Kazunori Yamauchi Responds to Gran Turismo 7 Fan Outrage

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,031 comments
Seems there's no room for positivity then. My bad.
Positivity is great and all, but toxic positivity is a thing too y'know. My point being that Kaz and Sony messed up big time, so let the outrage continue when it's literally paying customers than have a right to criticize the game every-which-way till something's done. The way GT7 was handled is bordering on fraud. They even touted the ability to sell cars which is not yet in the game, it's been a month,
but it's still supposed to be coming(, so we keep hearing from a nonchalant and diplomatic Kaz), reminder that it was used as a full-price selling point.

Last edited:
LMAO innovative. What innovation, he just copied reality when tech allowed it and has been surpassed at it for over 2 decades by his competitor.

A hell of a take, actually enjoying playing the game and not griding is poor game design. Grinding for 31 hours to buy 1 single car, yahh totally great design thats awesome. 🤪

A 500 hours of boring grinding for those with no life is how it should be, actually fun and enjoyable hell no. Anyone wonder why Forza is kicking GTs ass sales wise on less then HALF a user base lol.

Maybe casue its actually Fun driving a F1 a Merc One or Jesko with out a 100 hour boring grinding ehh.
When has Forza ever beaten GT in sales? Even GT Sport has sold over 10mn units. Forza can't even kiss the kings feet when it comes to sales, never mind actually surpass it.

Seems there's no room for positivity then. My bad.
Indeed.
There is a group of posters here who not only compulsively have to write how they hate the game at least a couple of times per day, but also will relentlessly attack anyone who dares to enjoy the game or say something positive about it.
I think of them as the hater thought police.

Positivity is great and all, but toxic positivity is a thing too y'know. My point being that Kaz and Sony messed up big time, so let the outrage continue when it's literally paying customers than have a right to criticize the game every-which-way till something's done. The way GT7 was handled is bordering on fraud.
Why are you trying to force everyone to toe your line? No room for different perspectives?

Positivity is great and all, but toxic positivity is a thing too y'know.
Of course mate.

I was actually responding to toxic negativity. My post was intended to be viewed in that context and was a direct response to the immediately-previous statement by Supaboost:

"Yes lets trust the fool responsible for every dumb game decision every let down every failure going on two decades."

The implication is obvious.

On cheating…

…an always-online requirement—necessary to prevent people from cheating with their saved games, Yamauchi says…

Sadly, while the roulette wheels won’t work unless the game is online, being online hasn’t stopped them from cheating.

PS I really don’t care if someone edits their save files to gain unearned competitive advantage. The chances that they’ll negatively impact my enjoyment are vanishingly small.

On cheating…

…an always-online requirement—necessary to prevent people from cheating with their saved games, Yamauchi says…

Sadly, while the roulette wheels won’t work unless the game is online, being online hasn’t stopped them from cheating.

PS I really don’t care if someone edits their save files to gain unearned competitive advantage. The chances that they’ll negatively impact my enjoyment are vanishingly small.
And if you only play a GT game for the single player, then the cheaters would never bother you anyways.

When has Forza ever beaten GT in sales? Even GT Sport has sold over 10mn units. Forza can't even kiss the kings feet when it comes to sales, never mind actually surpass it.
FH4 did 10 million bud, and did it on less then Half the user base. GT6 ended GTs sales "kingship" Also Forza been surpassing GT review/meta wise since 2005.

Even NfS MW (2012) sold 15 million.

PS2 gen is long gone, thats the last time GT was King.

FH4 did 10 million bud, and did it on less then Half the user base. GT6 ended GTs sales "kingship" Also Forza been surpassing GT review/meta wise since 2005.

Even NfS MW (2012) sold 15 million.

PS2 gen is long gone, thats the last time GT was King.
FH4 was on PC too, wasn't just X1 alone. FH4 is the best selling Forza ever by a mile and it still doesn't beat GT5 and only matches GT Sport. MW sold 15 million, and GT5 sold over 12 million on the PS3 alone 🤷🏼‍♂️. Also, regarding metascore; Motorsport 5 is at 79%, 6 at 87% and 7 at 86% so not exactly surpassing as you claim. Now, Motorsport 1, 2, 3 & 4 were excellent games and truly did surpass GT. I should know, I spent over a thousand hours across those titles.

