IS PD lazy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 180 comments
  • 11,508 views
I actually think the tracks look at lot nicer than in GT5 - especially Spa and Nurburgring GP circuit. The lighting is much improved as well. My only gripe are the textures on trees and rocks, which are lower res compared to GT5. I guess they had to compensate somewhere.

Sounds are still not quite right, and the AI are pretty useless, but deep down I think we all knew these areas weren't going to be improved much.

With regards to them being lazy, I just think they didn't get things finished in time. So they got the essential stuff in for release, and will then add in the extra stuff over time. It's not a great situation, considering it will probably be a year before all the patches are released, but it will get me to come back to the game more frequently than I would have otherwise.

I agree with most of the reviews for this game: It's great, but there are two or three really obvious ways in which it can be improved.
 
Agreed. No need at all for 1200+ cars, it's just bloatware. The 15GB download might have only been 10GB without the gap fillers. Remove ALL standard cars, have just premium models then concentrate on making those the best they can.

By the way, how can you tell it's a premium model when looking in the dealerships? Speaking of dealerships, where's the online dealership!

Only premium cars have the "Gallery View" option.
 
I don't think PD is lazy, I just think their priorities are out of whack.

The cars that made Gran Turismo what it is today are still standard cars with horrible engine sounds.

I'm biased since I own one (my car in my avatar) but take for example the GC Subaru Impreza. Still a standard car with a black shadow for a incar view. Still doesn't sound like a Subaru and when you put exhaust on it... it sounds even worse.

Need for Speed Shift has the Subaru boxer sound down perfectly on the first try. I think of the GT series as the best car simulation on a console but it gets harder when these fiction cars have more detail and look better than cars that have been in GT for 15 years.
 
Only premium cars have the "Gallery View" option.

Thanks for that. I thought that only premium models got a proper interior view though? The Countach has supposed to have gotten cockpit view now (haven't checked) but I'm sure it doesn't have galley view?

Also, they've taken the car demo away. It used to let you listen to the engine note, was good to decide if you could stand it for more than 5 minutes!
 
I don't think PD is lazy, I just think their priorities are out of whack.

The cars that made Gran Turismo what it is today are still standard cars with horrible engine sounds.

I'm biased since I own one (my car in my avatar) but take for example the GC Subaru Impreza. Still a standard car with a black shadow for a incar view. Still doesn't sound like a Subaru and when you put exhaust on it... it sounds even worse.

Need for Speed Shift has the Subaru boxer sound down perfectly on the first try. I think of the GT series as the best car simulation on a console but it gets harder when these fiction cars have more detail and look better than cars that have been in GT for 15 years.

Quite true. Dirt 3 has reasonable sounds too. Best I've heard for the Quattro S1 and S1 E2 Pikes Peak. The supercharger whine on the compound charged S4 Delta sounds believable.

As for the GT sounds, I've stated my opinions elsewhere but I will say this: If PD can't get the sounds right, then for interior views on sports cars/race cars, drown the engine sounds out with gravel noise when needed and lots of transmission whine. I could live with that quite happily.
 
I'm staying positive because I can see the potential of the game.
It will get better and better, step by step.

And it's not like I was expecting a finished product anyway, you see; I bought GT5 @ release and went through much of this :banghead::confused::mad::ouch::yuck:🤬:eek::guilty::(:lol::rolleyes::banghead: already.

But as I said, this game will be kick a** in about 1/2 year.
Always look on the bright side, things can only get better. :cheers:
 
This game just seems like a slight update on 5 with a push towards making people spend hundreds of dollars on microtransactions. After playing it a couple of days, I'm not thrilled with it, but it's semi-fun. Should have been a 30 dollar game in my opinion though. I find it odd that a lot of the tracks seem even more graphically outdated than GT5 did. They never have a realistic organic look like other games. Lots of obvious polygon construction and bad textures.
 
This game just seems like a slight update on 5 with a push towards making people spend hundreds of dollars on microtransactions. After playing it a couple of days, I'm not thrilled with it, but it's semi-fun. Should have been a 30 dollar game in my opinion though. I find it odd that a lot of the tracks seem even more graphically outdated than GT5 did. They never have a realistic organic look like other games. Lots of obvious polygon construction and bad textures.

