IS PD lazy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 180 comments
  • 11,508 views
I am enjoying the game. I didn't buy GT5 till end of last year so didn't see the issues to begin with. However, I have played games recently (on the PC admittedly) where the game is so broken it is unplayable and it takes 6 months and 3 major updates (plus some minor ones) to get it right, though those games are yearly releases so have shorter dev timeframe.

I don't think PD are lazy at all (at least, no more than other game developers) but I do question their priorities: Did we really need a night sky where every star is in the exact position as real life? Did we really need the Lunar stuff? (the lunar stuff, from what Kaz has said, sounds like it wasn't a case of "what do our players need?" or "what does the game need?" but rather "let's do it because we can!"

Sound-wise, yes it still has issues but is an improvement on GT5; graphically, on the whole, is a lot better (especially night-time); cars-wise, sure we don't need 50,000 MX-5s but it was to be expected; menu system is a lot cleaner (although I may be the only one who preferred GT5s menu!); licences go back to mattering rather than the pointlessness of GT5 (even if they are easier and shorter); AI is better but not perfect; new track additions are very good choices (I always have a soft spot for Brands Hatch having seen racing there numerous times) and I like Apricot Hill back.

The only thing that takes away a tiny bit of enjoyment for me is the suspension physics. While I will admit that it is much better than GT5, I find that a lot of the cars I have driven so far have excessive side-to-side roll and make the car very unstable (upgrading the suspension often helps but it just doesn't feel realistic).

Ultimately, I am looking forward to playing this game for a long time and looking forward to improvements/new events that I am sure will regularly appear
 
Yes you are confused CDJW. You're confusing F5 with GT6 and that's not good. Can you please list any cars that are locked behind a paywall (day one) in GT?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Forza-5-Top-Car-Run-You-110-Why-Okay-60798.html

"Gamereactor does a good job of breaking down the Euro to token ratio, where they explain how tokens can be used to buy extra goods from the microtransaction store. The thing is, Forza 5 isn't free-to-play and all those locked cars in the game are already on the disc... it's not extra content, it's disc-locked content. Oh yeah, you all remember disc-locked content, don't you?"

"Turn 10 Studios' creative director Dan Greenwalt spoke to ShackNews about the angry gamer base who was livid about the day-one, disc-locked content and exorbitant prices attached to the cash shop – something most gamers would expect from a wallet-gouging, free-to-play, Korean-knockoff of World of Warcraft."

What is disc locked in GT6 CDJW?
If FM5 content is disc locked, that's bad but I can't agree with the rest of the article that it's necessary to spend thirty pounds or more for each of the extra cars that I had access to by spending a one-off twenty quid extra for the Limited Edition. It may be pushed pretty hard but I didn't feel forced to buy anything else since Rivals aren't compulsory to progress in the game. the 1250 tokens and 5 million credits I was gifted with the game didn't hurt either so I don't really feel as hard done by as other people seem to be.

Apologies for the off-topic.
 
Last edited:
If FM5 content is disc locked...


That's it. The attempt at a point you were trying to prove ends right there. There's no "if". It's a fact. It's also a fact that GT6 doesn't do this.
 
Nope they're working on a PS4 version of GT ... What they should do is develop a server based version of GT that anyone can download and play on any device. Charge 20 bucks a month to play. That would make much more money in the long run.
 
- Still awful sounds - Some engine sounds have been improved. A step in the right direction anyway.
- Nearly no new cars (I mean, where are the new Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, etc etc) - There are many new cars, just maybe not the ones you want.
- Still standard cars - Yes, but the standard cars in GT6 look alot better than they did in GT5
- Still no feature to tune cars visually (at least a bit) - Not sure what you mean by this one.
- And who really needs 50 Mazda MX-7s or Skylines? - The only valid point you have here.
- Tracks look pretty flat and boring (Like it always was, even in GT5) - Looks can be deceiving. Maybe you should try driving them first before passing judgement.
- And I guess the list goes on. - Yes, it does, but in a positive way.

