Karting Thread

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 1,546 comments
Here are the pictures I wanted to add:

2011Spring213.jpg

2011Spring214.jpg

And this was at the new track with their rental karts:
DKCOpeningDay2011052803.jpg

@gogatrs, My grandpa lives in Florida.... lol. But he's probably a lot older than who you're talking about. Having the G25, it makes racing in GT5 so much more enjoyable for me. Then again, having the helmet cam to watch my antics is aways enjoyable as well... haha. Choices, choices.

And I've never done anything but club races... so I can't help you with that decision, but good luck!

gogatrs
@ckelly, It's funny that you're username is that. I know someone with the exact same first initial/last name as you...
'cept, they live in Florida, not Texas.

I want a helmet cam soooooooo bad.
A little bit outside a fourteen year old's budget lol.
I'm trying to decide whether I should save my money for a helmet cam, or a G27...

Next club race is this weekend!

Something I want to ask you guys, would it be wise of me to hop in a regional race after only two weekends of club races?
One in the rain, one in the (well, I don't know yet cause it's this weekend ;))
I'm in the Northeast for the USRMC and I'm in the Junior class.
Is it too competitive? Or should I give it a shot?

Just go for it man, even if your not running up front it's still good to get the experience. I did my first club day after I only drove my kart twice, and I did my first regional after 2 club days, and I didn't feel out of my depth too much

magic_town
Just go for it man, even if your not running up front it's still good to get the experience. I did my first club day after I only drove my kart twice, and I did my first regional after 2 club days, and I didn't feel out of my depth too much

OK, I'm going to do it. :)
I came in second in the club race last weekend.
I beat one of the regional guys and was a couple tenths off of the leader per lap.
The leader is also a regional guy.
He's this little italian kid and has a ridiculous amount of sponsors.
He had one of the best tuners in the business working for him, and I had a bad, and my set up wasn't all that great, so this weekend is looking pretty good...

Good news!
It's supposed to rain this weekend! :)
30% chance on Saturday and 60% chance on Sunday as of right now.
I'm expecting to see some of my buddies from indoor karting here this weekend too.
I'm pretty pumped.
I can't stop thinking about it.
No making the last two weeks of school go buy any faster. :(

A video from my last practice day out in the Rotax. I've been karting since 7 years old but never raced, just practice days.

Set a new PB on the day on tyres that are 2 complete days old. Although the track had been widened with concrete strips the entire way round so I used ALL the road and went basically 1 second faster.

228086_1759284787518_1400971720_31642610_7749402_n.jpg

223324_1759289107626_1400971720_31642639_669880_n.jpg

227235_1759289347632_1400971720_31642641_6511579_n.jpg

Nice pics guys. I emailed the guy who takes pic at my local track and he said he will send my some pics of me once his internet is back up at his house.

Good luck in the regionals Gogatrs.

lbsf1
Nice pics guys. I emailed the guy who takes pic at my local track and he said he will send my some pics of me once his internet is back up at his house.

Good luck in the regionals Gogatrs.

Thanks!
We're up to 60% chance of rain on Sunday (but they're t-storms :/), and 50% on Saturday. :)
Yeah Buddy!

lbsf1
What does that mean???? How is it going??

Not exactly good.
It was a learning experience for sure.
That's what the first season's all about, right?

So we got there Friday, it was dry, so we could work on our set up. That was all great.
We learned that we had six too many teeth on the gear, which improved my best laptime by eight tenths.
The problem is, that with that eight extra tenths, I would have won the club race last weekend easily. :( (against the little Italian kid, IDK if I've mentioned him before)
So Saturday it was raining. Which meant we had to change the gear back to an eighty instead of a seventy four. During practice, I got into some good battles with the past champions and the Canadian national champion. I got into some good battles with them and came out on top that is.
We qualified, which didn't go so well, I couldn't get out of the traffic for a flying lap and qualified 9th out 15.
During the prefinal, I had battery issues, apparently youre supposed to charge it every night, not every weekend. I could only get up to 11,000 rpms at the most. Since it continued to get worse and worse, I came in early as I wasn't sure what the issue was.
Ended up finishing, no not finishing, ending in 12th since a couple other guys and girls (yes girls) didn't finish/start.
So come the final, it's still raining.
On the first corner, not lap, I made up five positions. 👍
And another in the next turn.
But in the next turn, some idiot stuck his nose in a corner that was rightfully mine, we touched tires and I went into the barriers backwards at thirty mph. :ouch: While he escapes unharmed I might add.
I ended up finishing twelfth. :(

