Kazunori Yamauchi at E3: Multiclass Racing, Customized Race Suits and Another Beta?

I would've thought it's very much about SR. Having to use the immersion killing exterior views to be able to compete with others of a similar speed on an even SR playing field would be an absolute deal breaker for me. The spatial awareness advantage could be the difference in an S ranking or an A ranking SR for some, and at guess I would think even more of a difference in lower the groups.

What I meant with "not necessarily" is that if that viewpoint advantage proved to be absolute, a considerable balance issue would exist and you'd have to use it to compete regardless if SR/DR were implemented or not. SR/DR system may put further weight on that decision, certainly.

Thanks for asking about the missing mirror mystery @Jordan, it's always baffled me as to why there isn't one. And from the answer given I must admit I'm still a little confused.

a proper bonnet cam with rear-view mirror.
That's exactly what is needed, a proper bonnet/hood view - centre of car just beyond the windscreen. Not the up in the air roof view which varies from car to car. There would be no particular spatial awareness advantage then so there'd be no excuse for a lack of mirror.

Nice interview though. A beta 2 sounds good - although I'd prefer the actual game.

That's exactly what is needed, a proper bonnet/hood view - centre of car just beyond the windscreen. Not the up in the air roof view which varies from car to car. There would be no particular spatial awareness advantage then so there'd be no excuse for a lack of mirror.

Totally agree, have been saying this for ever! My biggest issue with GT since GT5 is the weirdly inconsistent hood and roof views. If some people prefer the roof view, then add both! I usually always drive in bonnet cam as I don't feel comfortable driving in most other views. A proper camera placed at the point where the bonnet meets the windshield should be on every car.

Does not sound promising imo

tumblr_nl6cyuBOEj1sexuoko3_250.gif

So, this was all about "smoke & mirrors". I feel there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth in the "Fail 2017"...whoops, "Fall 2017".. dang, did it again... "Fall 2017 8".

I want this to be the best GT ever, but seriously, I'll wait for Johnnypennso, Scaff and SlipZstrem(as well as other gtplaneteers whose opinions I trust), to give their hardcore unbiased reviews, before I think about getting GT_.

#smoke&mirrorsyall

A (relatively) straightforward interview, thanks. But there's one response that I had to read twice:

Seriously?

It's true though... With that view you already have an advantage in the periferic view, and you can see better the upcoming corners. With a mirror included it would pretty much be like having 360° awareness with no drawbacks at all, unlike other views.

To me baffling is how in the middle of dozens if not hundreds of questions, and out of the 5 or 6 selected, one is about mirrors. Oh well. Atleast is not like last year when every interviewer was ask about HDR.

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I for one never understood the overwhelming appeal of weather effects in a driving game. Sure, all that stuff looks nice in a video or an image, but for me it's mostly just a pain to drive in these conditions, i.e. when I can't see where I'm going. I mean, I get why they put Brands Hatch at sunset in the beta (because it looks nice), but for driving, seeing your brake-markers, etc., it's less than ideal. Fog? They stop and suspend races because of that. Thunderstorms? Same.

The only part I actually would like about it, is the strategic element that would come in for endurance races, if you have a realistic period of transition between a dry/wet track. Unfortunately, I have never seen this accomplished in any game so far. Maybe it's being neglected, because 99% of the players would never experience it anyway, because they never do endurance races - who knows. But I digress...

It's a bit like the discussion about damage. It all sounds like a great idea to make everything as real as possible ... until you experience the frustration of your race being ruined by some idiot on lap 1, or a night race with lights that are too weak to see 50m ahead. (The memories of Willow races in GT6 are still too vivid for me)

I also don't really see the point of having another full featured demo in August, if the game is supposed to be released in fall. What do they expect to achieve with that? Quality assurance?

@shurnster Interior view during replays appears in this recent E3's interview game footage. Noteworthy these shots aren't letterboxed.

BTW must miss something very obvious but where is the insert quote button in the forum's new layout?

Last edited:
So, this was all about "smoke & mirrors".

To me baffling is how in the middle of dozens if not hundreds of questions, and out of the 5 or 6 selected, one is about mirrors.
:lol:

I agree with that view being an advantage. A player wouldn't have to take their eyes off the road.

@shurnster Interior view during replays appears in this recent E3's interview game footage. Noteworthy these shots aren't letterboxed.

BTW must miss something very obvious but where is the insert quote button in the forum's new layout?

There's a better view of the Mazda6.

Last edited by a moderator:
while some may complain about the "optimism", as someone who is still out of beta, I have to complain about this:

GTP: So a public beta?

KY: No, we can’t say public, because several million people would rush to play it. That means our server costs would shoot through the roof before we sell the game, so we can’t do that! So it won’t be completely open, but we would like to at least have at least another tier in terms of participation.

seriously?
a one-week beta will do that to you? ffs!! not everyone reading is that dum

No, we can’t say public, because several million people would rush to play it. That means our server costs would shoot through the roof before we sell the game, so we can’t do that!

I think you're missing the point, Kaz. Most developers would be excited that several million people would be rushing to play their demo. That would be several million potential customers that you could impress with how great your game is.

Instead, "we don't want to pay for servers until you've already handed your cash over". Boy, I'm totally sure that there are going to be no issues with servers at launch with that answer. There's no way that they're going to try and skip on the amount of servers needed.

