Kazunori Yamauchi at E3: Multiclass Racing, Customized Race Suits and Another Beta?

I know there's a lot of talk about weather and TOD in games but IMO it's more of a niche feature, little used by just about everyone I ever raced with over the several years I played GT5/6 online. I'd say it's about as popular as using comfort softs on a supercar or any car for that matter, or no ABS braking, both of which were extremely rare in both versions of the game online. I'd be happy in any game with static or predetermined weather and TOD if it means higher, more stable frame rates and the ability to add more eye candy generally as a result.

I agree partly. I didn't care much for it until Driveclub came along. I know it's an arcade racer but the dynamic weather was arguably its best feature.

For sim racing? I can understand that it isn't really a feature most people will use but it is nice to have options.

I agree partly. I didn't care much for it until Driveclub came along. I know it's an arcade racer but the dynamic weather was arguably its best feature.

For sim racing? I can understand that it isn't really a feature most people will use but it is nice to have options.
It's nice to have options but options come at a price. The cost is development resources, time and framerates so not all features are painted with the same brush. Could those resources and that time have been better used on a feature or features that might be more widely used and useful will be the discussion that naturally ensues.

It's nice to have options but options come at a price. The cost is development resources, time and framerates so not all features are painted with the same brush. Could those resources and that time have been better used on a feature or features that might be more widely used and useful will be the discussion that naturally ensues.
I agree I don't like racing in the pouring rain in dead of night but I really like racing while the sun is setting through light cloud cover.

Can't disagree with you there 👍

Open demos can have a flip side also. The millions of people that don't follow the game but buy GT without knowing nothing about and see an open beta pop up on their PSN store and try it and find out it IS NOTHING like previous GT's and don't buy it. An open demo could cost them a lot of sales, remember most sales come from casuals.
ding ding ding

GTP: The new E3 trailer shows heavy fog at the Nurburgring. Is that a real weather state that will be playable within the game?

KY: Yes.

upload_2017-6-15_12-16-49-png.654139

OMFG oO

170610091537839958.gif

GTP: The new E3 trailer shows heavy fog at the Nurburgring. Is that a real weather state that will be playable within the game?

KY: Yes.

upload_2017-6-15_12-16-49-png.654139
Kaz said he wants to optimize the power of the console. At what expense did this take away from another feature?

Another beta won't hurt Kaz is kinda right about the server's GTS seems to be nearly 100% done in terms of graphics gameplay needs like 10% of tuning

Seemed like genuine answers from Kaz. Always good to hear.

I especially liked the course maker bit. I understand why he can't promise anything but I hope at least they do an update. It's too good of a feature to not include.

I'm just afraid it would take a lot of effort since they'd have to create new settings or remake all the graphical assets from the previous GT6 version.

Another beta won't hurt Kaz is kinda right about the server's GTS seems to be nearly 100% done in terms of graphics gameplay needs like 10% of tuning

I would definitely not say graphics are 100% done since we haven't really seen any weather effects yet.

There's some overreactions in here from the answers Kaz gave, imo. Like the lack of a public beta. I don't think a public beta is a must-have thing these days. That's just me though. I have other games to play in the meantime anyway. I'd rather he and PD concentrate on finishing the game on time and using what they have now in terms of the beta and make little updates to it, tweaking it as they have until they finalize their decisions and have that go to producing the final game.

I think you're missing the point, Kaz. Most developers would be excited that several million people would be rushing to play their demo. That would be several million potential customers that you could impress with how great your game is.

Not necessarily, eg SMS doesn't appear to be too keen on the benefits of having a demo which is why Pcars2 isn't getting one.

Also, they're going to run a multi-million player online based game without a full stress test? What a recipe for disaster. If it was me I'd gladly hand over however many hundred thousand dollars just for that, because having an open beta tank sure beats having servers crashing day one. See how much work Driveclub had to put in to win people back, and even then it was never quite the same as having a product that just worked from the start.

Presumably though Sony think that the data from the closed beta will be sufficient.

Not necessarily, eg SMS doesn't appear to be too keen on the benefits of having a demo which is why Pcars2 isn't getting one.