So there was another race on Sunday. It was still raining.
I qualified fourth, not too bad, but I could've done better.
This is where it gets even worse.
So we're gridded up for the pre final, it had stopped raining for a little but and now was misting. When the Mini's came in, their rain tires were smoking. So all but me and two other guys threw slicks on since they could make the quick change with a gun, which, we didn't have.
It never started raining again. :(
So I decided to make the officials let me make a tire change. Which means, I had to make the tires wear to a point where they're unsafe, therefore, I had a drift session. :dopey:
It was great fun, but I still finished 11th. :/
So, the final arrived, it never started raining again, so we brought the front track back in, the rear back out, and put slicks on.
So in the first turn, I gained three positions. Then got stuck behind a train of three guys, which I was never able to get past.
So I finished eight. :yuck:
My best lap time was three hundredths off that of the leader.
But what REALLY ticked me off was the fact that my dad reminded me that we never changed back the 🤬 gear!!!!!!!
I would have WON my second regional race in my rookie season with only three weekends on this track, with guys that have years of experience, in one of the most competitive regions in the world.
A kid from Italy and a kid from Canada moved here just to compete in this series for ****s sake!
And me, the rookie of the middle class, with half as much money, and a quarter of the experience would have beat them all.
🤬!!!!
It's amazing what six teeth on a gear can do for you.

So, that's racing. :(
Suck it up, move on.
I'm here to learn this year, and learn I did, to ALWAYS check your gears.

I'm just mad that I have to wait another four months until I can try again. :S

Ah well, get 'em next race, right?

^ that sucks. O well that happens a lot, you go a lot better the first time than you expected, then your expectations are too high. It will all smooth out though, experience is the main thing you need.
Your in America right? What sort of kart do you run? As in chassis, engine, 2/4 stroke. In australia apparently were a bit behind on everyone else, a big part of our scene is still push start air cooled 2 strokes

magic_town
^ that sucks. O well that happens a lot, you go a lot better the first time than you expected, then your expectations are too high. It will all smooth out though, experience is the main thing you need.
Your in America right? What sort of kart do you run? As in chassis, engine, 2/4 stroke. In australia apparently were a bit behind on everyone else, a big part of our scene is still push start air cooled 2 strokes

It's just that I feel I could've won.
When the kid's dad that did win heard what times I was running with the wrong gear, his jaw dropped.
My anger towards the overagressiveness (thats a big word) of the other drivers wears away pretty quickly. Just because I know there's nothing I can do to stop that.
But having the wrong gear, that's my fault.

I REALLY wanted to be the newbie with no money that comes in and kicks ass his first race. Since it's going to be August next time I race with them together, I'm no longer going to be that newbie.

What's done is done, that's racing.
By after that's done, I've convinced myself I would've been on the podium, and that's what's killing me.

I just hope that it'll all come with experience. You can be sure, I'll never, ever forget to change my gear again. :lol:

As for what kart I'm in...
I'm in a CRG BlackStar/Rotax Junior Max.
If you're not familiar it's 125 CC, 20.4 ponies.
The only thing we push start here in the US is the shifter karts.
Man, those things sound NASTY.
The standing starts with those are insane.
Half of the grid lifts the front wheels off the ground. lol

gogatrs
As for what kart I'm in...
I'm in a CRG BlackStar/Rotax Junior Max.
If you're not familiar it's 125 CC, 20.4 ponies.
The only thing we push start here in the US is the shifter karts.
Man, those things sound NASTY.
The standing starts with those are insane.
Half of the grid lifts the front wheels off the ground. lol

Yeh we have junior max here too. I'm waiting till I get to b grade before I run a 125, because otherwise you have to have a restrictor in it. I run clubman which is a yamaha 100s, with about 16-17 hp. I'm senior though btw

magic_town
Yeh we have junior max here too. I'm waiting till I get to b grade before I run a 125, because otherwise you have to have a restrictor in it. I run clubman which is a yamaha 100s, with about 16-17 hp. I'm senior though btw

Senior?
Are you in masters?
If you don't mind me asking that is. :dopey:

I used to run in that class only here we call it junior max. Now Im in senior max and KZ2. And you are right, they are absolute animals fastest thing I have ever driven period. Even compared to Formula Ford and Fornula First (not sure if you guys have that).

