Kaz finally listened to this car forums

• Thread starter Meithyk
  • 115 comments
How did you listen to us Kaz?
Polyphony Digital staff read the site.

I think this is the fifthish time I've spoken to Kazunori and @Jordan is running a similar number. He knows GTPlanet.

However please pay attention to the words of the answer. They try to balance new cars that manufacturers want, historically interesting cars and the most requested cars on forums - not just us. Combine that with the fact that manufacturers are more interested in getting their new cars out there and you might be getting ahead of yourself with the enthusiasm for GTP's Suggestions being implemented.

Well... I was the interviewer when Kazunori said that. He did specifically say forums, but then I already explained that...

To be the technical guy again, I'm guessing the interview was in English, which means Kaz was probably going through Translator-san. Translator-san said forums, because Japanese doesn't usually use plurals outside of a few rare instances or specifically stating multiples. It's possible that Kaz specifically used one of those terms, but I doubt it. Either Translator-san knows that they read multiple forums, or he's assuming and just said "forums" because it's an easy translation.

But I'd be careful about reading too much into something which there's a decent chance could have been ambiguous in the source language, and is just rendered that way in English because it's natural. On the fly interpreting is tough, and while Translator-san is pretty good it's impossible for every statement to hold up to the sort of minute scrutiny that goes on around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be the technical guy again, I'm guessing the interview was in English, which means Kaz was probably going through Translator-san. Translator-san said forums, because Japanese doesn't usually use plurals outside of a few rare instances or specifically stating multiples. It's possible that Kaz specifically used one of those terms, but I doubt it. Either Translator-san knows that they read multiple forums, or he's assuming and just said "forums" because it's an easy translation.

But I'd be careful about reading too much into something which there's a decent chance could have been ambiguous in the source language, and is just rendered that way in English because it's natural. On the fly interpreting is tough, and while Translator-san is pretty good it's impossible for every statement to hold up to the sort of minute scrutiny that goes on around here.
The alternative interpretation is that they literally only use GTPlanet as a source for community vehicle suggestions...

That seems incredibly unlikely, but also unnecessarily optimistic.

The alternative interpretation is that they literally only use GTPlanet as a source for community vehicle suggestions...

That seems incredibly unlikely, but also unnecessarily optimistic.

Or that they only use the official Sony forum, or perhaps some Japanese equivalent of GTP that they find easier to read.

You're likely to be right, I was merely cautioning against reading things into nuances of language that really don't mean anything in a translated quote. Personally, I think you're almost certainly right, just not for the reasons that you stated. I think it's dubious at best to base your reasoning on "he said forums with an s" rather than just "we know they read GTP, and it seems pretty likely that if they bother to read GTP they probably track the Sony forums and some others as well".

I mean, if it was me and I was looking for information on what cars to add GTP would probably be top of the list, and then I'd be splitting it between major forums for other similar games (so wishlists for games like Forza, rF2, AC, etc), and real life enthusiast forums, to see what new and old cars are recommended to buy and which are considered iconic.

I don't think it would only be the Car Suggestions that PD would be looking at.

I'm sure they look at the things that have gathered significant amounts of attention and take them into account.

There's probably a team there that's been hired to watch social media, forums and just word of mouth like hawks.

Maybe this could be their ammo for GT7 but I'm just speculating.

Like I've said in other threads, let's just wait and see.

Regarding the title of the thread; Mr.Yamauchi could just be telling what people want to hear. He obviously won't deny any speculations, so he leaves them up in the air to build hype among fans.
Did you read the interview at all?
I clearly doubt they have that kind of persona who monitors trends around community forums
They certainly do have an employee whose job it is to do exactly that.

Yes, from top to bottom. Twice even, given the interesting matter.
Then you'll know that no speculation was put to him for him not to deny. You'll also know that the interviewer didn't bring up the forums - he did.
But I still stand by what I said. To fans intriguing questions would result in answers that often leave enough space for doubts. I felt that in almost every interview GTP or anyone else had with Polyphony.
This was, as it says in the third paragraph of the preamble, an interview about Vision GT. The answers were, I felt, just as straight as the questions - with the only bit of vagueness being that he can't say which manufacturer(s) are now interested in VGT that did not appear on the original list.
According to the result we got ever since GT5 came out, I don't think that is true. 85% of contents/upgrades the community would like to see hasn't been carried out yet.