Last edited:
FH4 was on PC too, wasn't just X1 alone. FH4 is the best selling Forza ever by a mile and it still doesn't beat GT5 and only matches GT Sport. MW sold 15 million, and GT5 sold over 12 million on the PS3 alone 🤷🏼‍♂️.
Who cares that it's including PC sales? that looks like a cheap strawman arguement to me. FH4 did rival a GT title in sales, that's his whole point dude. How are you not getting that eh?

Last edited:
Who cares that it's including PC sales? that looks like a cheap strawman arguement to me. FH4 did rival a GT title in sales, that's his whole point dude. How are you not getting that eh?
It matters when it supposedly did it on "less than half the userbase" when it was actually a bigger userbase.

Last edited:
LMAO innovative. What innovation, he just copied reality when tech allowed it and has been surpassed at it for over 2 decades by his competitor.

A hell of a take, actually enjoying playing the game and not griding is poor game design. Grinding for 31 hours to buy 1 single car, yahh totally great design thats awesome. 🤪

A 500 hours of boring grinding for those with no life is how it should be, actually fun and enjoyable hell no. Anyone wonder why Forza is kicking GTs ass sales wise on less then HALF a user base lol.

Maybe casue its actually Fun driving a F1 a Merc One or Jesko with out a 100 hour boring grinding ehh.
I am enjoying playing the game every day. On days where I haven't met my mileage for the daily ticket (bit annoying that free practice doesn't count towards it!) I do two GT4 runs at High Speed Ring to meet the mileage, but otherwise I just do what I want in the game.

I currently have 1.7 million credits after a bit of a spending spree buying some Gr3s and Gr4s to test out.

No grind here.

FH4 was on PC too, wasn't just X1 alone. FH4 is the best selling Forza ever by a mile and it still doesn't beat GT5 and only matches GT Sport. MW sold 15 million, and GT5 sold over 12 million on the PS3 alone 🤷🏼‍♂️
And the point still stands, GT hasent been King of any metric for over 20 freaking years.

PS2 gen is long gone, get over it.
I am enjoying playing the game every day. On days where I haven't met my mileage for the daily ticket (bit annoying that free practice doesn't count towards it!) I do two GT4 runs at High Speed Ring to meet the mileage, but otherwise I just do what I want in the game.

I currently have 1.7 million credits after a bit of a spending spree buying some Gr3s and Gr4s to test out.

No grind here.

Awesome that you do, most of us arent that lucky.

How's this for a hot take: I think GT Sport has a broken economy and GT7 has a more well designed economy that will prove to be a better gaming experience once all the events are in.

When did you ever have to think about spending money on cars in GTS except if you wanted one of the 20 million credit unicorns? You didn't. That's poor game design.

In GT7 on the other hand you can afford to buy regular street cars with little thought, you can buy regular race cars selectively (gr4/3), you can buy pricier race cars (gr1/2, those race winner cars that are more expensive like the DBR9 or the Ford GTs) if you save up some money. And you have to buckle down and grind for unicorns.

That's how things should be. Sport mode pays too little (this is getting fixed) and the max payouts for events is a bit low right now but this is also getting fixed. More importantly we will get events for cars that currently have none, like Gr2s and Gr1s, or formats like endurance races.

GT7s economy is better than GT Sport's.
GT7 is my first game I stopped playing because of broken economy. It's frustration everywhere. Roulette for a roulette? What? 2000 most of the time? Why even play this broken mess? I didn't have same feeling with GTS. If you are in doubt, check the MC score. :D

How's this for a hot take: I think GT Sport has a broken economy and GT7 has a more well designed economy that will prove to be a better gaming experience once all the events are in.

When did you ever have to think about spending money on cars in GTS except if you wanted one of the 20 million credit unicorns? You didn't. That's poor game design.

In GT7 on the other hand you can afford to buy regular street cars with little thought, you can buy regular race cars selectively (gr4/3), you can buy pricier race cars (gr1/2, those race winner cars that are more expensive like the DBR9 or the Ford GTs) if you save up some money. And you have to buckle down and grind for unicorns.

That's how things should be. Sport mode pays too little (this is getting fixed) and the max payouts for events is a bit low right now but this is also getting fixed. More importantly we will get events for cars that currently have none, like Gr2s and Gr1s, or formats like endurance races.

GT7s economy is better than GT Sport's.
Not a 'hot take' at all, it's a request to judge a titles economy on what we may get, rather than what we have right now. The fundamental flaw with that is we can't time travel.