Yeah the quickest thing you learn about in motorsport is murphys law. That is, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. The most important thing to do is not let it get to you. Personally I bitch at my dad and my mates at the track about a particular driver (you learn that some people really have no idea) and that helps me a lot. Also, don't be afraid to give it back to them if they get aggressive with you. If the stewards see you, chances are they see them too, and will often let it slide (at least in my experience).

Dont particularly fancy the karting physics on GT5.
This is a much better sim, although you have to have a semi-good computer to run it well, and a wheel for it to be accurate.
Quite fun especially if you buy the licence and get KZ2. Not quite as crazy as real life but the setups are pretty accurate.

Dont particularly fancy the karting physics on GT5.
This is a much better sim, although you have to have a semi-good computer to run it well, and a wheel for it to be accurate.
Quite fun especially if you buy the licence and get KZ2. Not quite as crazy as real life but the setups are pretty accurate.

I downloaded the demo, however even though my computer can play other games at high quality without problem it can't even run this one at low quality without having HUGE frame drop.

From what I have heard however it is a very good game.

And to second that about the gt5 karts, their handling is awefull, any oversteer and you spin, no understeer, no throtle feel and no good tracks.

Gonna have to agree with you guys on the terrible physics, I'm not even a big fan of the rFactor mod, even though I've read that my home track is a WIP. :)
Is that game Mac-friendly?
May have to try it out...
The karting on GT5 CAN be extremely fun.
Especially when you meet a good group of guys online.

I absolutely HATE the ridiculous draft though. :/

lbsf1
I downloaded the demo, however even though my computer can play other games at high quality without problem it can't even run this one at low quality without having HUGE frame drop.

From what I have heard however it is a very good game.

And to second that about the gt5 karts, their handling is awefull, any oversteer and you spin, no understeer, no throtle feel and no good tracks.

I'm only playing on an hp probook 6550b and if I turn off the shadows and grass and all that unnecessary stuff then it runs ok. Pretty bad framerate though. Important thing to remember is to assign a button for front brake.

The problem with gt5 and rfactor us they can't accurately code the chassis flex, so they try and do it with some modified physics. KRP do this too but I think they also have something that may model it to a degree. As there is the ability to change front and rear bars and the amount of seat stays which means it must be doing something.
The other thing with sims in general is you feel so disconnected from the experience. So much of my feedback for chassis and engine set ups comes from the seat of the pants. We only really use our data logger to back up what I say. (that's another thing I can't recommend enough - buy a micron or an alfano and make good use of Its telemetry system. It tells you so much.) audible signs are also important and the sound of the engines in these games is not realistically reproduced.

Sounds like you're in 1 piece which is good. Being injured sucks, hope your ankle mends up quick.

Hi guys, finally got some time to explain my adventure on Saturday.

The track had been rained on heavily for the week before the race so was very green with little rubber on it. This suited me and my tonykart, because then it isn't all down the the engine (of which ours insn't very good).

Out of the 12 drivers I started 8th in the first heat and made it up to 6th, not to bad.

Second heat I started on pole and managed to finish first aswell, (My first ever heat win). I was struggling down the straight and got taken into the first corner however managed to go all the round the outside of him to retake the lead.

The third heat I started 4th and finished 4th.

This mean I started 3rd for the final.
I got up to second from the start, getting this picture on the end of the first lap. (I'm the guy at the front of this pack)
5874095600_dd0752b311_b.jpg

At the start finish straight the guy behind me rear ended me putting kart sideways (you can kinda see it in the vid bellow even though it froze when he hit me).

