Just Raced Under The New Algorithms and Rules

• Thread starter GTFraker
  • 1,445 comments
I kinda blame my mentality a bit. This is no "sim" and I'm trying to play it like it is just that. Others are playing the "game" if you get what I mean?
~~~
It is what it is, and I probably just need to lower my expectations in public matches lol.
I'm so with you... "real racing simulator"... that keeps coming to mind, and, I keep hoping for that...
It saddens me that we probably, truly, need to "lower our expectations".
PD has to make a decision, be a "real racing simulator", or, be a console/arcade game.
Update 1.13 was teaching the community acceptable behaviour... but... all the "gamers" couldn't take it, and, I'm guessing PD looked at it's bottom line ($$/revenue/sales) and pulled out of being true to teaching racing behaviour to the masses "gamers".

Don't want to spend the coin (It's not really the cost/maintenance, it's just I'm a tight SOB), but seriously considering I-racing.

At the manufacturer race in Tokyo today, I was fighting someone for 5th place. We were side by side through a corner and he makes slight contact with me, nearly squeezing me into a wall. Right after, I see that both of us got a 1-second penalty (The orange text on the bottom of the screen showed that the other driver got a 1-second penalty). After the race, the race results show the other driver with no red dot on their finishing time, and the other driver confirms this, saying he never got a penalty.

So to recap... the game told me that both of us got a penalty for contact when one of us (the other driver) actually didn't. :grumpy:

At the manufacturer race in Tokyo today, I was fighting someone for 5th place. We were side by side through a corner and he makes slight contact with me, nearly squeezing me into a wall. Right after, I see that both of us got a 1-second penalty (The orange text on the bottom of the screen showed that the other driver got a 1-second penalty). After the race, the race results show the other driver with no red dot on their finishing time, and the other driver confirms this, saying he never got a penalty.

So to recap... the game told me that both of us got a penalty for contact when one of us (the other driver) actually didn't. :grumpy:

Someone posted I video showing the same sort of thing, side / rear corner contact,
penalty displayed as given to both, but other driver didn't receive and no red dot.

Wouldn't a damage system get rid of you as well? The victim is usually off worse when you get pushed into a wall or punted into the car in front of you. Nudging people off track will only increase with damage.
ha, I just did a race in iRacing today, some brave hero tried to make his way between me and another car (my crewchief was going haywire) and the hero made a mistake and took out 4 of us, damaged my car to the point that it wouldn't even start anymore- even heard a "BOOM" with thick smoke coming from the hood. I wasn't happy as I was doing well.

I never use the track map at the bottom, I always have radar on for races. I managed to work my way back to SR/S but got bumped down to DR/D, but then a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th got me back up to DR/C and SR/S with a few blue S's at races end so I am in good shape again, I can start racing now again. Running that 1 make race with the POS sliding Benz at Dragon Trail is asking for an SR beating, guys just have not figured out you need to brake early and be smooth with that car to keep it under control. I have brake balance maxed out to the front to keep the rear behind me with that thing. If you brake early and are smooth with gas and wheel you can be pretty fast with it but the first time you take evasive action your going to loop it.
👍 it's much easier to build DR if you can maintain your SR at 99

You can see the difference between my turbulent first 90 days:

upload_2018-3-16_9-19-29.png

And when I started really changing my driving behaviour:

upload_2018-3-16_9-19-56.png

You want a system where the best drivers turn it all off because it's quicker. We don't have that. You can run it effectively "OFF" at TC 2

I haven't seen any evidence that the favorable scenario you outline isn't already in play:

Low TC < ------------------------- > High TC
Difficult < ------------------------- >Easy
Fast < ------------------------- >Slow
Risky < ------------------------- >Safe

I agree with Apex Predator on TC off being faster. I get it that TC 2 feels very safe and you can race at a competitive pace with it, but I do not think that TC 2 is faster than TC off. As Apex said, too early on the throttle and it'd bog you down. With throttle modulation you won't notice the TC much, but from my experience to get that final tenths on a corner you'd have to apply the throttle early and aggressively enough for TC to bog you down.

