IS PD lazy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 180 comments
  • 11,508 views
Give it some time. The game was just released, of course there's going to be some problems with it. There's no such thing as a "glitch-free" game. Every game has it's flaws, even through extensive patching and updates.
I'm sure your opinion will change once the two massive patches make landfall in late December and early-to-mid January.
 
The game is almost perfect to me. I enjoy fighting with the new AI, the new physics, aero & tire models are amazing, & the customization is almost top notch. If I were to complain, it would be for the lack of hood, fenders, trunk when using the interior view on standard cars. It's really annoying when driving older japanese cars where the side view mirrors were placed on the front fenders.
 
So 3 years after the release of GT5 ..

NO new re-written game engine as an excuse this time , and GT6 seems like another PD half arsed attempt at a game , I am very dissapointed after buying every game and supporting PD I feel very let down
Historically GT games have always gone in a trend of bad / good / bad good , due to new game engines being written and such like, the 2nd game on which ever format generally was the better more polished version.

GT2 / GT4 were evolutions of the GT1 & GT3 , and were much improved with content and configurations.

So what's happend to GT6 ...

We have new physics bugs - instead of a more solid polished version
new tire model bugs - instead of a solid tire model
cars that we could mod in gt5 , now we cant ( aero & wheels )
promised game aspects that have not been released.

and a whole heap of things that are causing issues, skid force recovery for example

I was not expecting a complete new GT game.. but a more polished GT5 ...and this is some kind of a joke...

Once again PD have released a half finished " we'll update it later " load of garbage.
There is no excuse this time.. its not a new engine or new console, it literally should have been streamline polish up and new content.

SO what the hell have PD been playing at for 3years...

If the updates dont come thick and fast with some serious new stuff , this will be my last GT and I will go back to PC sim racing.

What are your thoughts on GT6 and what PD have released ?
I think the new tracks, new physics model, and new lighting setup are worth the price of entry alone.

Yes, there are disappointments, agreed.

I think you probably need to go back to PC sims.
 
I remember playing the old GT games and no one then seemed to complain too much about how bad the AI was, or how the physics were totally unrealistic, or how so many important manufacturers were not present such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, McLaren, Maserati etc. I believe we've gained far more than we've lost. Invariably, many people look back on the past with rose-tinted glasses. This constant pessimism does pee me off so.
 
The game was just released, I'm sure the annoying bugs at the moment will be fixed via update.
If the A.I. and sounds are fixed it would be near perfect game for me.
This is my point though... there should be minimal bugs and errors. They have had 3 years to iron them out and again havent.

15 years and we are still listening to the same ****** engine sounds. 15 years to perfect a streamline solid user interface.. ( yes this one is faster.. but why on licences do you have to keep coming out of it to go back in for the next one )..unfinished again.

Some developers create an entire game from scratch and produce a more solid polished package then this in 1-2 years...not 15. . I paid £60 for this.. and after 15 years... imo.. its not good enough.
 
This is my point though... there should be minimal bugs and errors. They have had 3 years to iron them out and again havent.

15 years and we are still listening to the same ****** engine sounds. 15 years to perfect a streamline solid user interface.. ( yes this one is faster.. but why on licences do you have to keep coming out of it to go back in for the next one ).

Some developers create an entire game from scratch and produce a more solid polished package then this in 1-2 years...not 15. . I paid £60 for this.. and after 15 years... imo.. its not good enough.

Well, you know what to do if you're that disappointed. Return it and get your money back. Job done.
 
@SPORTVAN I was talking about the small bugs, not the things that have not been fixed for years.
 
This is my point though... there should be minimal bugs and errors. They have had 3 years to iron them out and again havent.

15 years and we are still listening to the same ****** engine sounds. 15 years to perfect a streamline solid user interface.. ( yes this one is faster.. but why on licences do you have to keep coming out of it to go back in for the next one )..unfinished again.

Some developers create an entire game from scratch and produce a more solid polished package then this in 1-2 years...not 15. . I paid £60 for this.. and after 15 years... imo.. its not good enough.

You act like they've spent 15 years on GT6, when PD have actually created at least 8 major releases (GT1-6, GTPSP, and TT) in that time frame.

You can't just carry over the same game code from one release to another. You effectively have to reprogram every single game, especially when on a new engine, such as GT6 is.

PD have had 15 years to polish the formula of GT, which they have done a damn good job of. However, they have not had 15 years to polish GT6.

Never expect a game to be perfect. You will always be disappointed.
 
Last edited:
Is that even a question?
 
Fantastic game. Load times are massively reduced, both online and offline. I jumped into an Online session for about 5 hours on release day and had no problems at all, it was as smooth as anything. In the age where online modes are broken for most games on release I was left really impressed.
 
Strange. TC wants GT6 to be a more polished version of GT5. A GT5.5 so to say. According to a lot of whining people GT6 is just that. *Shrugs* Every GT game has issues. Nothing can be perfect. I'm sure in a few months everyone will have forgotten their problems and enjoys the work PD has put out.
 
