It's time for a change.

• Thread starter Dan
  • 162 comments

Dan

Premium
United States
United States
Hello, drifting community. Let's sit down and have a chat.

The current state of the GT6 drifting community is a laughing stock. Whenever I enter a public drifting lobby, I always feel intimidated by experienced players. I never feel welcome. I constantly see new players getting harassed by other players that claim to be "pros" at sliding around virtual cars in a video game. This should never happen here.

In such a competitive community, it drives away new players that want to get into this game. There are many talented people already in this game, but we can certainly have more, right?

When I say "pro" players, I'm talking about are the ones that force people to play in only one way: front-engined, rear-wheel-drive coupes on comfort hard tires. I'm lucky to find a lobby that doesn't have these restrictions. Yes, restrictions are necessary to keep things fair and in order. What isn't necessary is bossing people around and forcing your opinion on others. I personally find it boring to play one way all the time. That's why I rarely use cars considered to be "normal" in drift events, like AE86s, S-Chassis cars, Supras, and RX-7s. Back on topic, people shouldn't always have to play in one way. I encourage everyone to change up their style once in a while. You'll really surprise yourself at what you are capable of.

TL;DR, let's clean up the community and start acting much more maturely. Stop attacking people that are using cars or parts different from what you use. Don't ram slower cars out of the way, just because you can go faster and get more angle. Encourage people to use more creative cars, and new techniques. Be friendly and give new players tips to get better, but DO NOT be condescending about it. I hate seeing this subforum being mocked in other sections of the site. Lets not give them something to mock us for.
If you are the leader of a team here on GTPlanet and want a change for the better, please share this with your team members.

I am open to discuss this, as long as you are being civil and rational.

Problem what new people trying to jump into the community is just the stupidity of a lot of people. I can throw names left and right at you who are complete idiots that throw new people and shove them into a corner and don't let the new guys get into the higher state of the community but i can save that for another day. Sure i am a competitive person at heart but i am also a huge KDF person, as long as you have a passion for drifting like myself we can slide all day long. Doesn't really matter what you drift as long as it's RWD, XD. Drifting is ruined by the people that take this to real life and forward. The drag racing forum isn't better, jus' saiyan. :embarrassed:

You're always welcomed at any lobby i'm in Dan, remember the Stowe session? Straight fun bud.

Sai
Doesn't really matter what you drift as long as it's RWD, XD.

I don't think you fully understood his post. I remember hosting a lobby (restricted to rwd). i think it was diva legend who asked if i can unrestrict 4wd so i did. To my surprise she tandemed with me in a lambo going reverse. So you dont have to be narrow minded with who you drift with as long as there able to drift clean. My point is everyone deserves a chance, till they lose the right to that chance. :gtpflag:

I don't think you fully understood his post. I remember hosting a lobby (restricted to rwd). i think it was diva legend who asked if i can unrestrict 4wd so i did. To my surprise she tandemed with me in a lambo going reverse. So you dont have to be narrow minded with who you drift with as long as there able to drift clean. My point is everyone deserves a chance, till they lose the right to that chance. :gtpflag:

4WD reverse lambo.... I like to use common sense when i drift..

I'm good as long as I can still enjoy being there. I lean toward low power on hard compounds but I have nothing against monsters with grip as long as they respect my right to be on the track. That said, I limit rooms I host to what I myself like to use, but I don't whine when a room I join isn't limited as such.

Sai
Problem what new people trying to jump into the community is just the stupidity of a lot of people. I can throw names left and right at you who are complete idiots that throw new people and shove them into a corner and don't let the new guys get into the higher state of the community but i can save that for another day. Sure i am a competitive person at heart but i am also a huge KDF person, as long as you have a passion for drifting like myself we can slide all day long. Doesn't really matter what you drift as long as it's RWD, XD. Drifting is ruined by the people that take this to real life and forward. The drag racing forum isn't better, jus' saiyan. :embarrassed:

You're always welcomed at any lobby i'm in Dan, remember the Stowe session? Straight fun bud.

Were you in a black supra, and RICEFREAK showed up? There was other stuff and other people, but that's what I easily remember.

Sai

I remember one, and since you refer to it as 'the', I imagine it's the same one. I know I wasn't any help in a GT500 Supra Base Model but I had the common sense and decency to duck out into the grass once the "race" began. My 500 R may have been a better choice at the time since I actually have it drift tuned to an extent.

I remember one, and since you refer to it as 'the', I imagine it's the same one. I know I wasn't any help in a GT500 Supra Base Model but I had the common sense and decency to duck out into the grass once the "race" began. My 500 R may have been a better choice at the time since I actually have it drift tuned to an extent.

I remember you being there now with those cars!

