Kaz interview on Eurogamer - Standards are here to stay! Poll added

• Thread starter Johnnypenso
  • 1,699 comments

Kaz says the standards are going to be in GT7. Is this a deal breaker for you?

• If standards are in GT7, I'm out.

Votes: 171 19.5%
  • I will buy GT7 regardless.

Votes: 498 56.9%
  • On the fence, I'll wait for the reviews and then decide.

Votes: 206 23.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bye Kaz, i won't buy GT7 (GT5.2)
Instead of working more to convert standard cars & tracks they just copy them game after game
No_Common_Sense.jpg

I am happy that the standards are returning because what would a trackday be without such a variety of cars. But like I said in the standards good bad and ugly thread they ALL need to be to the level of detail of the 73 Skyline with working high beams, reverse lights and tag lights. The exterior needs to meet or exceed the level of the rufs. They also need to be somewhat customizable. And take away that stupid blacked out cockpit because that makes the cars just look stupid.

It's not only about driving them also to have them as AI. When you see a mixed field of pixelated and high detailed cars it is already bugging me in GT5/6. Black Windows, flat tail lights in front of me. pixelated wheels.

I'm guessing people who want standards would be fine when, playing Fifa to have the opposing team filled with PS2 era players, play with a PS2 era character in GTA V, Play BF4 with PS2 era weapons, Play Uncharted using a PS2 era Nathan Drake etc
Hideo Kojima let us use PS1- and PS2-era Snake models. I thought that was awesome.

Either way, what you're suggesting is hardly relatable to using less than up-to-par car models. For one, cars are NOT people. People do not reflect their environments like cars can. People do not get spay painted in a matte finish like cars can.

... COME ON.

It's not only about driving them also to have them as AI. When you see a mixed field of pixelated and high detailed cars it is already bugging me in GT5/6. Black Windows, flat tail lights in front of me. pixelated wheels.
AH. See, that's a good enough argument. It makes a lot more sense than other ones.

Edit -
But I'll have to admit, it's sometimes hard to differentiate a number of the standard cars from premium cars when you're racing against them (in GT6). There are definitely some that are more noticeably pixelated, but with GT6, most/all of them have improved and some of them look damn good considering what they were in GT5. GT7 (or PS4 and X1 games, in general) will not be played using 4k resolution. So it's not going to be able of the argument of, "The PS4 will make the standard cars look even worse."

Last edited:
Using your logic, why not just throw all the PS2 tracks onto the PS4 as well? Heck, why not just copy and paste all the content since GT3 into GT7? If it's good enough for the cars, why not the tracks as well?

Putting "1xxx" cars on the box, it's as simple as that. When you're the only game in town with a 4 digit car count it's a huge marketing advantage, especially if the public is unsuspecting. Take away the label "standard" as they did for GT6, and hope no one notices before they lay down their money.

Does anyone know what standards will look like on the PS4?

I just hope they can convert some of the most popular ones. Still boggles my mind why theres a premium Toyota MK3 but no MK4.:rolleyes:

Hideo Kojima let us use PS1- and PS2-era Snake models. I thought that was awesome.

Either way, what you're suggesting is hardly relatable to using less than up-to-par car models. For one, cars are NOT people. People do not reflect their environments like cars can. People do not get spay painted in a matte finish like cars can.

... COME ON.

The MGS thing was a standalone part. Cars are sort of the characters in a car game.

Stop it. Right there

Every car has detailed wheels, even more detailed than some of the cars, actually

You know the interesting thing is ,that you don't have to use that car if you don't want It . So , there is absolutely no need to be masochistic :D

On the other hand , I like that car very much and I don't think It would look half that bad , if it was updated to some semi-premium standards as RUF's. Don't you think ?