Tracks, cars added.
  • AI, sound, graphics, car physics improved.
  • speed effects (blurring, shaking)
  • In car clocks and trip tachometers work.
  • paint chips aren't consumed
  • settings A/B/C can have separate pain jobs
  • The cam/pov moves during collisions etc.
  • npc waves checkered flag at race finish.
  • blind spot indicators
  • leaves falling
  • flapping mud flaps
  • start menu (selecting/tuning car)
  • tuning menu
  • wing removal
  • nice camera angles in garage gallery
  • sound of stones hitting underside of car, seeing sparks.
  • speed through menus
  • changing colour of dials
  • fitting and unfitting weight reduction and engine tuning
  • friends leader boards for licences
  • ghost lines instead of ghost car
And, the list goes on. :sly:

Maybe you should buy the game and actually play it before asking such a stupid question like "Is PD Lazy" Just because the game doesn't suit you, doesn't mean that the developer is lazy.

How do you get separtate paint jobs for each A,B,C, car setting ??
I've tried but each time i change paint it is the same for A,B, and C !
 
From what I've seen so far (I don't have GT6), GT6 looks more like GT5.5

- Still awful sounds
- Nearly no new cars (I mean, where are the new Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, etc etc)
- Still standard cars
- Still no feature to tune cars visually (at least a bit)
- And who really needs 50 Mazda MX-7s or Skylines?
- Tracks look pretty flat and boring (Like it always was, even in GT5)
- And I guess the list goes on.

Also, some things just got worse and I wonder why!?
Just look at this:



For me, GT6 doesn't look as good as it could be...or it should be.
Just look what other developers done with the last generation games of the PS3. GTA, The Last of Us, Beyond,....
They all made a great big step. Just compare GTA4 to it's new one. You see how much effort they put in the new game to improve it.
GT6 instead, it just looks the same as before to me. Sadly.... :(

I just hope now that they really set the bar for the PS4 version. It's definitely needed IMO.

Or what do you guys think? Please prove me wrong if you can. :)


I think more incompetent then lazy. They pushed the PS3 way too hard, and it shows. They've even admitted years ago they've created content more suitable to the PS4, yet they insisted on releasing again on the PS3. Was it Sony pulling the strings? But you cant blame Sony for all the legacy issues that continue to plague the game.

GT7 will speak volumes about the future of PD. If the game doesnt get totally revamped and brought up to minimal modern standards, then the franchise is dead. Sony will close the doors.

Kaz better get GT7 out fast. Because if the wait is another 3 years then sales will be even worse then GT6, especially with project cars beating it to the PS4. You cant leave a bad taste in somebody's mouth and then take your sweet time to make it right. Thankfully Kaz appears to have GT7 on the fast track
 
The more I play GT6 the more I appreciate their efforts. Fantastic menu, amazing graphics and gameplay. Love the tracks in the game as well. For me tracks are more important than cars. I would love a track pack and vision GT cars new BMW M4 coupe definitely needs cockpit :banghead:
 
I don't think PD is lazy I think they're just a dangerous combination of hard headed and oblivious.

In this forum alone there is massively aligned thoughts on what the game needs and where the focus should be and yet again we get a game with 50 variants of Miatas, Skylines, and other vehicular nonsense, and a credit accumulation system that is monumentally insulting. Yet another GT grind session.

Mazdaspeed6, 60,000 credits, Subaru STI, 50,000 credits or something like that. It's like a child did the vehicle value research, and an even smaller child conceived the credit reward structure. Anyone notice that no more than a few days in they've already had to dig into the valuations and in the update a bunch of the higher priced metal has been dramatically reduced in price? And even with these concessions, it's still so far out of line it's cruelly comical.