He then dived up the inside of me into the second corner, we than both were going round the long left hander, I had the inside racing line however he tapped my kart putting me slightly sideways and I then hit a kerb that pitched the kart up bending the rear axle and throwing me out of the seat onto the sidepod, my foot getting caught in the steering and wrenching my ankle. I according to a mate was very lucky not to roll it, which would have seriously injured me. From hanging off the sidepod I saw a dirt bank coming up really fast, I then in fear managed to graple myself back into the seat and steered away back into the pits.

Here is an onboard vid of the crash, but because of its positioning at the front it doesn't really show how bad the crash was, because most the damage and crashing was at the back.

The chain broke also in the process breaking the radiator.

Luckily no bones were broken in the crash in my foot, I went to the ambulance at the track after the race meeting (our race was right at the end), and they said that I had just spained my ankle and streched the achillies tendon. The pain has since gone down and I can walk on it now quite easily.

But in all not that bad a raceday. ;)

Nice, a karting thread :)

I'm racing with karts myself, not trying to brag, but I'm actually Norwegian Champion (2009) in the Yamaha KT-100 one make class :) Soon driven for 10 years now, and in fact, I will be participating in the 2011 Norwegian Championship Yamaha KT-100 next weekend! I might post my results here too :P

If any other new posters have any questions about karting, like setups, techniques, technical, or in general, I would love to share my (I daresay) expertise :)

lbsf1:
Your story sounds very strange to me :embarrassed: But glad you're okay :)
You bent the rear axle on a kerb? Was this a "soft" axle? After 10 years of karting(the first 6-7 mostly crashing) I can only remember seing the softest axles bend at all from a kerb.. Take this from a guy who clip kerbs beyond insanity on a weekly basis ;P

Last edited:
@lbsf1, that sucks.
Reminds me of at the regional race, some kid touched tires with another and was lucky enough not to flip and did in fact land on the tie rod of the other kid. :crazy:
So know this kid is going 40 or so mph with no steering, and the tie rod bent in a way that caught on to the master cylinder area that wouldn't allow him to brake.

Scary stuff man.

In more pleasant news, my parents have agreed to get me a GoPro as a graduation gift (from middle school).
But before we get it, my dad has given me the task of finding the mount that the WSK guys are using on the front fearing (or however you spell it).
We've compared the pics from the race in New Jersey to the ones on GoPro's website, and they're different.
Do you guys know what mount that is?
I want to put it on the radiator during practice, and the front fearing during the race...
If not, which mounts do you guys use?

Last edited:
The roll bar mount is the same as the WSK guys use (or I think there is a smaller one designed for thinner bars which they possibly use):

gopro-roll-bar-mount.jpg

Just drill 2 holes in the nassau panel put the section the camera mounts to on top and the other part underneath the nassau panel and tighten it all up. Works a treat, used it to get this footage of a mate:

Nice, a karting thread :)

I'm racing with karts myself, not trying to brag, but I'm actually Norwegian Champion (2009) in the Yamaha KT-100 one make class :) Soon driven for 10 years now, and in fact, I will be participating in the 2011 Norwegian Championship Yamaha KT-100 next weekend! I might post my results here too :P

If any other new posters have any questions about karting, like setups, techniques, technical, or in general, I would love to share my (I daresay) expertise :)

lbsf1:
Your story sounds very strange to me :embarrassed: But glad you're okay :)
You bent the rear axle on a kerb? Was this a "soft" axle? After 10 years of karting(the first 6-7 mostly crashing) I can only remember seing the softest axles bend at all from a kerb.. Take this from a guy who clip kerbs beyond insanity on a weekly basis ;P

Welcome to the thread, well done for the Norwegian champs.

And about the kerb, last year they made the kerbs there quite big because otherwise we just took no notice of them ;)

The section there is quite bumpy so when this guy gave me a gentle tap it put me sideways and I hit the bump of the kerb side on. Also once I was up in the air I straight lined the chicane and hit the kerbs opposite (These are also new and massive) that also could have contributed to the catapulting effectm or maybe bent the axle.

Latest Posts

Back