Strawmen do.
:lol:👍

In all seriousness that's my main gripe about standard cars. I don't really care about graphical inconsistencies. Well, I don't care that much. But no (actual) cockpit view, man that sucks :(

Bye Kaz, i won't buy GT7 (GT5.2)
Instead of working more to convert standard cars & tracks they just copy them game after game
No_Common_Sense.jpg
Have you heard yourself? You won't buy a game, regardless of the rest of its features, because it contains a bunch cars you won't ever drive anyway?
Seriously!? :banghead:

Also If you fully read the article you would have noticed he said they're gong to make more standards premium.

That would be pretty embarrassing and I hope media would burry them alive. I think I´m not the only one, who thinks, that GT7 needs to be drasticaly better, different..almost starting from the scratch. Them copy pasting all theese cars yet again would also mean we would be stuck with the ridiculous grids again (classes anyone?). Also, who in their right mind is expecting 1000+ premium cars? First a good number of those standards are just variations and second, as many have pointed out are boring 90s japanese cars. 300-500 UNIQUE cars is just enought for anybody! Not to mention it would be waste of resources just like the Vision cars are. Big no no for me

Reactions: HBK
Have you heard yourself? You won't buy a game, regardless of the rest of its features, because it contains a bunch cars you won't ever drive anyway?
Seriously!? :banghead:
I really wished back in GT5 there would have been a "premium only" option, entirely hiding standards from all the game (won't see it in shops, AI won't use it, etc).

Such option does not exist and most likely wont exist in GT7.

So yeah, people care that they'll race against PS2 cars in a PS4 game.

In 2020 people will play on 1 ultrarealistic track with dozen ultrarealistic cars and claim this is a new standard! If this is what the future HD-standards stands for, than I don't want it. I still preffer lower quality and quantity in a game. And I want weather changes and day-night circle to remain. I want that the future bring more since the hardware is evolving to stronger and faster machines not less. So for me is better that all the cars and the tracks remain where they are. Sure I want all to be on the same quality level but if it's not possible than I can come to compromises.

I think the poll should have an extra option "I'm not going to buy GT7 regardless of standard cars."

After GT5, I just knew GT6 was going to be more of the same and so voted with my money. Reading that interview suggests that the poor sales of GT6 haven't yet informed Kaz's plans for GT7. Expect more of the same old story people...

I predict shortly Kaz will promise updated AI just as he has done for every release since GT2, and no doubt the difference will be barely noticeable.

I guess if McDonalds can make a fine living selling rubbish to undiscerning drones, there's no reason PD can't manage it.

I'd at least expect those standard cars to have improved exteriors... if not then it's a complete show of laziness.

'laziness'.Probably the same thing the FIA was thinking when they certified PD tracks for their complete lack of it.

I am happy that the standards are returning because what would a trackday be without such a variety of cars. But like I said in the standards good bad and ugly thread they ALL need to be to the level of detail of the 73 Skyline with working high beams, reverse lights and tag lights. The exterior needs to meet or exceed the level of the rufs. They also need to be somewhat customizable. And take away that stupid blacked out cockpit because that makes the cars just look stupid.
Kaz actually decided against having that upon first seeing it. But due to demand for some kind of cockpit view, it was added through the Spec 2 update. Some of us can deal with it, and some of us don't like it. I think it's better than nothing at all. I just very much dislike that we can't get rid of the other HUD instruments when using the game's custom speedometer and tachometer.

Only in cockpit mode.

HBK
I really wished back in GT5 there would have been a "premium only" option, entirely hiding standards from all the game (won't see it in shops, AI won't use it, etc).

Such option does not exist and most likely wont exist in GT7.

So yeah, people care that they'll race against PS2 cars in a PS4 game.
The ai using standards is a problem. Could someone ask Kaz if he could include standards as free dlc or in an install disc so people who don't like them don't have to have them in the game?

The ai using standards is a problem. Could someone ask Kaz if he could include standards as free dlc or in an install disc so people who don't like them don't have to have them in the game?
While that would be a very nice option indeed, I'm 100% sure we won't have it. They won't put those cars in the game for us not to see 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back