It’s OK to back out of a pass.

• Thread starter TCG
  • 103 comments
Honestly, I don't have any problem with Brazilian drivers.
In fact, my last 2 FIA cup races there have been a Brazilian and an Argentinian driver in the top 3, both driving very fast and very clean.
Yes, some of them have bad internet, but more often than not they're fine drivers, the only asshats I've had to deal with have been the teenagers driving GT-R's around a track like it's Mario Kart, underbraking every corner - using other cars as personal cushions.

Sure, I'm generalizing. When it's bad, it's bad though and they are by far the worst offenders.

Ratings should have more reverence in the game though. E rated drivers should never be in the same room as B rated drivers. If this is going to be treated as a "sport" then they need to adhere to talent tiers like every other sport does. In my soccer league, Div 2 players are not allowed to go play in div 3 games or lower. Lower tier players are only allowed to move up one group (so a div 5 player can only play as high as div 4).

Folks should only be allowed to play one level up and that's it.

I'm stuck in an endless loop of B-B/B-A to D-E/D-D all due to the unavoidable team death match that the mentioned nation likes to invoke.

+1 - I feel for you brother :'(

That's no different than being in a competitive sports league and then going out with your buddies to play pick up. No ratings, no achievements, nothing. I play competitive men's soccer and all that matters are the wins and losses. Not one man on my team would rather "send out invites" for a private, meaningless game.

It's easy to play clean when there's nothing on the line.

There is nothing competitive about the system that is set up now simply because a good portion of the people you are racing against in sports mode don't GAF.

Competition is what you make of it and you can most certainly have great competition amongst friends.

If all you care about is your DR & SR than more power to you, stick with sports mode and continue to complain about POS drivers. No skin off my back.

Sure, I'm generalizing. When it's bad, it's bad though and they are by far the worst offenders.

Ratings should have more reverence in the game though. E rated drivers should never be in the same room as B rated drivers. If this is going to be treated as a "sport" then they need to adhere to talent tiers like every other sport does. In my soccer league, Div 2 players are not allowed to go play in div 3 games or lower. Lower tier players are only allowed to move up one group (so a div 5 player can only play as high as div 4).

Folks should only be allowed to play one level up and that's it.

+1 - I feel for you brother :'(
I get your point but im afraid there just arent enough players for this. Im DR A so most of the time it will be all A's and B's. But when i enter a race at midnight im getting paired with all kind of drivers because attendance is just to low.

I've never seen my SR fluctuate like people say. Currently at B but jumped to A quickly before that. I purposefully dumped it to C to try for a win (got it, finally) because I'm just not good enough (YET!) to qually with the big boys. Mind you, I dumped my rating by crashing into walls, not drivers, for several races. Now, in FIA, I'm a B and it's tough to get to the front, if at all. Started Brands Hatch in 3rd last night and got bumped a lot but I blame myself for missing that turn in the beginning... Still love this game!

Challenge mode is full of 'start last and drive like a nut until you get first', as is every other racing game campaign mode. It's lame imo.

agreed. the challenge mode completely undermines their sport racing attempt as some of the wins are so narrow that you practically have to ram the other cars to win. once someone watches the clean racing tutorial and then completes the Challenge Mode, I have very little expectation for them to think that the tutorial videos meant anything.

oh, but in regard to the OP comment..

learning to back out of a pass is totally essential. if not for your own SR score then at least to cause an error on the leader. if you're attempting to pass LordBongz6969, he's totally going to ram you into the wall, often times backing off of the pass will result in them side swiping air and running off of the course.

Unfortunately GT Sport is the title for noobs. They have the most broad marketing and a title that draws any type of racer.

You will encounter this until the end of time. You will always get the crowd that buys this game and then rushes online. The title and game just switched it's focus. Perhaps a few iterations down the road the audience will be your more hardcore racers to fill rooms with clean racers.

Until then... good luck

I back out of passes all the time it seems. Sometimes I'm only slightly faster through a section than the guy ahead of me, but not enough to sucessfully pass.

FYI: Putting the front quaterpanel against my rear quarterpanel does not equal a pass. Don't expect me to give way >_<

Jerome

Sometimes it's a team game... or enemy of enemy being in alliance for a while at least :)

If you get the right racer this works great. Did this last night on BH...shout out to Scartick_012 if they are on the forum. :cheers:

We qualified 4/5 and the pack dropped off behind us after the start. Tapped him going into Hawthorn, he went off so I pulled up and waited for him to get by along with at least a half dozen others. Over the next 3-4 laps he led and I followed all the way back up to where we started and left the pack behind again by 2-3 seconds. The others were well ahead by then and we traded 4/5 a few times. He eventually went wide into Surtees (I hate that corner) and I was able to get by him on the inside. Think he may have gone off as I remember looking up and not seeing him anymore but it was by far the most enjoyable race I've had in GTS.

