is actually done. My guess is this game is ment for ps4 but published on ps3 to get cash. Like battlefield4, on ps3 it sucks..
 
Okay Okay, I know I can't blame them too much because I haven't played GT6.
But I watched a lot of clips from GT6 and they could've been all from GT5 IMO.


And don't get me wrong, I loved every GT title so far. The jump from GT4 to GT5 was great and a lot changed from there VISUALLY!
It just don't seem to be the same with GT5 to GT6. So for me it just is a update to GT5 -_-

And again, that is just my opinion! Maybe I'm too picky, but hell, I just expected a bigger step from GT5.

LOL, wow.
 
Seeing GT6 struggle to maintain a solid framerate, plus the screentearing and low-res graphics/filtering...that to me says everything: this game should have been on the PS4. BUT, doing so would have basically admitted GT5 was an embarrassment in terms of development time.

Yes, there are minor improvements all around in GT6, but as others have said, this feels far more like a GT5.5, than a proper GT6. For me, I'll be waiting for the next (proper) GT game on the PS4.
 
Hey OP! Look what you did!

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 3.27.09 PM.png


You made Kaz cry! Didn't your mother tell you if you don't have something nice to say, you don't say it at all? Some people are so inconsiderate, seriously...
 
Are you kidding me ??

"Is PD lazy" LoL

PD is the only developer who build the cars exactly like the real ones. The cars look identical ! In other games the cars only look similar but not like the real ones.
PD needs nearly 6 months for 1 (Premium) car and you are Talking about lazy?????


Hahaha :lol:

No!

Please take off the fanboy hat, and look at Forza 5 and Project cars. Their cars are every bit as detailed, with project Cars taking it another step. Should I mention that this idiotic 6 month per car statement has also been stated by Turn 10? I don't know what's worse. That PD and Turn 10 are making the statement, or that people are silly enough to take them to heart. If you spend 6 months on a single car, then something is very wrong with your work process. Of course it's a mute point ,as they do not in fact spend that much time. At least not in the literal sense.

Whether PD are lazy or just plain incompetent, I dare not say for sure. However, I would guess it's a bit of both. Alongside having a boss who clearly doesn't know game design, and how to communicate with his staff and consumers.

One really does have to wonder what on earth was going through their heads, when they decided that going for an even higher native resolution with GT6 was a good idea. While I never noticed any framerate issues in GT5 aside from replays in the rain, tests clearly shows that it has problems maintaining a constant FPS of 60. So who in their right mind would think it would be a good idea to go for a higher resolution? You're just making it worse!
 
Last edited:
nope it's not laziness that's happening here, its technically called progressive development...so keep yourself intact for further updates soon.
 
Hahaha :lol:

No!

Please take off the fanboy hat, and look at Forza 5 and Project cars. Their cars are every bit as detailed, with project Cars taking it another step. Should I mentione that this idiotic 6 month per car statement has also been stated by Turn 10? I don't know what's worse. That PD and Turn 10 are making the statement, or that people are silly enough to take them to heart. If you spend 6 months on a single car, then something is very wrong with your work process. Of course it's a mute point ,as they do not in fact spend that much time. At least not in the literal sense.

Whether PD are lazy or just plain incompetent, I dare not say for sure. However, I would guess it's a bit of both. Alongside having a boss who clearly doesn't know game design, and how to communicate with your staff and consumers.

One really does have to wonder what on earth was going through their heads, when they decided that going for an even higher native resolution with GT6 was a good idea. While I never noticed any framerate issues in GT5 aside from replays in the rain, tests clearly shows that it has problems maintaining a constant FPS of 60. So who in their right mind would think it would be a good idea to go for a higher resolution? You're just making it worse!
OMG, i guess you are a great boss of some video game developer huh?!

Man, some of you guys are sooooo smart...
 
I agree with you OP, GT6 feels like a patched GT5 with new UI.
Standard cars are disappointing till, i'd rather they focus on creating premium cars than trying to fix up terrible PS2 models. Quality over quantity!

