Is Sony Planning to Release the PlayStation 5 Next Year?

Mmm, i belive that move would be risk. Too many hardware realeses... remember the sega cd, 32x, and saturn...
Besides that, i belive that in the next generation, we will reach the perfect hardware for racing!...

If this were the case, the ecosystem would be divided by the PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5. This isn't a gaming PC ecosystem Sony! I just bought the vanilla PS4 a year and a half ago!

Here's a meme to express my reaction:

IMG_2003.JPG

Sorry, not feeling it - there again, I'm not paid to tout my opinion. Growth through 4K TV and UHD player sales, sure but a new generation so soon? I sincerely doubt it.

I think the only reason Sony would do this would be to compensate for a weakness in the system's projected adaptability whereby it could not keep up with newer games. With large portions of the world economy on shaky ground right now, I would expect Sony's own analysts to be shy of investing in a new launch so soon.

Also, these things take time.

Last edited:
If Sony do release PS5 in 2018 it would still sell in vast numbers even if sales are still good on the PS4. In my opinion they should just have the equivalent of two Nvidia 1080s inside with the top CPU to run it all and be done with it. Oh, and it must be backward compatible to run PS1 - PS4 games too :cheers: ( I'm kidding.....just PS1 and PS2) lol

Why on earth would they release a new console generation this soon? I've seen this story thrown about a lot last couple days and it seems like complete nonsense for me. Nintendo doing it is completely different as they were trying to save a sinking ship by shifting concepts.. The PS4 is very successful, it could easily have another 5 years.

I just brought the new a Pro few months ago, so if it releases next year that's not long. I wonder if you will be able to 'upgrade' the Pro or I will have 3 PS4's :ill:(as I still have the old PS4 for a blu ray player upstairs).Is it never ending? Wait and see I guess!👍 Consoles used to be every 5 years(ish), they are getting like PC's now, maybe they should make them so you upgrade them?

I just brought the new a Pro few months ago, so if it releases next year that's not long. I wonder if you will be able to 'upgrade' the Pro or I will have 3 PS4's :ill:(as I still have the old PS4 for a blu ray player upstairs).Is it never ending? Wait and see I guess!👍 Consoles used to be every 5 years(ish), they are getting like PC's now, maybe they should make them so you upgrade them?

But upgrading a console's specs every few years defeats the purpose of the plug and play nature of the system.

It's actually an idea I believe Sony and MS have been considering. Console upgradeability. Not a bad idea, make all games run at a base level, then upgrade A/V quality with each upgrade.

But upgrading a console's specs every few years defeats the purpose of the plug and play nature of the system.

Technology is moving so fast in 5 years, and competition is much stronger now with MS Xbox One (& their new machine) and High end PC's being affordable. Sony have to also not get left behind. PSVR was a great move as competition to PC.

Console gaming is such a mess lately XD I'm so glad I switched to PC.

I traded my PS4 for a ps4 pro for 200 bucks... I'm expecting to do the same for a ps5....what's not to like in paying say 200 every three years to have updated hardware while keeping compatibility with old games?
Don't you upgrade your GPU every three years on a pc?

I use my master race pc only for playing few indies or civilization nowadays....so many good exclusive title on PS....I mean...deam! even the best Vr experience I had this year was on console (RE7)

Hah! Nope. Cannibalize their new PS4 Pro after one year? Sorry, you can't be more wrong than this 'analyst'.

Jerome

Hah! Nope. Cannibalize their new PS4 Pro after one year? Sorry, you can't be more wrong than this 'analyst'.

Jerome

First of is not one year....second it's better then leave it to scorpio...third Apple proves a company should not be afraid to cannibalize it's own market...last "ps4 pro slim" will be released at a lower price so you are not cannibalizing anything, you are just covering two different demands.

More likely announcement in 2018 with release in 2019 powered by 7nm AMD Zen+ Navi APU with next-gen memory.

Yeah...no need of analyst to predict this...it will be the perfect moment to came out with a new hardware but AMD may be releasing it for end 2018...

Makes sense, id love this. Why wait 5-7years to get better graphics and at the same time need to buy all new accessories like new wheel, controllers games. So why not just better hardware like PC...PS4pro fine for some like a midrange pc and some will want newer.
Even cars get more updates than consoles .
But what i do see here in forums is that there are lot of conservative that want old tech to last long...like if you use 5year old mobiles. Im happy that the market is bigger than this forum and understands that this is a better and cheaper way in the long run if you consider all investment in total. And belive me..a month of owning a car is more than a new console hw that lasts for at least 2-3 years (like regular pc updates). And gamemakers will like this too, stable platform = more investors.

Well I am more than satisfied with the pro and 4K for the moment, I am not happy to read about this and temptation will most likely be too much, so don't be doing that s@@t Sony, once better VR equipment comes out, perhaps

Jerome

It's interesting that you say this, because as I said in the caption for the PS4 Pro image, a possible alternative is that the Pro was never meant to extend the lifetime of the PS4, more that it was used as a clever design study to gather data on where to move the scales next.

It's a better explanation for both Sony and Microsoft constantly saying that they want to offer something that takes better advantage of newer technologies (4K, HDR, etc) without fracturing the existing user base. A PS5 would have no such limitation.

The only wrench I can currently see is that Scorpio is launching this year, which could shake things up considerably.

Back