Lamborghini Huracán LP610-4

• Thread starter JMoney
  • 499 comments
I think they will continue dropping.

1. Historically, second-tier Lambos have profound depreciation. Jalpas typically run $20k to 40k.*

2. There are a lot of Gallardos. Production numbers are very high. Half of Lamborghinis ever built are Gallardos (around 15,000 of them are running around)

3. The argument could be made that the Gallardo was a lot better than the Jalpa and that despite it's high production numbers it's still a Lamborghini and therefore any further depreciation is unlikely. That hasn't stopped the quite universally loved Ferrari F355 from approaching the 40-60k range. The Gallardo wasn't universally loved. There is more than 3 times as many Gallardos as F355s. Ferrari, historically, is a higher valued marque than Lamborghini, and that is quite clearly shown in auctions. The Huracan will be the next hot new thing, and I think it will make the Gallardo quite old news when it comes out. Lamborghinis are as much about the look (whats new and hot) as they are about performance. You wouldn't by an 8 year old Lamborghini if you want to look hot.

All of this is to say that I think Gallardos will continue to depreciate a little bit more. Perhaps not down into the 40k range, but maybe $10-$15,000 more. The ones posted above are all relatively low mileage. And while supercar mileage works differently, there is a lot of Audi in the Gallardo...

Ironically, the Lamborghini pedigree, such as it is, might be outweighed by the 'Supra effect' in terms of residual value; that is that the Gallardo has become the platform for high speed street racers (with a lot of money obviously) and it might keep the value high as they become sought after by tuners. Which is annoying because I think the Gallardo is perfect (for me) completely unmodified...ok maybe straight pipes. :)

*The Gallardo is a bit anomalous in that it's really the first commercially and critically successful secondary model in Lamborghini's portfolio, so in this regard it's a bit of a wild card.

This is a thread about the Huracan though, and my post is off topic.

I think they will continue dropping.

1. Historically, second-tier Lambos have profound depreciation. Jalpas typically run $20k to 40k.*
There's a few down near the $40K area, but most models still push $50K plus due to rarity. A $20K Jalpa is the equivalent of a $20K Maserati GT. Far from the norm of an example you'd actually buy.
2. There are a lot of Gallardos. Production numbers are very high. Half of Lamborghinis ever built are Gallardos (around 15,000 of them are running around)
Except the car has been updated 3 times over the course of 10 years, which devalues the previous model as owners start to trade in. I already posted what 2004 examples are going for with high mileage; $90K and leveling. The Huracan will not push that value down any further after 10 years, it will affect the 3rd facelift that was incorporated & drive them down a bit to the LP560-4 levels.
3. The argument could be made that the Gallardo was a lot better than the Jalpa and that despite it's high production numbers it's still a Lamborghini and therefore any further depreciation is unlikely. That hasn't stopped the quite universally loved Ferrari F355 from approaching the 40-60k range.
The F355 pushed down because of the 360 Modena, which has been pushed down due to F430, in turn thanks to the 458. F355 values aren't going to dip anymore & 360s likely will not either by this point.
The Gallardo wasn't universally loved. There is more than 3 times as many Gallardos as F355s.
Not even close. 13,992 Gallardos. 11,206 355 models: 4,915 355 Berlinettas, 2,577 355 GTSs and 3,714 355 Spiders.

Ferrari, historically, is a higher valued marque than Lamborghini, and that is quite clearly shown in auctions. The Huracan will be the next hot new thing, and I think it will make the Gallardo quite old news when it comes out. Lamborghinis are as much about the look (whats new and hot) as they are about performance. You wouldn't by an 8 year old Lamborghini if you want to look hot.
The problem with this idea is that the 2004 Gallardo was old news when the LP560-4 came out, even more so when the 2nd facelift came. The other issue is this attempt to compare the F355. Ferrari has built 2 generations of its MR V8 supercar in the same time frame Lamborghini usually builds one model. Comparing production numbers won't mean anything when you compare the actual amount of cars Ferrari produced for 2 generations in the same production time as the Gallardo:

Gallardo 2004-2014 - 13,992
F430 2005-2009 - 12,000 units including Scuds & 16M.
458 2009-2014 - 2,400 to the US alone (according to Ferrari of Denver that the US is allocated 600 a year). 2012 saw at least 4,350 examples produced.