Then insult to injury they have this pay for credit system that costs someone (crazy enough to pay for it) $150 in real cash to obtain one of the many $20m credit vehicles. I don't expect to be able to own one of these $20m vehicles without reasonably high effort, but the effort to obtain one, yet alone the full collection is indefensibly absurd.
If they took the time to actually listen to the users and stop with these senseless tangents like moon missions, maybe this forum wouldn't be full with a flow of endless grievances.

Nobody is expecting a game where they just hand over enough credits in the game to buy all the cars in two days, but when I'm 40% through the game and I've only made 1.5m credits, there is a massive disconnect.
 
I think I figured it out... PD wanted to make the Ayrton Senna of racing games: lively and engaging and good. I think they accidentally made Michael Schumacher: aside from a few technical glitches the game is incredibly technically competent, but almost entirely joyless. It's very very good and very very boring. PD didn't enjoy themselves making it, they took it too seriously, and as a result, you don't get to enjoy playing it.

In GT5, you'd win a stupid little series, and they'd reward you with a multi-million dollar supercar. It made less than no sense and it wasn't very good from a technical standpoint, but it was a fun surprise. It made you laugh.

I've yet to have any "fun surprises" in GT6. It feels like a chore, not a past-time... I keep waiting for the fun bit to start, but now that I'm halfway through International-A, I'm afraid that it's just not coming...
 
I would answer the OP with "yes"; they basically ported GT4 into 5 and 5 into 6 ... I'm sure they spend lot's of time on the physics and mapping those stars, but they have been too lazy to actually renew things and bring their game into the 21st century, not to worry as it will sell millions anyway whatever they put on the shelve...

Cashing in on their success and fame from the past; and getting more and more cheeky with it, with this whole less credits/ buy expensive credit packs scheme we have all of a sudden.
 
I think more incompetent then lazy. They pushed the PS3 way too hard, and it shows. They've even admitted years ago they've created content more suitable to the PS4, yet they insisted on releasing again on the PS3. Was it Sony pulling the strings? But you cant blame Sony for all the legacy issues that continue to plague the game.

GT7 will speak volumes about the future of PD. If the game doesnt get totally revamped and brought up to minimal modern standards, then the franchise is dead. Sony will close the doors.

Kaz better get GT7 out fast. Because if the wait is another 3 years then sales will be even worse then GT6, especially with project cars beating it to the PS4. You cant leave a bad taste in somebody's mouth and then take your sweet time to make it right. Thankfully Kaz appears to have GT7 on the fast track


I don't think Sony will close the doors of PD, but for the right amount of money they would sell it off. If Sony, and PD was smart they would release the next version of GT on multiple platforms being that PS4, XB1, PCs, and Macs are all on the 64bit X86 hardware standard, or make GT like WOW or something like Onlive, and be totally hardware independent.
 
I don't think Sony will close the doors of PD, but for the right amount of money they would sell it off. If Sony, and PD was smart they would release the next version of GT on multiple platforms being that PS4, XB1, PCs, and Macs are all on the 64bit X86 hardware standard, or make GT like WOW or something like Onlive, and be totally hardware independent.

1. Releasing an exclusive best seller on a competing platform such as the X Box, may not be a smart move in the long term. It won't help to sell any more playstations, that's for sure.

2. Hardware independence isn't all good. Compromises have to be made when designing and optimising across multiple platforms. GT6 would not look as good as it does on the PS3 if it had been designed from the ground up to be on all the major platforms.
 
I don't think Sony will close the doors of PD, but for the right amount of money they would sell it off. If Sony, and PD was smart they would release the next version of GT on multiple platforms being that PS4, XB1, PCs, and Macs are all on the 64bit X86 hardware standard, or make GT like WOW or something like Onlive, and be totally hardware independent.

Yeah, Sony is really dumb, they should release GT on Xbox and other platforms so that all 70 million gear-heads never buy another PlayStation again.

That way, Xbox gets 2 triple A racing titles and sell much more consoles than ever before.....really smart.
 
Am I the only one that thinks the rain effect is actually better in GT6? In GT5 the rain was very pixelated and obstructed your vision to much to where driving in the rain while using the cockpit camera was unbearable.
 