TC 2 takes away the "risk" of spinning out at each corner, yes. And you can keep a decent race pace with it on, I agree. But the only thing I'd like to disagree on is saying that TC 2 is just as fast as TC off.
Alpha was spot on there imo, but this should put this old disagreement to bed:

Does this deserve a 5 sec penalty?

I see him go wide and I'm about to let of the gas to make sure I leave room at the edge without the car behind me running into me. However before I can correct he comes back at a weird angle. Since I hit his door, the game decides I'm punting him off. No penalty for him and I have to let 3 cars pass.

I can't slam on the brakes in the apex with another car on my back :/

👍 it's much easier to build DR if you can maintain your SR at 99

You can see the difference between my turbulent first 90 days:

View attachment 722376

And when I started really changing my driving behaviour:

View attachment 722378

Agree 100%
Screenshot_20180316-022538.jpg

A little change in style and mentality can make the world of difference.
Day 90 was from midnight till half 2 or 3 this morning I can't quite remember i stayed up way too late, it's that just 1 more..... 4 races later :D

Does this deserve a 5 sec penalty?

I see him go wide and I'm about to let of the gas to make sure I leave room at the edge without the car behind me running into me. However before I can correct he comes back at a weird angle. Since I hit his door, the game decides I'm punting him off. No penalty for him and I have to let 3 cars pass.

I can't slam on the brakes in the apex with another car on my back :/

You shouldn't have been penalised for that. You gave plenty of room to sort out his mess and he still hit you.

Nothing you could do.

PD has to make a decision, be a "real racing simulator", or, be a console/arcade game.
Update 1.13 was teaching the community acceptable behaviour... but... all the "gamers" couldn't take it, and, I'm guessing PD looked at it's bottom line ($$/revenue/sales) and pulled out of being true to teaching racing behaviour to the masses "gamers".

So you're saying getting penalties for no reason (pushed slightly from behind or guys serving their penalties in corners) are acceptable in racing?
I really dont get how you can defend the system PD calls Safety Rating!? :odd:

No, I did not like the penalties when looked at as a sole entity... or the way they were being served.
I did like the way the penalties were modifying the behavior of the community.
I think leaving the penalties as they were, and forcing them to be carried to the end or served during pit stops would have been a good modification.
I do think relaxing the penalties has brought back the ramming/divebombing/nudging...
I also have faith the safety rating would work if people would stop "gaming" and simply race to the best of their ability... cleanly.

So you're saying getting penalties for no reason (pushed slightly from behind or guys serving their penalties in corners) are acceptable in racing?
I really dont get how you can defend the system PD calls Safety Rating!? :odd:

That wasn't the point. The point is there are to many people racing under the banner of "hard racing" while in fact they are using other as brakes, guardrails, divebombing etc. The old (new) system almost abolished bad driving imo.

The very night they lessened the penalties, I was exposed to rat driving again.

The amount of people who couldn't manage to race under those harsh penalties because they couldn't help but touch multiple cars in 1 race then cry foul of penalties was incredible, even at DR:S.

Yes, they were harsh, and yes very minor contact shouldn't be penalised, but it did, and still people drove 2inches off bumpers or "showed their nose" where there was no room to do so. Something needs to be done about driving standards in high ranks, because imo, it's shocking.

If people drove correctly, penalties would be a minimum, and therefore not as much as problem. Carry those penalties to the end instead of scrubbing would be even better.

I can race in lobbies which don't tolerate conatct, and have very close racing with respect. Sport mode is turning into a breeding ground for stat whores and Epeen flexing under the banner of "hard" or "competitive" racing and will then bring up touring cars as some form of justification for asshat driving. Touring cars are the joke of motorsport in terms of driver behaviour. Is that the game you want to play?

Agree 100% View attachment 722523

A little change in style and mentality can make the world of difference.
