Kazunori Yamauchi Has 'No Intention of Stopping' GT Sport's Free Updates

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Calmlity

Calmlity

Enhanced graphics on PS5. Crossplay with previous gen (if possible and the balance of performance is guaranteed). I think this is no different from making a new installment like on the previous generations. So much better than waiting 2-4 years for a release date.

NosOsH, Pigems and BallPtPenTheif like this.
  2. Rustyhole

Rustyhole

This interview counts as a free update! :lol:

3. SestoScudo

SestoScudo

I take this as good news.

Free updates are the best!!!

AgentBlackDog likes this.
  4. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

I do agree with the idea that content should be added when it's ready, rather than just holding it back until the next game. This is a great win for us, because it ensures that a stream of content continues to flow, which will stop the game from quickly fading into obscurity. These updates do bring people back, even if it is for one or two days.

5. Bohemis09

Bohemis09

Iam joking of course.

6. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

But seriously, I dont see the revenue stream of moving GT Sport to a ps4/ps5 combo title... I would love to pay these guys more money... surely paying for a new console isnt enough to support PD?

I'd love to be able to put the GT Sport disc into a Ps5 and have it go.

7. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

The number of GTS players, who pay for PSN+ and own no other games is going to be incredibly small. So small as to make no significant difference at all to the profit line for PS+.

You only have to look at the difference in player numbers for a single FPS in comparison to GTS to see that's the case, and that's without the fact that only around a third of GTS players have even used Sports mode.

GTS is used as one of the titles Sony like to promote products with because it looks good when doing so, the average TV buyer isn't making that buying choice based on GTS being used, but on how good the product looks.

As it stands right now FIFA and COD players have a massively better argument (using your logic) that they should get free stuff given that they are bringing far more revenue to Sony via PS+ regardless of who publishes them.

NosOsH and Imari like this.
  8. Ande3200

Ande3200

I would rather Wait 2-4 years for a new gran turismo game. Than have same game on ps5 without Any differences exept graphics. If they just carry it over to ps5 with improved grapics in the Wait for next gt i will be fine with that.
    But if they going to hold of another gt 4 years after ps5 comes out. Gt sport is going to need plenty of new features like.
    Dynamic weather
    Rebuild the career mode. Mostly gt league it needs to have championchips and prize cars again.
    Gt auto
    Tuning shop
    Custom parts section.

And if course more cars and tracks but thats pretty Much already guranteed

emula and AleksandarSRB like this.
  9. Interstellar9

Interstellar9

Nice interview and I'm excited for the rest of it. I'd love to see a question to Mr. Yamauchi why there are only 3 daily races at the same time? Why not 5, 7 or 10?

There was a comment on this back in November 2018. It's unfortunately highly unlikely we will see rain in GT: Sport.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ral-discussion.337545/page-1395#post-12551382

10. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

Most likely because the player numbers in each region are not enough to support an increase.

That's in regard to dynamic weather, static weather is more than possible, after all its already included in one mission event, and Kaz has already said its being worked on.

11. noob133766

noob133766

Thanks Kaz and PD for all their effort in providing the community with free updates :D

NotThirdReich likes this.
  12. Calmlity

Calmlity

My point was not just graphic enhancement (although I didn't mention it). I agree with the wish list. :cheers:

13. DavidMonoy97

DavidMonoy97 (Banned)

Does this mean I get to miss my favorite premium cars from GT6? :nervous:

14. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

You're not wrong in the sense that it puts the spotlight on a new set of cars every month.

The trade-off with this approach though is the Day One appeal. Yes, none of us are going to regularly use all the cars when there's 400+ to choose from at launch — but the 20 or so that I prefer will likely be different from the 20 you do, and so on for other people. It's a hard sell to tell people that the they'll need to wait a year or longer to maybe have more cars that interest them.

I'm not saying either approach is right. FM7 has over 800 cars but a reasonable amount just fade into the background for me. Not as much as a game like GT6, because there's less near-duplicates, but still. The start-small approach relies on the patience of players.

15. MrBrunoA

MrBrunoA

One single game might not sell PS+ for a lot of people, but every important game is adding value to PS+. If you don't subscribe only for GTS like me, you might consider subscribing when you find two games that are worth it? Or even buying a PS4 when you find one or two games that are interesting? I tend to believe the number of people who will subscribe just for one game is not so insignificant though.