:censored:ing grow a pair and put your money where your mouth is, Kaz. You're setting yourself up to fail at this rate.

Also, they're going to run a multi-million player online based game without a full stress test? What a recipe for disaster. If it was me I'd gladly hand over however many hundred thousand dollars just for that, because having an open beta tank sure beats having servers crashing day one. See how much work Driveclub had to put in to win people back, and even then it was never quite the same as having a product that just worked from the start.

I can't believe that Polyphony, arguably Sony's biggest franchise, is cheaping out because they can't afford a week of open beta. Despite the obvious benefits. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the moment that it became more about the money than the game.

Well I think we're all going to be surprised with final product.

I think that's pretty much guaranteed. If it was delayed, we'd be surprised. If it launched on time, we'd be surprised. If it was great, we'd be surprised. If it was awful, we'd be surprised. If it was somehow exactly what everyone expected, even that would be surprising.

In this particular case, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Multi-class racing would be cool. But than we need the yellow headlights back (I thought they are all white now). With 20 cars online: 7 LMP1 and 13 GT-cars. Or like Le Mans: 5 LMP1, 5 LMP2, 5 GTpro, 5 GTam. Based on driver-ranking. But you can always switch to lower classes.

Or 60 Cars online :lol: full Le Mans Grid.

I'm really looking forward to this game now. :gtpflag:

Last edited:
One would have thought the cost aspect would have been figured out when they originally announced there would be a public beta in the first place.

To enjoy a more immersive sim experience, the bumper cam or the interior cam would be the go to? And both of those have rear-view mirrors. In lobbies, it'd be neat to have the option to set which view was mandatory during a race - kind of like we had TC, ABS or SRF requirements in the GT6 lobbies

If anything to make the game more immersive, they need to give in and give us a proper bonnet cam with rear-view mirror. It pairs nicely with a racing wheel.
None of this is particularly relevant to anything.

Last edited:

First I've seen of that video. Mt Panorama looks amazing ...

Although has got me wondering.
If another "beta" happens and the ones that were in the first one.
If they would be already accepted?

Flabbergasted by the no open beta reasoning. Also he said he can't say yes or no about course maker, but why not? A couple days ago he said zero features will be dropped from previous games. So its a definitive yes isn't it?

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I for one never understood the overwhelming appeal of weather effects in a driving game. Sure, all that stuff looks nice in a video or an image, but for me it's mostly just a pain to drive in these conditions, i.e. when I can't see where I'm going. I mean, I get why they put Brands Hatch at sunset in the beta (because it looks nice), but for driving, seeing your brake-markers, etc., it's less than ideal. Fog? They stop and suspend races because of that. Thunderstorms? Same.

The only part I actually would like about it, is the strategic element that would come in for endurance races, if you have a realistic period of transition between a dry/wet track. Unfortunately, I have never seen this accomplished in any game so far. Maybe it's being neglected, because 99% of the players would never experience it anyway, because they never do endurance races - who knows. But I digress...

It's a bit like the discussion about damage. It all sounds like a great idea to make everything as real as possible ... until you experience the frustration of your race being ruined by some idiot on lap 1, or a night race with lights that are too weak to see 50m ahead. (The memories of Willow races in GT6 are still too vivid for me)

I also don't really see the point of having another full featured demo in August, if the game is supposed to be released in fall. What do they expect to achieve with that? Quality assurance?
People demand all these weather effects etc but you never see them in online lobbies.

People demand all these weather effects etc but you never see them in online lobbies.
I know there's a lot of talk about weather and TOD in games but IMO it's more of a niche feature, little used by just about everyone I ever raced with over the several years I played GT5/6 online. I'd say it's about as popular as using comfort softs on a supercar or any car for that matter, or no ABS braking, both of which were extremely rare in both versions of the game online. I'd be happy in any game with static or predetermined weather and TOD if it means higher, more stable frame rates and the ability to add more eye candy generally as a result.

Like you said, simply because it looks amazing, and its a chance for a game to flex its graphic model. But for games that have tracks that replicate sections of highway/backroads, it allows you to make believe your on an everyday drive with bad conditions. Still, you probably wouldn't be pushing your car too hard during a rain/fog, but sims do have a way of making us feel like driving gods!

Thunder/lightning is a bit silly though - I'd avoid that stuff all all costs :lol:

With Project Cars 2 Livetrack 3.0, it looks like games are getting ever closer to this type of simulation. SMS is definitely moving the bar higher for all sims.

I know there's a lot of talk about weather and TOD in games but IMO it's more of a niche feature, little used by just about everyone I ever raced with over the several years I played GT5/6 online.

I'd be happy in any game with static or predetermined weather and TOD if it means higher, more stable frame rates and the ability to add more eye candy generally as a result.

Gotta admit - in GT6, I only raced in the rain about 1 in 8 or 9 races. I'd take as much night gameplay as possible however, especially in city courses. Agree regarding the dynamic nature of it all.

Last edited:
I think you're missing the point, Kaz. Most developers would be excited that several million people would be rushing to play their demo. That would be several million potential customers that you could impress with how great your game is

Open demos can have a flip side also. The millions of people that don't follow the game but buy GT without knowing nothing about and see an open beta pop up on their PSN store and try it and find out it IS NOTHING like previous GT's and don't buy it. An open demo could cost them a lot of sales, remember most sales come from casuals.

Back