Is Sony Planning to Release the PlayStation 5 Next Year?

should do well against the Scorpio in terms of performance especially if Scorpio targets higher resolutions and also releasing a year earlier. Imagine how old the Scorpio will look if you think the PS4 Pro is already old!
Isn't it supposed to be significantly more powerful, though? If that's the case, I'm not sure how it would do well in comparison in terms of performance.

main concern is if 4K is forced then frame rates might suffer.
Didn't you hear, though? 4k was something that was easily done last generation, and all it needed was for Sony to basically "turn it on."

Amazing that the Pro competes with the One S on price

That is amazing, since it's certainly not the case in North America. The 500 GB PS4 Slim and One S are identically-priced in the US ($300), the 1 TB One S is $350, and the Pro is $400.

In Canada, the cheapest XB1 S is $330, the cheapest PS4 is $380, and the Pro is $500.

Imagine how old the Scorpio will look if you think the PS4 Pro is already old!

What logic is that? If someone thinks one system, which will be a year old and less powerful in fall 2017, is old, why would they think the newer, more powerful system is older?

i think sony should support all its devices and put on the following requirements

ps3, 600 to 720p @ 60fps locked

ps4, 900 to 1080p @ 60fps locked

ps4 pro, 1080p hdr @ 60fps locked & fake 4k @ 30 fps locked

(in future) ps5, 4k @ 60fps locked

Isn't it supposed to be significantly more powerful, though? If that's the case, I'm not sure how it would do well in comparison in terms of performance.

Didn't you hear, though? 4k was something that was easily done last generation, and all it needed was for Sony to basically "turn it on."
The power % gap is similar like it is between the Xbox One and PS4, probably be a lot harder to notice difference and need to be really close up to TV/Monitor. It will be interesting to see though how they make use of the extra RAM, if textures are going to be slightly better. Trailer for Forza Horizon 3 in 4K was likely done on a PC system twice the power of Scorpio. Performance might be less in terms of frame rate if they aim for higher resolutions compared to PS4 Pro. It will be interesting to see what CPU they use, if it is only as good as say Puma+ cores then might see developers struggling to offer much more over the PS4 Pro if they are bottlenecked by the CPU. Remember when Penello said they got balance in hardware when they had already overclocked GPU to 1.31 teraflops before launch, might be getting similar CPU performance now paired with 6 teraflops GPU. :crazy: I wonder how well the thermals will be, if it's using the improved 14nm node then shouldn't be much of a problem I hope.

Last generation as in PS3? Okami HD comes to mind.
That is amazing, since it's certainly not the case in North America. The 500 GB PS4 Slim and One S are identically-priced in the US ($300), the 1 TB One S is $350, and the Pro is $400.

In Canada, the cheapest XB1 S is $330, the cheapest PS4 is $380, and the Pro is $500.

What logic is that? If someone thinks one system, which will be a year old and less powerful in fall 2017, is old, why would they think the newer, more powerful system is older?
I looked to find the top SKU of each manufacturer in stock from US retailers.

Xbox One S 2TB vs PS4 Console.png

I'm not saying it is older, just that it should appear old to someone who thinks a console that came out less than a year ago is already old and then waiting even longer for console that looks to be offering more of the same at likely a higher price point. Remains to be seen if games will offer higher frame rate modes at 1080p like some games on PS4 Pro or if they're going to just stick to super sampling. Original games might run better compared to PS4 Pro boost mode which doesn't make full use of hardware.

I think even going from Xbox One S to Scorpio will not be a huge difference visibly as game engine and asset quality will determine how good it looks and it is already running close to top settings albeit at a lower resolution. Going from PC version running on best settings on a Forza game and then playing Xbox One, main difference you might notice is the slightly better detail, image quality and draw distance on PC. IMO looking to be a hard sell for them coming out so late in the generation and probably at higher price point than the $499 or the same they launched with original console in 2013 against probably a $349 PS4 Pro and cheaper base models. Not to mention Switch being attractive for people looking to get a fresh new platform and next-gen might be getting talked about already then in more depth.

I really hope Nintendo offer a hardware revision with at least a 16nm or 10nm SoC soon, don't mind waiting for 7nm SoC though if it is early as next year. Quite disappointing they rushed release with 2015 level hardware, even the iPhone 6S SoC was manufactured on a better node back then, hopefully they don't do what they usually do with their consoles and just stick to the same manufacturing process throughout the whole gen. Given it's portable, I have higher hope than usual. I wonder if Nintendo might get a Red Ring kind of fiasco with the 20nm Switch units which might end up bootlooping, don't think the 20nm node is good for reliability, thermals or even power consumption.

Going back to Sony, I was pleased to see that the Sony XZ Premium was first phone with 10nm SoC shown off (No mean feat), they got the mobile division game going strong so I do hope they make a new portable console. That phone is already probably more powerful than the Switch in docked mode with better battery life and releasing soon. I wonder if the 835 SoC could run better physics and AI than PS4 games, would be awesome to have a new GT mobile kind of game. Mobile hardware has come a long way in recent years, incredible really.

Back