16. DavidMonoy97

DavidMonoy97 (Banned)

The cars I miss the most are the S13 and the S15. You want to know why? It's because they were premiums in GT6.

17. Ande3200

Ande3200

I agree. I have PS+ but i play more games than gt sport. I play division 2 as well. Most likely dying light 2 too when it comes out

18. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

It’s the least we should expect when the original release is so content light.

19. AlanH49

AlanH49

I own PS+ for more than GTS. I also greatly value the ‘free’ monthly PS+ games. But the other week it was the desire to play online in GTS that pushed me to renew my PS+ earlier than expected. If I was midway through a single-player game, I’d have held off for a few more weeks.

It’s pretty clear PS5 will have backwards compatibility. PD may offer a patch to run at a higher resolution and with a few extra graphical bells & whistles. But it’ll essentially be the same game.

That will tie players over until the next-gen GT is ready. Of course all of the content being made for GTS will carry over to the next GT. So that’s another way to justify the free updates from a financial perspective.

Pigems likes this.
  20. eran0004

eran0004

That just means that Sony is funding PD. You’re buying a PS+ subscription, nothing else.

21. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

“Yes, we have no intention of stopping those updates and additional content for the game"

......Innnnnn the same way that he had no intention of adding microtransactions into the game. Well...

(yes I know there's BoP to mitigate a pay-to-win scenario, but not having a daily login bonus really sucks, and people who are not GT Sport-savvy will easily label the microtransactions as scummy.)

22. Pururut

Pururut

Im not sure if that is a definition of free or paid but something is for sure Sony is funding Pd. And that money comes from Ps+.

23. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

Thats not an oversight. That's a business decision made by Sony.

Back in PS3 days, we got much worse with max game size exceeding 50GB...with max storage option of 500GB. While we are now while the game exceeds 100GB...the max storage option is now 2TB/2000TB. Essentially doubles the game size to storage ratio.

Also rarely a PS4 game exceeds 100GB. Sure more prominent, fully detailed game like Red Dead Redemption 2 did but most aren't.

Better graphics, physics, and details would need bigger file size. Maybe because the much more prominent practice of downloading a game and overall network improvement that the storage problem become much more prominent even if it used to be worse back then.

24. Interstellar9

Interstellar9

Thank you. I read it again and it indeed refers to changing weather conditions. Then I really hope it will see the light of day this year.

Scaff likes this.
  25. eran0004

eran0004

Source?

26. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

Small is relative though. GTSport launched with more than enough cars for most people I reckon. It's intriguing. One one hand you're point is very valid, but I'm leaning more and more to this approach. Feel like with more visual customization (for GT7 hopefully) -- I'd be more than ok with 150-200 cars at launch with a 10 car free update a month.

Pigems likes this.
  27. dabz343

dabz343

He continues: “I think nowadays we are no longer in the era where you hold on to the new cars and tracks that you create for the next title, and you save it all for your release. I don’t think we work that way any more. Now it is sort of like being on Spotify or the iTunes Store; I think it is more natural to have new additional cars and tracks added to the store as they are ready to go.”

I love that Kaz said this and is trying to embrace the future. Now if only PD could also start to operationalize untapped opportunities that exist with the fan/social/community sector?

If you understand that we are entering an era of continuous engagement, surely one must see the merits of keeping an engaging relationship with your fans through new content, new events, but don't forget about designing a strong communication platform too. I'm glad to see that Kaz will do these sort of interviews to connect with his community, but wow isn't this format also in desperate need for modernization?

Just keep talking, listening and engaging with the fans Kaz, it's part of the new era and we can help transform the GT franchise.

sirjim73 and Pigems like this.
  28. Pururut

Pururut

I dont have any source its a hypothesis. But it makes sense.

29. eran0004

eran0004

It makes sense that Sony is funding PD.
    It doesn’t make sense to claim that it means that you purchase their game updates, because you’re paying Sony for something completely different.

30. sturk0167

sturk0167

I think the team should be forced to read the daily race thread for a while. It would take me about 6 or 7 seconds to come up with an original race combo that the people like.

GTWolverine and Pigems like this.