Just Raced Under The New Algorithms and Rules

• Thread starter GTFraker
  • 1,445 comments
Now when I watched my race on video, I'm even more surprised, then due to undeserved double penalty, my SR S raised after race!

Well, that's the least game could do to "fix" it's mistake - but we all know, specially SR S, what is system doing last days...

It starts to happen from 1:30, if you are not interested in whole race - that was maximum fair from me!

I think a lot of what is being discussed in this thread can be attributed to the server improperly giving out penalties because of a bug.

I created a thread for it here -> https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/penalty-bug-needs-to-be-fixed.376214/

In short, we know there needs to be good communication between the server and the clients involved in an altercation. However, it looks like the server isn't very good at syncing the events across the clients.

I will wager that if the penalties lasted until the end of the race, we would see a big discrepancy between what the penalty system assigns the different drivers on their own systems.

This whole "profiting from the Ghosting issue" -thing is a nonsense. And that is just another prove that a penalty system can not work without analyzing the movements for some time pre/post any event. Making donuts can be a good fun but theres no place for that in a race. This movement can be easily identifyed - DSQ. And so on, analyzing movements and results after a contact could help fairly judge penalties, not just dumbly sprinkle away to everybody was ever around.

When I get spun around on Brand's hatch and drive a bit back up the hill in the gravel to safely turn back onto the road the disqualification time already starts running. How can people get away with doing donuts??? I can't even make a safe turn back on the track before either getting threatened with dsq or promptly spawned in the racing line right before merging onto the road...

I know what you mean by bad drivers at the rear. Im not trying to get to the front, only trying to pass the cars that go off or are incredibly slow, Im trying to get clean races in. Now the I am stuck in the SR/B group the problem with starting at the front is I always seem to be in the group that want to win the the race at the first corner of the first lap, there is almost always massive carnage, especially if the drivers have green home country flags. I will go for pole and cross my fingers tonight I guess.
I see, I didn't realise you were starting at the back just to get your SR up 👍

@zaxs

I would probably have just carried that 2 second penalty... you lost way more time by burning it. Also, have you tried using radar as opposed to track map? That will give you a much better idea when other drivers are coming at you unnaturally fast or attempting to take your inside, meaning you can take evasive action.

At DR C the penalty system seems appropriate. I had a race yesterday on Miyagi where an overlapped trailing car closed the door on me and threw me into a wall, which caused me to ricochet back at him, which threw him off of the course. At that point I fell back into the mad max section of the pack where two drivers proceeded to play bumper cars with me.

Once they began to ram me I reverted to GTA defensive tactics of braking, counter steering, and downshifting to increase torque and wedge my car against their impacts. It has the effect of holding my spot on the track while we both grind to a slow stall, with me using my car as a brace instead of a ping pong ball. After the nonsense I had fallen back to 8th place on the track. We finished up and everyone but me had collected so many penalties that I ended up in 5th place with a blue SR S after it was all added up.

It was stressful to deal with but the end result felt appropriate with me only losing one finish position due to the chaos.

💡 or add a blue flag and penalty for those that dont let you pass ;)
I'm not making a suggestion, I mean that they are meant to ghost after update 1.13. So this lapped guy should not have been able to throw @BallPtPenTheif into the wall

- Cars over a lap behind will now be ghosted and will not be subject to collisions. (Only enabled in Sport mode);

I'm not making a suggestion, I mean that they are meant to ghost after update 1.13. So this lapped guy should not have been able to throw @BallPtPenTheif into the wall

Haha, sorry if I caused any confusion. I didn't mean to say that he was lapped. I meant "overlapped" as in his front axle was near the rear axle of my car. He cut me off on the apex and guided me into the wall like we were playing Tron.

Haha, sorry if I caused any confusion. I didn't mean to say that he was lapped. I meant "overlapped" as in his front axle was near the rear axle of my car. He cut me off on the apex and guided me into the wall like we were playing Tron.
Ahhhhhh 👍

Just had a few races today in the RSO1 Renault One Make and there was a lot of ghosting happening! I witnessed somebody trying to sideswipe the guy in front of him and he ghosted right through ending up off the track!

I race in B/S and this is a good improvement, I actually look forward to racing more now

Yesterday in the Gr.1 Brands Hatch race I received a 3s penalty on the last straight before the pits, just before I was going to pit anyway. I intended to serve the penalty later and pitted as normal. Imagine my surprise to see the penalty gone when I exited the pits, apparently without loss of time.