I respect how genuinely Kaz loves his cars, but I think he has forgotten that GT is first and foremost a video game(you're disillusioned if you think otherwise). A game needs to be fun, it needs to have good AI you can race against, livery edits, tuning and a fun career mode. Get your core game right before doing useless stuff like astro simulation, gps data, vision gt and other useless features.
 
- People are exaggerating the sound issue. The sound isn't always outstanding, but it's always at least passable at a minimum.

No, people are not exaggerating the sound issue. Have you got cotton wool in ears? Have you ever actually heard a Ferrari V12's song? I have, at full chat. There's no other sound like it. It's as unique as the S1 Quattro, have you heard that in GT6? That's no Quattro S1!!

The clue is in the title of the game, 15th Anniversary. That means PD has had 15 years to get some realistic sounds into this game and they still fail to deliver. It's damn well embarrasing. It's THE biggest request the GT community have asked for for years. It should have been the 1# priority for PD to have this sorted at launch, not in an update 2 years down the line (if it ever materializes). If they couldn't get it in at launch, don't release the product. I haven't paid £60GBP to be a beta tester, where has this fashion come from for the games industry to think it's perfectly acceptible to release products at full price that are half finished?!
 
Last edited:
OMG, i guess you are a great boss of some video game developer huh?!

Man, some of you guys are sooooo smart...

Well...he is right, its basic math...
 
You have to see it on your TV, the rain drops are looking MUCH better in GT6! They are High Res now and are looking great, no comparison to the low res ones from GT5!

I have to partially disagree with you. The actual appearence is better in GT6 but the effect was way better in GT5. In GT5 you couldn't see through the windscreen where the wipers weren't in contact with it. Also, as your speed increased, the water ran back up the glass, I don't see that in GT6. If PD had given us the same effect as GT5 but with the visual enhancements of GT6, that would have superb.
 
Okay Okay, I know I can't blame them too much because I haven't played GT6.
But I watched a lot of clips from GT6 and they could've been all from GT5 IMO.

And don't get me wrong, I loved every GT title so far. The jump from GT4 to GT5 was great and a lot changed from there VISUALLY!
It just don't seem to be the same with GT5 to GT6. So for me it just is a update to GT5 -_-

And again, that is just my opinion! Maybe I'm too picky, but hell, I just expected a bigger step from GT5.

You haven't even played the game and you're calling it GT5.5 and calling PD lazy? Sweet Jesus...Of course the gap visually is going to be smaller than GT4-5. It was on a whole new console...Here's what you need to know about GT6.

It looks better. (That video you posted you can actually see that everything other than the rain on the windshield looks better)

There is more to do.

The UI is much better.

The paint system is better.

The sounds (not just engine sounds) have improved.

A-spec is finally fun.

The special events are a blast.

The new tracks are awesome.

The new cars are awesome.

The driving is much MUCH better and more fun than GT5.
 
Short answer: Maybe. Maybe not.



Taking out dupes, the amount of new cars added to GT6 is under 100. And why always so eager to compare it to FM5 all the time?

Ex-Forza player that wasn't happy with the franchise after FM2 when T10 made some decisions they didn't like. Removal of custom lobbies and career leaderboards being the main culprits. A few members of the TRC and HBR teams I recognise here taking shots at T10 whenever the opportunity arrives. Let it go guys. it's been 5-6 years now.

OT - I wouldn't say PD are lazy. There comes a time where you have to make choices (like not going next gen) that may effect the game, goals set and even the company. Obviously not everyone will like the outcome of these choices maybe not even the people making the choices. But they need to be made if anything is to be achieved.
 
Don't think its laziness per se, Kaz just has better things to do with his time than mess about with a game.
 
This is just my opinion on your points…

- Still awful sounds

Agree with this 100% although there are a few expecting (red bull x2011 for example)

- Nearly no new cars (I mean, where are the new Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, etc etc)
Some nice additions, more is always better but not much to complain in my book! Plus we're getting to drive cars before their even available to buy!! Can't ask much more to be honest!

- Still standard cars
Not great but i've got used to it in GT5 and kinda accepted it long before GT6 was out.

-Still no feature to tune cars visually (at least a bit)
Not too fussed over this, GRID or NFS is the right type of game for this.