SMS probably don't think that they'd get millions of people playing one either, which changes the value proposition somewhat.

Presumably though Sony think that the data from the closed beta will be sufficient.

Presumably. Let's see how that works out. I'm gonna preorder popcorn. Many well prepared games with full open betas struggled at launch.

In regards to SMS, it was a case of not doing a demo to eliminate those that wouldn't by the game because they might not like what was on the demo.
SMS couldn't justify the cost of offering one for that outcome. They figure the people that will buy it, will and those that won't buy it, won't.

I don't understand that cos theory for Sony. Millions will buy the game. Getting a taste of 1 or 2 cars on 1 or 2 tracks at their optimum cold sell people on the game. Something like every prologue they've ever done, has paid dividends. I think it's a bad move. But hey, I've already got my popcorn in the bowl.

It's a GT, how many millions of people will buy this game 'just because'? GTP is a (vocal) minority of the people that buy this game. Even if every member here has heard of GTSport and weighed in on it negatively and decided not to purchase, that's still a fraction of the total sales each of these games gets. We'll see how their decision turns out. I don't think a public beta is going to sway a lot more of public opinion than the game has already. It'd be nice to have though!

It's a GT, how many millions of people will buy this game 'just because'? GTP is a (vocal) minority of the people that buy this game. Even if every member here has heard of GTSport and weighed in on it negatively and decided not to purchase, that's still a fraction of the total sales each of these games gets. We'll see how their decision turns out. I don't think a public beta is going to sway a lot more of public opinion than the game has already. It'd be nice to have though!
Yeah, we're only what, about 250,000 members here out of the millions of copies that go around?

As for a public beta, I think it definitely would bring in a lot more people since it would likely be publicly advertised on the PS, and open to all, compared to this one.

A few others thought that it was.
"A few others" = "one person liked my post".

Also, there was quite a bit of discussion about how views provide an immersive sim experience, so it was particularly relevant.
"Quite a bit of discussion" = "one post in the entire thread mentioning the concept at all, but still in relation to Kaz's interview".

"A few others" = "one person liked my post".

"Quite a bit of discussion" = "one post in the entire thread mentioning the concept at all, but still in relation to Kaz's interview".

There were other replies which had likes (you can count them if you want, I won't). But really, why bother man? If you didn't like my post, just move on to the next.

I thought it was on topic - you didn't. Cool.

Last edited:
SMS probably don't think that they'd get millions of people playing one either, which changes the value proposition somewhat.

Why not, they sold over 2 million copies of Pcars1.

Presumably. Let's see how that works out. I'm gonna preorder popcorn. Many well prepared games with full open betas struggled at launch.

True, but Sony also have the experience from Driveclub, and what was required in order to make it run smoothly. AFAIR Driveclub's initial problems were due to an underestimation of demand, something that can be judged from the closed beta for GTS.

Why not, they sold over 2 million copies of Pcars1.

True, but Sony also have the experience from Driveclub, and what was required in order to make it run smoothly. AFAIR Driveclub's initial problems were due to an underestimation of demand, something that can be judged from the closed beta for GTS.
Sony was the reason Drive Club was a mess at release, they forced out the door unfinished

Sony was the reason Drive Club was a mess at release, they forced out the door unfinished

Why do you think that? Paul Rustchynsky said at the time “We ran a beta test, and none of these issues occurred; we had confidence everything was ready", which seems to disagree with your assertion.

Why do you think that? Paul Rustchynsky said at the time “We ran a beta test, and none of these issues occurred; we had confidence everything was ready", which seems to disagree with your assertion.
That's a PR statement, what do you think they are going to say? Sony made us push out an unfinished title with lobbies that didnt work

That's a PR statement, what do you think they are going to say? Sony made us push out an unfinished title with lobbies that didnt work

But do you have any evidence that it's untrue, or is it just your assumption about what happened?

But do you have any evidence that it's untrue, or is it just your assumption about what happened?
It's called common sense, would you let your baby, your pride'n joy go out the door knowing that it will get raked over the coals

Back