Karting Thread

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 1,546 comments
Since we're all talking Rotax I sold my old kart and engine (03 Rotax) and bought a brand new 2011 Rotax a few weeks ago.

I ran it in last weekend on my friend's chassis and it felt really strong. The bottom end is insane compared to the old engine. Can't wait to see how I go with lap times once I get a proper chassis sorted. :)

We have a TAG enduro coming up in a few weeks. More than 300km, 2 drivers per team. We'll be running the new Rotax on a CRG chassis. Should be lots of fun, although I expect I will be absolutely shagged at the end of it, haha. :lol:

I've been wanting to get into karting for awhile now, between school, work, and other things I don't have large amounts of free time except for most weekends, so what would I need to get into karting? I've driven karts before, but I've never owned one. I know of a few places around me, the closest being about an hours drive away that race karts(real karts) but the best one is over 3 hours away at Mosport, an epic Canadian race track, but 3 hours there and 3 hours back is way to much If I plan on going a lot. I already have a helmet from snowmobile racing and that's it, no Kart, suit or anything else.. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Hey there. How old are you then? Because you can get the Storm by Intrepid with a Rotax JR Motor for about $2,300 usd here in the U.S. Check out Intrepid Kart's website. Mosport would be cool, but I would race close until you run big races at Mosport. Rotax JR age limit is 14-16 yrs old. Then Rotax SR overlaps Rotax JR. Rotax SR has an age limit of 17 yrs on I think.

Here some links for the Intrepid Storm Chassis, and Rotax stuff:

http://www.kartmoreracing.com/storm-karts

http://www.intrepid.it/public/

Thank you, I'll gladly look into those links you posted. Is Rotax a good brand? It seems to be popular with a lot of you GTP karters.

Yes. Are they good Snowmobile motors? I think. But they are extremely dependable, and they are the most internationally used class there is

Guys, I have bought a new race suit. Here's a quick pic of me wearing it.

2dmi993.jpg

The suit is £450 brand new and this one I got for £100 from a guy who was moving to car racing. The suit is like new, not a mark on it. Plus considering I needed a new suit anyway. So I have got a basicly new expensive suit for the price of a new cheap suit.

:D :D As you may guess from this post I'm quite pleased with it.

Cool suit. Check out my website? You inspired me lol

Ahh, yes. I got your message about that, but just been busy the last couple of days so havent been able to sign up yet. Will be doing that now.

Thanks For signing up to mine.

EDIT: Now signed up to your, looking forward to more updates.

Last edited:
Found out a couple weeks ago that I'm going to Daytona for KartWeek (Google it) this December. :D
I'll use my chassis and my team will put a Leopard on it which means I can compete in TaG as well.
So excited. Mainly because there were a couple of IndyCar and NASCAR drivers competing in the same class as the one I'll be competing in last year.

We are the Australian Sprintkart Endurance Champions! :D :D

Videos, photos, and report to come. Feels so good. :)

I have only tried karting a few times (arrive and drive). The last times have been when I have visited the UK, tried both North East Karting south of Newcastle and Raceland just outside of Edinburgh. Both were great experiences.

I really want to get into karting, the financial part is not a problem, but I find it really hard to get into. There are few clubs/tracks in my country, and I don't really have a clue of what to buy.

Hey, I race a Birel AM29 with a Honda 6.5. I belong to the WRKC kart club which is the largest in Canada. The honda is not very fast but it is about keeping your speed up with not momentum loss. The karts are 320lb with driver and 10-11 hp. Last year at Shannonville motorsports park for a regional race we had over 550 entries over the weekend. I've tried a rotax and it was fun around a roval but we can't afford the tires.

fps_christian
I have only tried karting a few times (arrive and drive). The last times have been when I have visited the UK, tried both North East Karting south of Newcastle and Raceland just outside of Edinburgh. Both were great experiences.

I really want to get into karting, the financial part is not a problem, but I find it really hard to get into. There are few clubs/tracks in my country, and I don't really have a clue of what to buy.

If you don't mind me asking, what country are you in?
You can probably rent a trailer which will most likely be cheaper than buying one if you can find a good deal.
You'll need tools at least a ratchet a set of sockets, allen heads, a set of wrenches, as well as an adjustable wrench. At least a helmet, kneckbrace, and gloves. Your local track may let you get away with a pair of jeans and a denim jacket.
Get the biggest container of WD-40 you can find and some shop rags.
Thats basically the essentials.

But before you buy ANYTHING, go to the track you think you'll be racing at the most and look around at what everybody else is bringing/driving. Ask around a bit. See what they have to say.

gogatrs
You can probably rent a trailer which will most likely be cheaper than buying one if you can find a good deal.
You'll need tools at least a ratchet a set of sockets, allen heads, a set of wrenches, as well as an adjustable wrench. At least a helmet, kneckbrace, and gloves. Your local track may let you get away with a pair of jeans and a denim jacket.

But before you buy ANYTHING, go to the track you think you'll be racing at the most and look around at what everybody else is bringing/driving. Ask around a bit. See what they have to say.

Hats what I did. Known people at the track is a huge help. Btw, gates what motor class do you run?

I live in Norway, so not really huge for karting. Regarding the safety equipment, I have been looking at some sites, can get a complete set for a good price. The tools though..I might have some which can be used, if not I can get most of it second hand. I'm already stocked on WD-40 (it's my 2nd favorite tool after gaffa tape).

I'm not really sure about the different classes in Norway, but I will ask a bit around and try to find out if there is some hobby/economy class.

Wasn't one of the guys here national champion of Norway or something like that?
If you really want something that's cheap and extremely laid back, look for a Vintage Karting club. The karts cost a couple hundred dollars as opposed to a couple thousand, and you can really throw them into the back of your pickup truck or similar (literally, they're that light) and go.
Problem is that they're not all that competitive, and if you're looking to go somewhere with racing, that's not going to help.

Rotax is extremely competitive and fun, but extremely expensive. And even more expensive if you want to win.

TaG, is slightly cheaper and you can use it almost anywhere. From what I can remember.

There's more, what you want to do as I said, is do a bit of research. 👍

Latest Posts

Back