- And who really needs 50 Mazda MX-7s or Skylines?
PD should definally do a clear out for the next game , i mean some cars are literally the same car but with a different name for different countries!!! And the skyline purple edition… well i could just paint my other skyline purple!!!!!

- Tracks look pretty flat and boring (Like it always was, even in GT5)
The new lighting they have in GT6 adds a lot to every track, i actually feel like i'm driving in different seasons of the year each time i do a race on certains tracks, and i have to add that the list of tracks is amazing, it's like every new addition for GT6 was picking from my wish list!!

You make valid points here but for me you have missed out the worse aspect of GT6… The AI.

Really really shocking for a 2013 game, the first few laps of every race are a pain in the 🤬 as i bump into every other car that stops in the middle of every apex leaving me with nowhere to go!! but then i clear the AI and GT6 clicks!!! the physics are amazing and the game is a joy to play with a clear track… shame there isn't any actual decent racing to compliment the amazing physics!!
 
I basically agree with OP.

Awful sounds: In my opinion the game looks and sounds worse than GT5. Seems that all of the new premium cars sound really, really bad to me, plus they really messed up how the cars sound in different views. Tire squeal is super annoying. Drifting sounds like how massive, horrendous over-steer would sound rendered by an 8 bit Nintendo. Graphically things look worse too: road and grass looks flatter and less textured. Car interior quality has gone down considerably as well, just check out the video on the first page.

No new cars: There's a decent amount, but not enough of the ones I want.

Standard cars: Doesn't really bother me but I don't drive them.

Visual car tuner: They oversold and under delivered here.

50 Miata's: Seriously they need to weed out some of these models. 1200 cars is complete BS. If you count all the variations of a car as just one model, 1200 drops down to like 450 unique models.
 
Hahaha :lol:

No!

Please take off the fanboy hat, and look at Forza 5 and Project cars. Their cars are every bit as detailed, with project Cars taking it another step. Should I mention that this idiotic 6 month per car statement has also been stated by Turn 10? I don't know what's worse. That PD and Turn 10 are making the statement, or that people are silly enough to take them to heart. If you spend 6 months on a single car, then something is very wrong with your work process. Of course it's a mute point ,as they do not in fact spend that much time. At least not in the literal sense.

Whether PD are lazy or just plain incompetent, I dare not say for sure. However, I would guess it's a bit of both. Alongside having a boss who clearly doesn't know game design, and how to communicate with his staff and consumers.

One really does have to wonder what on earth was going through their heads, when they decided that going for an even higher native resolution with GT6 was a good idea. While I never noticed any framerate issues in GT5 aside from replays in the rain, tests clearly shows that it has problems maintaining a constant FPS of 60. So who in their right mind would think it would be a good idea to go for a higher resolution? You're just making it worse!

You didnt get me.

1. The cars in Forza or ProjectCars are looking good, but iam not Talking about good looking , iam Talking about identical look! You dont have to believe me , just Check for yourself. For example the SLS in Forza and PC. Iam a huge Mercedes Fan , a mercedes Freak. Sorry but the SLS in these Games have nothing to do with the real One. But in GT, it Looks exactly like the real one !

Are you understanding now?

BTW if they (Turn10) would work on a car for 6 months too (they never do) that still wouldnt mean that PD is lazy lol . Thats even not an argument at all, instead it Makes my Argument (->PD is not lazy !) stronger.

Ps: if you still dont believe that PD Makes the best modells i can upload some pics , especially interior pics.
 
You didnt get me.

1. The cars in Forza or ProjectCars are looking good, but iam not Talking about good looking , iam Talking about identical look! You dont have to believe me , just Check for yourself. For example the SLS in Forza and PC. Iam a huge Mercedes Fan , a mercedes Freak. Sorry but the SLS in these Games have nothing to do with the real One. But in GT, it Looks exactly like the real one !

Are you understanding now?

BTW if they (Turn10) would work on a car for 6 months too (they never do) that still wouldnt mean that PD is lazy lol . Thats even not an argument at all, instead it Makes my Argument (->PD is not lazy !) stronger.