A balanced economy, for both now and the future, would see players able to afford the majority of the content in game by completing the curated single player content in it's entirety. PD already know this is a fundament gameplay unlock loop, because they use it for track locations, you unlock the very last track location when you complete the very last GT Cafe Menu! If you want to really push it, say players have to dupe some of the events, say half of them again. You then add new events as you add new track locations and cars to the title, that way the in-game economy keeps pace with the total content (both tracks and cars).

It's really not that complicated at all, and as I have already outlined, PD knows this, but they picked a different route, resulting in an absurd grind for car content, and then they doubled down on it. Positive changes only came when the player base said 'enough is enough', and even then we don't yet know how they will be implemented or if they will be well implemented!

Now, for whatever reason GT7 released with far too little to do once the Menu's were finished, with far too little reward for doing the light amount of curated content, now this is not complicated stuff to add, hell they could have designed a revised UI for the curated single-player content from GTS and carried it over wholesale (it's not as if that isn't what they have historically done) and it would have resulted in a better balanced economy. Any economy that requires you to "buckle down and grind" is fundamentally not well balanced.

So no, it's easily demonstrable that not only is GT7's in-game economy not well balanced at all, but it's far less balanced that GTS's was at it's end of life, and that should have been the minimum jumping off point for GT7.

Last edited:

No grind here.
I was enjoying the game, but I am feeling that there are nowhere near enough enjoyable opportunities to make a decent amount of credits in the time I have available to play.

I have been playing GT since 1997 and while there is plenty to like about GT7, I also have so many gripes with it that I just can't bring myself to say that I love it any more. And I consider myself to be very far from a harsh critic...

What is most difficult to accept is that mostly everything that GT7 needs to be an amazing game is already there, it's just that there's far too many problems with how the game's content is used/delivered, with too many limitations, obstacles, irritations and impracticalities that spoil what should be a much better game.

Most of GT7's ills boil down to the in-game economy, but I do also wonder if those people in charge at PD actually play all aspects of the game, because it's hard to fathom why some things have been done the way they have when small changes could make the game so much easier to enjoy.

Last edited:
On cheating…

The annoying thing with PD keeping this line going is that it's not even a valid argument.

You do not need on-line only centrally controlled saves to police this and stop cheating, a simple Checksum validation on either the game save or the vehicle a user enters an on-line race with is more than enough to do the job.

As an example, this is what AC does, a title that is literally awash with mods and with modifying car data incredibly easy to do, yet Checksum validation ensures that if a car file has been modified and therefore doesn't match the server hosts version you can't use it in that lobby.

Funny thing is how garishly the MTX is implemented. Like at least put in the effort to give me the proper illusion of free will or choice. With the Crew 2 I have the illusion of choice intact, it's cleverly designed with the way you earn motorstars. It's most interesting that GT7 can't follow the right line, can't tread the tightrope, that would've made me and a lot of others happy. But the way it's implemented shows how little thought it was given. Just shows more on how rushed the launch of GT7 is.
Correct. PD can't even do that right. Makes me think if they can actually do anything right? So far most are in agreement that the car sounds are great and the physics are mostly great apart from a few things, but now I'm questioning those.

GT7 is my first game I stopped playing because of broken economy. It's frustration everywhere. Roulette for a roulette? What? 2000 most of the time?
Actually I started tracking my tickets to see if there was any streak system (i.e. get more stars if you do them every day) and since March 21st the 5K payouts have been the most frequent.

30000: x1
10000: x2
5000: x6
2000: x3

One tuning part, and one car as well.
Why even play this broken mess? I didn't have same feeling with GTS. If you are in doubt, check the MC score. :D
I base my opinion on my own perception of things instead of what other people tell me I should think.

@Scaff : I think you're fundamentally wrong about game design economies, or at the very least have a limited concept of how they should operate.

There's vast amounts of games where finishing the singleplayer "campaign" (for lack of a better word) does in no way mean you can afford all the content, without repeating parts of the content and/or transitioning to end game gameplay that is separate from the singleplayer content.

It's okay to not like how GT7 does it, but you're saying things that are objectively false about how game economies should work. At least when stated categorically you did.

