Karting Thread

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 1,546 comments
I enjoy karting alot for things like parties etc although ive been wondering. What is the best entry level championship with hopes to advance in the level of racing? I just want to know whether im good enough to make a job out of this (because like all men i think im the best driver in the world :lol: )

So the bottom line is i want to get into karting seriously and am more than prepaired to put the money in its just where do i start?

Last edited:
I finally got around to putting up some onboard footage from Grafton. Managed to capture a crash and a silly slide from me in this session. Enjoy:

You may be interested to know I won a kart race yesterday. It was at Bremerton, Washington, USA.

Congrats. I like that lay-down style, it looks like great fun. Have you got any photos?

Those are some real awesome onboard footage videos, Blake. I love the look of the elevation changes on that track, too. Looks like a real fast flowing, unforgiving circuit.

That crash towards the beginning looked a bit scary for the guy in the blue race suit. He was lucky he didn’t fall out of his seat completely.

I’m preparing to make a return to Karting this week. My bones surely have had enough time to recover :). So yep... Hopefully I can get down to the track after work this week for a practice session. My Kart is currently at the kart shop getting the starter motor replaced, and the acceleration adjusted (sticky throttle is annoying and a bit dangerous).

Blake, let us know how the helmet turns out when/if you go ahead with it. I’m interested to see how it turns out, as I’m looking to get my plain white helmet painted this year.
Nice design, btw. 👍

Congrats. I like that lay-down style, it looks like great fun. Have you got any photos?

I do have some really nice photos. Perhaps it's my obsolete dial-up connection, or my obsolete brain, but I seem unable to upload them to this site. I can exchange emails with anyone via PM and send them that way, or maybe some kind soul could direct me to a description of how to upload with an old-fashioned connection.

Thanks,
Dotini

I didn’t read your previous post. Congrats on winning the Kart :cheers:.

You could try uploading your photos through imageshack, and then post the thumbnail links back in this thread. Not sure how it will go against dial-up. There seems to be a lot more advertising at that site then there was 4 years ago.👎

http://imageshack.us/

I enjoy karting alot for things like parties etc although ive been wondering. What is the best entry level championship with hopes to advance in the level of racing? I just want to know whether im good enough to make a job out of this (because like all men i think im the best driver in the world :lol: )

So the bottom line is i want to get into karting seriously and am more than prepaired to put the money in its just where do i start?

Yes you would be fast enough by the way some people drive then if you have any hint of skill then you would be fine.
In lincolnshire you live near the biggest karting curcuit in the uk Pf International.
However I wouldn't sugest going there first however I would suggest going somewhere else like Fulbeck (Which is incedently right next to pfi)

Go there and look what classes are run. You are most probably looking at Rotax, Tkm or maybe Formula Blue.
Rotax is raced all over the country however is probably the most expensive of the 3, with entry level stuff about £1200-1500.
Tkm is raced lots up north however has smaller grids down south and is cheaper than rotax.
formula blue is raced only up north and not down south and is about the same price as tkm.

If you are intrested in buying the kart then look on karting.co.uk market place

if you need parts then look on kartstore.co.uk or spellfame.co.uk

good luck
hope you do well on your quest to start karting. If you need any more help just ask or go on the karting.co.uk forums, people there know alot more than me.

Thanks.
btw is there a licence i need before racing? (i read about it somewhere) and how do i go about getting one?
Also i used to go to blackbush quite alot to watch kart racing as i used to live in Surrey i used rc cars on it when the track was closed naughty i know. I have loads of memories from blackbush including almost being killed by a plane.
Do they ever do speed runs on the abandoned runway beside the track?

Thanks.
btw is there a licence i need before racing? (i read about it somewhere) and how do i go about getting one?
Also i used to go to blackbush quite alot to watch kart racing as i used to live in Surrey i used rc cars on it when the track was closed naughty i know. I have loads of memories from blackbush including almost being killed by a plane.
Do they ever do speed runs on the abandoned runway beside the track?

yep you need a licence to race msa racing (MSA = offical racing body) however you can race non msa without one. However you should practise for about 6 months before racing so you know how to use your kart and how to be fast.

I don't think there is an abandoned runway anymore. ( If there is I havent seen it) Where do you mean near the airport or round back of the track, see if you can find it on google earth

yep you need a licence to race msa racing (MSA = offical racing body) however you can race non msa without one. However you should practise for about 6 months before racing so you know how to use your kart and how to be fast.

