Jaguar XJ220 Appears in Gran Turismo Presentation by Kazunori Yamauchi

• Thread starter Famine
  • 101 comments
anger-management-jack-nicholson.gif

How to say you're under 30 years old without saying that you're under 30 years old.
My PSN username may give a clue as to my age - next year is a big one and it starts with a 4

I had car posters on my wall when that was released but it didn't make the cut against the F1, EB110, NSX, Cozza, frickin Viper.
Against those contempories, it's truly hideous.

Last edited:
Well, Happy Early Birthday (I turn 40 as well next year), and I think you're the first car-person our age that I've met who doesn't think the XJ220 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. To each their own, I guess.
Different strokes for different folks, right? For example, I’m not enamoured with many of Zagato’s designs - not that they’re bad, art is of course subjective and in the eye of the beholder, but for me, they’re not great looking.

In a similar vein, many classic sports cars don’t do much for me either, it’s just something that doesn’t capture me as it does for some others. However, I really like how the Veyron looks, whereas many don’t.

That said, I think with age, I’m starting to appreciate classic sports cars more, I’m liking the designs more, but they’re still not amazing - just in terms of how they look to me. They are of course great designs, they just don’t resonate with me as they do some others.

Last edited:
I think you're the first car-person our age that I've met who doesn't think the XJ220 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made
As long as you can't see any of the rear end, it's pretty spectacular.

Sadly the game I reference in the article is exclusively in chase cam.

B80
Recall the hype around this when it was first released.

And the video game based around it on the Amiga all those years ago!
Got that bundled with my brand spanking new Amiga 1200 (Which I still have & works) & discovered the power brick was wonky, so had weird awful sound for my first night of driving this game.

@Famine
"The slide, titled “Data Capturing”, shows off a little of Polyphony’s scannining technique"

What kind of technique? 😉

Exciting to see the car. Personally, I'm a fan of its rear-end!

Everytime i look at a picture of the XJ i'm always surprised at just how long it is.You think it ended but it just keeps going.
Also,yeah that rear end isn't the prettiest.

Last edited:
Hopefully aero upgrades include S parts. It was a road going version of the competition car built by TWR. Although I believe some standard XJ220’s were later converted to S specification by Don Law.

Some Don Law videos

B80
Recall the hype around this when it was first released.

And the video game based around it on the Amiga all those years ago!
That looks exactly like Lotus Turbo Challenge I played as a kid. I had no idea they made a Jaguar version of that game!

As for the Car, I've always liked it and I can't wait to turn it into this and do a couple 30 minute LeMans races with it:

maxresdefault (14).jpg

Last edited:
That looks exactly like Lotus Turbo Challenge I played as a kid. I had no idea they made a Jaguar version of that game!
They didn't; Gremlin made Lotus, Core made Jaguar. They looked very similar (and there were GT/Forza-level debates on whether Jaguar XJ220 or Lotus - by then Lotus 3 - was best) but since Core was made up of ex-Gremlin employees that's probably not an accident...

I think I have an original box for one of the Lotus games around here somewhere (which is a rarity given how many people's Amiga collections were on blue discs with handwritten pen labels)...

Last edited:
Among those was the prospect of a PC version of Gran Turismo, which Yamauchi had said was something he would consider. The series creator elaborated that he is “always thinking about all the possibilities”, such as a PC version, but that Polyphony Digital hasn’t “done anything specifically” with regards to such an endeavour.
This is the 2nd article mentioning GT and the possibility of being on PC over the last couple of weeks, so I think they are further along that route than maybe they are letting on. I think mentioning it a lot is testing the responses, and also, if they have decided that is the route they are going to go down, which I think they already have, then the more it is mentioned, the more normal it will seem as an idea.
While that doesn’t entirely nail the coffin lid shut on a future PC Gran Turismo title, it does rather suggest that if there ever is one it won’t be for a good long while yet.
GT7 also being on PS4 seemed to come out of nowhere quite late, and if they don't try a late release for GT7 on PC to boost sales and extend the shelf life of GT7 (between the probably many years until the next game), then it will definitely (imho) be developed at the same time on PC as a console version for the next GT game. Doing that may also lengthen the time to develop the next game.

But then again, the trend for releasing unfinished games may mean it is released sooner than in previous versions. 🤔 🤔 :banghead: :lol:

Back