Karting Thread

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 1,546 comments
United Kingdom
Warwick Uni
lbsf1 GTP_lbsf1
obsmu (my brothers acount)
This thread is for people to talk about everything kart racing.
From maintenence to setups to race talk.
(This thread is not for talking about arrive and drive karting this is for proper kart racing)

Last edited:
So I can't post in this thread since I don't have the funds(or desire really) to do more than "arrive and drive"?. The places I go to have actual races(they even hold a 12-hour endurance race). I think that classifies as real "proper" racing.

This is the place I go.

You may want to expand it to karting in general or you won't get much activity.

(This thread is not for talking about arrive and drive karting this is for proper kart racing)

I've given karting a serious thought lately along with autocross as a way of trying out 'real' motorsport. Arrive and drive karting exists at my local track and I intend to check it out before I delve into the sport (good thread, but perhaps you could "edit" and allow some newbie action in?) Btw, what displacement motor are you running in your kart?

Ok thread is now general karting and now includes arrive and drive.

If any of you live in the uk and want to give real karting a go then go to this website http://www.letsgokarting.net/ this is arrive and drive but with real racing karts.

justin arrive and drive like that and karting in proper race karts are in my mind quite different. If you have never driven a race kart (rotax, tkm) then arrive and drive is pretty good racing however once you do (proper) karting then you will see they are quite different.

red7. My rotax is a 125cc 2 stroke

happy posting
Luke

Last edited:
I bought a kart a few months ago and have just started racing. Here's a couple of photos from last weekend which was my 2nd race meeting:

23490_385504989282_673509282_4874807_5745156_n.jpg

23490_385505014282_673509282_4874810_4288554_n.jpg

23490_385505019282_673509282_4874811_2610045_n.jpg

^ Nice pictures! Hope your karting career starts off better then mine. :)

Here are a few images of my kart. It's a CRG Kalifornia, with a 125cc leopard engine. I'm currently racing in the restricted class... with 'P' plates and hard compound tires, so hopefully that will all change in less then a years time.
I've owned the kart for about 10 months now, but have only managed to attend 3 meetings so far, and two practice sessions. I'm currently taking my second long break from racing, because I've cracked one of my left ribs... a second time! So I really cannot go back out there until it has fully healed.
The injuries occur simply from driving around right hand corners. I might need some extra padding on my seat. 💡

Anyway... racing has been extremely fun. I still have many many things to learn, such as the kart setup, engine maintenance, etc.

Last edited:
Let it be known that I hate all of you. :P

I have wanted to do "proper" karting since I was young, and I couldn't because we are 1.5 hours from the local track and nobody was going to A) buy me a kart, and B) Drive me there.

Probably the top of my list of hobbys when I get enough money, and I really really hope I can take it up in the future. 👍

I love karting as well... I just dont have enough time or money to buy my own kart and maintain it. Been on "normal" karts and have also driven 125cc Rotax karts as well.... Proper karts are so much cooler... the amount of power available is just CRAZY.... Driving the proper kart, I was on the track by myself and I still managed to 360 it into the wall by the first turn after a long straight (luckily no damage)... That was the first time I drove it, I wasnt expecting so much power... top speed was about 140 KPH on it, but I dont think I reached those speeds on the track I was on, which was outside and relatively short... but it was still loads of fun once I got the hang of the kart... 👍 Definitely recommend that anyone who hasnt tried the "proper" karts and loves karting... Go find a way to drive one... Its really THAT much better... :D

That sodi kart looks like the f1 of hire karts. 6.5 bhp could be quite a bit of fun.
thats the closest you will get to racing karts without buying one.

Tell us how you do.

Jaco and Blake nice photos.
Jaco how do those leopards compare to the rotax's. They look abit like kf engines in britain.

Jaco how do those leopards compare to the rotax's. They look abit like kf engines in britain.
That's a pretty tricky question. One I don't know the answer to, since I haven't driven a Rotax. I think though the Leopard engines have slightly slower acceleration... but slightly higher top speeds.

I have wanted to do "proper" karting since I was young, and I couldn't because we are 1.5 hours from the local track and nobody was going to A) buy me a kart, and B) Drive me there.
I was in the exact same boat as you. Since I was a wee lad, my parents kept promising me they would get me into karting. Never happened though... no matter how many times they guaranteed it. Many many years later, I bought a kart as soon as I got a first proper job. So don't worry, you can do it someday. Just practice on Gran Turismo until then... it actually helps :).

jaco

in your pictures it shows a rotax (NUMBER 16) and another leopard in front of that. Where the rotax's overtaking the leopards or the other way around or were they comparable in lap times

I've been karting since 1988. Started in sit-up sprints with 17hp Yamaha KT100S, then a series of self-built karts for road course racing with 350RZ Yamaha motors. I've been up 155+ mph. Currently I'm running a 20hp Honda CR80 in an Emmick chassis, which will do a little over 110mph.

This weekend we're going to Tamworth which will be my 3rd race meeting - that means I just have to do 1 meeting as a flag marshal and then I'll be off my P plates. It will be nice to start from somewhere which isn't the back of the grid. ;)

I'm currently taking my second long break from racing, because I've cracked one of my left ribs... a second time! So I really cannot go back out there until it has fully healed.

The injuries occur simply from driving around right hand corners. I might need some extra padding on my seat. 💡

Jesus Christ... are you wearing a rib vest? :confused: I've got a sore rib from a practice session a few weeks ago but nothing near cracking!

Also I'm racing the TaG Restricted too, pity you're on the other side of the country else we could race. :P

in your pictures it shows a rotax (NUMBER 16) and another leopard in front of that. Where the rotax's overtaking the leopards or the other way around or were they comparable in lap times

In the TaG Restricted class each engine-type has a particular restrictor to try and keep the lap times comparable. I'm not sure which engines are 'better' in the restricted class but at my local track Rotax and Leopard are both popular.