Yesterday in the Gr.1 Brands Hatch race I received a 3s penalty on the last straight before the pits, just before I was going to pit anyway. I intended to serve the penalty later and pitted as normal. Imagine my surprise to see the penalty gone when I exited the pits, apparently without loss of time.
You can actually serve penalties on the way into Brands pit as the S shaped barrier means you have to slow down a lot compared with other pits that you can fly into at 100mph+

You can actually serve penalties on the way into Brands pit as the S shaped barrier means you have to slow down a lot compared with other pits that you can fly into at 100mph+

That may have happened, but I don't think it did. The penalty indicator was clearly still there when I entered the pits, and gone when I exited. I guess it's possible that the just happened to expire right when the pit auto-drive kicked in.

I was pretty happy with the result, regardless!

Just had a few races today in the RSO1 Renault One Make and there was a lot of ghosting happening! I witnessed somebody trying to sideswipe the guy in front of him and he ghosted right through ending up off the track!

I race in B/S and this is a good improvement, I actually look forward to racing more now

Cool! :)

this issue with the "ofended" car being ghosted.. is kinda new.. ain´t it??

I´m also BS :)

One thing that I still don´t understand...

For most of penalties (if not to all),I´m not able to make them drop just by stopping acceleration or with a percentual braking (like for trail braking)!! It´s like I have to perform a very heavy braking and almost (or even) totally stop/park my car!!!

Is this supposed to happen, or what am I doing wrong???

One thing that I still don´t understand...

For most of penalties (if not to all),I´m not able to make them drop just by stopping acceleration or with a percentual braking (like for trail braking)!! It´s like I have to perform a very heavy braking and almost (or even) totally stop/park my car!!!

Is this supposed to happen, or what am I doing wrong???
They have made it much harder since the new system. Now, you have to almost stop to get rid of the time (this is why the Brands pit entry is good, the S shaped wall means you have to slow right down to prevent crashing)... now it's better to carry the penalty to the end... unless of course it is over 5 seconds and increasing :)

They have made it much harder since the new system. Now, you have to almost stop to get rid of the time (this is why the Brands pit entry is good, the S shaped wall means you have to slow right down to prevent crashing)... now it's better to carry the penalty to the end... unless of course it is over 5 seconds and increasing :)

Yeah.. actually that is what I´ve been doing... carry the penalty until the finish..

Well i thought it was supposed to be fixed?
Just done 2 races, timer still goes up which means still slow moving obstacles on track and still get penalties for others hitting you.

Was excited to get back after abandoning it for a week but more dissapointment. (This is SS too)

is this after latest update? ... I became saturated with SS style of online racing weeks ago and now when I'm in mood for driving I just do open lobby racing which is more relaxed and you can try different less competitive cars without worry about your rating.

I have found that if I brake a couple car lengths early I can bleed it off over a few corners if its 4-5 seconds. I like to get rid of them ASAP rather than carrying them till end. Just this morning on the Renault 1 make race I got hit with a 4 second penalty cause some jerk spun into grass a pulled back onto track, PERPENDICULAR to the traffic, I t-boned him cause his car didnt ghost, there was a car right beside me, and he pulled out right in front of me. Oh yeah, I noticed at the end he got no penalty. Apparently he doesnt know if you sit still while off track the game puts you back on course when its safe. I hate when I have to pay for some idiots mistake.

I see, I didn't realise you were starting at the back just to get your SR up 👍

@zaxs

I would probably have just carried that 2 second penalty... you lost way more time by burning it. Also, have you tried using radar as opposed to track map? That will give you a much better idea when other drivers are coming at you unnaturally fast or attempting to take your inside, meaning you can take evasive action.

I never use the track map at the bottom, I always have radar on for races. I managed to work my way back to SR/S but got bumped down to DR/D, but then a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th got me back up to DR/C and SR/S with a few blue S's at races end so I am in good shape again, I can start racing now again. Running that 1 make race with the POS sliding Benz at Dragon Trail is asking for an SR beating, guys just have not figured out you need to brake early and be smooth with that car to keep it under control. I have brake balance maxed out to the front to keep the rear behind me with that thing. If you brake early and are smooth with gas and wheel you can be pretty fast with it but the first time you take evasive action your going to loop it.

Dont you love it when a guy comes flying thru the corner too fast and leans on you for stability and you get a penalty??? Theres gotta be way PD can fix this issue, it is really failing right now. Same with a car coming slowly off of the grass or sand perpendicular to race traffic then the cars racing on track getting penalties for hitting him.

At DR C the penalty system seems appropriate. I had a race yesterday on Miyagi where an overlapped trailing car closed the door on me and threw me into a wall, which caused me to ricochet back at him, which threw him off of the course. At that point I fell back into the mad max section of the pack where two drivers proceeded to play bumper cars with me.