Ferrari values fall because of the short time frame they push out the next model. You can't compare the Gallardo to the F355 either due to the era & amount of time between them that will affect said value; 5-11 years worth of time.
All of this is to say that I think Gallardos will continue to depreciate a little bit more. Perhaps not down into the 40k range, but maybe $10-$15,000 more. The ones posted above are all relatively low mileage. And while supercar mileage works differently, there is a lot of Audi in the Gallardo...
Those are not low mileage for a Gallardo; it's the equivalent of a C6 Corvette running 150,000 miles. And considering that 40,000 mile Gallardos are not very common, it should give an easy idea as to where the market for the Gallardo is still currently at; $110,000-$120,000+ for a decent example of the '04-'08 generation.

Mclaren, are you saying that the F355 value was affected by the 458 or that it wasn't?
It wasn't. That was just the order of events, not a chain reaction type deal. The last Ferrari that possibly affected the 355 was the F430's first years as owners rushed to trade in their 360s & flooded the market with them. The abundancy of used 360s for buyers to choose from possibly took a small took a small toll on the 355 market.

I am one of those in the camp hoping that the gallardos fall a good bit more. Looking to hopefully pick one up in 3 or 4 years for high speed road racing. If not, then it will have to be a GTR.

You may better off just buying a pre built example instead of waiting for the current crop to fall. They're at a steady point & could start making a small climb again as more & more people start to modify them and owners want a fresh untouched example. Esp. in 5 years when the Huracan will be well established.

There's a few pre built TT examples out there for under $200,000 that are a good value for what you get. Those are the ones that could fall even more as there's a chance many TT guys may shoot to have the Huracan (provided it proves as excellent a TT car).

Do not like the rear at all, it's got this kinda utilitarian space ship tron thingy...
It's similar to Avantador rear, but the Aventador looks like alien fighter ship, this Huracan makes me think of a ute/pickup.

Current special edition Gallardo's are still looking fantastic...mmm
ENpdJEc.jpg

HtV4Bg2.jpg

Not really current, though, considering both cars were 2nd generation models & that the Supertrofeo was really a widely produced example of the Blancpain edition.

Lots of swearing at the end of this video, be warned:

I find it strange that a fat redneck in shoddy clothes is driving a Lamborghini prototype; not exactly the kind of person I would expect Lamborghini would employ as their test driver. Something doesn't seem right.

And why did the Huracan driver call the Audi to block the photographer? Does Lamborghini not understand that if their brand-new car is going out on the streets without camouflage, everyone and their cousin will jump on the opportunity to take photos or video of it? It's strange that they actually had someone to act as a blocker.

I will add that all three parties (The Huracan driver, the Audi driver, and the photographer) broke laws in at least one way. The Huracan driver was speeding, attacked the photographer, and fled the scene. The Audi driver switched lanes without indicating multiple times, was speeding, and also drove erratically to block the view of the photographer. The photographer said he "pulled some maneuvers" to catch the Huracan (We, as viewers, can only assume what he did to follow the car), was speeding, and drove with the camera in his hand (Some will make the argument that he didn't have to look into the camera and he kept his eyes on the road). This doesn't look good for anyone, but most importantly, Lamborghini because of how unprofessional their drivers acted.

1) You will always find people in jobs you never assumed.

2) The guy followed the car for 45-60 minutes. Go find an exotic owner in your town, & follow him for 45-60 minutes doing anything to keep up with him. Now see if you don't find a pissed off driver eventually confronting you. Actually, go follow anyone for an hour & see if a gun isn't pulled on you asking what your problem is. The guy is a douchebag for trying to act like he's done nothing wrong.

Calling the cops to present them with video evidence of you harassing another motorist and breaking several traffic laws. Great idea.

Are they sure the Lamborghini was a test prototype and not a privately owned Lamborghini? I don't know if the Huracan's in production or not.

Surely all 3?