Day 90 was from midnight till half 2 or 3 this morning I can't quite remember i stayed up way too late, it's that just 1 more..... 4 races later :D

That's incredible :lol: but yeah, illustrates the point even better than my graph. I must thank everyone on this site, as my driving would not have changed otherwise :)

Anyone finding they are getting screwed with this newer version of SR? I’m starting to get pretty annoyed.

I had been an S grade since I first started, one race the other day I qualified 4th, rear ended in first corner, rest of the pack plowed into me until my car ghosted. No more incidents. End of race I was at a B safety rating.

Got back up to an A at the sacrifice of a DR grade (I just sat at the back for a few races). Then today I got smashed on the first corner of Tokyo expressway (I couldn’t have braked any later) and my rating goes back down to C.

It seems like unless I go full SR driver mode and let my DR drop all the way, I’m not going to be making it back to S. Even then, if one bad smash from behind is going to knock me down, what’s the point?

There are some tracks which are not good for SR... all Tokyos, Monza, Mount Panorama for example.. the Tokyo tracks and Mount Panorama are tight with walls, so there is a high chance of collisions therefore SR drops. Monza has the chicanes which are a recipe for collision and also very harsh corner penalties. Basically, avoid these tracks if you are worried about SR.

Finally made it to DR: B, so far not much in the way of excessive penalties. The system is behaving weird though. On Monza I accidentally nudged a few cars and partially became the victim of a chicane pileup because I slowed down to dodge a spinning car. Throughout all of this the game gave no indication of a penalty for me in either time or negative SR.

I finish the race and I leave with a red S on my SR rating.

Finally made it to DR: B, so far not much in the way of excessive penalties. The system is behaving weird though. On Monza I accidentally nudged a few cars and partially became the victim of a chicane pileup because I slowed down to dodge a spinning car. Throughout all of this the game gave no indication of a penalty for me in either time or negative SR.

I finish the race and I leave with a red S on my SR rating.
@Sven Jurgens has said the same about Monza... it's like you start any race there with negative SR :lol:

There are some tracks which are not good for SR... all Tokyos, Monza, Mount Panorama for example.. the Tokyo tracks and Mount Panorama are tight with walls, so there is a high chance of collisions therefore SR drops. Monza has the chicanes which are a recipe for collision and also very harsh corner penalties. Basically, avoid these tracks if you are worried about SR.

Don't forget Interlagos
PVIc.jpg

https://www.jasonguernsey.net/gts/tracks/by-category
4th column is average SR lost per player per race.

Surprisingly central outer loop on Tokyo is safe!
Monza is the king of SR loss.

I am so tired of getting 5 second penalties for ramming cars who stop right in front of me. They need to ghost cars who serve penalties. The penalties on Dr A are ludicrous

Seriously though. This kid stopped on the straightaway... I'm not expecting anyone to stop there. Had a car to my left and off track to my right, where am I supposed to go? I get the worst of it and I still have to serve a penalty. This kid finished better than me, so unfair

I am so tired of getting 5 second penalties for ramming cars who stop right in front of me. They need to ghost cars who serve penalties. The penalties on Dr A are ludicrous

That race we were just in, I braked in time for the car in front of me braking in the apex for the fast right hander. The car behind me didn't pay attention and rear ended me and I get a 4 sec brake check? penalty. It's a no win situation. Either you hit the car braking too much or get hit by the car on your ass, penalty either way. I guess 4 sec is a slight improvement over 5 :)

Still trying to get that SR loss back from that one race, keep getting whites, still dirty. Oh and now they dropped me to SR.A, got rammed, bump passed, dive bombed and brake checked all in one race. Interlagos at its finest

That race we were just in, I braked in time for the car in front of me braking in the apex for the fast right hander. The car behind me didn't pay attention and rear ended me and I get a 4 sec brake check? penalty. It's a no win situation. Either you hit the car braking too much or get hit by the car on your ass, penalty either way. I guess 4 sec is a slight improvement over 5 :)

Still trying to get that SR loss back from that one race, keep getting whites, still dirty. Oh and now they dropped me to SR.A, got rammed, bump passed, dive bombed and brake checked all in one race. Interlagos at its finest
Ohhhhh, so you were the one saying hi to me! I didn't recognize the psn lol

Yeah I'm so tired of the penalties :/ I have gotten a couple of one second penalties for people tapping my rear bumper in braking zones. How do I avoid that?:ouch::banghead:

Ohhhhh, so you were the one saying hi to me! I didn't recognize the psn lol

Yeah I'm so tired of the penalties :/ I have gotten a couple of one second penalties for people tapping my rear bumper in braking zones. How do I avoid that?:ouch::banghead:

No clue. I was working my way back to SR 99. Then I got into a dirty race again, got rammed a few times, dropped back to 85. Next race I got rammed 3 times by the same car, dr.b, I got 2 x 2 sec penalties and dropped to 64, SR.B now. How low can it go... This guy rams me mid turn for no reason and I get the penalty, ****ed up.