Correct. PD can't even do that right. Makes me think if they can actually do anything right? So far most are in agreement that the car sounds are great and the physics are mostly great apart from a few things, but now I'm questioning those.
Skepticism is underrated. From my limited understanding Car sounds are indeed leaps above the past GT titles, but some cars sound a lot better than others, slight consistency issue there with quality.

the physics however is a more serious issue, which many have talked at length in the physics thread(s), it all boils down to, can you tolerate the physics till an update inevitably changes it for the better?

@Scaff : I think you're fundamentally wrong about game design economies, or at the very least have a limited concept of how they should operate.

There's vast amounts of games where finishing the singleplayer "campaign" (for lack of a better word) does in no way mean you can afford all the content, without repeating parts of the content and/or transitioning to end game gameplay that is separate from the singleplayer content.
Are you attempting to deliberately quote-mine me, or did you just not read my post?

I didn't say all of the content, I said most of the content, so that would be the first claim you misattributed to me.

I clearly said "players have to dupe some of the events, say half of them again.", so I clearly talked about repeating parts of the content, so that would be the second claim you misattributed to me.

I also have no idea what on earth 'end game gameplay' is and appears to be an attempt to move the goalposts, unless you're talking about on-line and/or custom races (but they are not end-game), which I would have already covered by referring to most content (which you then changed). And as for not understanding game economies when it comes to racing titles, I beg to differ. This loop is not only quite common, but has been used in GT titles in the past!

Last edited:
And if you only play a GT game for the single player, then the cheaters would never bother you anyways.
If I’m not playing single player, then I’m only playing with people I know. In fact, most commonly, I race with one guy with a goal to have the closest, most exciting finishes ever, where it doesn’t matter who actually crosses the line first, so long as it’s with a small fraction gap.

The annoying thing with PD keeping this line going is that it's not even a valid argument.

You do not need on-line only centrally controlled saves to police this and stop cheating, a simple Checksum validation on either the game save or the vehicle a user enters an on-line race with is more than enough to do the job.

As an example, this is what AC does, a title that is literally awash with mods and with modifying car data incredibly easy to do, yet Checksum validation ensures that if a car file has been modified and therefore doesn't match the server hosts version you can't use it in that lobby.
On top of that, unless modders fine a way to make cars with 10k Horsepower with as little as 500 PP, you can also put pp restrictions and hp restrictions as well let’s not forget that in online lobbies to try and prevent people from bringing in stupidly modified hacked cars that someone could use to cheat in online races. May not be perfect but it’s still a thousand times better than using this stupid always online DRM excuse to stop modded save files.

Last edited:
If I’m not playing single player, then I’m only playing with people I know. In fact, most commonly, I race with one guy with a goal to have the closest, most exciting finishes ever, where it doesn’t matter who actually crosses the line first, so long as it’s with a small fraction gap.
This definitely reminds me of a few mates on GT6 where we did exactly that, made sure the race was clean, gave each other positions back if we made contact etc. Good times.

Positivity is great and all, but toxic positivity is a thing too y'know. My point being that Kaz and Sony messed up big time, so let the outrage continue when it's literally paying customers than have a right to criticize the game every-which-way till something's done. The way GT7 was handled is bordering on fraud. They even touted the ability to sell cars which is not yet in the game, it's been a month,
but it's still supposed to be coming(, so we keep hearing from a nonchalant and diplomatic Kaz), reminder that it was used as a full-price selling point.
And once selling of cars becomes a thing, I expect that we can also sell the cars at market value, since that seems to be what Mr. Kaz is so focussed on. Yes that’s right, I want to be able to sell my cars from the UCD and LCD very close to 100% of the price I have payed for them. No 50% nonsense like in GTS. If I now buy a Ferrari GTO for 2,5 mill from Hagerty and next time the car appears at Hagerty for let’s say 3 mill, I expect to be able to sell my GTO for 3 mill as well. I mean, that’s the kind of real life link to classic supercar prices that Mr. Kaz wants right?

It's pretty obvious looking now at the game the reason they want it to be always online is so that they can readily control much of the game. The LCD and UCD data all comes from the PD servers, not your game disc. The "offline" events are all stored server side, probably a whole lot more.

GTS is much the same, and why a significant modification to the entire game will be required if they want to let you play it all offline when they make it EOL. It's not just a matter of flicking a switch and letting you access stuff. With no connection to PD servers, it's simply not there.

THAT is why you can't play the game when not connected, not for any cheating reason.

Back