Is Sony Planning to Release the PlayStation 5 Next Year?

PS1 - 6 Years - PS2 - 6 Years - PS3 - 7 Years - PS4 - 3 Years - PS4 Pro - 2 Years - PS5

( - Gap - )

You Missed this part
(PS4 - 3 Years - PS4 Pro - 2 Years - PS5 ) they will all be part of the Same Family.
the Same Games will be playable on ALL of this Family.

PS5 will be released in Direct response to Microsofts Project Scorpio
Sony will still demand that PS5 games be fully compatible with the First Gen PS4, But they can also have an Enhanced PS5 mode.
And Sony may Allow for PS5 only games. That's to be determined.

PS5 will be Full 4K native resolution.
It will Support the New PSVR 2.0 with a Higher resolution Screen
and it may even be a Wireless Headset with a rechargeable batter pack.

In this New faster paced hardware Landscape, Consoles may see a 2 to 3 year upgrade cycle.

Prediction: GT Sport will release as a PS Pro game at the end 2017 (Nov/Dec)

Then GT7 (Or another new name) will release on PS5 in 2019. And again Project Cars and Assetto Corsa will have complete dominance by that time. Most gamers interested in cars and racing sims will have moved to PC.
Sad, but I'm afraid very true.

PC based SIM Racing has a small following compared to Console Based users.
On PC, I don't think it's even reached the 1 million Users level. I think it is Near 800,000

Where on the Consoles, Combined between Xbox and PS, Sim racing is close to 10,000,000

There are Huge Numbers when it comes to the market that can be reached on the Consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this New faster paced hardware Landscape, Consoles may see a 2 to 3 year upgrade cycle.

In other words, Sony are desperate for our money. Of course it's the point of selling, but they don't need to bring out a PS5 to gain money.

The PS4 is very popular enough, it has enough players to keep it going. And I can guarantee that if they do bring a PS5 out soon, the sales will be very low. Only the hardcore gamers, reviewers, YouTubers will have them in the launch dates, or in the next 1-2 years after release. Most people won't buy them until 5 years into the cycle.

But the point I'm trying to make is; Sony don't need a PS5 at this point. We have the PS4 pro that can handle 4K resolution and better frame rate etc. I don't think the graphics could be more improved on another console. I'm hoping the ps4 will be the last console out. I mean, look at Driveclub's graphics. How can you improve that? Boggles my mind.:indiff: I could say more but this whole thing is just confusing. :irked:

On PC, I don't think it's even reached the 1 million Users level. I think it is Near 800,000

Where on the Consoles, Combined between Xbox and PS, Sim racing is close to 10,000,000

There are Huge Numbers when it comes to the market that can be reached on the Consoles.

Most car racing games on new consoles have been more arcade than sim. I haven't seen a good sim console game since Toca Race Driver 3.

I don't think it is too soon. If it is built like the PS4 Pro, it should be compatible with everything that is on the PS4. I was a day one PS4 owner, and I was surprised to find out that some games still weren't native 1080p or 60fps. If the PS5 can do this, I'll gladly buy. I don't believe they should stop or slow down progress because their previous console came out in 2013.

I'm basing my opinion on $399.00.

$399.00 seems to be the sweetspot of pricetags in the console world, surely we cant get "next-gen" hardware this early for $399.00?

I reckon it will end up being another upgrade, a Pro+ if you will.

People tend to forget that Sony makes money from games being sold, not hardware. They have established the PS4, this console is a huge success with a big user base. There is no point in releasing a PS5 anytime soon. Nintendo canned the Wii U after 5 years because it was a flop. Sony wont do the same with PS4, that would be idiotic. The Pro is here to secure the future of PS4 for another 3-4 years.

Okay, folks. Think about the following:

Moore's law: Every 18 months, the speed and memory of computing will double for the price paid.

Lesson learned from the PS3: If it isn't backward compatible, it's not going to carry well. If at all.

You Missed this part
(PS4 - 3 Years - PS4 Pro - 2 Years - PS5 ) they will all be part of the Same Family.
the Same Games will be playable on ALL of this Family.

PS5 will be released in Direct response to Microsofts Project Scorpio
Sony will still demand that PS5 games be fully compatible with the First Gen PS4, But they can also have an Enhanced PS5 mode.
And Sony may Allow for PS5 only games. That's to be determined.

PS5 will be Full 4K native resolution.
It will Support the New PSVR 2.0 with a Higher resolution Screen
and it may even be a Wireless Headset with a rechargeable batter pack.

I sincerely hope that the PS5 will actually be backward compatible. At this point, I feel it would be suicide to not.

Keeping up with the Joneses: M$ is dumping a major upgrade, let's match it.

Who will buy: It is known that there are varying levels of interest. How that interest is played will make a big difference in what gets put out.

