Kaz finally listened to this car forums

• Thread starter Meithyk
  • 115 comments
Thanks for sharing the link Johnny, I completely forgot about that article :).

I'm now looking at the photo and see the Alpine A310 and Fiat 131 - now we know what cars may appear in the game unless they are just standing on the shelf as a part of his collection. :P

But given that Polyphony needs to stand nearby actual model to record sound, they probably also do the photo shooting at the same time required for late modeling, which puts utility of toy cars in question. They may be useful if they can't find factory-stock example in real-life to model interior or wheels, though.

The scale models were probably sufficient enough in the days of the PSX and PS2, but now with hi-res detailing and the ability to 3D scan things, the scale models are probably not going to be used any longer unless they can get their hands on the higher detailed die-cast models.

Related: The 4200R was made out of pictures and drawings of the car after the actual car went MIA. The same thing could happen with cars like Furai. ;)

The alternative interpretation is that they literally only use GTPlanet as a source for community vehicle suggestions...

That seems incredibly unlikely, but also unnecessarily optimistic.
The way I interpreted it in the interview when I originally read it, was that he was still talking about VGT cars and how the designers at PD talk to the manufacturer decide on what car they would like to add to the game.

Do you remember when GTP News covered a tour of PD studios and there was a shelf with a bunch of plastic models?...looked like 1/20 or 1/24 scale.

Photo is link

First of all, yay! There's an E36 M3 racecar there. :D And a Ferrari F50! :D

Second of all. I think this looks a lot like the car list for GT4, I think many of these boxes are showing just a little bit of aging, they don't look new. And many of the cars on the boxes are standard cars from the GT4 era, which leads me to believe these cars were collected in the early 2000s to aid development on GT4. Not all of the cars made the cut it looks like. Also underneath the cars there are some motorcycles. Possibly for the development of TT which was also a late PS2 era game. So yeah, really nice collection of cars here, the cars that are not in GT that are on here are probably cars that PD want to add to GT at some point in time. Possibly GT7, especially as a few of those cars that are on that wall and not in GT are at the top of GTPs car wishlist that PD may have checked.

The scale models were probably sufficient enough in the days of the PSX and PS2, but now with hi-res detailing and the ability to 3D scan things, the scale models are probably not going to be used any longer unless they can get their hands on the higher detailed die-cast models.

I believe this helps my argument of aiding GT4 era development. :)

@Famine @Jordan Could this be a good possible future interview question? I would really like to read the response about how they chose these cars and if they were the part of the development of past versions of Gran Turismo, and If we might see some of these missing cars in the future games. Refering the the picture @Johnnypenso linked of course.

Last edited:
I have an outstanding and amazing idea. 💡

Let's all write a letter to Kaz, with all our requests. It would be like writing to ... Santa Clause. :P

"Our Clause .. to Kaz Clause". :bowdown:

Case Claused! :rolleyes:

Clausetrophobia = Fear of Santa Clause ?:lol:

The way I interpreted it in the interview when I originally read it, was that he was still talking about VGT cars and how the designers at PD talk to the manufacturer decide on what car they would like to add to the game.

First of all, yay! There's an E36 M3 racecar there. :D And a Ferrari F50! :D

Second of all. I think this looks a lot like the car list for GT4, I think many of these boxes are showing just a little bit of aging, they don't look new. And many of the cars on the boxes are standard cars from the GT4 era, which leads me to believe these cars were collected in the early 2000s to aid development on GT4. Not all of the cars made the cut it looks like. Also underneath the cars there are some motorcycles. Possibly for the development of TT which was also a late PS2 era game. So yeah, really nice collection of cars here, the cars that are not in GT that are on here are probably cars that PD want to add to GT at some point in time. Possibly GT7, especially as a few of those cars that are on that wall and not in GT are at the top of GTPs car wishlist that PD may have checked.

