Is Sony Planning to Release the PlayStation 5 Next Year?

Are they releasing this because of the Scorpio?

x10 TERRAFLOPS - Wut!?

Or because the more the time pass the more TF AMD is able to provide for the same cost just like PS4 pro did in comparison with PS4?
They don't get to decide when AMD will transit to 7nm FinFet, they can only purchase what is available or wait...

Huh, I guess my tech teacher was spot on about every three years something new to the technology field arrives according to a 2018 or 2019 date. I can see this as a big expense to most consumers, it is indeed good, but you'll probably just pay as much for a PC. Which, if you get good overclocking upgrades it'll last you a generation or two. My gripe is that some may be paying $499.99 to the lowest $399.99 due to today's economy. If it was to release that is.

third Apple proves a company should not be afraid to cannibalize it's own market...
Interesting. How has that worked out for Sony's mobile devices division?

But what i do see here in forums is that there are lot of conservative that want old tech to last long...like if you use 5year old mobiles. Im happy that the market is bigger than this forum and understands that this is a better and cheaper way in the long run if you consider all investment in total. And belive me..a month of owning a car is more than a new console hw that lasts for at least 2-3 years (like regular pc updates). And gamemakers will like this too, stable platform = more investors.

Based on your batting average for PS4 tech assertions, we should be looking well forward to the PS5 launching in 2020.

Just another reason to move to PC if console makers are going to bring out new models as regularly as new smartphones.

While it may be an individual console, the PS4 Pro is not indicative of a generational leap or gap. The core experience doesn't differ between the two of them.

I know, I just put that there to show the gap between they launched each console but together PS4 is 5 years apart from PS5 (2018)?

I know, I just put that there to show the gap between they launched each console but together PS4 is 5 years apart from PS5 (2018)?

My apologies then. By the time is releases (should this pan out, that is) as I said, 2019 is a more logical release year and by then the PS4 will have fulfilled the typical six year cycle.

My apologies then. By the time is releases (should this pan out, that is) as I said, 2019 is a more logical release year and by then the PS4 will have fulfilled the typical six year cycle.

2019 sounds right, both the PS4's will have their 3 year cycle. 👍

If so I hope GT7 will be a PS5 game, I don't wanna see another GT6.

Having just two weeks ago upgraded to a PS4 Pro this is of course a certainty.

Having said this, it would be nice to see some stability in the current system - as I've discovered 4K TVs, HDR and PS4 Pros is a long way away from seamlessly working.

And I'm enjoying the crash from rest mode bug too.

Not about to buy another console just yet!

This is simply speculation and to be fair it doesn't mean much. I don't know about this person who thinks there will be a PS5 next year, i don't even know who that is. But a console with such power (>10 TF) would be quite expensive. I don't think Sony is willing to let consumers pay such a huge price.

PS4 Pro has showed us two things so far.
First: we don't need THAT much power. PS4 Pro handles games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and GT Sport in 4K thanks to checkerboarding and the result is simply amazing.
Second: Sony won't release super-expensive gaming hardware. The PS4 Pro is just 100 bucks over the regular model. Yes, they could have packed in even more power but that would have made the Pro way more expansive.

Sony is aiming for a good price-power balance. A >10 TF PS5 would crush that balance. More importantly, i think the person who is assuming things here doesn't know much about the gaming industry. It took Guerrilla six years to create Horizon Zero Dawn. We could see new console hardware every year but gaming development can't keep up with that.

Not much point of 4K console gaming when there will only be a limited amount of 4K games and 4K TVs probably wouldn't sell well because TV stations are still broadcasting stuff from 30 years ago. I don't want to be buying a new console every 3 years. The PS4 has been very disappointing with games the last console that I enjoyed playing was the PS2 new consoles should only come out every 10 years just like a supercar. I don't want it to be like the mobile phone market.

I find it unlikely Sony is planning to release the PS5 this early. The Pro is barely 6 months old. And the checkerboarding the Pro uses to achieve a fake 4K image is pretty tremendous. From where the majority of people sit, they will never notice the difference between checkerboarding and a native 4K image.

Not much point of 4K console gaming when there will only be a limited amount of 4K games and 4K TVs probably wouldn't sell well because TV stations are still broadcasting stuff from 30 years ago. I don't want to be buying a new console every 3 years. The PS4 has been very disappointing with games the last console that I enjoyed playing was the PS2 new consoles should only come out every 10 years just like a supercar. I don't want it to be like the mobile phone market.

The comparison to the mobile phone market is pretty appropriate in the PC hardware space, because if you were keeping up with it technology is moving quite fast. Ryzen just came out (but there's issues with optimization), the 1080Ti came out, AMD's next-gen Vega is planned, Nvidia's next-gen Volta is planned, etc.

I sure hope not. I actually haven't been playing my PS4 very often because there hasn't been very much I like but this year, i'll be getting Lego Worlds, GT Sport and of course Crash Bandicoot.

I sure hope not. I actually haven't been playing my PS4 very often because there hasn't been very much I like but this year, i'll be getting Lego Worlds, GT Sport and of course Crash Bandicoot.

I haven't bought the online membership because there is nothing I want to play online. I hope they make a new Lego football game.

I think the likelihood of them releasing a new console next year is pretty high especially if Scorpio does well. The PS4 Pro was underpowered and lacked enough features to call it a substantial mid generation upgrade. Frankly it was a bizarre machine and a sign of Sony's complacency given their dominance. It feels like a machine that's already old and that competes with the One S!