I don't think there is an abandoned runway anymore. ( If there is I havent seen it) Where do you mean near the airport or round back of the track, see if you can find it on google earth
The abandoned runway is the main entery point for cars i think.
btw I also cycled the blackbush track.

Has anyone moved up from karting into low level formulas, ginneta etc? if so whats your story because thats part of the reason i want to try karting (the other being karting is the most fun thing in the world) as i beleive everyone gets one shot at glory in their life but most people pass it up saying it will never work and if that fails i will have had fun anyway.

Im looking for advice mainly on how to start official racing as i would like to attract some sponsers to try and ease the cost of it.

The abandoned runway is the main entery point for cars i think.
btw I also cycled the blackbush track.

Has anyone moved up from karting into low level formulas, ginneta etc? if so whats your story because thats part of the reason i want to try karting (the other being karting is the most fun thing in the world) as i beleive everyone gets one shot at glory in their life but most people pass it up saying it will never work and if that fails i will have had fun anyway.

Im looking for advice mainly on how to start official racing as i would like to attract some sponsers to try and ease the cost of it.

Ah I get where you mean now and no they don't do drag racing there any more.

Lots of people move up and do well and get a career out of karting however also many don't. You may have the gift you may not if you get what I mean. Don't expect to win your first race and don't rush into thinks. All top karting drivers have been doing it for years.

First I would buy some decent secondhand stuff, by what you are saying I would suggest rotax. So spend around 1500-2000 quid. Then go to your local club and Practise don't jump into racing, Do that for about 6months at least. Then order a start karting pack from the msa. Now book an arks test this is the test to get your licence. All the info for this will be in the pack. Once you have your licence you have to race for 5 races as a starting from the back in each heat and at he end of the day getting a signature from the clerk of the course each time to show you have driven safely. After this you can get a full licence. By the way unless you have very good contacts you will never get sponsorship untill you have at least won a couple or races. So remember take you time you won't go from zero to lewis hamilton in no time at all.

I race too, Mainly at ipswich in queensland, however my leg is broken at the moment after a slippery slide accident! So i havent driven in a while. Ive got a tonykart chassis and race in restricted rotax. Heres a helmet vid from some practice at toowoomba.

Tell me what you think.

Ah I get where you mean now and no they don't do drag racing there any more.

Lots of people move up and do well and get a career out of karting however also many don't. You may have the gift you may not if you get what I mean. Don't expect to win your first race and don't rush into thinks. All top karting drivers have been doing it for years.

First I would buy some decent secondhand stuff, by what you are saying I would suggest rotax. So spend around 1500-2000 quid. Then go to your local club and Practise don't jump into racing, Do that for about 6months at least. Then order a start karting pack from the msa. Now book an arks test this is the test to get your licence. All the info for this will be in the pack. Once you have your licence you have to race for 5 races as a starting from the back in each heat and at he end of the day getting a signature from the clerk of the course each time to show you have driven safely. After this you can get a full licence. By the way unless you have very good contacts you will never get sponsorship untill you have at least won a couple or races. So remember take you time you won't go from zero to lewis hamilton in no time at all.

I do understand that its just I know nothing about karting.

btw it says your a student so how do you afford karting without spending your weekends working?

also do i require to book a track to practise or do i just turn up and pay a fee. And does serious racing involve alot of traviling because i havent got a car yet.

Last edited:
I do understand that its just I know nothing about karting.

btw it says your a student so how do you afford karting without spending your weekends working?

also do i require to book a track to practise or do i just turn up and pay a fee. And does serious racing involve alot of traviling because i havent got a car yet.

I don't pay for all of it my dad pays some I pay some with my paperround wages. Once you have your kart you can just turn up to practises days. It's around 3o quid for the day. If you were going to race seriously then yes it would involve traveling at least hAlf the country. However if you did race seriously you would need someone to kelp/mechanic. These are all bridges that you should only worry about if or when you come to them.

Sorry about dodgy typing I'm on my itouch.

the mechanical side of things shouldn't be a problem i got a level 1 mechanics qualification. And my dad would be an alright manager sorta guy he used to negotiate contracts for the NHS.
Now to convince someone to let me hook the trailer to their car.
btw do i need to be a member of the club who owns the track to practice there?

And sorry for all these questions.

Last edited:
We raced a Port Macquarie this weekend. Was my first time there.

We turned up on Friday afternoon and I fitted my new radiator (I patched the old one up but the repair job didn't last too long, lol). The kart was ready in time for the last practice session of the day and I went out to do a few laps, on my 4th lap a rear wheel came loose so I came in.