I believe this helps my argument of aiding GT4 era development. :)

@Famine @Jordan Could this be a good possible future interview question? I would really like to read the response about how they chose these cars and if they were the part of the development of past versions of Gran Turismo, and If we might see some of these missing cars in the future games. Refering the the picture @Johnnypenso linked of course.
Great deduction. Agree with post.

imagine if Kaz listened to everything we say on internet forums. Maybe he'll finally include better cars and drop the dupes

imagine if Kaz listened to everything we say on internet forums. Maybe he'll finally include better cars and drop the dupes

What! Everything! :eek: He'd be so sick of all the hating that goes on that he'd probably close PD down and go live in a tax free haven with no internet access so he could count his millions in peace. :lol:

well 1 reason for all the hating is that Kaz don't listen to us when we say no standards, and add course maker. If he listned to us there would be less hate

well 1 reason for all the hating is that Kaz don't listen to us when we say no standards
The problem is that "we" don't all say that. Everyone agrees that they want a superb looking GT7. Everyone doesn't agree that this should exclude content. I don't want fewer tracks, and I don't want fewer cars. And hopefully no one would mind terribly if at the very least, we were allowed to install any Standard content from disc, though most likely, GT7 is going to come with everything on every disc.

Hey, we don't even know what shape the Standard content is going to be in. Kaz has gone on a hiring binge over the past year, and I have no doubt that most of those people are modelers, and some are artists. While much of the staff are going to deliver a few dozens of cars and some new tracks, I'm betting that a good number of them are upgrading the Standard stuff. And really, what most people see as the problem with the cars is that the textures and skins need to be brought up to HD levels. Faceted surfaces like wheel wells and windows wouldn't be hard to fix. It wouldn't take decades to make all the Standard cars look very nice, and they could be made better looking than the "super" Standards we have in GT6 now.

I know this irritates the diehards here on the boards, but even if they aren't upgraded much at all, I still want those cars and tracks. And just to reiterate for contrast, outside of these boards, in articles by some well respected gaming sources, no one seems all that put off by the Standard cars and tracks like those who despise them here. Sounds, lack of damage, lack of a Livery Editor, slow bot AI among a few other gripes, those are brought up in almost every article, so it seems the outrage over the Standards just isn't universal.

The cake is still baking and will be for a year or more, and according to everything Kaz has remarked on the subject, we're getting those Standards. So I'd suggest that people plead for as many Premiums as possible, and for the rest of the content to look as good as the team can make it.

The problem is that "we" don't all say that. Everyone agrees that they want a superb looking GT7. Everyone doesn't agree that this should exclude content.
These two statements are in opposition. You can't have standard cars and tracks, as they appear in GT6 and have a superb looking GT7. So the statement we, "everyone agrees that they want a superb looking GT7", isn't true for anyone that is willing to accept 2 generation old assets in their game.

They are evidently coming in GT7, regardless of what anyone says. So what will you Standard haters do?

I'm suspecting the "standards" in GT7 would be GT6 PS3 premium level, while the "premium" in GT7 is PS4/next gen premium level, hopefully similar to driveclub cars in details.

I'm suspecting the "standards" in GT7 would be GT6 PS3 premium level, while the "premium" in GT7 is PS4/next gen premium level, hopefully similar to driveclub cars in details.

:lol:

There is absolutely no way the entire Standard garage will be updated to Premium quality, unless PD has both a) been holding out the past five years, and b) out-sourced in huge quantities during that time. Existing Premiums are actually already up to Driveclub's detail levels, especially those built with adaptive tessellation for GT6. Improved shaders and lighting (the latter of which PD is already very strong at) is what's going to make the jump to current-gen systems more impressive. That, and modelling under-hood, like FM6 (which benefits PD for any long-term plans on serious damage modelling implementation).

They are evidently coming in GT7, regardless of what anyone says. So what will you Standard haters do?

Probably buy games that won't rely on two-generation-old assets for padding, I suspect.

I don't believe they are coming to GT7 in their current form.

I remember when the initial translation of the Japanese document hinting at standard cars came out, and few could believe then that Polyphony would put PS2 cars in a PS3 game. It seemed ridiculous, and people were more willing to believe that Polyphony would have 1000 GTHD/GT5P level cars in GT5.

If they've got the balls to put PS2 cars in a PS3 game, I don't see why they'd balk at PS4. It's not really going to be much different, they'll look fine in the distance and totally out of date close up to anyone without vision problems.