Boy, was I embarrassed to be there. :( :guilty:

One thing i have noticed is that it's quite often not the people off the forums that have the whole "i'm a pro, and if you aren't it's your own problem, get out of my way" kind of mindset..
These kind of people play every game, it's pretty difficult to avoid, let-alone subdue the issue..
But yes, i do agree, the community does need a bit of a hit to get back in uniform, with all the flame starting things going on, even with the arguments about tyres and such...
But realistically, everyone has their different preferences, this is why there is the allowance of so many different rooms to be open on the server, so individuals can find a room to suit them..
It's a bit of a realist opinion, but to be honest, it isn't wrong..

Whats so wrong with drifting 4wd ?

There's nothing wrong with powersliding 4wd, just do it in your own rooms specified for 4wd's.
Only saying this because it's a completely different style, the lines you take through corners are J shaped instead of C shaped.
It really ruins a room when all drivetrains are allowed.

I mostly drift rwd because I love the challenge but I've been in lobbies where people were drifting both RWD and AWD and most of the times I saw no difference between AWD and RWD, and they never messed up anyones drifting. They took the same lines and ajusted their car through the corners the same way.

I don't believe this thread was necessary, being that in failed attempt, others have tried to do same thing.

By all means I wish this movement goodluck, but I don't see much of a progression rate coming in the near future.

This mentality is common in all walks of life.

Ignore the haters. Keep drifting fun.

You will never be able to convince some people that their beliefs are misguided.

Move along and have a nice day.

If you were to worry about everyone with a different opinion, you wouldn't have a life to live.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP, but I'll echo the thoughts of the above. It's a futile war, with minimal chance of success.

Some idiot has always got to ruin it for the majority.

(as for asking what's wrong with 4wd, this is just as bad, this is a thread about people's mentality, if you want to build a case about why 4wd cars are legit drift machines, I'm sure there is atleast one thread arguing about it)

This mentality is common in all walks of life.

Ignore the haters. Keep drifting fun.

You will never be able to convince some people that their beliefs are misguided.

Move along and have a nice day.

If you were to worry about everyone with a different opinion, you wouldn't have a life to live.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP, but I'll echo the thoughts of the above. It's a futile war, with minimal chance of success.

Some idiot has always got to ruin it for the majority.

(as for asking what's wrong with 4wd, this is just as bad, this is a thread about people's mentality, if you want to build a case about why 4wd cars are legit drift machines, I'm sure there is atleast one thread arguing about it)

Agreed 100% with the small revision that a case can be made for or against the legitimacy of any particular vehicle or style elsewhere. Limiting it to "for" implies that it's not legitimate and that too goes against the spirit of the thread. Anyway, if I don't like any particular setting in a room (real grip reduction, come on now people) or have difficulty with other users in a room, I'll just leave and find another or make my own.

A lot of people consider me narrow-minded, arrogant, etcetera etcetera. The thing is... Those people that know me well enough, really appreciate my lobbies.

Yes, my lobbies are extremely restricted. But the point to this is simple. The game has been out for how long? 2 months? People are still learning. Don't drift RR or MR cars when you don't understand the basics of what drifting is. Don't try to drift Le Mans cars, when you can't control an S-Chassis.

BUT! I agree there are skilled drivers out there. I do allow these drivers to use other cars than I myself would use because I trust them. The problem with this is, I don't trust a lot of people to be capable of handling difficult cars, and with good reason.

There are a lot of drifters, that can keep a car going sideways, or tandem. But a lot of people mistake this with driving ability. Be aware of people around you, keep in mind you're not alone on track. When you come out of the pits, either make use of your map or look behind you before getting onto the track. I can keep going with this paragraph for another 50 lines, but you get the jist... Drifting skill =/= Driving skill, people seem to forget that.

Y'all need to stop berating others on how to play the game and let people do whatever the 🤬 they want.

I'll never fathom why people get so mad because I use a different layout to what most "pro" players use, who the hell sets up these pro guidelines anyway?

As long as you got some basic track manners, a similar compound and you can tandem with me regardless of drivetrain I won't be mad at all 👍

For some of the posts on this thread, i cant quite tell if some of you are just solely expressing why Dan is in the right for creating this thread, or attacking the ones that Dan explains in this OP. Because if you're attacking the people that Dan is critisizing, then to do that is to miss the point of this thread entirely. I think what Dan is trying to do, is to get people to agree and take action, not just critisize and move on with the day.

Just sayin'.

For some of the posts on this thread, i cant quite tell if some of you are just solely expressing why Dan is in the right for creating this thread, or attacking the ones that Dan explains in this OP. Because if you're attacking the people that Dan is critisizing, then to do that is to miss the point of this thread entirely. I think what Dan is trying to do, is to get people to agree and take action, not just critisize and move on with the day.

Just sayin'.

THANK you!

I'm a jack of all trades with the DS3. I there anything special to drifting FR cars only?

I'm with Dan on this one, if I want to drift a friking Enzo I should be able to do it.

Back