Once they began to ram me I reverted to GTA defensive tactics of braking, counter steering, and downshifting to increase torque and wedge my car against their impacts. It has the effect of holding my spot on the track while we both grind to a slow stall, with me using my car as a brace instead of a ping pong ball. After the nonsense I had fallen back to 8th place on the track. We finished up and everyone but me had collected so many penalties that I ended up in 5th place with a blue SR S after it was all added up.

It was stressful to deal with but the end result felt appropriate with me only losing one finish position due to the chaos.

I've given up on it for the time being. This kinda thing had stopped under the old (new) penalties.

I got spoiled with all the good behaviour, because now it seems we are back to bump passes, used as a guard rail and just general "ooh you've left 3inches of space, my car will fit" even at A/S. Best drivers? Lmao.

I'm thinking I should just start driving the same as the idiots but can't bring myself to it.

I've got a good group of friends now that I can lobby with. It's clean, fair and contact is not tolerated. Much more fun, like GT5/6 lobbies :D

I've given up on it for the time being. This kinda thing had stopped under the old (new) penalties.

I got spoiled with all the good behaviour, because now it seems we are back to bump passes, used as a guard rail and just general "ooh you've left 3inches of space, my car will fit" even at A/S. Best drivers? Lmao.

I'm thinking I should just start driving the same as the idiots but can't bring myself to it.

I've got a good group of friends now that I can lobby with. It's clean, fair and contact is not tolerated. Much more fun, like GT5/6 lobbies :D

You can find a lobby to play in? It's like a ghost town with tumbleweeds out there sometimes.

To an extent, I have to agree with you. I felt the penalties were too severe before, but this reversion seems like it also has gone a little too far back to the leniency of old. Too many people are trying dumb moves and then crying foul.

Right now the biggest cause of anger from other drivers seems to be that they don't know how to drive side by side with other cars. When we go two wide I hold my line up to the last car width at the edge of the track. They seem to resent having to drive on the edge of the track, and that's usually when they start ramming me or trying to edge me back towards the inside. I really don't think they know that as the trailing car, they are only obligated to the space left on the track and not the lead line, as if I'm supposed to neuter my exit speed because they started to catch up.

As we've seen there's even drivers on this message board that fail to grasp these concepts and the fact that I held my ground and withstood numerous collisions while receiving no penalties (unlike the 5 or so other cars in the back) leads me to think that my etiquette is on the right track.

You can find a lobby to play in? It's like a ghost town with tumbleweeds out there sometimes.

To an extent, I have to agree with you. I felt the penalties were too severe before, but this reversion seems like it also has gone a little too far back to the leniency of old. Too many people are trying dumb moves and then crying foul.

Right now the biggest cause of anger from other drivers seems to be that they don't know how to drive side by side with other cars. When we go two wide I hold my line up to the last car width at the edge of the track. They seem to resent having to drive on the edge of the track, and that's usually when they start ramming me or trying to edge me back towards the inside. I really don't think they know that as the trailing car, they are only obligated to the space left on the track and not the lead line, as if I'm supposed to neuter my exit speed because they started to catch up.

As we've seen there's even drivers on this message board that fail to grasp these concepts and the fact that I held my ground and withstood numerous collisions while receiving no penalties (unlike the 5 or so other cars in the back) leads me to think that my etiquette is on the right track.

I kinda blame my mentality a bit. This is no "sim" and I'm trying to play it like it is just that. Others are playing the "game" if you get what I mean?

@Voodoovaj I don't look for lobbies because, as you say, it's a ghost town. I have friends from GT5 and 6 and some from this forum who I join if they are in a lobby. Or I will get a group message if someone puts a lobby up. It doesn't have the edge of sport mode though, but the racing is more enjoyable, even if it's only 6 cars on the grid.

I just wish I could jump into sport mode on any track/car combo, safe in the knowledge that the ranking system wasn't putting me in with "game players" but "sim racers" (that's just my terminology, not meant as an insult to anybody). I've never raced Nurb24 or Bathurst in sport, purely through not trusting other racers behaviour (and I ran Nurb24 exclusively in lobbies on GT5 with super clean fast racing).

It is what it is, and I probably just need to lower my expectations in public matches lol.

One shortcoming appears to be the guy that brakes late and will race you to the apex carrying so much speed that he would never be able to keep it on track if your car wasnt there for him to lean on, I had a couple guys do that to me and I didnt see them get penalties. Usually I dont mind if they make the pass cause I will just get them back when they push up a couple corners later. I seem to get my best times braking a little early, keeping the car under control, and carrying more speed on exit.

Back