Let's see if the racing is any cleaner in SR.B.

The problem is my qualifying time isn't all that great so I keep starting in the danger zone. Although last race I started 3rd where I lost 21 SR... Oh well, hopefully tomorrow's races will be better.

Edit: wow, SR.B on Interlagos is quite the show, that has nothing to do with racing. I got back to SR.A in that race, +3 SR. I let the aggressive idiot behind me pass and watched 1 to 3 bash into each other for most of the first lap until one of them hit the sand. I guess SR.S is better, or rather SR.B is even worse...

Last edited:
The 1 second penalties are fine... it's the 5+ that you get for others braking in front of you on the racing line. Had the same thing on BB last night.... I was in 3rd on the last lap, going round the second bend and the guy in front just stopped. I hit him, he boosted forward, I came to a near stop and then got 7.7 seconds of penalties which I have to serve, end up finishing 6th. So I go from potentially winning 500 or so DR, to losing 500. Reported the guy but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. Oh, also after 4 blue SR races this final race of the night netted me -3 SR so I finish the day off 99 :(

And yes @Sven Jurgens... I went down to SR/A a couple of weekends back on Interlagos and :nervous: just wow :lol:

The 1 second penalties are fine... it's the 5+ that you get for others braking in front of you on the racing line. Had the same thing on BB last night.... I was in 3rd on the last lap, going round the second bend and the guy in front just stopped. I hit him, he boosted forward, I came to a near stop and then got 7.7 seconds of penalties which I have to serve, end up finishing 6th. So I go from potentially winning 500 or so DR, to losing 500. Reported the guy but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. Oh, also after 4 blue SR races this final race of the night netted me -3 SR so I finish the day off 99 :(

And yes @Sven Jurgens... I went down to SR/A a couple of weekends back on Interlagos and :nervous: just wow :lol:

They need to ghost cars who serve penalties

Last edited:
Seriously though. This kid stopped on the straightaway... I'm not expecting anyone to stop there. Had a car to my left and off track to my right, where am I supposed to go? I get the worst of it and I still have to serve a penalty. This kid finished better than me, so unfair

I had exactly the same last night, Lambo driver at Interlagos but earlier in the lap, just stopped dead, forced me to hit him, I got a penalty and it cost me the race win.

wow, SR.B on Interlagos is quite the show, that has nothing to do with racing. I got back to SR.A in that race, +3 SR. I let the aggressive idiot behind me pass and watched 1 to 3 bash into each other for most of the first lap until one of them hit the sand. I guess SR.S is better, or rather SR.B is even worse...

It's quit shocking how people lose their minds during esses. Whenever I'm on someone's tail I tend to brake earlier to anticipate where they're braking but on Interlagos I was still constantly dive bombing people on accident because they were still braking earlier than my earlier brake point. I was expecting better driving at B relative to C, but it seems like there's just a lot of really fast but reckless drivers.

For example turn 4, at the end of the long straight 'Reta Oposta', my brake line is from the double cone to the apex. While following a lead car I brake at the first red warning light which is about a full two car lengths before the double cone marker. Even then, people were stomping on and off the brakes leading into the corner and then I'm braking and trying to edge into the inside just to avoid everyone.

And apparently the Senna S was made for passing because everyone tries.

Back