The problem is that "we" don't all say that. Everyone agrees that they want a superb looking GT7. Everyone doesn't agree that this should exclude content. I don't want fewer tracks, and I don't want fewer cars. And hopefully no one would mind terribly if at the very least, we were allowed to install any Standard content from disc, though most likely, GT7 is going to come with everything on every disc.

I don't want all the same cars to be copy pasted in 7, the ones i've been driving since 1997 from GT1, regardless of if they've been slightly more polished. If GT7 has full damage effects, say for instance, losing parts from the car, then how can that be a consistent experience throughout the game if only premiums do?

Hey, we don't even know what shape the Standard content is going to be in. Kaz has gone on a hiring binge over the past year, and I have no doubt that most of those people are modelers, and some are artists. While much of the staff are going to deliver a few dozens of cars and some new tracks, I'm betting that a good number of them are upgrading the Standard stuff. And really, what most people see as the problem with the cars is that the textures and skins need to be brought up to HD levels. Faceted surfaces like wheel wells and windows wouldn't be hard to fix. It wouldn't take decades to make all the Standard cars look very nice, and they could be made better looking than the "super" Standards we have in GT6 now.

No, but we can make an educated guess from playing GT since the beginning. If you believe that standards in 7 will be in any shape or form a much higher leap than they are now, then i'd suggest this is more wishful thinking on your part. Also, super standards in 6? Were we playing the same game? A few got a new render here or there, they looked better, but still the subpar jagged old old gen models remained. This created 3 tiers of car level detail in GT6 instead of the 2 we've seen previously -

Premium
Standard Premium ( New Exterior, no interior )
And Plain Standard ( Pixelated, low resolution, no interior )

If it " wouldn't take decades to make all the standard cars to look very nice " as you say, then I suggest you load up GT6 and pay the Daihatsu dealership a visit. You should even buy the one that says " Tuabo " on its side. Doesn't sound like you've been there yet... But yeah, 1997, that was decades ago, no?

I know this irritates the diehards here on the boards, but even if they aren't upgraded much at all, I still want those cars and tracks. And just to reiterate for contrast, outside of these boards, in articles by some well respected gaming sources, no one seems all that put off by the Standard cars and tracks like those who despise them here. Sounds, lack of damage, lack of a Livery Editor, slow bot AI among a few other gripes, those are brought up in almost every article, so it seems the outrage over the Standards just isn't universal.

From your constant posting about GT7 in every single news comment i've seen, even on non GT related news items, I think you're the " Die Hard " that you like to portray everyone else as. GTs implementation of standard cars on PS3 is nothing short of embarrassing when, in the same gen, you have a game like Forza which has full cockpit views throughout. How anyone, in any forum, can long for a letterbox view, from a low detail car in a current and next gen title is... bewildering.

The cake is still baking and will be for a year or more, and according to everything Kaz has remarked on the subject, we're getting those Standards. So I'd suggest that people plead for as many Premiums as possible, and for the rest of the content to look as good as the team can make it.

I'll pass on the pleading thanks. I'm not that desperate that i'll wail and cry to PD to make a game that's visually consistent. Anyone that does so needs to buy more than one game every 5 years instead. 👎

If it " wouldn't take decades to make all the standard cars to look very nice " as you say, then I suggest you load up GT6 and pay the Daihatsu dealership a visit. You should even buy the one that says " Tuabo " on its side. Doesn't sound like you've been there yet... But yeah, 1997, that was decades ago, no?
Gee, there sure seem to be a lot of people wanting to race classic cars from the 1950s and 60s, which are quite a few decades ago, no? And by the way, I own just about every car in GT5 and 6 both. Most of them Standards. And raced them. And took Photo Mode pics of them. So, yeah. ;)

Clearly we have different strokes. I think the one good thing about GT7 coming in the state it will be in, is that those who can't abide it will finally be gone, and we who will enjoy it will be free to in a measure of peace. Because even those who like the game here can be a tough crowd sometimes.

Whether it will be an embarrassment to the gaming world, on that I'm quite doubtful. GT5, a game which to me is clearly inferior to GT6, even with the Course Maker, sold well over 10.5 million copies and may have sold to 11 million by now. Yes, it's still selling, go figure. And it was excoriated here as soundly as was GT6. But go to Amazon and both games are rather well liked and rated. Gaming journals like Eurogamer have quite glowing reviews of them, and they don't vomit at the Standard cars and tracks, while they will criticize the lackluster car sounds and lack of damage. There are the hardliners in GT Planet and other boards, and then there's the "real" world, and the two dare I say it, have different standards.