I've been karting since 1988. Started in sit-up sprints with 17hp Yamaha KT100S, then a series of self-built karts for road course racing with 350RZ Yamaha motors. I've been up 155+ mph. Currently I'm running a 20hp Honda CR80 in an Emmick chassis, which will do a little over 110mph.

:eek: :eek: :scared:

I guess those are gearbox karts then. Crikey that is fast. My rotax produces about 20bhp but with only one gear it tops out at around 65mph.
155mph with your ass 1 inch off the ground.

80yc2c do you live in the uk. If so then i know a way you can drive a proper racing kart cheaply

I guess those are gearbox karts then. Crikey that is fast. My rotax produces about 20bhp but with only one gear it tops out at around 65mph.

Yeah, they're gearbox karts, and are also of the "laydown" chassis design, which greatly reduces frontal area and coefficient of drag. Elapsed time around a sports car track is mind-boggling quick, as many of the corners you don't slow down for.

Jesus Christ... are you wearing a rib vest? :confused: I've got a sore rib from a practice session a few weeks ago but nothing near cracking!

Hrm, maybe I spoke too soon. After this weekend I've got a rib which is REALLY tender. It's really painful to do a lot of movements, I'm not sure if it is cracked or if it is just some bad bruising but damn... :indiff:

I might throw up some photos from the weekend shortly.

80yc2c do you live in the uk. If so then i know a way you can drive a proper racing kart cheaply

No, I live in Sydney, Australia, and I know how to do proper karting on the cheap here too - but good luck talking someone into spending 1.5 hours in a car taking me there and back.

When I get an income, its one of the top things on my list.

And the really infuriating thing is dad asks me how we can get money out of my (supposive) racing ability. I'm like FFFFUUUUUUUUU!!!

Yeah, they're gearbox karts, and are also of the "laydown" chassis design, which greatly reduces frontal area and coefficient of drag. Elapsed time around a sports car track is mind-boggling quick, as many of the corners you don't slow down for.

I've seen photos of those things. They look insane, I'd love to drive one of them. I don't think they have any laydown classes in Australia though.

Here's a couple of photos from the weekend:

25839_395715224282_673509282_4905295_3600819_n.jpg

25839_395723434282_673509282_4905299_6147859_n.jpg

25839_395723479282_673509282_4905302_396914_n.jpg

25839_395723509282_673509282_4905304_2420473_n.jpg

No, I live in Sydney, Australia, and I know how to do proper karting on the cheap here too - but good luck talking someone into spending 1.5 hours in a car taking me there and back.

When I get an income, its one of the top things on my list.

And the really infuriating thing is dad asks me how we can get money out of my (supposive) racing ability. I'm like FFFFUUUUUUUUU!!!

Are you old enough to get a paperound in Australia. I have earn £1200 a year for mine. If you can get one on similar pay then you could buy your karting stuff and bribe/plead someone to take you there with the rest.

That might be a good way to get money for karting if you are prepared to get up at 6am and are decent at riding a bike fast.

edit: blake your kart looks pretty class and alot cleaner than ours (lol)

Nice thread we have here :). Did a bit of karting last year myself. Yamaha KT100 Club Class so nothing too serious and expensive :lol:. Will most likely give it up soon to see how I stack up in circuit racing though :( :D :confused: :D

After this weekend I've got a rib which is REALLY tender. It's really painful to do a lot of movements, I'm not sure if it is cracked or if it is just some bad bruising but damn... :indiff:

I went to the doctors for the exact same reason earlier this year! The pain didn't go away after a few weeks so I thought it was a good idea to pay the doc a visit.

They said it was very unlikely to be a cracked rib because apparently the moment you crack it you have to be in excruciating pain :boggled:. It did hurt quite a bit when I thought I'd done something to it (ran over a kerb quite hard) so...:rolleyes:

Hopefully it's all well now and you didn't need to go. Otherwise if you're like me and try not to visit a clinic or medical centre for as long as possible, you can go there armed with a long list of questions to get your $$$'s worth :lol:

I was doing "arrive and drive" at Llandow earlier in the week. Anyone been there?

My friend who's got a few junior titles under his belt took us down. We had nearly an hour on track in wet, to heavy rain to greasy-drying track conditions. Lots of fun!

I was doing "arrive and drive" at Llandow earlier in the week. Anyone been there?

My friend who's got a few junior titles under his belt took us down. We had nearly an hour on track in wet, to heavy rain to greasy-drying track conditions. Lots of fun!

Fun! You guys over in that part of the world are really lucky in terms of arrive and drive karting facilities :lol:. The ones we have here in New Zealand are pretty average. 90% indoor with averagely maintained karts.

Being GTP members I assume most of us have seen the karts they used for GT Academy? :eek:

And they kept on making contact with each other in them :lol:

Last edited:

My friend who's got a few junior titles under his beltrtook us down. We had nearly an hour on track in wet, to heavy rain to greasy-drying track conditions. Lots of fun!

Never been there however have heard of it.
When it was wet did they have wet tyres on or was i slicks?

Never been there however have heard of it.
When it was wet did they have wet tyres on or was i slicks?
Slicks. The karts were average at best for arrive-and-drive but one did have a considerable power advantage on the rest and was more difficult in the wet.

The others weren't so bad in the wet, but if you locked up going into a bend you'd struggle to gain grip and brake again in time for the corner. Back ends were quite tight. The spray was the worst thing.

My friend also said he might bring his geared kart down next time if his dad isn't working (only his dad is licenced for the tow car).

Latest Posts

Back