Ps: if you still dont believe that PD Makes the best modells i can upload some pics , especially interior pics.

I think it's worth uploading them anyway. I'm interested to see the differences, it's always good to see side b side comparissons.
 
Lazy? Probably not. Really bad when it comes to making decisions? That's very likely.
 
I wouldn't say PD are ultimately lazy. However they've become extremely complacent over the years and it's that which is holding them back.
 
You didnt get me.

Ps: if you still dont believe that PD Makes the best modells i can upload some pics , especially interior pics.

I am interested to see some comparison pics, esp where they differ. I was always under the impression these studios are given the car's exact measurements from manufacturers.

On a related note, im fairly sure PD is not the best as I remember a while back. Some professional CG car modeler pointing out a lot of their mistakes.
 
You didnt get me.

1. The cars in Forza or ProjectCars are looking good, but iam not Talking about good looking , iam Talking about identical look! You dont have to believe me , just Check for yourself. For example the SLS in Forza and PC. Iam a huge Mercedes Fan , a mercedes Freak. Sorry but the SLS in these Games have nothing to do with the real One. But in GT, it Looks exactly like the real one !

Are you understanding now?

BTW if they (Turn10) would work on a car for 6 months too (they never do) that still wouldnt mean that PD is lazy lol . Thats even not an argument at all, instead it Makes my Argument (->PD is not lazy !) stronger.

Ps: if you still dont believe that PD Makes the best modells i can upload some pics , especially interior pics.
That is true for some cars, but i cant say its true for standard cars that still is the majority of cars in GT6. This is the problem with the game now, you have perfect cars and then you have the rest with variable grade of how they look.
Somehow it feels like you get a retrogame within the new game. Good to be able to drive many cars but i feel as its a cheating way to do so. As if standards really have the right carsettings as premiums. They should at least ad a filter to only show premium models.

I agree with you OP, GT6 feels like a patched GT5 with new UI.
Standard cars are disappointing till, i'd rather they focus on creating premium cars than trying to fix up terrible PS2 models. Quality over quantity!

I respect how genuinely Kaz loves his cars, but I think he has forgotten that GT is first and foremost a video game(you're disillusioned if you think otherwise). A game needs to be fun, it needs to have good AI you can race against, livery edits, tuning and a fun career mode. Get your core game right before doing useless stuff like astro simulation, gps data, vision gt and other useless features.
So true, GT starts to feel like a advertising game more than a racegame. But as i said earlier..gt6 was developed for ps4 in mind.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I will tell you this, They have gotten out a verson that they found satisfying for us to use, so that the wait for Gt7 on PS4 will look more manageable compared to the rerelase of GT5 back then. Some of you earlier were saying that the difference in graphics and functionalities were not to be compared becaue one was on Ps2 whilsth Gt5 came outfor the ps3. then you could probable get this comparison going then, how was it for GT3 people to go on GT4? Bothe were on the same console right?.

Also take that in mind. You feel like to product was not complete, would guys have waited that they decide to move the release date agin and again like they did with GT5? perhaps taking the risk of loosing people because they would've decided to screp the ps3 version and go to ps4, but with anothr 3-5 years hiatus? I bet not. IT,s still a work in progress.
If they decide it,s good to be released, they feel like it , I recommend we wait.
 
You didnt get me.

1. The cars in Forza or ProjectCars are looking good, but iam not Talking about good looking , iam Talking about identical look! You dont have to believe me , just Check for yourself. For example the SLS in Forza and PC. Iam a huge Mercedes Fan , a mercedes Freak. Sorry but the SLS in these Games have nothing to do with the real One. But in GT, it Looks exactly like the real one !

Are you understanding now?

BTW if they (Turn10) would work on a car for 6 months too (they never do) that still wouldnt mean that PD is lazy lol . Thats even not an argument at all, instead it Makes my Argument (->PD is not lazy !) stronger.

Ps: if you still dont believe that PD Makes the best modells i can upload some pics , especially interior pics.

Take it to the dedicated FM5 vs GT6 thread, that's what it's there for 👍
 
Back