Kazunori Yamauchi Has 'No Intention of Stopping' GT Sport's Free Updates

I’m fine with that as well. When R* re-released GTAV on the PS4, they supported a save-file transfer from the PS3 version. If GT Sport was re-released on the PS5 with massive upgrades and I could just transfer my save file over, I would buy PS5 day-one and re-purchase GTS.
Enhanced graphics on PS5. Crossplay with previous gen (if possible and the balance of performance is guaranteed). I think this is no different from making a new installment like on the previous generations. So much better than waiting 2-4 years for a release date.

I do agree with the idea that content should be added when it's ready, rather than just holding it back until the next game. This is a great win for us, because it ensures that a stream of content continues to flow, which will stop the game from quickly fading into obscurity. These updates do bring people back, even if it is for one or two days.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

But seriously, I dont see the revenue stream of moving GT Sport to a ps4/ps5 combo title... I would love to pay these guys more money... surely paying for a new console isnt enough to support PD?

I'd love to be able to put the GT Sport disc into a Ps5 and have it go.

The extent of Sony's interest in PS+ subs and GTS is something only a Sony executive knows for sure, but I also think it's myopic from your part to not see that everything is connected. I'd doubt that PD, being a subsidiary of Sony, is not integrated in their broad strategy. Ironically, Gran Turismo is a game that supports 4K and HDR (I know these two are becoming common, but for sure this is a requirement forced by Sony and not only a design choice), PS VR, and iirc, even supported 3D once just to add value to Sony in their TV business. Wasn't it even used to showcase 8K TVs recently? GTS is integrated into Sony's strategy to value its games business AT LEAST.

Would be shocking to me if Sony neglected all the synergies between its products at least inside the same division. Most probably they're much smarter than you think and see GTS and a good seller of PS+ subs, among other things.

Yes, indeed. But offline is obviously not the focus for them. They barely created any offline content using the new tracks and cars.

As for not becoming a paid service, isn't it the goal for pretty much everyone right now? Why would they stick to the old model of making one sale when the world is showing there's a lot more money do be made when you engage your audience for longer, with live services?
The number of GTS players, who pay for PSN+ and own no other games is going to be incredibly small. So small as to make no significant difference at all to the profit line for PS+.

You only have to look at the difference in player numbers for a single FPS in comparison to GTS to see that's the case, and that's without the fact that only around a third of GTS players have even used Sports mode.

GTS is used as one of the titles Sony like to promote products with because it looks good when doing so, the average TV buyer isn't making that buying choice based on GTS being used, but on how good the product looks.

As it stands right now FIFA and COD players have a massively better argument (using your logic) that they should get free stuff given that they are bringing far more revenue to Sony via PS+ regardless of who publishes them.

Enhanced graphics on PS5. Crossplay with previous gen (if possible and the balance of performance is guaranteed). I think this is no different from making a new installment like on the previous generations. So much better than waiting 2-4 years for a release date.
I would rather Wait 2-4 years for a new gran turismo game. Than have same game on ps5 without Any differences exept graphics. If they just carry it over to ps5 with improved grapics in the Wait for next gt i will be fine with that.
But if they going to hold of another gt 4 years after ps5 comes out. Gt sport is going to need plenty of new features like.
Dynamic weather
Rebuild the career mode. Mostly gt league it needs to have championchips and prize cars again.
Gt auto
Tuning shop
Custom parts section.

And if course more cars and tracks but thats pretty Much already guranteed

Nice interview and I'm excited for the rest of it. I'd love to see a question to Mr. Yamauchi why there are only 3 daily races at the same time? Why not 5, 7 or 10?

I'm really happy to read about free updates and the future of GT Sport, but I'd like to know about rain and classic tracks if they are in development

There was a comment on this back in November 2018. It's unfortunately highly unlikely we will see rain in GT: Sport.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ral-discussion.337545/page-1395#post-12551382

Nice interview and I'm excited for the rest of it. I'd love to see a question to Mr. Yamauchi why there are only 3 daily races at the same time? Why not 5, 7 or 10?
Most likely because the player numbers in each region are not enough to support an increase.