How are they "pushing" you to spend money on microtransactions? Either you will grind or buy GT bucks or do both. It's called.... a choice, no? :boggled:
 
You have a choice, but like Forza 5, they do their best at making sure it's going to take so long to make any kind of money that you'll get frustrated and buy credits. Just compare how easy it is to acquire prize cars and money in GT5. It's obvious what they're trying to do.
 
You have a choice, but like Forza 5, they do their best at making sure it's going to take so long to make any kind of money that you'll get frustrated and buy credits. Just compare how easy it is to acquire prize cars and money in GT5. It's obvious what they're trying to do.

I don't understand. GT has always been a grind. How is GT6 any different? And... they're anything but being like T10 and F5. Would you rather have PD sell you a $60 game and put cars behind a paywall that actually forces you to spend money for content? I don't get it. In the short amount of time I've owned GT6 I've managed to buy some really good "starter cars", driver helmets and suits (which are little pricey) and upgrade cars to my whim. My money will only mount and garage will only grow from here.
 
Speaking of dealerships, where's the online dealership!

The same place as the offline used car dealership.

The only point of the online dealership seemed to be to fill in rare or needed-for-single-player standards, but neither function is still needed with the move of everything into a single dealership. And unlike the UCD, the online dealership was all zero-mile cars that didn't offer any discounts.
 
There are no cars in F5 that HAVE to be bought using in game tokens. They can all be earned by racing. There's DLC content, but ALL games have this, including GT and you aren't required to buy DLC if you don't want it.
 
I'm confused. Those links basically describe everything exactly as I said already. Both GT and Forza have the same micro transaction setup. People playing Forza just seem to be more outraged about it. I don't see where there's any cars that have to be bought with tokens instead of racing if you want to play 24-7 to get them that way. Please post a list of cars in the game that you can't buy with in game credits through racing. I'd like to see it.
 
I'm confused. Those links basically describe everything exactly as I said already. Both GT and Forza have the same micro transaction setup. People playing Forza just seem to be more outraged about it. I don't see where there's any cars that have to be bought with tokens instead of racing if you want to play 24-7 to get them that way. Please post a list of cars in the game that you can't buy with in game credits through racing. I'd like to see it.


Yes you are confused CDJW. You're confusing F5 with GT6 and that's not good. Can you please list any cars that are locked behind a paywall (day one) in GT?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Forza-5-Top-Car-Run-You-110-Why-Okay-60798.html

"Gamereactor does a good job of breaking down the Euro to token ratio, where they explain how tokens can be used to buy extra goods from the microtransaction store. The thing is, Forza 5 isn't free-to-play and all those locked cars in the game are already on the disc... it's not extra content, it's disc-locked content. Oh yeah, you all remember disc-locked content, don't you?"

"Turn 10 Studios' creative director Dan Greenwalt spoke to ShackNews about the angry gamer base who was livid about the day-one, disc-locked content and exorbitant prices attached to the cash shop – something most gamers would expect from a wallet-gouging, free-to-play, Korean-knockoff of World of Warcraft."

What is disc locked in GT6 CDJW?
 
I'm staying positive because I can see the potential of the game.
It will get better and better, step by step.

And it's not like I was expecting a finished product anyway, you see; I bought GT5 @ release and went through much of this :banghead::confused::mad::ouch::yuck:🤬:eek::guilty::(:lol::rolleyes::banghead: already.

But as I said, this game will be kick a** in about 1/2 year.
Always look on the bright side, things can only get better. :cheers:

they have had 3 years to make it better... and FAILED AGAIN... why the hell do we have to wait for updates & patches.. a few cars and tracks ..and a the poxy bit of tweaking they have done is not 3 years worth of work.. If I were the boss ... and the one paying the wages.. there would be some sacking going on.
 
They're not lazy. They're just too damn stubborn and willfully ignorant of the genre outside of their own little GT bubble. They've convinced themselves their formula is the best and come hell or high water they're sticking to it.

