Kazunori Yamauchi at E3: Multiclass Racing, Customized Race Suits and Another Beta?

Sounds good. Wonder what they define as fall if another beta comes in August. That's cutting it close.. And customized racing suits and helmets wasn't new, but it's good to have it reconfirmed. I know exactly how I'll design my suit.

Yey for foggy Nurburgring, actually playable. :P I really can't wait to give that a go. Also multi-class racing will be tested, that will be really nice as well.

I do not agree with the answer for the rear-view mirror in roof view though. What we have now is almost everyone using normal/bumper view because the mirror is there.. If anything it would even out the camera views a bit more. I actually have a thread for this on the beta forums and it has quite a lot of likes so people definately want to have this rear-view mirror available. It's better for safe and clean racing anyway so I don't understand why they won't add it. Bit of a weird choice if you ask me.

Sounds good. Wonder what they define as fall if another beta comes in August. That's cutting it close.. And customized racing suits and helmets wasn't new, but it's good to have it reconfirmed. I know exactly how I'll design my suit.

i remember the customization of outfits from GT5/6, but are they referring to actually designing your own helmet?

A (relatively) straightforward interview, thanks. But there's one response that I had to read twice:

GTP: Why is there no rear-view mirror available in the “roof view”?
KY: There is no real technical reason why it is not there, but the roof view is easier to drive with. It might be unfair if [a rear-view mirror] was there. If you make the view too easy for people to use, everyone might just be using that view.
Seriously?

i remember the customization of outfits from GT5/6, but are they referring to actually designing your own helmet?
To some extent, yes. If you preorder you're granted a chrome helmet, a plain chrome helmet would look boring, right? But add some stickers and voilá. Doubt it's anything fancy though, but adding some stickers and choosing some preset designs a la GT6 should be possible.

I do not agree with the answer for the rear-view mirror in roof view though. What we have now is almost everyone using normal/bumper view because the mirror is there.. If anything it would even out the camera views a bit more. I actually have a thread for this on the beta forums and it has quite a lot of likes so people definately want to have this rear-view mirror available. It's better for safe and clean racing anyway so I don't understand why they won't add it. Bit of a weird choice if you ask me.

Yeah, that's one weird ass answer. I understand that roof and 3rd person do have better spatial information, but the idea that it makes one or the other too easy seems incredibly silly. It shouldn't be a "game balance" issue when you are trying to promote a sport that is supposed to teach you sportsmanship and safety/health of those around you like its real life counterpart.

Edit: And I'm happy for foggy Nurb and hopefully Foggy Tokyo loop.

Awesome, I really want to create or customize a Helmet In Game that I can bring to a designer in real life to get one made up. Can't wait to see more on this! Thanks Jordan.

Unfortunately the question, as presented in the article, was too vague and so was the answer. Customizing may just mean what we had in past GTs and not some cloth "livery editor".

Yeah, that's one weird ass answer. I understand that roof and 3rd person do have better spatial information, but the idea that it makes one or the other too easy seems incredibly silly. It shouldn't be a "game balance" issue when you are trying to promote a sport that is supposed to teach you sportsmanship and safety/health of those around you like its real life counterpart.

The mirror is an invaluable resource for clean racing, allowing you to look behind you without touching buttons and disorienting yourself by completely changing the screen with a lookback feature. Incomprehensible that an online focused eSport game wouldn't have this feature in all views.

The mirror is an invaluable resource for clean racing, allowing you to look behind you without touching buttons and disorienting yourself by completely changing the screen with a lookback feature. Incomprehensible that an online focused eSport game wouldn't have this feature in all views.

You tell'em JP! 👍

I really hope that one day they put the 24h time cycle and weather changes back in this game. I've been disappointed by some of the actions/inactions on the part of PD/Kaz. However, as I stated many times this game was my first love. I don't want to see it fail. And I want more Sim like features and driving feel incorporated into the mix. I would hate a dazzling graphics package and a sterile driving feel.

I'm playing RF2, Race Room, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars. GT6 forced me to leave more than a year ago.
I'm still holding out hope for GTS and beyond. :gtpflag:

Could it be more of an SR balance issue? Because of the spatial awareness advantage it could force people into using 3rd person/roof view to keep their SR rankings high rather than use the more realistic in-car/bumper cam view. I can (sort of) see where they're coming from with this decision.

I don't like the more arcade style of the external views, so this works for me:D

I think the only game that I played that did it for all views out of the box was PCARS but I'm not sure.
They all offer solutions like sensors/arrows/radars now.

I've mentioned in another thread that they aren't/shouldn't be substitutes for mirrors if there's no technical reason to it, given that they require more abstraction and sometimes offer less precise information.

Could it be more of an SR balance issue? Because of the spatial awareness advantage it could force people into using 3rd person/roof view to keep their SR rankings high rather than use the more realistic in-car/bumper cam view. I can (sort of) see where they're coming from with this decision.

I don't like the more arcade style of the external views, so this works for me:D

The rationale is exactly that, not necessarily about SR though.
But I think the idea shouldn't be "it'll make it easier for them" but "it'll make it better for those around them, if they use a mirror".

Nice interview. 👍

Interesting response regarding the beta.
Good news that it will continue and see updates, but a shame he's all but squashed an open beta.
Probably not much likelihood of new invites then either.
Bitter-sweet for some of us.

Great news about the fog.
I really hope it isn't limited to just the ring though.

Roof view comment was interesting.
His reasons as to why he feels that view is easier to drive in could nave been interesting.

And I wouldn't start making helmet designs just yet.
It might be possible, but "customise" could mean many things besides using paints or stickers.

The rationale is exactly that, not necessarily about SR though.
But I think the idea shouldn't be "it'll make it easier for them" but "it'll make it better for those around them, if they use a mirror".
I would've thought it's very much about SR. Having to use the immersion killing exterior views to be able to compete with others of a similar speed on an even SR playing field would be an absolute deal breaker for me. The spatial awareness advantage could be the difference in an S ranking or an A ranking SR for some, and at guess I would think even more of a difference in the lower groups.

Last edited:
I never knew that a rear view mirror in the hood view was such a demanded feature.

To enjoy a more immersive sim experience, the bumper cam or the interior cam would be the go to? And both of those have rear-view mirrors. In lobbies, it'd be neat to have the option to set which view was mandatory during a race - kind of like we had TC, ABS or SRF requirements in the GT6 lobbies

If anything to make the game more immersive, they need to give in and give us a proper bonnet cam with rear-view mirror. It pairs nicely with a racing wheel.

Back