Either there is no such persona doing that job, either he is not doing it right, with all due respect.
Do you have a source for that bold claim?

Nevertheless, as you'll see from the interview Kazunori states that when it comes to deciding what cars to add they have to balance between what the fans on the forums want, cars of historic significance and new cars - and manufacturers, as you see from the last questions, are sometimes more interested in licensing them cars they actually sell right now. Which is pretty obvious as it's a marketing exercise - BMW would sell more M4s through them being in GT6 than they would 1985 E30 M3s, because they don't sell those.

If you're suggesting that the person at PD whose actual job it is to monitor internet forums isn't doing their job because there's not enough top 30 cars being added, you don't understand the paragraph above. And they do exist, whether you think they do or not. I've not met them yet though.

Last edited:
I think those "top 30" or whatever number is flying around, is probably being set up for inclusion in GT7 if anything.

I doubt at this stage that we'll get many new cars besides the VGT's...

...would love to be proven wrong by PD of course.

This thread came to my attention from one of my friends and we had a right laugh reading it. Now I don't mean to be rude but do you have a brain? In the interview, Kaz CLEARLY states that along with manufacturers, historical context, AND the forums they try and whittle down the cars, they don't just trawl these threads and pick out cars to add willy nilly, they look at what cars are there at the moment, do they have some sort of historical prominence and then after that sequence, does it coincide with what, based on the threads, the players seem to want.
And as for the cars you listed, my oh my. Yeah some of those old Chev's would be great! But what about the ones we have? Adding all of those would turn it more into Gran Turismo, the real old American muscle simulator. The game needs a variation of cars, a nice selection throughout different styles. A handful of this and a handful of that, not no new sports cars and a walloping great load of the same type of car.

Is it me or did some of the posts related to some 60's classic American cars has been removed?

If anyone actually read the whole interview then most of these questions over in this thread wouldn't be here in the first place:

GTPlanet: Away from VGT, how do you decide which cars you want to put into a Gran Turismo game?

Yamauchi: Firstly we get the news of new releases and new designs that auto makers are working on. Then there’s cars that have historic importance which takes some research on our side. There’s also cars that go on the forums – top 30 or top 50 lists – and we kind of balance between them all.

GTPlanet: Do you find that manufacturers are more willing to let you model newer cars than older ones though?

Yamauchi: Yes, sometimes!
Basically (like Famine and others said), they first focus on cars that manufacturer makes right now then secondly they look at historical Road/Race Cars and then finally they look at forums for some of the top requested cars (i'm guessing GTP and couple other forums). Based on what Kaz said, he balances the amount between New/Historical/Fan Requested Cars.

Kaz also said that some manufacturers wants him to model and make new cars rather than older one's.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Lets say they take the Top 30 from the car suggestions forum (ordered by likes), that is going to be one good list of cars: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/board/cars.339/?order=first_post_likes
Oh Look! GT-One Road Car is on 24th most liked Suggestions cars! So there "might" be a chance for the GT-one and other cool cars to appear in GT7 (Hopefully).

Uh, now I've realized what kind of mistake I have done. The term 'cars' somehow managed to slip by me, consequently allowing my thoughts to be based on the premise that we are talking about attention to the general forums, not car forums specifically. I must have been under influence of a bad weather or something, should have read the interview the third time. :P

I apologize for the turbulence it has been caused. I also offer a short overview of the topic to make my presence useful:

It is clearly that Polyphony incorporates vehicles based on the inputs from the car manufacturers, general communities and by looking at historical significance. However, this is nothing new - all driving-video game developers deliver their cars that way. What I'm worried about is that one of these three groups has more advantage over the others - based on the vehicles we got so far that should be the case. The way I see it, the vehicles with the least bias are those worshiped by the community group.

Edit: Slightly changed my thoughts and deleted embarrassing comments. :)

Last edited:
...Huh, this thread looks a little different than a few hours ago. Wonder what happened? Hmm.

The interview Famine did was good, no doubt. But besides the two nuggets of info regarding VGT cars' interiors and possible future of Bertone, the rest was as expected.

One thing I'm kinda curious about, did you submit the questions before hand to PDI's PR department for a so-called "checks", @Famine? I know it's a standard industry practise in many a political and entertainment journalism nowadays...

Back