So, what is there to worry about?

First, we have the PS4 actually continuing strong sales. This comes with a new XB AND a new PS4. An article recently said (I think I saw it from here) that, sure, there are people that want (and will pay for) the high end.

But....

There are still those that just want the "console" experience. Just plug and play. This is why backward compatibility CANNOT be overlooked!

So, while the hyper cars are coming out, the people mover is still the biggest seller.

We shall see.

So when is Sony going to ditch the PS3? It would have to be soon with all these new consoles.

I think they already have, sure there are a few 3rd party games still releasing on PS3 but Sony has all but finished with the system which is a shame as to this day it still has untapped potential. Horizon Zero Dawn was also supposedly coming to PS3 but the port has been cancelled.

Although production of the super slim PS3 has not been officially ended you can't buy a new one anywhere.

For those thinking it's too risky, I guess Microsoft should put Scorpio on the shelf for three or four more years. SONY needs the PS5 after screwing up the PS4.5 by not including a UHD drive. Sure, SONY wants us to buy one of their UHD players. NOPE, NOT ME, I'd rather buy an Oppo (Oh-Poh, not Ah-Poh) 203 for dedicated movie and music playing.

Everyone into gaming knows Microsoft is realeasing a much more powerful console next year. Yet, they are still buying the XB1-S.

I could see the PS5 releasing next year and the PS4-Pro would become the standard PS4. It had better be backward compatible, there's no excuse this time.

Last edited:
Where this conviction that this gen will be much shorter came from ?

Cos of PS4 PRO and Scorpio ?

Holiday 2020. It's a nice date too.

Also...

Holy 🤬 2020 sounds so futuristic :eek: Like most movies from 90s didn't went much farther than 2020 in their "crazy future vision" with flying cars, trips to Mars and sea shells :sly:

Damn

...I guess Microsoft should put Scorpio on the shelf for three or four more years. SONY needs the PS5 after screwing up the PS4.5 by not including a UHD drive...

MS are doing their thing for their own reason. Sony will in turn do what they want.

Judging by the popularity and sales of the PS4 Pro though, people don't seem to be seeing it as being 'screwed up'. I mean, I understand if people want to watch a lot of films on their console, then they might have been upset, but I'm not hearing much evidence of that anymore and it certainly hasn't seemed to hurt the PS4 Pro sales figures.

Where this conviction that this gen will be much shorter came from ?

Cos of PS4 PRO and Scorpio ?

Holiday 2020. It's a nice date too.

Also...

Holy 🤬 2020 sounds so futuristic :eek: Like most movies from 90s didn't went much farther than 2020 in their "crazy future vision" with flying cars, trips to Mars and sea shells :sly:

Damn

Armoured Hot Dogs.

Who will buy: It is known that there are varying levels of interest. How that interest is played will make a big difference in what gets put out.

Every Year there is an Entirely New Generation of 1st time Console Buyers.
So it's doesn't matter much when a new Console / Upgrade is released, there will always be buyers.

And Yes, this New generation, surely has to have backward compatibility.

Maybe not this new console Generation, But I can See a Next Gen Console that will allow for GPU / CPU / Memory upgrades that are plug n play. just like we can swap in a new HD now.
And every 12 to 18 months you make an investment in a new GPU or CPU to update the console

With Console sales numbers reaching into the 50 million to 100 million plus numbers..
Hardware vendors and designers are going to want to make then with an Upgradable path, to keep the cash flow coming in.
Then every 3 to 5 years, the Newer and Better Design will come out...

The line between consoles and PC's will get narrower and narrower.
probably the only difference will be the Propitiatory OS, and encoding schemes.

Prediction: GT Sport will release as a PS Pro game at the end 2017 (Nov/Dec)

Then GT7 (Or another new name) will release on PS5 in 2019. And again Project Cars and Assetto Corsa will have complete dominance by that time. Most gamers interested in cars and racing sims will have moved to PC.
Sad, but I'm afraid very true.

You could be on to something there.

Judging by the popularity and sales of the PS4 Pro though, people don't seem to be seeing it as being 'screwed up'. I mean, I understand if people want to watch a lot of films on their console, then they might have been upset, but I'm not hearing much evidence of that anymore and it certainly hasn't seemed to hurt the PS4 Pro sales figures.

Has Sony released any PS4 Pro specific sales figures? Last I checked (mid-January), all that was offered were general PS4 sales, in the same way Microsoft started rolling 360 and One sales together (before just giving up on talking figures, period).

I'd love to see some hard figures.

Has Sony released any PS4 Pro specific sales figures? Last I checked (mid-January), all that was offered were general PS4 sales, in the same way Microsoft started rolling 360 and One sales together (before just giving up on talking figures, period).