Yeah, Sony is really dumb, they should release GT on Xbox and other platforms so that all 70 million gear-heads never buy another PlayStation again.

That way, Xbox gets 2 triple A racing titles and sell much more consoles than ever before.....really smart.


People every year buy more A.R.M. based devices than X86 based devices. With advent of virtualization, cloud storage, cloud computing, services like netflix, steam, and onlive in about 5 years the PS4, XB1, and the WiiU will be obsolete, and irreverent devices like the Nokia N-Gage. I'm just waiting when I can download a version of a virtualization software like Virtualbox that I can put in my main VM server that I can run PS4 Orbis, and XB1 Windows on my VM Server then display, and play PS4, and XB1 titles on my android powered smart tv, tablet, or smart phone via an app that I downloaded off Google Play. So it would be in the best interest of Sony, and PD to develop GT as a cloud based service that people pay monthly, or yearly, because people are getting use to using streaming entertainment, and high speed internet connection are only going to be faster from now on.
 
1. Releasing an exclusive best seller on a competing platform such as the X Box, may not be a smart move in the long term. It won't help to sell any more playstations, that's for sure.

2. Hardware independence isn't all good. Compromises have to be made when designing and optimising across multiple platforms. GT6 would not look as good as it does on the PS3 if it had been designed from the ground up to be on all the major platforms.

PS3 is an out going platform, but the 64bit X86, and A.R.M hardware architecture is alive and well if you read my previous post I explained it really well. PS4, XB1, iMac, and PCs all share 64bit X86 hardware architecture so writing the source code should be pretty easy, the hard part is all the legal paperwork that Sony, and PD would have jump through.
 
PS3 is an out going platform, but the 64bit X86, and A.R.M hardware architecture is alive and well if you read my previous post I explained it really well. PS4, XB1, iMac, and PCs all share 64bit X86 hardware architecture so writing the source code should be pretty easy, the hard part is all the legal paperwork that Sony, and PD would have jump through.
I was referring to the PS3 really.

But even so, there are differences between the PS4 and the X Box One, for example, that mean you have to make some compromises. The PS4 has 50% more CU units in the GPU than the X Box One, but the X Box has other advantages. The memory architectures are very different.

Call of duty, for example, runs at 720p on the Xbox one, and 1080p on the PS4 - there is a reason for that.

Granted, the differences are less on the new platforms, but I think with an exclusive (like the GT series) good devs will always heavily optimise for the target platform, which is not a luxury you can have on a multi platform title.


Last 2 paragraphs here:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...nce-compared-using-representative-pc-hardware
 
Last edited:
People every year buy more A.R.M. based devices than X86 based devices. With advent of virtualization, cloud storage, cloud computing, services like netflix, steam, and onlive in about 5 years the PS4, XB1, and the WiiU will be obsolete, and irreverent devices like the Nokia N-Gage. I'm just waiting when I can download a version of a virtualization software like Virtualbox that I can put in my main VM server that I can run PS4 Orbis, and XB1 Windows on my VM Server then display, and play PS4, and XB1 titles on my android powered smart tv, tablet, or smart phone via an app that I downloaded off Google Play. So it would be in the best interest of Sony, and PD to develop GT as a cloud based service that people pay monthly, or yearly, because people are getting use to using streaming entertainment, and high speed internet connection are only going to be faster from now on.
Pie in the sky... cloud gaming is always five years away.. PC will be obsolete! Yeah right. When monkeys fly out of my ...

And with all that epic-leet-skillz and fortune teller knowledge... you still double post!!
 
Have you ever heard of http://www.onlive.com/ ? If you have a 7mb internet connection you can play video games instantly on your TV, mac, PC, tablet, and smartphone in 1080p ... OnLive has been in existence since 2003 so yeah cloud gaming is 10 years old.

PC sales have dropped every year for the past 3 years...

