Jaguar to Build More New Old Cars With the D-Type Continuation

Fabulous looking things, D Types.

Only for the short arses amongst us though.

There's a very good reason Jaguar is making these - they sell pretty well. They wouldn't bother otherwise.

Bloke in the workshop next to mine builds D types ... every bit hand made ... amazing !!!

Attachments

• 4CBF54AB-F3B2-408E-A3CC-CF830339AAA7.png
    4CBF54AB-F3B2-408E-A3CC-CF830339AAA7.png
    199.4 KB · Views: 61
The vintage community, much like with the last Jaguar continuation, aren't exactly happy about these. They see them as very well built reproduction kit cars.

The vintage community, much like with the last Jaguar continuation, aren't exactly happy about these. They see them as very well built reproduction kit cars.
The Vintage community are elitist snobs. If these cars are built exactly the way the originals were built then there is nothing to complain about. The only complaint a person could have is that it devalues the originals, which I think is quite contrary. The old models are obviously valuable enough for its manufacture to take interest in continuing production.

I assume this, and the others, are not road legal. Even if they were, you often can't reproduce a car that was road legal back in its day exactly as it was and still have it be road legal today. I have two cars which do not have backup cameras. You can't manufacture those two today and put them out on the road brand new, it's not legal in the US.

It's pretty shrewd of Jaguar to realize that some of these racing cars can be remade today and be just as useful and valuable as the original non-road-legal cars. There's only so far you can take it though. If the classic car community gets unnerved by this move from Jaguar and starts expecting it from other companies as well, they can always hide behind cars that were road legal. You can't build those and sell them today.

Can't call these cars with those prices its outrageous lol - buy an original You won't be able to drive them on the road either.Kind of defeats the object.:confused: Welcome to the latest big money grab before oil runs out ha ha

The Ferrari that was paired up with the Jag D Type :banghead:

Value of D's may depreciate with new cars coming on line - who wouldn't want a new engine/ bodywork for a fraction of the asking price of an original. All comes down to provenance and racing history really (and how deep your pockets are).

Last edited:
I assume this, and the others, are not road legal.
This wouldn't be but, bizarrely, it's not for any reason you might think. It's actually because it's made by Jaguar.

Here in the UK, if you were to build an entirely original Jaguar D-type to 1957 specifications, in your garage, in 2018 and try to register it as a road car, chances are you'd actually succeed. For the most part, the IVA test for a vehicle like that is exceptionally forgiving. So long as it meets basic equipment requirements (relevant lights, horn, handbrake) and doesn't have any sharp bits likely to gouge the ankles of pedestrians, you'd be pretty much good to go.

If you were a low volume manufacturer, like Ariel or Caterham, there's an even better chance you could make an entirely original Jaguar D-type to 1957 specifications as a new car in 2018, and sell it to other humans. You can, for example, buy brand new Jaguar XJ13s that are such good replicas that the only way you know it's a replica is because you know where the real one is at all times...

But Jaguar is making these, and that means that to be road legal there are a million 2018 hoops to jump through, from safety and equipment right down to emissions.

The Ferrari that was paired up with the Jag D Type :banghead:
Okay, that covers a small portion of that peculiar confluence of thoughts that included whether gas was provided, breathing, a link to an image of something not on offer at the auction and...of all things...GTS.

This wouldn't be but, bizarrely, it's not for any reason you might think. It's actually because it's made by Jaguar.

Here in the UK, if you were to build an entirely original Jaguar D-type to 1957 specifications, in your garage, in 2018 and try to register it as a road car, chances are you'd actually succeed. For the most part, the IVA test for a vehicle like that is exceptionally forgiving. So long as it meets basic equipment requirements (relevant lights, horn, handbrake) and doesn't have any sharp bits likely to gouge the ankles of pedestrians, you'd be pretty much good to go.

If you were a low volume manufacturer, like Ariel or Caterham, there's an even better chance you could make an entirely original Jaguar D-type to 1957 specifications as a new car in 2018, and sell it to other humans. You can, for example, buy brand new Jaguar XJ13s that are such good replicas that the only way you know it's a replica is because you know where the real one is at all times...

But Jaguar is making these, and that means that to be road legal there are a million 2018 hoops to jump through, from safety and equipment right down to emissions.

It looks like that's somewhat the case in the US, with the possible exception of emissions. We have a low-volume carve-out for manufacturers that make (500 or less?) vehicles, but apparently it still has to comply with modern emissions and use a modern engine.

Bugatti could make some coin if they brought back that beast :bowdown:...just saying while we were on topic about antiques and the Ferrari was mentioned in the post you quoted ...should I not mention GT on this site ha ha?

I'm interested in seeing how these are received by the vintage racing community. While I'm sure that most anyone currently deciding to buy one won't actually be able to because of existing demand, the ability to participate in these events is sure to broaden the appeal.

I'm interested in seeing how these are received by the vintage racing community. While I'm sure that most anyone currently deciding to buy one won't actually be able to because of existing demand, the ability to participate in these events is sure to broaden the appeal.

Considering that the last time Jaguar "continued" a run of cars only for the majority (if not all) to be frowned upon by said community, these new D-Types may well be treated the same.

Considering that the last time Jaguar "continued" a run of cars only for the majority (if not all) to be frowned upon by said community, these new D-Types may well be treated the same.
Not that I doubt the comment in any way, shape or form--I'm actually interested in the particulars of this reaction and how the reissues are specifically addressed--do you have anything to support it?

This is a bit flimsy in terms of evidence, but I remember there was a TV program back in 2015 that followed the build of the six Lightweight E-Types yet to be fulfilled in Jaguar's chassis ledger, and towards the end Lord March was asked to see if any of the cars could be allowed to race at the Goodwood Members' Meeting. He declined, stating that they were replicas, not period race cars.

Of course GRRC and SVRA are different organizations, and while Lord March's feelings may ultimately impact the former, I suspect they'd, at the very most, only be considered by the latter.

A cursory search has resulted in nothing that addresses the six reissued E-Types or the ten XKSS models--either to permit or prohibit entry in SVRA events. With just sixteen cars at this point, the issue likely hasn't even warranted addressing.

I'm torn on the whole thing. It smells of that whole "retro money-grab" approach to business that I so detest, but the cars are being painstakingly built to be as close to the original as possible--something that can't be said about a new Camaro. Of course there's also an element of bias in my viewing of these, as I find them terribly appealing, and "if some are good, more can only be better," right? I can't say the same for Camaros...old or new.

It's definitely a 50/50 split in opinion.

Personally, whilst the reasoning behind "retro" or "continuation" builds may be controversial, I find the engineering and craftsmanship of said builds to be truly fascinating.

The Singer 911s for example. Some of those cars don't appease everyone, but the attention to detail and the finish is impeccable.

This is a bit flimsy in terms of evidence, but I remember there was a TV program back in 2015 that followed the build of the six Lightweight E-Types yet to be fulfilled in Jaguar's chassis ledger, and towards the end Lord March was asked to see if any of the cars could be allowed to race at the Goodwood Members' Meeting. He declined, stating that they were replicas, not period race cars.

I don’t get that. There are a whole heap of Ferrari’s racing in historics that aren’t what they started out as... rebodied, different chassis, different engines, combined to ‘create’ a replica of a different model. Then there are things like old 911’s, converted to ST spec, with FIA papers to allow them to compete in events they wouldn’t have been able to originally.

Don’t see how this is any different.

Back