There was a comment on this back in November 2018. It's unfortunately highly unlikely we will see rain in GT: Sport.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ral-discussion.337545/page-1395#post-12551382
That's in regard to dynamic weather, static weather is more than possible, after all its already included in one mission event, and Kaz has already said its being worked on.

I would rather Wait 2-4 years for a new gran turismo game. Than have same game on ps5 without Any differences exept graphics. If they just carry it over to ps5 with improved grapics in the Wait for next gt i will be fine with that.
But if they going to hold of another gt 4 years after ps5 comes out. Gt sport is going to need plenty of new features like.
Dynamic weather
Rebuild the career mode. Mostly gt league it needs to have championchips and prize cars again.
Gt auto
Tuning shop
Custom parts section.

And if course more cars and tracks but thats pretty Much already guranteed

My point was not just graphic enhancement (although I didn't mention it). I agree with the wish list. :cheers:

This will be a controversial opinion, but I'd rather they take that approach in the future.

A game releasing with 500 cars at launch makes me focus on the cars I want at the start and not touch most of them. This content staggered release actually makes me spend time with a more variety of cars.

You're not wrong in the sense that it puts the spotlight on a new set of cars every month.

The trade-off with this approach though is the Day One appeal. Yes, none of us are going to regularly use all the cars when there's 400+ to choose from at launch — but the 20 or so that I prefer will likely be different from the 20 you do, and so on for other people. It's a hard sell to tell people that the they'll need to wait a year or longer to maybe have more cars that interest them.

I'm not saying either approach is right. FM7 has over 800 cars but a reasonable amount just fade into the background for me. Not as much as a game like GT6, because there's less near-duplicates, but still. The start-small approach relies on the patience of players.

The number of GTS players, who pay for PSN+ and own no other games is going to be incredibly small. So small as to make no significant difference at all to the profit line for PS+.

You only have to look at the difference in player numbers for a single FPS in comparison to GTS to see that's the case, and that's without the fact that only around a third of GTS players have even used Sports mode.

One single game might not sell PS+ for a lot of people, but every important game is adding value to PS+. If you don't subscribe only for GTS like me, you might consider subscribing when you find two games that are worth it? Or even buying a PS4 when you find one or two games that are interesting? I tend to believe the number of people who will subscribe just for one game is not so insignificant though.

One single game might not sell PS+ for a lot of people, but every important game is adding value to PS+. If you don't subscribe only for GTS like me, you might consider subscribing when you find two games that are worth it? Or even buying a PS4 when you find one or two games that are interesting? I tend to believe the number of people who will subscribe just for one game is not so insignificant though.

I agree. I have PS+ but i play more games than gt sport. I play division 2 as well. Most likely dying light 2 too when it comes out

I own PS+ for more than GTS. I also greatly value the ‘free’ monthly PS+ games. But the other week it was the desire to play online in GTS that pushed me to renew my PS+ earlier than expected. If I was midway through a single-player game, I’d have held off for a few more weeks.

It’s pretty clear PS5 will have backwards compatibility. PD may offer a patch to run at a higher resolution and with a few extra graphical bells & whistles. But it’ll essentially be the same game.

That will tie players over until the next-gen GT is ready. Of course all of the content being made for GTS will carry over to the next GT. So that’s another way to justify the free updates from a financial perspective.

Im pretty sure Sony gives some of the Ps+ cut to Pd for making new content. So Updates are only free if you arent subscribed to Ps+. Otherwise always some of the money you gave will go to Gran turismo content. Even if you dont have the game.

There is no other way Pd can get enough budget. Microtransaction alone will never be enough for a monthly update.

That just means that Sony is funding PD. You’re buying a PS+ subscription, nothing else.

“Yes, we have no intention of stopping those updates and additional content for the game"

......Innnnnn the same way that he had no intention of adding microtransactions into the game. Well...