I wish more people made decisions like this (this was recorded during the beta).
As you can see i clearly knew that if i made that move it wasn't gonna work. People gotta realize that not every move you attempt is gonna work. Not to mention you don't wanna piss off another player. No matter how good of a run you got you gotta be smart when making a pass instead of just running the person over.

I still maintain that the penalty and sportsmanship system are broken, as in they do not work as intended.

Just now, on Alsace reverse, I was rear ended going into the first turn. The force shot me into the guard rail. I lost SR for the contact AND I got a 10 second penalty for t-boning the guardrail. The guy who hit me got no penalty and finished ahead of me.

There is nothing competitive about the system that is set up now simply because a good portion of the people you are racing against in sports mode don't GAF.

Competition is what you make of it and you can most certainly have great competition amongst friends.

If all you care about is your DR & SR than more power to you, stick with sports mode and continue to complain about POS drivers. No skin off my back.

If open lobby play recorded wins like in GT6, then it would less of an issue. Then again Sport Mode is the cornerstone of the game. You'd think they would have done a better job of refining that system.

The guy who hit me got no penalty and finished ahead of me.

I'm genuinely curious how everyone knows "the other guy" didn't get a penalty in these situations? As far as I know there's no way to tell...unless you see someone driving slowly for no reason. Does it show in replays? As long as you "work off" the penalty it isn't tallied at the end of the race so unless I was sitting next to someone....

That's actually not a bad idea for testing how the system works now that I think about it. Who has a neighbor that can help? :)

I'm genuinely curious how everyone knows "the other guy" didn't get a penalty in these situations? As far as I know there's no way to tell...unless you see someone driving slowly for no reason. Does it show in replays? As long as you "work off" the penalty it isn't tallied at the end of the race so unless I was sitting next to someone....

That's actually not a bad idea for testing how the system works now that I think about it. Who has a neighbor that can help? :)

the end of the race shows their progression (Blue) or regression (Red) in their SR grade. I'd assume if someone saw a blue progression grade on a player that hit them, then they would assume they weren't penalized.

the end of the race shows their progression (Blue) or regression (Red) in their SR grade. I'd assume if someone saw a blue progression grade on a player that hit them, then they would assume they weren't penalized.
Could be, red would definitely be a giveaway but I've had a couple penalties for braking incidents and cutting corners and while I see the little orange SR flag, if I'm clean the rest of the way I think it levels out. At least, I don't ever recall seeing my SR go red.

I think the first thing is that being able to "drive off" the penalty in race needs to be eliminated and all penalties should be assessed to the final time after the checkered flag drops. Who has ever heard of slowing down for a corner and watching penalty seconds melt away.
A racer that games the system in a 10 lap race will come out ahead bumping a few people out of the way for position as he has time to melt off the penalty and still gain the positions by driving dirty.

The innocent guy that he put in the wall is the one that pays the price of lost positions, lost time to the leaders and possibly a penalty of his own for hitting the wall.

Knowing I'm up against real people I at least try to drive cleanly and not ram into my opponents. Though I'd hardly say I'm perfect. I try to go for clean overtakes and have avoided overtaking when I knew I couldn't pull off cleanly.

I have had people push me off track before but I don't know if they were Brazilian. On a recent Group 4 daily at Interlagos I got knocked off my a Viper at some point.

Ratings should have more reverence in the game though. E rated drivers should never be in the same room as B rated drivers. If this is going to be treated as a "sport" then they need to adhere to talent tiers like every other sport does. '(

I'd like to see not just SR changes from your racing but a vote system where at the end of the race players can vote on each other with a thumbs up or down to their behaviour - double penalty and means if you got shafted by someone in race there is an avenue to tell them and the community, over time negative votes would accumulate for poorer drivers - yes peeps could just vote thumbs down out of spite, longer term it would however correct to more positive than negative for good drivers.

. . . if you're attempting to pass LordBongz6969, he's totally going to ram you into the wall, often times backing off of the pass will result in them side swiping air and running off of the course.

HAHAHA

That is so right!

I had actually wondered a couple of time why did he do that, thinking about it now, a deliberate attempted ram on me...who is going faster than they anticipate...results in a car suddenly appearing at a funny angle and going much slower.

Having said that, plenty of people seem to be able to ram me fine.

Backing off a pass hurts initially, but very worth it in the end - I have seen a few I thought I would narrowly get, but after backing off was glad, and able to take later anyway. If you have pace on someone you will get them eventually

HAHAHA

That is so right!

I had actually wondered a couple of time why did he do that, thinking about it now, a deliberate attempted ram on me...who is going faster than they anticipate...results in a car suddenly appearing at a funny angle and going much slower.

Having said that, plenty of people seem to be able to ram me fine.