One bullet point I disagree with: the graphics aren't better or worse; they're different. PD decided to change the lighting, color palette and effects more than anything else. I prefer the tone of GT5, as I find it more realistic and immersive, but I understand what they were going for in GT6.
 
They're not lazy. They're just too damn stubborn and willfully ignorant of the genre outside of their own little GT bubble. They've convinced themselves their formula is the best and come hell or high water they're sticking to it.

One bullet point I disagree with: the graphics aren't better or worse; they're different. PD decided to change the lighting, color palette and effects more than anything else. I prefer the tone of GT5, as I find it more realistic and immersive, but I understand what they were going for in GT6.

Graphics are worse. I was on Spa today in a single race using that black IF Concept car. The shadow of the trees on the dashboard looked like I was in Minecraft, terrible. I'll get a photo and upload it soon on this thread. It's with a phone camera but I'll put it on a tripod to get it as good as I can. When I saw it I was speechless, I really was. I watched it on replay a couple of times just to make sure i wasn't seeing things. You won't believe it otherwise.
 
I don't understand. GT has always been a grind. How is GT6 any different?
I consider myself an avid GT player, having played every single one somewhat extensively.

I put a decent amount of time into GT1, but I can't really comment on the grind aspect; largely because I felt GT2 made it irrelevant so I ultimately abandoned it about halfway through.

For GT2, I've done the GT All Stars race at Red Rock so many times that I couldn't even begin to count it. Before I got a Gameshark, making even that unnecessary unless I built up a new car that I wanted to try in it. Then I started playing it on my PSP, which has similar capabilities. Almost all of my enjoyment with GT2, and why I continue to play it to this day long after I abandoned GT4 and GT5, comes from what I consider the best car list the series ever had as well as the huge amount of access the game gives you to almost all of it.

For GT3, I bought it mostly to experiment (continuing the play style I used in GT2, where money is merely a means to build new cars to play with) and make hybrids to my exact specifications, so money was irrelevant. Buy a garbage car, turn it into the car I need, continue from there.

For GT4, my B-Spec to A-Spec ratio was probably 20:1; so money was never a problem. Put it on B-Spec, turn on PiP and change the channel.

GTPSP was pretty crap (especially in the "go the long way" fashion since it was so blatantly padded) and I didn't play it too much before just going back to GT2, but I played that with cheats too so I didn't have to put up with any of its badly designed nonsense.

For GT5, my B-Spec to A-Spec ratio was probably 20:1 as well; but it just took a lot longer because I couldn't fast forward races. I ultimately played it as I did GT2 and GT3, building cars that I can play around with for a bit, usually ultimately abandoning them when I grew bored; but it still lost its luster because of the problems with how it was made (that have mostly carried over unchanged in GT6, no less).

Maybe GT was always been a grind to you, but that's hardly an excuse to make it worse by taking away options to get around it and stripping even more of the traditional GT aspects of the game. Except for that new one where now you can give PD money to do so.
 
They are probably the most dedicated devs out there. GT6 graphics and physics is a considerable upgrade. Although so far I have not raced in more than 6 cars. Which is reckon is due to due to improvements they made but had to cut down in number of cars in SP. Sound is also improved, menu are neat. I have not played much but lots of changes to GT5.
 
I think the problem is is that they've had no competition. Sure, there're driving games on PS3 but GT is pretty much the only game that has explored the depths of racing games to the extent that it has.

I hope it will all change on the PS4 with Drive Club. There'll be an alternative, a direct competitor. Especially in the visual and sound department.

Don't forget Project CARS!
 
they have had 3 years to make it better... and FAILED AGAIN... why the hell do we have to wait for updates & patches.. a few cars and tracks ..and a the poxy bit of tweaking they have done is not 3 years worth of work.. If I were the boss ... and the one paying the wages.. there would be some sacking going on.

They rewrote the physics engine, with the incorporated tyre model and suspension research with commercial partners.