What are your thoughts on GT6 and what PD have released ?
I think the game is excellent and that entitled gamers such as yourself need to understand that nothing is ever going to be perfect. It is a superb game and I am getting tired of the moaning, whining and complaining. If you don't like it then go and play something else instead of polluting the forum with your utter bile.
 
It's absolutely not strange whatsoever, to ask such a question. I came to that conclusion a long, long time ago. And you're 100% correct. It's all across the board. It's not just Polyphony. It's game developers in general.

From a post i made yesterday about sounds, perfect example, with a completely undeniable rationale:


"I've said this on countless forums, and in countless posts. Ever since observing the downward plane crash that is gaming, ever since seeing the Seventh Generation through.
Developers are lazy. And are saving as much, or as little money as possible. Effort has gone through the window. And i came to the conclusion of laziness a long time ago, because you were better off questioning existentialism.
The sounds in GT6 are SO piss-poor, that it's appaling. They better release a big sound update within the next couple of months or so. This is completely unnacceptable. As if the game already doesn't have problems as-is. There are a LOT of cars missing from the lineup. But the least they could have done, is mix a lot of sounds to create new ones. Forza doesn't even have completely authentic sounds for a lot of its cars, but the sound team LOGICALLY knows what an American V8 sounds like, or what a Straight-6 sounds like. RB powered cars sounds pretty well on the mark. Especially the GTRs. Those are authentic sounds. But that doesn't mean they can't create their OWN sounds using a GENERAL understanding, or SAMPLES through EXPERIENCE, to create sounds for cars which don't sound REMOTELY CORRECT.
The Vettes still have that trumpet sound that completely prevents me from driving the cars. It's painful to listen to. Excited to drive the Shelby GT500, i get in the car (my brother watching me playing, because he was curious, too), and we face-palm, then laugh our asses off simultaneously. "Chasing perfection"? Are these people TRYING to PURPOSEFULLY look like idiots? SERIOUSLY?!"



If the SOUNDS in the game aren't any indication, then i don't know what is. You bet your ass they're lazy. Along with all of the other douches in the gaming industry who seek to maximize profits by compensating video game quality. You're absolutely not one to worry if your interpretation of laziness is wrong. Because it isn't. It's sickening...(The current state of gaming)
 
I don't think they are lazy, their ambitions just exceed their capacity.

👍

On the surface, GT6 isn't that great, as shown by your list of complaints.
This sounds corny and dated, but you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. You failed to mention the improved physics engine, the new KW Auto suspension model, the Yokohama tyre data, the new aero data used for downforce, along with the most impressive track roster I've ever seen in a racing title. Bathurst, Spa-F, Laguna Seca, Nurburgring, Daytona, Silverstone....the list goes on and on, not to mention the original circuits. You don't seem too happy about all the Skylines and MX5's. Well, if PD asked me "Hey, we can use these cars that we already have modeled with our new physics engine. Would you like to keep them or remove them?" I would say keep them if they could and continue to add cars instead of removing existing ones (Cough, Forza, cough)

GT6 is a Sim, and a damn fine one at that. As Nielsen pointed out, their ambitions are high, and contrary to popular belief, they aren't a massive studio. Heck, if PD is lazy, then I wonder what Treyarch and Infinity Ward are known as....for releasing the same game year after year, haha.
 
I am really excited about getting back to playing the game whenever I am away from it. That is a good sign.
 
Guys, you remember the state GT5 released in? Look what it became in the end. They'll fix it all. No worries.
 
I'd have a hard time coming up with a legit list of complaints.

-I'd like for Custom Part installation to effect PP (front downforce) and/or show me the difference (rear downforce, flat floors).
-I'd like to know what is coming up after the Super events are complete.
-I'd like to see the difference the Car's Settings have on PP as they happen (power limiter).
-I'd like for the AI to quit punting me. The Blindspot Indicator is really the Red Arrow of Death.
Yeah, stuff like this makes up the real problems. Why is the Super License a bazillion times harder than any of the others and has the worst selection of cars ever? Seriously, screw the Veyron, damned brick of a car.

-Pretty sure custom parts affected PP in 5, so I don't see what happened.
-I want my "reset transmission" button back. If it's still there, I can't find it.
-I don't know why you have to select a power setting before seeing the result now, that's very small and very annoying.

I'm starting to wonder if they didn't start from some highly specific build of GT5 that no one's ever seen...

Either way, how can I talk to the correct Sony office or PDI about things like this?
_________
I remember playing the old GT games and no one then seemed to complain too much about how bad the AI was, or how the physics were totally unrealistic, or how so many important manufacturers were not present such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, McLaren, Maserati etc. I believe we've gained far more than we've lost. Invariably, many people look back on the past with rose-tinted glasses. This constant pessimism does pee me off so.
Pretty much all of my research on this series has led to this. Apparently people were able to "tolerate" this before 5... and can still tolerate it today, as long as it's not GT5 or 6. It seems no one realizes that having the same formula or parts of that formula for numerous entries in a series should tell you that Someone Important doesn't see that formula or those parts as a problem or problems, and it also seems that no one's ever thought about why.
 