I think Audi (Via: Lamborghini) will come off worse though. Even if they don't actively control their human worker's minds 24/7...
Well yea all 3 but the 2 main guys are the real dumbasses, Guy following should have stopped following when it was clear the lambo driver wasnt happy with it, The lambo driver cant understand why he's being followed in a "lambo"

Are they sure the Lamborghini was a test prototype and not a privately owned Lamborghini? I don't know if the Huracan's in production or not.
They are in production, but no customer cars have been delivered.
Well yea all 3 but the 2 main guys are the real dumbasses, Guy following should have stopped following when it was clear the lambo driver wasnt happy with it, The lambo driver cant understand why he's being followed in a "lambo"
I'm sure he understands, but that's not a valid excuse. You follow an exotic owner for that long & they'll likely to start thinking you want more than a picture.

Getting a few min of video of is fine, its a brand new lambo that has been unseen on public roads. Going to the extent of making maneuvers to catch him then follow for 45min is overboard.

I had some kid filming me in the GTR on the highway and he had one hand on the wheel and the other recording from his phone, he started swerving and almost hit me and another car. I rolled down my window, gave him the finger and hammered it and lost him in about 5 seconds. A quick pic is ok but not when it impairs your ability to drive.

Getting a few min of video of is fine, its a brand new lambo that has been unseen on public roads. Going to the extent of making maneuvers to catch him then follow for 45min is overboard.

I had some kid filming me in the GTR on the highway and he had one hand on the wheel and the other recording from his phone, he started swerving and almost hit me and another car. I rolled down my window, gave him the finger and hammered it and lost him in about 5 seconds. A quick pic is ok but not when it impairs your ability to drive.
Thing is, it's a Hurucan. It's a pretty huge thing to see the new Lamborghini before anyone's driven it.

I'm not sure what the driver would have expected, I mean yeah it's frustrating but, like everything, it's a simple downside. Both were supreme idiots (or all three) because it's an overreaction on both halves (45 min chase and going ape over the chase in a Hurucan)

I remain impartial until either party puts forward their side of the story in detail.

Thing is, it's a Hurucan. It's a pretty huge thing to see the new Lamborghini before anyone's driven it.

It doesn't matter what it is, the guy filming is being a colossal dick by doing what he's doing.

I think the questionable editing is more than enough reason to question the guy. There's no reason I can think of for them to stop at the off-ramp near the end like they did, given what's in the video. Yeah, the Lambo driver was rude and aggressive, but it's plain to me we're not getting the full story.

If I could try to relate this back to the car...

It's funny to see that the Lamborghini driver continues to uphold the Lamborghini driver stereotype of Type-A personality douche. Lamborghini drivers should embrace the fame and attention their car gets them, because honestly if you buy a Lamborghini for any other reason, you're doing it wrong.

Doing stuff like this really helps the image...

I would get pissed too if someone was following me for that long. Some people just don't know when to stop. He is practically begging for an asswhooping.

1) You will always find people in jobs you never assumed.

2) The guy followed the car for 45-60 minutes. Go find an exotic owner in your town, & follow him for 45-60 minutes doing anything to keep up with him. Now see if you don't find a pissed off driver eventually confronting you. Actually, go follow anyone for an hour & see if a gun isn't pulled on you asking what your problem is. The guy is a douchebag for trying to act like he's done nothing wrong.

Though I agree, if it was that much of an issue then they should have called the cops on the Subaru driver instead of taking actions into their own hands. If he felt the guy was a threat after being followed for that long, that's who he should have called before taking his own action. Then the jack ass causing troubles on the highway would have got his. The bigger question is, what does a guy do for a living that allows him to at the drop of a hat follow a super car not even going in his directions because it's new...

The only thing I can respect the Lambo driver with is the fact that he didn't just lay down the gas and lose the camera guy instantly like he could have.

I find it strange that a fat redneck in shoddy clothes is driving a Lamborghini prototype; not exactly the kind of person I would expect Lamborghini would employ as their test driver. Something doesn't seem right.

Race Program Manager for Chevy Racing told us (SAE group I'm in) when she visited earlier this year that she got to test drive the new C6 and Z06 along with other vehicles to give feed back to the engineers. And supposedly many people get to do this type of road testing with in the company from what we were told. This guy could be someone with a decent title in Lamborghini North America and thus get to do the same thing. Drive the car and report back his findings. The only thing that is strange is sending out another car to bait away would bes like the camera man.

Last edited:
Back