They rewrote the rendering engine, with a brand new lighting model

They added new tracks. Mt. Panorama, Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Willow Springs Raceway, Goodwood, Apricot H, GT Arena, 3 Matterhorn routes. Enhancements to old tracks.

They re-jigged the UI

They created 200+ premium car models and enhanced some of the older ones

And this is only the major bullet points.

They have obviously spent time on the GPS stuff and the track stuff which will see the light of day next year.

These posts make me laugh. It is very convenient and easy to summarise what went on in these 3 years with throw away comments such as 'poxy bit of tweaking' etc. but the reality is, by these comments, posters reveal a lack of knowledge of just what is involved in developing a massive undertaking like this.
 
The only time I would say that PD were lazy is in the modelling of the car tyres. For some inextricable reason, they have chosen not to model them correctly, on some, though not all cars within the game. Now, this might wash with standard models, but it is unforgivable on premium cars. The whole point of premium is the increased level of detail, so how did PD think that we would not notice something as glaring as this oversight. If the details on the premium cars are akin to car porn, then seeing that lazy inside tyre wall, is like to seeing your mother naked! :yuck:
 
Okay, Okay, I can't blame them at all since I haven't played GT6, AT ALL!

There I fixed it for you.



...And don't get me wrong, I loved every GT title so far. The jump from GT4 to GT5 was great and a lot changed from there VISUALLY!
It just don't seem to be the same with GT5 to GT6. So for me it just is a update to GT5 -_-

And again, that is just my opinion! Maybe I'm too picky, but hell, I just expected a bigger step from GT5.

The reason why the jump from GT4 to GT5 seemed like a big difference to you is because GT4 was on PS2, and GT5 was on PS3... Quit your whining and play the game before you criticize it... Like they say, you can't judge a book by its cover!
 
snip
And why always so eager to compare it to FM5 all the time?
snip
What else would you compare it to other than Forza titles and previous GT titles. There is nothing else that compares and FM5 is the current competitor so.

I saw someone else said it was because I am an ex Forza player who didn't like the direction they took after 2 which is somewhat correct. I surely did not like what they removed from the game yet I continued to play Forza 3 and 4 and would have picked up 5 as well even though they gutted the content if not for the fact that they do not support the Forza wheel. So I guess technically I am an ex Forza player now but I was a GT player before Forza so ...
 
IMO PD should get their priorities straight. They have even simulated stars and planets! It's like they were thinking like "oh we just need the stars to be just like in real life, screw the engine sound quality, all players are way more focused on the sky seeing the stars at night, and if they see that a star isn't put where it is IRL then we're screwed. The fans don't look at the road when driving or listen to the car sound."

I swear, when the car sounds have improved to like Forza or better, this game would be so much more popular. Alot of other stuff they put in the game is excellent but the car sounds, the car sounds....
 
I swear, when the car sounds have improved to like Forza or better, this game would be so much more popular. Alot of other stuff they put in the game is excellent but the car sounds, the car sounds....

Hey sejtur, long time mate! You were always one of my favourite Gran Turismo artists/photographers, from back in the day. Respect man. :) 👍
 
Thanks magburner, that's nice to hear! 👍 Indeed a long time! You made great pics as well! Those GT4 days were awesome hahah.
 
There are no cars in F5 that HAVE to be bought using in game tokens. They can all be earned by racing. There's DLC content, but ALL games have this, including GT and you aren't required to buy DLC if you don't want it.
Well my brother got FM5 on release day and last I spoke with him he was up to level 120 in the game and had only managed to get 20 cars, mostly due to the 1/2 price sale they offered. In FM4 I had that many within the first hour of playing.

In GT6 I have over 100 cars already.

T10 does sort of force you to buy DLC as well. I do not know what they are doing in FM5 other than what my brother has told me but I know what they have done in the past. In many of the DLC packs they will add a car that is faster than everything in the game in a given class or classes and if you are like many of us and try to get the best possible times in each class then you "MUST" buy this DLC to compete. They also added a rival every month that you could only enter if you bought the DLC that month.

So yes they push it pretty hard. Still you don't don't have to buy it you could just settle for being a few seconds slower than those who did.
 
Back