Is the Chapparal 2J race car worth buying? Any quirks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RugerGuy
  • 51 comments
  • 4,470 views
2J is miles faster, and has loads more grip because of the fan mechanism. They both sound relatively the same and they both only have three gears. so... go for the 2J.
 
I dont think that the 2j is worth paying 14 million for, the only races u need it for are historic racing cup. I would find somebody to trade with bc there are much better cars out there that could be bought for way less than 14 million.
 
I'd say it's worth buying for the quirkiness alone, you don't actually need it at all. As has been said, the appearance is... Polarising, the 3 speed transmission is interesting and the fan system is a revolution (and got it banned after one season). I think the fact it got banned speaks volumes; it was just too good.
 
Just duplicate it so you lose no money. I'd buy it.
 
I've been thinking of buying one, but I don't know anything about how it drives.

It's a great car. 3-Speed auto, 200mph stock, 700hp stock, 800 hp tuned. It's got downforce fans on the bottom, making it like a mini x2010 with all the grip. The only quirk is the styling makes it look like a refrigerator.
 
2J's not ugly at all in my opinion. Can-am cars are like that, and guess what? X2010's fan car idea comes from 2J.
They banned the car from racing because it was too fast. :lol:
Interesting little fact. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, my father worked on the engine for the 2J. They used to blow them up testing just how high you could make them rev in simulations of running the Le Mans 24 hour race. That Mulsanne Straight was pretty brutal on the engines before they put the chicaines in.
Just remember. When jou drive jour 2J. There's a little bit of my family DNA pushing you along.

Cool, I never expected that. :p

Edit: Sorry for double post, don't know how to put quotes in edit.
 
Just get both chapps using 67 or 70 ticket without burning a jole in your pocket.I like 2j personally.. It's ugly-ly beautiful..
 
Interesting little fact. Back in the late 60's and early 70's, my father worked on the engine for the 2J. They used to blow them up testing just how high you could make them rev in simulations of running the Le Mans 24 hour race. That Mulsanne Straight was pretty brutal on the engines before they put the chicaines in.
Just remember. When jou drive jour 2J. There's a little bit of my family DNA pushing you along.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but why did they put the chicane in and what year did they do it?
 
2j gets the nod from me, just don't look at it. It's seriously fast.
 
you can get the 2J car with Level 23 ticket .
 
I'll say this: I've never driven one but looking at it makes me want to puke. It realy depends how much it costs, see fgt in online collecetor dealship for 2.5 million all the time. Like, every single time.
 
Can't believe noones mentioned how good it is in online PP based races! It's faster than almost everything else at 650PP, it's so good you'll feel like you're cheating driving it against Ford GT LMs and the like. Only trouble is it's pretty unstable at high speeds, but it is 41 years old so I'll give it that lol!
 
that car is just awesome to look at...buy it!
if you don't like the handling you can still use it for photo sessions!
 
2J's not ugly at all in my opinion. Can-am cars are like that, and guess what? X2010's fan car idea comes from 2J.

I hate to pull you up on this but if you read up on the X2010 Gordan Murrey makes reference to the F1 car that had the fan setup and was banned after one race. It is NOT where the X2010 fan came from. It came from the F1 car. The 2J works on the same theory as the old F1 car too. It works by giving a constant amount of down force regardless of speed. I think it details about it in the description of the X2010. I think I saw it when i was watching a demo run on the X2010.
 
I just got a free 2J last night :sly:

But it's definitely worth 14 mill.
 
I hate to pull you up on this but if you read up on the X2010 Gordan Murrey makes reference to the F1 car that had the fan setup and was banned after one race. It is NOT where the X2010 fan came from. It came from the F1 car. The 2J works on the same theory as the old F1 car too. It works by giving a constant amount of down force regardless of speed. I think it details about it in the description of the X2010. I think I saw it when i was watching a demo run on the X2010.

Where do you think Murray got the idea for the fan from in the first place? The Chapparal pre dates the Brabham by about 8 years.

The Chapparal had a snowmobile engine powering the fans, the Brabham used an auxilary driveshaft from it's Alfa Romeo engine to power it's fan.
 
Where do you think Murray got the idea for the fan from in the first place? The Chapparal pre dates the Brabham by about 8 years.

The Chapparal had a snowmobile engine powering the fans, the Brabham used an auxilary driveshaft from it's Alfa Romeo engine to power it's fan.

I stand corrected. Props where props are due
 
Back