As a whole this entire generation has been a train wreck. Mobile App gaming was killing the traditional console, to compete they had to simplify and drop the price, this lead to cheap but frankly mediocre launch machines that wouldn't last. Now the equally weak replacements aren't going to last either!

Give me the cutting edge expensive console which lasts 10 years any day. Unfortunately the general public won't buy that anymore, they would rather buy a phone with that money, which is ironic given how willing people are to change $800 phones every few years.

Too soon. :eek: Most people have only just got a ps4. How can you improve on DriveClub level graphics? Or games in similar or better terms of graphics? The 4K consoles should be the last, and they should just distribute titles from there. If PS5 really came out, it wouldn't feel right. But that's just my opinion on the thought of it. 👎

The PS4 Pro was underpowered and lacked enough features to call it a substantial mid generation upgrade. Frankly it was a bizarre machine and a sign of Sony's complacency given their dominance. It feels like a machine that's already old and that competes with the One S!

I couldn't disagree more. Have you seen Horizon Zero Dawn on a 4K TV running on PS4 Pro? I guess not, huh? If this is already "old" i guess you're living ten years ahead of 2017.

Im all #pcmasterrace as well. But let's not kid here. Upgrading a PC with a new CPU or GPU, which hit the market every few years, costs just as much as getting a new console.
A few of my friends have five year olds PC's (i5's, Radeon 7870's, 8GB RAM) that are still able to run most games at 1080P Medium-High settings. If they wanted to play games at 1080P Ultra settings, they'd have to drop $340 for a new GPU (8GB RX480) and another $90 for more RAM (8GB). That's only $20 more than the base model 500GB PS4 ($400), not bad considering that those PC's will most likely have a longer lifespan and are more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

Actually, it was 599.

It cost $1000 in Australia at launch.

I think the likelihood of them releasing a new console next year is pretty high especially if Scorpio does well. The PS4 Pro was underpowered and lacked enough features to call it a substantial mid generation upgrade. Frankly it was a bizarre machine and a sign of Sony's complacency given their dominance. It feels like a machine that's already old and that competes with the One S!

As a whole this entire generation has been a train wreck. Mobile App gaming was killing the traditional console, to compete they had to simplify and drop the price, this lead to cheap but frankly mediocre launch machines that wouldn't last. Now the equally weak replacements aren't going to last either!

Give me the cutting edge expensive console which lasts 10 years any day. Unfortunately the general public won't buy that anymore, they would rather buy a phone with that money, which is ironic given how willing people are to change $800 phones every few years.

You must not keep up with the Pro
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

In addition the 4.50 firmware added FPS Boost mode for Pro users. Decent for games with no Pro enhancements or patches.

I couldn't disagree more. Have you seen Horizon Zero Dawn on a 4K TV running on PS4 Pro? I guess not, huh? If this is already "old" i guess you're living ten years ahead of 2017.

It looks good but not jaw dropingly impressive like a brand new console (even a mid life cycle upgrade one) should. I was actually surprised at the lack of visual difference the Pro makes over the normal PS4 in pretty much all of the games. You just get a slightly better frame rate and maybe some more environmental effects but there is hardly any difference to the actual graphics.

The difference might become more apparent with games in the future but they will always been chained to having to meet the specs of the normal PS4 to ensure compatibility, machine which was middle of the road when it launched. They should have held out longer with the PS4 which was selling fine, never done the Pro, then call it a day on the generation early (2018) and offer BC on the PS5 (as it should be easy with x86).

Actually, it was 599. And that happened ten years ago. They have learned their lesson.
To be honest, 600 for the ps3 wasnt a bad price for the day. Got to remember that was right when bluray came out, and bluray players alone were in the 400 to 600 range.

Add in the fact that it was also a gaming machine that played ps1 and ps2 games, plus the newest latest games that blew anything before it out of the water, and the fact that it had built in wifi, a built in and user replaceable hard drive, could stream from many different apps before that was really even a thing, had an online store, and you could even install yoir own operating system on it and customize your software just like a pc, the $600 pricetag wasnt really all that bad.

Sure in comparison to the 360 it was "high", but do the math. The xbox had proprietary, amd expensive storage storage, which you needed to buy in order to play anything, you had to buy a wireless card seperate if you wanted to run on wifi, and it was just dvd, unless you wanted to spend even more for hd-dvd. Add it all up and ypu were right around the $600 range, but lacked bluray, easy and cheap hard drive upgrades, and no 1080 gaming. Not to mention the high failure rates.

Prediction: GT Sport will release as a PS Pro game at the end 2017 (Nov/Dec)

Then GT7 (Or another new name) will release on PS5 in 2019. And again Project Cars and Assetto Corsa will have complete dominance by that time. Most gamers interested in cars and racing sims will have moved to PC.
Sad, but I'm afraid very true.

Prediction: GT Sport will release as a PS Pro game at the end 2017 (Nov/Dec)

Then GT7 (Or another new name) will release on PS5 in 2019. And again Project Cars and Assetto Corsa will have complete dominance by that time. Most gamers interested in cars and racing sims will have moved to PC.
Sad, but I'm afraid very true.

If this is how it will hapoen then I will buy racing games for my laptop and ditch consoles because they are becoming expensive and have short cycle I can't afford to buy consoles every 3 years and a computer would be better to play old racing games than a console. I think GTS is trying to target a different younger audience and I think thats bad.

Back