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2647517
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324695104578414973888155516
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24470639

BWX you better check your ... I can hear some monkeys about to come out if it...

BWX
Pie in the sky... cloud gaming is always five years away.. PC will be obsolete! Yeah right. When monkeys fly out of my ...

And with all that epic-leet-skillz and fortune teller knowledge... you still double post!!
 
Have you ever heard of http://www.onlive.com/ ? If you have a 7mb internet connection you can play video games instantly on your TV, mac, PC, tablet, and smartphone in 1080p ... OnLive has been in existence since 2003 so yeah cloud gaming is 10 years old.

PC sales have dropped every year for the past 3 years...

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2647517
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324695104578414973888155516
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24470639

BWX you better check your ... I can hear some monkeys about to come out if it...
I don't see PCs being obsolete yet, nor consoles, because of cloud gaming.. not now, not any time soon.
/done
 
they do a good job of updating the game , not lazy.. but odd
after Taku Imasaki answers to gtplanet questions its seems they just dont care what the customer thinks & wants , they make a game for themselves
 
Wow yer in a bubble ...


BWX
I don't see PCs being obsolete yet, nor consoles, because of cloud gaming.. not now, not any time soon.
/done
 
Have you ever heard of http://www.onlive.com/ ? If you have a 7mb internet connection you can play video games instantly on your TV, mac, PC, tablet, and smartphone in 1080p ..
You mean that company that basically ended up being gutted and valued at virtually nothing only two years after launching the thing it was founded to do? OnLive is about as good of an example of the public embracing stream-based gaming as the PSP Go was for them embracing digital distribution.

OnLive has been in existence since 2003 so yeah cloud gaming is 10 years old.
The company existing does not mean the same thing as the service it provided, which actually launched in 2010, existing.
 
Last edited:
Wow yer in a bubble ...
Wow you have no comeback. Wait 5 years and we'll see. This thread will still be here and I can embarrass you then.
 
It's not a comeback I base my opinions in facts not mindless fanboy drivel, and being in the IT Industry since 1996 I have seen large companies die and become history. As in IT, Cloud services, virtualization, and fee based software are mainstream. It's just a matter of time video games will go to remote fee based services that you can play on anything that is connected to the Internet. Just look what happen to Blockbuster, and Hollywood Video when Netflix, Redbox, and other fee based movie stream services came into existence they are dying or already dead. Why did Sony create PlayStation Now? It doesn't take a genius seeing that tablets, smartphones, and other internet connect devices sell ten times as much as consoles do per year. Look at Nintendo it just a matter of time before they will be another Sega or Atari just selling games. You're few fries short of a full happy meal aren't you? Oh you're from New York that explains everything. Nanny of Nanny States ... The monkeys are coming better hold on to something it could hurt!

BWX
Wow you have no comeback. Wait 5 years and we'll see. This thread will still be here and I can embarrass you then.
 
It's not a comeback I base my opinions in facts not mindless fanboy drivel, and being in the IT Industry since 1996 I have seen large companies die and become history. As in IT, Cloud services, virtualization, and fee based software are mainstream. It's just a matter of time video games will go to remote fee based services that you can play on anything that is connected to the Internet. Just look what happen to Blockbuster, and Hollywood Video when Netflix, Redbox, and other fee based movie stream services came into existence they are dying or already dead. Why did Sony create PlayStation Now? It doesn't take a genius seeing that tablets, smartphones, and other internet connect devices sell ten times as much as consoles do per year. Look at Nintendo it just a matter of time before they will be another Sega or Atari just selling games. You're few fries short of a full happy meal aren't you? Oh you're from New York that explains everything. Nanny of Nanny States ... The monkeys are coming better hold on to something it could hurt!
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/is-pd-lazy.292571/page-6#post-9240530
 
*edit*

Oh - old topic.

Ignore this post.
 
They're not lazy ..they add new other funny :mischievous: things called .. BUGS :lol:


IR
 
Back