When GT7 finally pokes its nose from behind the yellow curtain, the nets will most likely asplode as always, and it will sell in the millions. Just how critics and gamers will receive it remains to be seen, but even the lowly GT6 has sold at levels that most other developers would be outrageously happy to see, isn't hated like it is here, and is still selling. And right now, all I care about is getting GT7 in my (yet to be purchased) PS4 and exploring that new HD world PD built for us. By all means, explore whatever world you want, but Gran Turismo is my racing home, and I'm content to live here.

Gee, there sure seem to be a lot of people wanting to race classic cars from the 1950s and 60s, which are quite a few decades ago, no? And by the way, I own just about every car in GT5 and 6 both. Most of them Standards. And raced them. And took Photo Mode pics of them. So, yeah. ;)

That's not what I said. Read it again. Also, that's nice for you. Sounds like you're looking for some kind of medal there.

Clearly we have different strokes. I think the one good thing about GT7 coming in the state it will be in, is that those who can't abide it will finally be gone, and we who will enjoy it will be free to in a measure of peace. Because even those who like the game here can be a tough crowd sometimes.

Erm, that's how you think gaming communities work is it? So what about the new people who come to the gran turismo franchise on an ever consistent basis and are vocal about what they don't like then? :lol: Your logic is short sighted at best here. This isn't a hippy community where we all kiss Kaz's feet. I'd suggest that if you can't abide criticism of a computer game then clearly the Internet is not for you.

Whether it will be an embarrassment to the gaming world, on that I'm quite doubtful. GT5, a game which to me is clearly inferior to GT6, even with the Course Maker, sold well over 10.5 million copies and may have sold to 11 million by now. Yes, it's still selling, go figure. And it was excoriated here as soundly as was GT6. But go to Amazon and both games are rather well liked and rated. Gaming journals like Eurogamer have quite glowing reviews of them, and they don't vomit at the Standard cars and tracks, while they will criticize the lackluster car sounds and lack of damage. There are the hardliners in GT Planet and other boards, and then there's the "real" world, and the two dare I say it, have different standards.

Real world isn't GT Planet? The home of Gran Turismo? The very boards that PD read for consumer feedback? You'd rather read loving praises of GT from random non GT centric media review sites than the very constructive feedback from the gamers that matter? Why are you even on GTP if this is the case? Just read mainstream game review sites all day. They, and some *others will always tell the gaming community the truth right?

*IGN - cough cough, pay us and you'll get 9/10*

When GT7 finally pokes its nose from behind the yellow curtain, the nets will most likely asplode as always, and it will sell in the millions. Just how critics and gamers will receive it remains to be seen, but even the lowly GT6 has sold at levels that most other developers would be outrageously happy to see, isn't hated like it is here, and is still selling. And right now, all I care about is getting GT7 in my (yet to be purchased) PS4 and exploring that new HD world PD built for us. By all means, explore whatever world you want, but Gran Turismo is my racing home, and I'm content to live here.

It will sell less than it could easily be capable of.** You should look around the 'nets‘ and see how many people have been turned away from buying anymore of the GT series after experiencing GT6. It's not only on GTP, it's just that here we are allowed to have a voice, i'd much rather have that than see some sort of weird, creepy, GT agreement fest... Shudder.

**HD world with standards cars included. Pixels and no cockpit details on a PS4 will apply.

Adaptive Tessellation may have its limits, but it is much easier to implement on PS4 hardware than the bespoke method used on a handful of premium cars in GT6. Through this, it may be possible to greatly smooth out standard car models. However, standard cars also make use of low-resolution textures to represent finer details that aren't modelled such as panel gaps and logos, and those can't be fixed without remaking the model. Also wheels, there'll need to be a lot of remodelling of wheels.

If they do decide it to have I hope it will not show in dealership.

They can have a separate category like used cars in GT5 or achieve. Best thing will be is if they only have premium cars and based on their research and simply convert top 50 standards to premium 💡

Back