Backing off a pass hurts initially, but very worth it in the end - I have seen a few I thought I would narrowly get, but after backing off was glad, and able to take later anyway. If you have pace on someone you will get them eventually

Backing off of the pass is so essential that I even use it as a tactic in Grand Theft Auto Online. In GTA Online the drafting is so exaggerated that being in first place isn't even a safe strategy. So I'll usually use the drafting to badger the 1st place person to **** up. Part of that badgering is feinting a pass, and then backing off and getting back into the slip stream. In GTA Online I'm trying to make them commit an error so I can ram them off of the course as they are losing control. So if it works as a defensive strategy for the dirtiest race game ever, then it should be go for Sport, minus the ramming off of the course part.

^ pretty much how i try to go about it. I will follow you around the track as close as possible without contact, moving off the line or braking early to be safe around corners, all in an ecfort to pressure the guy to mess up so i can cruise by. I would rather finish a tight race bebind someone then try to force a pass that takes us both out so we finish as the last two not the first two

It's a good way to race actually, I have a friend very good at always taking a peak inside or out, or 1/2 down a draft, just to keep pressure on the one he is pursuing. Quite often the person will crack under the pressure and make a mistake opening an easy window to pass through.

Longer races would help in this imo.

As i have learned racing in online league's like SNAIL is that if you don't have overlap or your car is not ahead of the other car in a turn, i would back off. I take the chance of passing only if it is completely clean with little or no contact otherwise i don't take the chance of passing through a turn or even on a straight away before the first turn. It is common courtesy to the other driver in front of you plus helps with the flow of the race not being reckless. Even in online racing lobbies in GT6, i would always drive clean and at times won the races myself while the others were wrecking each other. Racing clean is the best way to do it. I don't understand the drivers who dive bomb into a turn just because they want to get into first that badly but it does not earn respect on the track that way in virtual racing or real life racing.

Thats part of the real problem tbough, many people it would seem do not care about respect and whatnot because it's just a game, or because of the anonymous nature of gaming in general.

If there was a poll to understand the age ranges playing GT Sport I think you'd recognize that this game is going to attract very youthful players that haven't even constructed the concept of clean racing. Gran Turismo has been created for the casuals and isn't as punishing in regards to car physics so again.... I think you guys keep questioning the players thought process when I think you miss the fact it's folks that don't have your like mindedness because this title is not an icon for sim racing but yet you guys want the sim experience.

If there was a poll to understand the age ranges playing GT Sport I think you'd recognize that this game is going to attract very youthful players that haven't even constructed the concept of clean racing. Gran Turismo has been created for the casuals and isn't as punishing in regards to car physics so again.... I think you guys keep questioning the players thought process when I think you miss the fact it's folks that don't have your like mindedness because this title is not an icon for sim racing but yet you guys want the sim experience.

But at the same time if the DR and SR ranking systems are properly utilized then the players will be separated by a system that should as a result sim group like minded racers together in one rating while the arcade crash and burn folks will be together within their ranking.

The game can support all styles of racers whether arcade or sim seekers the rankings should group them together if done correctly.

It’s just a casual racer’s mindset that since its “just a game” there’s no consequences to causing a crash or a dispute. There needs to be a way to get this through some of their heads, I just try to message them afterwords and kindly let them know that you don’t have to try to pass during every corner, it’s better to be patient for a good opportunity or a mistake.

But it is really frustrating.
yeah I've tried to message people too but because i've cause a crash and wanted to apologise but loads of people just exit the lobby straight away!

If you rear end someone, the game usually gives you a 10 second penalty. It's hard (not impossible) to burn off that kind of time penalty before the end of a race, especially in later laps. If you finish with a penalty, it shows in the final results.

I'd like to see not just SR changes from your racing but a vote system where at the end of the race players can vote on each other with a thumbs up or down to their behaviour - double penalty and means if you got shafted by someone in race there is an avenue to tell them and the community, over time negative votes would accumulate for poorer drivers - yes peeps could just vote thumbs down out of spite, longer term it would however correct to more positive than negative for good drivers.

The problem with this is that many drivers don't even realize what they're doing. I had one guy run wide in a corner, so I stuck tight to the inside line and I held that line like Mark Marquez! The other driver came slicing back across and I assume he wasn't using radar because he slammed right into me. Then, he tell me to stop bumping o_O. I see the guy again last night and, again, I see him being poor at sticking to one line. He goes wide at turn three of brands Indy, so I stick to the inside, he comes back off the turtles on the outside and again, slams into my side and he spins himself out. I'm sure I am "at fault" for that one too.

If there was a vote system, I am positive that he would have voted me down even though I got a clean race bonus according to the game.

I think the folks that do track days in real life have an upper hand because the track rules are burned into our brains.

Last edited:
My favorite move by an opponent is when you back out of the overtake heading into the final turn so you can set the move up on the exit, and as you're drafting and going for the pass they move over so you bump them. Usually ends up with them get a small speed boost so you cant pass, and because you bumped your sportsmanship rating takes a hit. I get that we all want to get the W, but I'll hold my line and let the guy get the pass if he's got the better drive on the exit...

Back