Is Porsche Pushing Ruf Out of Racing Games?

I personally prefer Porsche over RUF but I don't think it's RUF not being available for new games anymore. I think it's either developers of games have no interest anymore now that Porsche is in, or else part of the deal with Porsche might be that no RUF models are in the same game.

Personally I don't care too much for RUF. If it's in then fine. If not then also fine. But then I'm also someone who cares a lot more about the tracks than the cars (I'm quite neutral towards cars and enjoy driving about everything in racing games).

I'll be honest and say that Porsche is really only important in my mind when it comes to the racing models.

Everything else? Gimmie a RUF instead.

Having driven both Ruf and Porsche in Assetto, I can say it's great fun to compare them. Especially with the same physics engine, you get to feel the handling difference between the two. Hope we don't see the Ruf models disappear altogether, but I could see Porsche demanding exclusivity. After all, Ruf has been feeding at Porsche's trough for many years in the sim racing world. But losing the Yellowbird would bum me out. I still drive that car often in both Assetto and PCars.

I would really hope Porsche's inclusion in many games doesn't spell the end for RUF. Afterall, RUF are unique and a manufacturer in their own right, and I too prefer their creations to Porshce's in general, with only a selection of Porsche racing cars being more significant to me, much like @Silver Arrows.

Otherwise, having being used to RUF for so long, I wouldn't want to see them phased out, after all they've made some really awesome machines, whether it be the BTR, the YellowBird or my personal favourite the CTR 2; which I prefer much more to the 993 Porsche it was based on.

Overall, don't see why the two can't exist at the same time in any game, whether it's GT, Forza, etc, as they're both just as significant IMO.

I don't see RUF disappearing completely from racing games, but I think their existence will probably be trimmed down to just a select few of their current cars like the CTR3 and RGT-8.

The irony here is RUF is technically a much better car then Porsche. I mean they take the shells and completely modify them so much that under German law they are considered a manufacture. Unlike say, shelby who adds performance goodies to stangs (and k cars in the 80s. And the 2nd gen daks), but its still a ford.

I think everyone has gone a lil too much monkeypoo over this Porsche thing. All of us and devlopers alike. Its the classic case of everyone wanting something just because they couldbt have it, while not realizing that they had something superior this whole time.

And i also think its kinda a dick move to RUF that every devloper is just totally forgetting about them and pushing them out cause the new "cool kid" is in town. RUF has helped out racing games with their license for what, almost 2 decades now? And for every developer to juat toss them to the curb like last weeks garbage literaly overnight is rather, dickish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vice is stuff like prostitution and gambling. Vise is the thing that grips.

Only in American English, in the rest of the world it's "vice" ;)

On topic: RUF as a brand is more recognisable to car buffs while Porsche is a far more recognisable brand. If game creators want a headline brand (and they certainly do) then it makes more sense to go for Porsche.

When Porsche was revealed to be arriving in Assetto Corsa several months ago I heard that a stipulation of future licencing was that RUF was to be excluded from future games people told me I was wrong. Look at Forza and Assetto Corsa they cried, failing to understand I meant subsequent releases in any given series.

Seems others are realising I was probably correct. Assuming it is happening it is a pity because RUF has some cool cars. Explains why Porsche would not wish to be seen to have the slower version of one of it's own machines.

Porsche is amazing and makes me excited whenever Forza releases a pack. I buy it in a heartbeat, even for the 100th time. Seeing it in GT has finally made a dream come true, despite it will be hard to go back to the franchise.

But honestly I feel more attached to Ruf thanks to Gran Turismo. Sad or not, I also know a lot more about Ruf than Porsche. Other than the Carrera GT, 918, 550, Cayenne, 928, 924; the dozens of modern 911's feel the same to me. Whereas each Ruf model, despite based on 911's are so unique and with so much personality. BTR, CTR, RGT, RGT8, etc. Such brutal machines.

No wonder my favorite 911 is the 930 3.3 Turbo. It's the closest to those Ruf turbo monsters.

Yeah, the Ruf 918 Spyder is much better than the Porsche version.
I also prefer the Ruf 959, the Ruf 917 K, the Ruf Carrera GT and the Ruf 919 LMP1. :lol:
Comparing apples to oranges here i see? I think all the people who has agreed with me knows what im saying here. Of course when you get into the early porsches, and the classic, one off road cars, to which there is no RUF "variant", thats a different story altogether.

But every porsche flavor that RUF produces, they produce better then the original. Thats kinda their whole business model after all, is it not? I am a big fan of porsche, and have been for a long time. But given the chance to take a basic 911, or a RUF, the RUF is gonna win 100% of the time. Because it indeed is better in every aspect.

All im saying is porsche has its place, in a very specific catagory. But it shouldnt be over shadowing RUF like its the red headed step child.

Also i should add. Not many people get super excited to see a porsche on the street, as they are fairly common. Hell i even worked for a porsche dealer when i was 19 (man that was a fun job!). But what would really excite me is to see a RUF driving on the streets. Ive only seen 1 that i can remember, and i swear it was a clone. Now mind you i lived in south florida for 5 years, where seeing super cars and exotics wasnt exactly a rare occurrence by a long shot, especially living a mile away off the same road as sebring international raceway. And believe it or not, the only ruf i saw, (again clone i still swear it was) was in lil old hicksville elkton md. And yes, it was far more exciting then seeing your average everyday porsche.

Last edited:
Comparing apples to oranges here i see? I think all the people who has agreed with me knows what im saying here. Of course when you get into the early porsches, and the classic, one off road cars, to which there is no RUF "variant", thats a different story altogether.

But every porsche flavor that RUF produces, they produce better then the original. Thats kinda their whole business model after all, is it not? I am a big fan of porsche, and have been for a long time. But given the chance to take a basic 911, or a RUF, the RUF is gonna win 100% of the time. Because it indeed is better in every aspect.

All im saying is porsche has its place, in a very specific catagory. But it shouldnt be over shadowing RUF like its the red headed step child.
Each one has a different vision of them. I don't think they're "better Porsches" just because they can do laps faster. As I said before, for me, they're just tuned Porsches. And I'd rather have the stock version than the tuned one in a game. My opinion. 👍

Each one has a different vision of them. I don't think they're "better Porsches" just because they can do laps faster. As I said before, for me, they're just tuned Porsches. And I'd rather have the stock version than the tuned one in a game. My opinion. 👍
Fair enough. As i say i agree with the classics you had mentioned, but i just dont find it fair to compare them to non exsistent RUF models. And again, not taking anything from Porsche, i just hate the thought of seeing RUF go away, and i believe alot of people do as well. An example, on assetto corsa i have the porsche packs, and the only porsches i personally run are the classic/historic ones. And god are they a blast to race with my g29!

As long as we can have Raul-Welt Begriff kits in racing games, I think I'll be good - and I don't think Porsche is as paranoid about their image like Ferrari was, seeing how RWB kits were indeed applicable to Porsches in NFS2015.

If this is the case, I won't miss RUF all that much. Yeah, I grew up with Gran Turismo and using RUFs, but I played NFS too, and I ended up liking Porsche much better. In my opinion it's better to just have the real deal.

I appreciate Ruf, but I always thought it was a shame how Ruf's role in racing games meant we could only ever have fast and faster "Porsches" in most games. No modest naturally-aspirated 911s, no 356, 914, 924, 944, 968...

The CTR is iconic and a welcome rocket for high-speed highway runs or similar, but even with its modest output by today's standards it's more powerful than I would prefer for more technical driving. Ruf's modern cars are just too much (not that modern Porsche is much better). Less is more!

Back