Kart Racing - Most frustrating races in GT6?

• Thread starter Devolution
  • 282 comments
DNW
Well, having previously only done the 125s, I decided last night to finally have a shot at the 125 shifter. Went to have a practice around the Brands Hatch layout to a feel for it and maybe an idea of how to set the transmission... nope. Couldn't run the shifter around there, or the Willow track. Ended up running around Monaco for a bunch of laps, which I found to be quite a bit of fun. Bit of a shame they didn't use it as one of the tracks in the championship, although in an arcade race around there I did find it rather easy. I reckon it'd make for some pretty good online racing though.

That said, DS3 users aside coz I dunno how the hell you guys can drive with that, I couldn't really see what the big deal is. I just set the top speed for I think 200km/h at the first two, and then 130km/h for GT Arena (just guesses, but they seemed to work out ok). At Willow I was in 3rd coming out of turn two on the first lap. They all pretty much parked it on the outside going into the corner, so I just bashed it down the inside and slotted in cleanly in 3rd. :lol:

No ballast involved, just a bit of free practice around Monaco and some transmission guesses. The main thing was just getting used to the throttle use for corners. Did have a few near misses around the GT Arena, but nothing a bit of quick countersteering couldn't fix.
DS3 users are just a skilled bunch....

I'm a DS3 user and you need 8 perfect laps, which I apparently still can't do, even after probably hundreds of attempts! This is just ridiculous!

I'm a DS3 user and you need 8 perfect laps, which I apparently still can't do, even after probably hundreds of attempts! This is just ridiculous!

That's what I thought before I managed it but you just really need 8 quick laps and luck with the AI (ie them not slowing you down much). On my gold race, I don't think I actually did a single perfect lap out of the 8...some I ran wide on corners, others I was too late with braking etc. It is hard with a DS3 but is possible. Not too sure what else to say other than it will come eventually.

Are there any particular areas you are struggling with? Or is it just too many slight errors compounded?

Finally, I managed gold in the GT Arena (already won the championship before)

Used a wheel and 8 decent laps. When your consistant, you will catch up.
I was in the lead starting lap 8...just needed to keep #2 behind me...

And yes, this was a 50 times re-try challenge.

On a side note, it really felt that the kart wasn't that slippery anymore (if I think of how it went 2 weeks ago)

Are there any particular areas you are struggling with? Or is it just too many slight errors compounded?[/quote]

While I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means, I have always golded everything from GT1 on (except for the Red Bull X Challenges). After literally hundreds of attempts, I can get fairly consistent laps, but always end up second or third. I don't know what else I can do. I've tried some of the suggestions posted here. I just hate not being able to gold everything...

While I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means, I have always golded everything from GT1 on (except for the Red Bull X Challenges). After literally hundreds of attempts, I can get fairly consistent laps, but always end up second or third. I don't know what else I can do. I've tried some of the suggestions posted here. I just hate not being able to gold everything...

I'm no expert either, believe me....after a year of trying there was a Kart race that I could never win on GT5 (at least until I'd used the Karts on GT6, then went back and golded on first try..figures!) so, I generally suck at the Karts. I can understand the frustration though.....this will be the first GT that I have a chance at golding everything (didn't play GT1-3, GT4 I only completed about 50% and GT5 got about 85% completed when GT6 came out) and the final Kart race was bugging me.

I had numerous goes at it where I came second and thrid, sometimes by 1.5 seconds, sometimes by 0.7 seconds, then got it down to 0.2 before it would go back to 0.7 or more...then it just happened and everything in the race went right for me (most of the corners were okay, the AI fell nicely for me, once or twice used the AI to help with turning, lap times were consistent). Am not sure what to suggest to help really....if you are getting consistent low 27s, high 26s across the race then you should be winning.

Some of it may be down to you getting frustrated which, in my case, led to more errors so I limited myself to 2 or 3 attempts at a time. Losing ground on the straight and final corner also caused me to over-drive at times which led to more errors.