Last edited:
Maybe we should come back to this discussion when they have the three big updates out and see whats added and fixed. We might be surprised with what we get. Then again we will have people who wont be happy.
 
From what I've seen so far (I don't have GT6), GT6 looks more like GT5.5

- Still awful sounds
- Nearly no new cars (I mean, where are the new Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, etc etc)
- Still standard cars
- Still no feature to tune cars visually (at least a bit)
- And who really needs 50 Mazda MX-7s or Skylines?
- Tracks look pretty flat and boring (Like it always was, even in GT5)
- And I guess the list goes on.

Also, some things just got worse and I wonder why!?
Just look at this:



For me, GT6 doesn't look as good as it could be...or it should be.
Just look what other developers done with the last generation games of the PS3. GTA, The Last of Us, Beyond,....
They all made a great big step. Just compare GTA4 to it's new one. You see how much effort they put in the new game to improve it.
GT6 instead, it just looks the same as before to me. Sadly.... :(

I just hope now that they really set the bar for the PS4 version. It's definitely needed IMO.

Or what do you guys think? Please prove me wrong if you can. :)


The last time I checked, PD officials aren't breaking into people's houses with assault rifles and forcing them to their nearest retailer to purchase GT6. Why not just play something else, if you truly believe that PD is lazy? ;)
 
Maybe we should come back to this discussion when they have the three big updates out and see whats added and fixed. We might be surprised with what we get. Then again we will have people who wont be happy.

Nope, too much logic involved with that notion. And yes....people will still bitch.
 
Pretty much all of my research on this series has led to this. Apparently people were able to "tolerate" this before 5... and can still tolerate it today, as long as it's not GT5 or 6. It seems no one realizes that having the same formula or parts of that formula for numerous entries in a series should tell you that Someone Important doesn't see that formula or those parts as a problem or problems, and it also seems that no one's ever thought about why.

In part I think it is because the technology (and competition) have moved on. GT1 & GT2 you could only play with a digital controller - not the most effective or nuanced control method for driving. This at least made it a little more challenging. In addition the quirky car list & dedication to the graphics & driving feel were all a novelty especially on the PS1

However even back then my friends & I used to complain the AI was too easy. I used to only try to pass the guy in first on the finish line - which meant you'd be following him for two laps as close as you could, & then try to pass him doing a handbrake turn, as close to the line as possible. Sit back have a smoke & watch the replay :)

These days we expect so much more - those of us who enjoyed GT1 didn't really expect to be playing against what is essentially the same AI 15 years later :/

So why has the AI barely changed in all that time? I suspect it is because it was coded by Kaz himself. As a software engineer I know that it is possible the be very proud of your own coding at times & sometimes if that needs to be rewritten or updated it can feel a bit personal.

Unfortunately as the head of the studio Kaz has the power to say - ok guys don't worry about the AI, I'll tweak that and get it sorted, you guys get on with everything else.

These days the AI in GT is probably the worst on any format - I haven't played it, but it wouldn't surprise me if mario karts did a better job!
 
You don't seem too happy about all the Skylines and MX5's. Well, if PD asked me "Hey, we can use these cars that we already have modeled with our new physics engine. Would you like to keep them or remove them?" I would say keep them if they could and continue to add cars instead of removing existing ones (Cough, Forza, cough)

I would still remove them.

It's annoying seeing Miatas and RX-7s all over the place when browsing the Mazda delarship. The same goes with Nissan, Honda, and Mitsubishi with their Skylines, S2000s, and 3000GTs, respectively. And with the exception of the 3000GT, it's especially irritatting when I'm trying to find the premium model of these cars. Searching for a needle in a haystack is what it is.

A lot of these duplicates are just filler so PD can brag about having "1200" cars. Heck, I think that's the reason standard cars are there in the first place.

And I'm personally okay with Forza not resorting to using old car models in their next-gen game. Quality over quantity. PD is going to have to do the same for GT7/PS4. Keeping standard cars for another generation would be an absolute joke, and I'm not just talking about their graphics.
 
I would still remove them.

It's annoying seeing Miatas and RX-7s all over the place when browsing the Mazda delarship. The same goes with Nissan, Honda, and Mitsubishi with their Skylines, S2000s, and 3000GTs, respectively. And with the exception of the 3000GT, it's especially irritatting when I'm trying to find the premium model of these cars. Searching for a needle in a haystack is what it is.

A lot of these duplicates are just filler so PD can brag about having "1200" cars. Heck, I think that's the reason standard cars are there in the first place.

And I'm personally okay with Forza not resorting to using old car models in their next-gen game. Quality over quantity. PD is going to have to do the same for GT7/PS4. Keeping standard cars for another generation would be an absolute joke, and I'm not just talking about their graphics.

Agreed. No need at all for 1200+ cars, it's just bloatware. The 15GB download might have only been 10GB without the gap fillers. Remove ALL standard cars, have just premium models then concentrate on making those the best they can.

By the way, how can you tell it's a premium model when looking in the dealerships? Speaking of dealerships, where's the online dealership!
 
Back