I'd love to see some hard figures.
No, you are correct that no specific figures have been released by Sony, though I did see some comparative sales figures from a Japanese source comparing the Switch, PS4, PS4 Pro, XB1 etc.

A Polygon article citing The Times though mentioned Sony's latest comments about sales.

"...The statements are intriguing because practically no one in the video games industry talks raw sales figures, much less their expectations for them, unless it’s really good news. Sony has been glad to talk about the sales performance of the PlayStation 4, but in its last two statements about the console, Sony didn’t specify how well either PlayStation 4 had done or how the new PlayStation 4 Pro had, either."

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/26/14742880/playstation-vr-sales

Then there was this from just after the launch which suggests that the PS4 Pro portion of the total initial sales was 70% - the source is usually pretty reliable from what I've seen.

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2016/11/...on-4-pro-sales-account-70-per-cent-ps4-units/

Seems to soon. The PS4 still feels new and like it was just released. Also, releasing a PS5 after the release of all of these PS4 and Xbox variants seems like a bad idea because they'd be flooding the market and confusing the consumer.

Console gaming really is a mess these days. Can we go back 7 years to PS3 days where you buy one and only one console and it lasts for 9 years? All of these 'upgrade' models defeat the purpose of console gaming.

Then there was this from just after the launch which suggests that the PS4 Pro portion of the total initial sales was 70% - the source is usually pretty reliable from what I've seen.

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2016/11/...on-4-pro-sales-account-70-per-cent-ps4-units/

Eh, those are sales figures from one region that focus only on the Pro's launch window: I don't take it as indicative of its success if it did comparatively better than the three-year-old vanilla system the month it arrived. I'd be curious to see how the splits are now, or in other, larger markets.

Still, interesting. I do wonder what Sony's targets are for the Pro.

...Still, interesting. I do wonder what Sony's targets are for the Pro.
I believe a figure of 1 million in the first four months was mentioned, though I think that was VR - even though they haven't released the actual figures, Andrew House is reportedly very pleased and I suppose the guage of reading between the lines is as close as we'll get for now.

It's almost like getting the tax returns out of a certain president.

Last edited:
I find humor in those requesting backwards compatibility with PS1 games. With the focus being so quality and image based, all I see are boatloads of HD remakes. Which begs the question. Where's my Crash Team Racing remake?

Eva
I find humor in those requesting backwards compatibility with PS1 games. With the focus being so quality and image based, all I see are boatloads of HD remakes. Which begs the question. Where's my Crash Team Racing remake?
Personally I think people who want to play their old games would be better off getting a decent PC + emulator. You get to play the games you already have in HD resolution, more controller options (eg: keyboard & mouse for shooters, PS2 arcade stick + USB adapter for fighters, a huge selection of racing wheels, etc), no need for multiple memory cards, and no need to pay twice for games you already own.

Sony is not coming out with a PS5 next year it's just a rumor you cannot believe what's on the internet

I think the likelihood of them releasing a new console next year is pretty high especially if Scorpio does well. The PS4 Pro was underpowered and lacked enough features to call it a substantial mid generation upgrade. Frankly it was a bizarre machine and a sign of Sony's complacency given their dominance. It feels like a machine that's already old and that competes with the One S!

As a whole this entire generation has been a train wreck. Mobile App gaming was killing the traditional console, to compete they had to simplify and drop the price, this lead to cheap but frankly mediocre launch machines that wouldn't last. Now the equally weak replacements aren't going to last either!

Give me the cutting edge expensive console which lasts 10 years any day. Unfortunately the general public won't buy that anymore, they would rather buy a phone with that money, which is ironic given how willing people are to change $800 phones every few years.
I think if they were to release a console next year then it might be a handheld that offers like PS4 gaming performance in portable form factor, should be faster at web browsing than PS4 too. Scorpio doing well mean selling as well as the PS4 Pro?

PS4 Pro to me just showed how well Sony has got this generation, right balance of hardware and price and good timing too. Amazing that the Pro competes with the One S on price and should do well against the Scorpio in terms of performance especially if Scorpio targets higher resolutions and also releasing a year earlier. Imagine how old the Scorpio will look if you think the PS4 Pro is already old!

I like the direction consoles have gone, getting the best bang for buck hardware and not making huge losses on each console sold which should be healthy for the industry. AMD CPUs have come along well, I think next generation of consoles will be amazing in terms of overall quality of games, main concern is if 4K is forced then frame rates might suffer. Hopefully there will be a requirement for games to hit at least a solid 30FPS. 2019 looks earliest possible year to release a reasonably priced console that is a sizeable difference over the PS4 Pro and not just a PS4 Pro Pro, 7nm and new architectures seem crucial for the next-gen consoles.

Back