Have you checked out the video I posted earlier in the thread on Page 8? If you haven't, it was done using a DS3 and may give you some ideas on cornering, lines, braking etc. If you've already seen it, then not sure what else I can suggest to help

I've managed gold in all cart races, I've stuffed around with any and every thing that looks like it is a setting of some kind or another. I couldn't even tell you which setting actually worked for me and on which cart race I just ground away until I got first. It was a real slog I tell you. Rest assured I was not the perfect gentleman on track. Either be a gentleman or a winner, you can't be both. At first it seems impossible to win but after a few attempts, I'd sit back and tried to visualise the race and where and how I f....d up. I totally lost track of how many hours I spent on GTarena track. What has really got me all steamed up is those little f...ing cones. I think its just a stupid trial, but I'll just keep at it, what else. I could have earned at least 10 milion credits in the time it took to gold the carts.

those karts... seriously. i understand everyone's frustration. i had golded the championship but had only gotten up to 4th on the Arena. So a few nights ago i just sat down and was determined to gold that race. i honestly lost track of how many times I restarted, how many times I bronzed, how many times I silvered... over and over until i finally got it. I do know that I lowered the transmission to max out at 76 mph or something near it. i had followed some advice from GTP and added 6kg of ballast to 25% from the rear and that did help me settle down the sliding a bit. in the end, though, i was so tired of finishing second that i lowered the ballast to 3kg, in the same location, and after another I-don't-know-how-many attempts I finally pulled it off. Exit. No more.
I love the karts, too. Always have. Real karting is the only racing I've actually done IRL. It is just that one race.
My advice - be patient in the early laps. You need to be passing, but if you are into the top 6 by mid-race then the leader will start coming back to you. Watch your speed in the corners - like, literally watch your speedo and make sure you are hitting the same speed in corner 1 and especially that last long sweeper onto the front straight. I could consistently hold that sweeper at 70mph without sliding, so i made sure to do it every single lap. Find your line and find the speed that maxes your grip without losing it and it will happen.

My issue with the Arena, and it looks like nursemorph was using the same or similar lines as me, is the double apex left hander I hug the kerb to the left. But I always get bounced and go airborne. So I try to back off that turn and I lose too much momentum. Is there any adjustment anyone has made that makes the kart less bouncy?

Is the ballast position helping that? I ran 10k at 50 and it helped me stop powersliding, but I still hit the kerbs and launch like a rocket off the ground. And I swear I am only hitting two wheels, like the video from nursemorph. Maybe it's my entry angle. I don't know.

Only star in the game I am missing.

My issue with the Arena, and it looks like nursemorph was using the same or similar lines as me, is the double apex left hander I hug the kerb to the left. But I always get bounced and go airborne. So I try to back off that turn and I lose too much momentum. Is there any adjustment anyone has made that makes the kart less bouncy?

Is the ballast position helping that? I ran 10k at 50 and it helped me stop powersliding, but I still hit the kerbs and launch like a rocket off the ground. And I swear I am only hitting two wheels, like the video from nursemorph. Maybe it's my entry angle. I don't know.

Yeah, you have to be careful with the kerbs. It sounds like you are taking too much kerb...you can use the bit right by the track but not the part of it when it rises if you understand me. It sounds like you need to widen your line slightly, maybe go slightly wider in the little straight before it...it is, unfortunately a case of trial and error. My run in the video I was trying to steer clear of the kerbs unless I was sure I wouldn't lose control (like when there was an ai there to help me brake).

Well, I finally got gold! I can't believe it! Thanks for putting up with all my frustration! You guys are the best!

:cheers: Congratulations on finally achieving it. It is tough but, with patience and perseverance, it is possible. As for your frustration, well, if you look back towards the beginning of the thread you will be able to observe that I was as furstrated as you were. Congrats again

For some reason, I don't find the kart races too difficult. I'm currently in IB, having completed the kart challenge there. The races were annoying, of course, but the one thing that bothered me was the AI's acceleration. From a standing start, I slowly get up to speed, while 1 or 2 (and if I was really unlucky, 3) AIs pass me, with no problem. That's a big problem!

:cheers: Congratulations on finally achieving it. It is tough but, with patience and perseverance, it is possible. As for your frustration, well, if you look back towards the beginning of the thread you will be able to observe that I was as furstrated as you were. Congrats again
Thanks again for ALL your encouragement!

Thanks again for ALL your encouragement!

