IS PD lazy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 180 comments
  • 11,508 views
New UI is nice. But it's nice and clean partly because features have been removed. ..Not just because its nicer. when you have less features to clutter the screen it will load faster etc.

No proper free run with lap time/car used recorder. Annoying.
No 0-60 or 1/4 mile.
no shuffle race
no prize cars or prize car tickets. No racing suite gifts.


These are all simply ignored and not ported over for seemingly no apparent reason. Just time and PDs will to include them.
 
PD is far from lazy. I truly believe they love what they do and while there are things in the game that might make you question their decisions, it's still a labor of love. Where I believe PD falls flat is in the actual design and concept of a "videogame". PD will spend thousands of man-hours getting the stitching right on the interior of a premium car, but then fail to give more than a passing glance to the options for the actual racing you can do in the game. Career mode is 2-3 lap sprint races with you playing catch the leader. It's not fun playing catch the leader for every race. And some races (like the classic car races later in the career mode) will have the lambo miura or the chaparral flying in first which then limits me to what cars I can use. I can't take an old muscle car I like into those races now because it's impossible to catch the leader!! It's bizarre.

Why isn't there a simple event generator? Why is it so cumbersome to simply run an arcade mode with full tuning options & the entire car list? I want to take what PD has created and make a real 60+ lap race complete with qualifying, mandatory pitstops and fuel consumption and tough AI that will fight me all the way. It would be AMAZING because the foundation is all here, it's all ready to be made but PD doesn't make it for us. I know people will tell me to go online but I really just want an amazing single player racing simulator that I can enjoy. It's all just a bit frustrating.
 
I think the problem is is that they've had no competition. Sure, there're driving games on PS3 but GT is pretty much the only game that has explored the depths of racing games to the extent that it has.

I hope it will all change on the PS4 with Drive Club. There'll be an alternative, a direct competitor. Especially in the visual and sound department.
 
Positive things:
- 37 tracks
- so much better and faster UI than in the GT5
- nice and better night racing
- some tracks improved
- visual tuning (on the cars)
- qualifying in the online races
- one of the best handling (In the history of video game consoles)

Negative things:
- still awful sounds
- some tracks unchanged
- in the cokpit view poor weather system Find it on YouTube: Gran Turismo 6 Vs Gran Turismo 5 Rain Effect
- soundtrack
- I don't find my friends list in the menu (For what? Example: I can't see the profile of my friends.)
- still standard cars
- no endurance races... (WTF!!)
- too easy career mod
- still no leaderboards just in the licens

Disappointment.
 
Yes they are. But it's turned more into a big car advert than an inventive game.
 
And while some Standards have been updated (and I'll freely admit to being wrong about my original predictions on how much they would improve), there are still large swaths of them that have been untouched for what's now going on 13 years.

Which cars haven't been touched since 2001?!
 
1. They don't listen to customers, or not as much as they should.
2. They don't have their priorities set right. They will put a lunar moon mission in the game, but will overlook areas that are more important and need improvement.

It's like working on a science project thats due in a week when you have a math test the next day, one thing fails and the other is well done.
 
its not laziness...its two problems...a complete disconnect between the developer and their consumer base, and a total lack of project management...
To answer the OP i couldn't phrase it any better 👍
 
I haven't played the GT6 yet but I definitely wouldn't call them lazy.

But, despite the brand new engine, maybe they're doing the coding and programming wrong. Probably all those premium cars, effects, tracks and etc. are eating up too much of a RAM meanwhile it could be coded in a different way to preserve all the current quality (if not improve it) and lower the RAM/GPU/etc usage. Just my opinion.
 
All things aside, the new UI and heavily reducing loading times alone deserve merit and recognition. Personally, I'm loving GT6 at the moment. It feels fresh, and the way cars move (especially when watching from replays :drool:) is so much better than GT5.
Is PD lazy? I don't think so. Understaffed? Yes.
 
Last edited:
So 3 years after the release of GT5 ..

NO new re-written game engine as an excuse this time , and GT6 seems like another PD half arsed attempt at a game , I am very dissapointed after buying every game and supporting PD I feel very let down
Historically GT games have always gone in a trend of bad / good / bad good , due to new game engines being written and such like, the 2nd game on which ever format generally was the better more polished version.

GT2 / GT4 were evolutions of the GT1 & GT3 , and were much improved with content and configurations.

So what's happend to GT6 ...

We have new physics bugs - instead of a more solid polished version
new tire model bugs - instead of a solid tire model
cars that we could mod in gt5 , now we cant ( aero & wheels )
promised game aspects that have not been released.

and a whole heap of things that are causing issues, skid force recovery for example

I was not expecting a complete new GT game.. but a more polished GT5 ...and this is some kind of a joke...

Once again PD have released a half finished " we'll update it later " load of garbage.
There is no excuse this time.. its not a new engine or new console, it literally should have been streamline polish up and new content.

SO what the hell have PD been playing at for 3years...

If the updates dont come thick and fast with some serious new stuff , this will be my last GT and I will go back to PC sim racing.

What are your thoughts on GT6 and what PD have released ?
 
My thoughts on gt6 is this is the best racing game out right now but the errors are killing me

Exactly... historically the 2nd game on a console is the more rich and polished version.. this is worse than GT5 in many area's
 
Great game. Big improvement over GT5 IMO. Not forced to do B-Spec, Coffee break returned, National licenses (setup more like the old GT games), new cars, new tracks, better AI, amazing lighting, dynamic weather is better, jaggies are gone, fantastic UI, no more waiting for the Used Dealership to rotate to find the car you want. Ace.
 
Correction on the no re-written game engine, they rewrote the aero, tires, and suspension parts of the physics engine. So yes, they did rewrite it partially.

I feel that GT6 is a massive improvement over GT5.
 
My thoughts on gt6 is this is the best racing game out right now but the errors are killing me
I agree, I love the game, although there are some issues that no doubt will be fixed. This does detract from the game which I am enjoying. Just need some minor tweaks! :)
 
The game was just released, I'm sure the annoying bugs at the moment will be fixed via update.
If the A.I. and sounds are fixed it would be near perfect game for me.
 
Last edited:
Great game. Big improvement over GT5 IMO. Not forced to do B-Spec, Coffee break returned, National licenses (setup more like the old GT games), new cars, new tracks, better AI, amazing lighting, dynamic weather is better, jaggies are gone, fantastic UI, no more waiting for the Used Dealership to rotate to find the car you want. Ace.
I'd have a hard time coming up with a legit list of complaints.

-I'd like for Custom Part installation to effect PP (front downforce) and/or show me the difference (rear downforce, flat floors).
-I'd like to know what is coming up after the Super events are complete.
-I'd like to see the difference the Car's Settings have on PP as they happen (power limiter).
-I'd like for the AI to quit punting me. The Blindspot Indicator is really the Red Arrow of Death.
 
Back