It’s OK to back out of a pass.

• Thread starter TCG
  • 103 comments
Re: drivers who will not let you pass.

If the driver behind you was once 4 seconds away and now they're trailing you on every corner, it's time to lay off the gas and let them pass, instead of defending every corner.

Brands Hatch, Gr.3 race, stuck behind a driver who, when I attempted to pass, would nudge me ever so slightly, forcing me to drop back or take the wrong line for a turn. Eventually passed him on Paddock Hill and left him behind by at least 5 seconds. It seems people don't understand that they aren't the fastest on the track.

They do not need to be fastest on the track to be entitled to maintain their position and racing line on the track when racing a car for position. It does not matter if you caught that car from 10 seconds back and left him by 10 seconds once you got past.

It is still your job to pass that car cleanly with no contact or nudging them off of THEIR racing line that by being the lead car they are entitled to.
The whole purpose of driving a defensive racing line is to force the overtaking driver to as you put it " take the wrong line for a turn" in order to make the pass for position.

People it seems that if they are faster do not understand that they do not own the fastest line around the track when another car already occupies that line AHEAD OF YOU.

Just staying in someones mirror is enough to make most people crack, backing out of a pass is nbd.
Indeed. I've passed a number of people on difficult corners (T1 at Brands for example) just by pressuring them into a mistake. No contact, no divebombing, just smart driving forcing them into an uncomfortable spot where they outbrake themselves and run wide or off or 180 on exit because they are trying too hard to stay in front. To me that is almost an art, more so than outbraking someone into a turn cleanly or getting a better exit into a long straight. Certainly more than bumping and grinding past leaving dust and destruction behind.

The whole purpose of driving a defensive racing line is to force the overtaking driver to as you put it " take the wrong line for a turn" in order to make the pass for position.

Okay, but I specifically described getting nudged when driving side by side. “Defending” here, as I detailed in the following paragraph, meant nudging; that is, pushing you off the track, instead of holding the line in corners.

It is still your job to pass that car cleanly with no contact or nudging them off of THEIR racing line that by being the lead car they are entitled to.

This wasn’t mentioned anywhere, but now that you’ve brought it up, you’re half right: it’s driver A’s duty to pass cleanly as much as it is driver B’s to not, like, ram you off the track when you’re attempting to pass (which, again, is the incident I described).

So, if a pass is being made, lay off instead of nudging because you don’t want to lose your position.

Indeed. I've passed a number of people on difficult corners (T1 at Brands for example) just by pressuring them into a mistake. No contact, no divebombing, just smart driving forcing them into an uncomfortable spot where they outbrake themselves and run wide or off or 180 on exit because they are trying too hard to stay in front. To me that is almost an art, more so than outbraking someone into a turn cleanly or getting a better exit into a long straight. Certainly more than bumping and grinding past leaving dust and destruction behind.

This is being a smart driver. Unfortunately there are people out there that think they have to make a pass at every single corner and have no foresight on where the best place to pass would be or have the ability to set up a pass.

On a similar note, if the I know the person behind me is faster at the beginning stages of the race, I make zero attempts to drive defensively. I've braked earlier than normal to allow people to take the inside line without a fight. What will happen 99% of the time if I defend the position from start to finish the person will become impatient and make a move that will either take me out or both of us out. Finishing one spot lower is worth not having my entire race ruined. Last lap battles are a completely different story.

My "passing techniques" mostly consist of applying pressure, that's enough to get people to run themselves off. I hardly ever try to out brake someone, it's much easier (and safer imo) to out accelerate from a turn if you can get faster exit speed. Something else people seem to forget, you don't have to brake when they brake if you're right on their bumper, you can coast and let off a bit prior to the brake point to allow some space, but still accelerate out and remain right on them. now if you are sandwiched, you're just racing on hopes lol "please don't try a pass here, please brake in time, please don't spin me out"

100% agree, but, once one car is along side another (correct me, but, if the font tire of the following car is ahead of the rear tire of the lead car, they are considered along side, personally I like to have my fender at least to their door before I consider "I'm here"), no on owns the "racing line". One car owns the inside, the other owns the outside, and they need to get through together. I think everyone has somehow got it into their head that if they are on the outside they are somehow entitled to the racing line. Not the case. Never has been the case. Never will be in any form of racing.
If "A" has a slip, and I gain ground, get along side headed into the next corner, I'm going inside, and I'm trusting "A" has enough awareness to not turn down on me. I'll leave the outside on exit, unless during the corner I see "A" in my mirror, and in that case I'll take the curb on the outside on exit too thank you as the pass has been completed... otherwise it's a drag race to the next braking zone.

They do not need to be fastest on the track to be entitled to maintain their position and racing line on the track when racing a car for position. It does not matter if you caught that car from 10 seconds back and left him by 10 seconds once you got past.

People it seems that if they are faster do not understand that they do not own the fastest line around the track when another car already occupies that line AHEAD OF YOU.

Indeed. 👍

There have been times where I've intentionally let someone clearly faster pass, but that's a choice. I can't shake the feeling that people that go on about how they're entitled to a slower car's place are the types that drive hyper-aggressively but always believe they're in the right.

The one exception I would make personally is lapped traffic. At least in games, anyway, especially when races are <30 minutes. If you're being lapped that soon, don't try to dice with the front-runners.

I did something similar the other day, stuck the nose of the car up the outside of 1st coming up to 130R at suzuka, the guy probably wasn't used to making the turn from that point in the road, I backed off to get to the inside behind him, he ran wide and off I went for the win, no contact.

Something to note in the video of the V8's. The pass early on, there was contact but the passing car made enough progress for me to make it the passees fault for contact, if the guy in 1st had radar on that could of been avoided ;)

I did something similar the other day, stuck the nose of the car up the outside of 1st coming up to 130R at suzuka, the guy probably wasn't used to making the turn from that point in the road, I backed off to get to the inside behind him, he ran wide and off I went for the win, no contact.

I do that a lot with people who run a similar pace as me. Pull up alongside to show a wheel, brake earlier than normal and slot back into the race line. They will either hit the normal race line and nothing changes, or they try and out brake me and push it to deep into the corner, allowing me a better line and better exit speed.

One of the things I really like about GT SPORT is that it praises or congratulates you on improving from the place you started from like 10th to 5th,unlike other games where I felt like I needed to be in 1st every race (which resulted in me kinda being turned off from racing online) I don't feel that way with this game.

Unfortunately I think the only way to fix this problem is to honestly charge a monthly rate similar to iRacing,that's the only way to discourage dirty drives to F off and even then I've encountered a few people on iRacing typically Brazilians who still have no sense of how to race clean.

Back