Lamborghini Terzo Millennio concept to show up at EmTech MIT Conference

• Thread starter SiriusR
  • 47 comments
Russian Federation
Russian Federation
S15Fox
https://www.lamborghini.com/en-en/events/emtech-mit-conference

As said in a recent Lamborghini's post at Facebook, "Lamborghini will unveil its vision for the super sportscar of the future, in partnership with Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), at EmTech 2017 on Monday, November 6th. Stay tuned!"
Could this be Lamborghini's Vision GT entry?

Update: found some more info at EmTech's site:
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
12:00 Lunch and Networking

Special Session
Lamborghini “Terzo Millennio,” a concept for the “super sports car” of the future

Lamborghini has defined a vision for its future products and then set the path to realize this vision. The “Terzo Millennio” is a summary of the challenges to be overcome to make a Lamborghini Elettrica.

The first two steps, focused on the development of innovative energy storage systems and multifunctional materials for the vehicle’s body, will be discussed here. Lamborghini has partnered with the MIT Dinca Research Lab in the chemistry department and the MIT Laboratory for Manufacturing and Productivity in the department of mechanical engineering.

Last edited:
upload_2017-11-6_17-20-25.png

upload_2017-11-6_17-20-30.png

upload_2017-11-6_17-20-35.png

Bolded bits are important

The Millennio intends to do away with normal batteries, MIT instead looking into the use of supercapacitors for power. The next step is to develop a pack able to give lots of peak power, regenerate, and have limited degradation over the car’s lifetime. The collaboration with MIT aims to “overcome the limits of today’s technology and close the gap on conventional batteries’ energy density”. Some talk of ‘thinking outside the box’ has been deployed.

Whatever form this supercapacitor power comes from, it’ll be allied to a four-wheel-drive, four-motor setup, with a motor in each wheel. This, says Lamborghini, allows for lots of torque and moving energy by wire. Not only that, but putting motors in wheels means “freedom for designers and aerodynamicists”.

Ah yes, design and aero. You’ll have noticed that the Millennio looks otherworldly. The whole thing is based on a monocoque using Lambo’s forged composite tech, solely honed for aero. The body too will benefit from Lamborghini’s increasing expertise in carbonfibre structures (which means a lighter kerbweight). The plan is for this carbon body to also – somehow – act as an accumulator for energy storage. Maybe don’t touch it while its fully charged…

Moreover – and here’s a very, very neat party trick – Lamborghini and MIT want the Millennio to self-heal. That is, to automatically detect cracks and damages in the carbon structure and repair them via micro channels in the bodywork filled with ‘healing chemistries’. It’s practically Wolverine.

The final party trick? To drive itself. Not on a motorway slog (though it’ll do that too), but rather on a hot lap of say, Imola, to show the squidgy human driver the correct lines and corner entry/exit speeds. Then, when you set off, you’ll follow a ‘ghost’ car – just like in any driving game you care to mention – to see if you can match it.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/lamborghini-terzo-millennio-concept-revealed

It's outrageous, but it seems to be more cohesive than some of the other Lambo concepts over the last few years. I like it, provisionally.

Lambo without V10/12? :/
Will still be there. This is an alternative project that Lamborghini wants to dabble in for the next 3 years to prepare for the future. TheVerge has a great article (& pics!) of the concept.
https://www.theverge.com/transporta...i-terzo-millennio-electric-concept-car-photos
Yes, this would all mean an electric Lamborghini. But again, Reggiani stresses, that doesn’t mean Lamborghini is going entirely electric, or even hybrid necessarily. He admits the latter is likely, though he swears he won’t compromise on those beloved cylinders. If and when there’s a hybrid Lamborghini, it will still have an engine with a W or a V and double digits in the name. “It will be a big task,” he says, “but we live for this.”

Meanwhile I don't mind the type of engine at all, whether it runs or gasoline or electricity. As long as it's fast and fun to drive, I'm cool with it.
(though IMO rotors > cylinders)

Gotta say I dig almost everything about Terzo, except rims. I know, concept cars are supposed to look cool, but rims with so many lights (which are also probably quite fragile) that waste the car's precious energy are too much for me.
Also, a second article with a ton of photos, and not a single one of them is an interior shot? Oh, come on.

That thing looks bat:censored: insane and I love it.

I bet it accelerates like a stabbed rat, EV's can have incredible torque. The Tesla Model S in Ludicrous Mode showcases that well.

I never anticipated that MIT and Lamborghini would collaborate. This is incredible news for car and science enthusiasts alike. Let's cross our fingers that GT will run a story on this.

It looks like a mad and aggressive-looking version of the Aston VGT. Maybe their VGT car will be based on that design. Could make a nice Gr.1 car.

dp1001.jpg

Last edited:
All these hypercars just kind of blur together with their styling. I suppose that's to be expected, as it's rather function over form.

I also like how it's precisely 0.01mm above the ground (yeah, I know, it's a concept).

lamborghini_terzo_millennio_5.jpg

lamborghini_terzo_millennio_6.jpg

Last edited:
No you're not the only one.
Congratulations to Lamborghini for making the ugliest Lamborghini of all time!
ikr right its like they thought lets make it like Aston Martin VGT + Valkhyre or whatever don't remember the name now
& then realised 🤬 we don't help from Red bull

Im the only one finding it ugly as:censored:?
No you're not the only one.
Congratulations to Lamborghini for making the ugliest Lamborghini of all time!
I wouldn't call it "ugly", I'd say that "edgy" and "over-the-top" are more fitting adjectives. But then, that's the whole point of Lamborghini - making outrageous designs in both positive and negative ways ever since Countach was a thing.

I wouldn't call it "ugly", I'd say that "edgy" and "over-the-top" are more fitting adjectives. But then, that's the whole point of Lamborghinis - making outrageous designs in both positive and negative ways ever since Countach was a thing.
Nailed it! 👍

I wouldn't call it "ugly", I'd say that "edgy" and "over-the-top" are more fitting adjectives. But then, that's the whole point of Lamborghini - making outrageous designs in both positive and negative ways ever since Countach was a thing.
True but it is a bit too much for me

True but it is a bit too much for me
I believe that "(a bit) too much" is the kind of reaction Lamborghini is aiming to achieve. Just look at Veneno, Egoista, Sesto Elemento and Centenario.
(Lambo's mass produced models have to look "tamer" as they are supposed to sell in large numbers, so they have to be more appealing to an average customer)

I also like how it's precisely 0.01mm above the ground (yeah, I know, it's a concept).
"Elevations? What are elevations?" - Lamborghini Terzo Millennio, 2017

I believe that "(a bit) too much" is the kind of reaction Lamborghini is aiming to achieve. Just look at Veneno, Egoista, Sesto Elemento and Centenario.
(Lambo's mass produced models have to look "tamer" as they are supposed to sell in large numbers, so they have to be more appealing to an average customer)

"Elevations? What are elevations?" - Lamborghini Terzo Millennio, 2017
I mean too much in a negative way the examples you gave where positive at least for me

Back