You are welcome...I needed encouragement from other on the forum to keep going and get the event so it was right that I encourage others. Am glad the experience I gained from the event has helped 👍

Now to get ready for even more extreme Karting in GT7 (will take that long to get mentally prepeared) :P

I'd say pretty much keep off the bigger kerbs around tracks like GT Arena. How much kerb you take, how you hit it, if and how much you're turning, your pedal work, etc., will all affect how your kerb riding efforts go. I'd either go time trial and practice riding the kerbs until you know how to use them predictably, or just aim to steer clear of them.

For some reason, I don't find the kart races too difficult. I'm currently in IB, having completed the kart challenge there. The races were annoying, of course, but the one thing that bothered me was the AI's acceleration. From a standing start, I slowly get up to speed, while 1 or 2 (and if I was really unlucky, 3) AIs pass me, with no problem. That's a big problem!

The Karts were fairly simple through IB level...it's the Shifters in IA level that are the frustration. I added ballast most of the time so expected them to accelerate better (although on some of the indoor kart arena ones I accelerated better) even though I reduced top speed but, even when not adding ballast, they did get away better...but then I normally got those places and more back on the first corners so not a big deal

Its done.

Got gold, instantly went and done the series for the overall gold. Enzo as prize for getting all stars. Meh

Do fell a sense of achievement ? no not really. I do like a challenge but this was just stupid. More a case of running the numbers and getting lucky. But anyways job done never will i depress the accelerator pedal of a kart again, unless forced to.

Now for the Goodwood in the ultimate troll car that is the redbull.

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO :D :gtpflag: :) !!!!!!!!!!!! Finally golded this one after a million tries (with DS3) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, in my opinion there are 3 key settings, in order to win the last IA kart race:

1. First of all, if you're using CSS -2 or 0: Forget it !!! I was playing with CSS -2 all the time because I was afraid to spin (especially in the corners) but then I noticed that you are too slow to get around the corners. So put CSS to 7 !

2. I tried different settings with ballast, also those which were posted here but none of them worked for me. Long story short: Just use the default settings (0 kg; 0), in order to have maximum power, and (it may sound obvious but as many users here said already) accelerate very gentle, then everything is fine !

3. But the most important key to victory for me was to increase the top speed to 200 km/h !!! I struggled the whole time because I set the top speed very low (120-140 km/h) like many other users, in order to accelerate faster, but this was wrong ! I noticed that when I set the top speed to the maximum (220 km/h) I accelerate indeed slower but this 1. gave me more stability (especially in the corners) and 2. gave me a higher speed in general, in order to catch the karts in front of me ! So after playing around with the top speed, I noticed that 200 km/h was perfect for me and after a few tries, I managed to gold this one finally !

Hope this helps !

Its done.

Got gold, instantly went and done the series for the overall gold. Enzo as prize for getting all stars. Meh

Do fell a sense of achievement ? no not really. I do like a challenge but this was just stupid. More a case of running the numbers and getting lucky. But anyways job done never will i depress the accelerator pedal of a kart again, unless forced to.

Congrats on winning. 👍

I did the X2011 race at Goodwood. Oh man it's bad. First ~10 tries I drove off the track. Then I completed 75% of the track and screwed up. Then, I finally completed it with about a second to spare. Phew!

Its done.

My whole issue with the kart races, especially the shifter races, was the proportion ratio of time & effort with the Shifter Kart races compared to all the other races in GT6. The same is true for the Red Bull X Challenge & the Goodwood Red Bull Challenge! PD should make them a fun auxiliary instead of time consuming frustration that the average joe can't achieve.

I've just got the last iA race to do in the shifters. Got silver and need half a second. I've got loads better and will get gold soon.

I started with 8kg at the back and have been reducing weight gradually and think that i get a quicker turn in with less weight but have to adjust my throttle control to not oversteer.

I think these are frustrating but i can feel improvement in my driving for me these are possibly the most important event to do after goodwood 5-3.

Congrats to all those who have managed it. As for the Red Bull @ Goodwood, it is a piece of cake compared to the shifters....it took me only 10 minutes to gold the RB on my second completed run
Really? Maybe you can coach me through that one as well? I also need to get a gold on mission race s-5. But this is not the right forum for that now.

Back