Racing started Saturday and I barely knew the track, so it wasn't ideal. I checked the grids and I'd drawn pole for the first heat, 5th for the second heat, and 9th (last) for the final heat, so that wasn't really the best order for me. :P

First heat I fell to 3rd through the first corner. Into turn 2 the guy in 2nd spun and I went wide to try and avoid him but I spun on the marbles and DNF'd.

In the second heat I maintained 5th for a while and then moved up to 3rd. I had a battle with the guy in 4th for a while and he got past me in the second last lap. In the last lap I tried to pass him but couldn't quite get it done and I lost all my momentum onto the straight and fell back to 6th.

In the 3rd heat I started last and everybody accelerated really early for the start and I missed it and lost lots of time. I ended up catching the field and finishing 7th, but it wasn't great.

So Saturday was pretty much a write off. On Sunday I checked the grid order and my wonderful performances meant I was starting last for the pre-final. :rolleyes:

Kart felt really good in the warm-up session and it also felt good in the pre-final. I went from 9th to 4th and was catching the leaders before the race ended.

In the final I started 4th and fell back to 5th through the first turn. I ended up having a really good battle with 2 people for 3rd, and by about lap 5 I'd secured the position and could make a gap to the guys behind. I was about the same pace as the leaders but couldn't catch up to them, but still finishing 3rd was a pretty good result since the field was really competitive.

Only problem was that it was "all points count", so my dismal Saturday meant I didn't get any sort of result for the weekend. Still, I'm pretty satisfied and looking forward to this weekend, which is a pretty big meeting at my local track.

I race karts in Australia too, heres the only picture ive got :).

IMGP7569.jpg

Any australians that race in NSW? :)

Ok 2 more things and i shut up.
1. Would there be anybody i could sit down and chat about starting karting?(from a club maybe?)
2. Can someone post an onboard vid of blackbush i want to see what its like in a kart.

To answer your questions.
1. You could go to fulbeck on a practise day. People there would be happy to talk to you about karting. Also if you have a specific question you can ask on karting.co.uk forums.
About vids from blackbushe.
Here is on of me.

here is an onboard on a rotax max

And here is an onboard of fulbeck

There are lots more on youtube. Enjoy :D

I'm going racing this saturday at blackbushe. This is my last novice race finnaly.

Ok 2 more things and i shut up.
1. Would there be anybody i could sit down and chat about starting karting?(from a club maybe?)
2. Can someone post an onboard vid of blackbush i want to see what its like in a kart.

1. If you want to ask anything or talk bout it, you can add my email or send me a PM, id be happy to talk to anyone about starting up or just talking about it. :)

Yup. :)

From the pic I'm guessing you race in TaG-R? Are you racing at the TaG Super Series round at Newcastle this weekend?

Nope :(

Loss of drivers licence has held me back for the last two months.. got a month to go before i can get out there again.

what about yourself?

Ah that sucks.

I'm racing at Newy this weekend in TaG-R Heavy, hopefully will see you out there when you get your license back.

Ill be going mostly to eastern creek and wollongong in tag-r light this year, and the final round of the tag ss is at wollongong so in about a months time ill be at those tracks or testing at newy.

just say hello if you ever see me :). number 97 crg/white-black helmet.

I'll keep an eye out for you. :)

They're going to be running TAG-R as a support class for CIK at Eastern Creek in June - are you going to be able to race then?

I'll keep an eye out for you. :)

They're going to be running TAG-R as a support class for CIK at Eastern Creek in June - are you going to be able to race then?

If im right, it will be tag-r medium? meaning in between light and heavy.. i saw that on the nskc site and am trying to organise transport to get there, if i do, i guess ill be racing ya :P

I think they're running light, heavy, and superheavy together. I hate running 3 classes together, so pointless. I'm sure we could get a big enough field at pro weight (170kg)... ah well.

In any case, we'll be racing together, just maybe not the same class.

👍 :D

I wonder what tracks and types of karts they'll have..
and whether they'll have karts flipping as well!

Well if you flip your kart then it would definatley be the end of the race, that would solve that argument they had on the gt5 forum. (lol)

Went 8 hours north to Lismore this weekend, was off the pace out of the really tight hairpin (think the carby isn't tuned right) but I was quick everywhere else and against a bunch of quick locals I managed to finish 2nd.

It's my first trophy at a decent sized meet so I'm pretty happy, but disappointed that we weren't as quick as I'd like. We're going to do some work playing with the jetting before the next race so hopefully that helps.

Back