(yes I know there's BoP to mitigate a pay-to-win scenario, but not having a daily login bonus really sucks, and people who are not GT Sport-savvy will easily label the microtransactions as scummy.)

You’re not wrong. But the amount of storage these games take up was a huge oversight. AAA games regularly exceed 100 gigabytes in size. Imagine if the PS4 was advertised as only being able to support 3 games at one time?
Thats not an oversight. That's a business decision made by Sony.

Back in PS3 days, we got much worse with max game size exceeding 50GB...with max storage option of 500GB. While we are now while the game exceeds 100GB...the max storage option is now 2TB/2000TB. Essentially doubles the game size to storage ratio.

Also rarely a PS4 game exceeds 100GB. Sure more prominent, fully detailed game like Red Dead Redemption 2 did but most aren't.

Better graphics, physics, and details would need bigger file size. Maybe because the much more prominent practice of downloading a game and overall network improvement that the storage problem become much more prominent even if it used to be worse back then.

Most likely because the player numbers in each region are not enough to support an increase.

That's in regard to dynamic weather, static weather is more than possible, after all its already included in one mission event, and Kaz has already said its being worked on.

Thank you. I read it again and it indeed refers to changing weather conditions. Then I really hope it will see the light of day this year.

You're not wrong in the sense that it puts the spotlight on a new set of cars every month.

The trade-off with this approach though is the Day One appeal. Yes, none of us are going to regularly use all the cars when there's 400+ to choose from at launch — but the 20 or so that I prefer will likely be different from the 20 you do, and so on for other people. It's a hard sell to tell people that the they'll need to wait a year or longer to maybe have more cars that interest them.

I'm not saying either approach is right. FM7 has over 800 cars but a reasonable amount just fade into the background for me. Not as much as a game like GT6, because there's less near-duplicates, but still. The start-small approach relies on the patience of players.

Small is relative though. GTSport launched with more than enough cars for most people I reckon. It's intriguing. One one hand you're point is very valid, but I'm leaning more and more to this approach. Feel like with more visual customization (for GT7 hopefully) -- I'd be more than ok with 150-200 cars at launch with a 10 car free update a month.

He continues: “I think nowadays we are no longer in the era where you hold on to the new cars and tracks that you create for the next title, and you save it all for your release. I don’t think we work that way any more. Now it is sort of like being on Spotify or the iTunes Store; I think it is more natural to have new additional cars and tracks added to the store as they are ready to go.”

I love that Kaz said this and is trying to embrace the future. Now if only PD could also start to operationalize untapped opportunities that exist with the fan/social/community sector?

If you understand that we are entering an era of continuous engagement, surely one must see the merits of keeping an engaging relationship with your fans through new content, new events, but don't forget about designing a strong communication platform too. I'm glad to see that Kaz will do these sort of interviews to connect with his community, but wow isn't this format also in desperate need for modernization?

Just keep talking, listening and engaging with the fans Kaz, it's part of the new era and we can help transform the GT franchise.

I dont have any source its a hypothesis. But it makes sense.

It makes sense that Sony is funding PD.
It doesn’t make sense to claim that it means that you purchase their game updates, because you’re paying Sony for something completely different.

“The settings for the Daily Races are done by the Operations Team within Polyphony Digital,” explains Yamauchi. “They are the ones that come up with the events, so I will give that feedback to them!”

It’s not their only role however. “The guys that are actually working behind the screens of the operations side of this event are actually people from the operations team,” continues Yamauchi, “and they are also the ones that are thinking up the race combos for the competitions as well. I think their work load is maybe overflowing, so maybe we need to increase our capacity on that team!”

LOL. How long does it take for a TEAM to come up with interesting race combos? Such an insignificant task, but he makes it sound like it's actual work.
I think the team should be forced to read the daily race thread for a while. It would take me about 6 or 7 seconds to come up with an original race combo that the people like.

Back