Lamborghini URUS SUV

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 187 comments
He says, before immediately presuming to know.

I go to a few local cars and coffee, and there's a "collector" around here with a '05 Ford GT that has 9 or so miles on it, but from talking to owners, those owners are the exception, not the norm. And even if they're not being taken to track days, they're still being driven instead of sitting in a garage for prestige value alone, and a lot of people do a little more...spirited driving on the roads with their supercars than you'd think.

But how dare that man, having the audacity to use his road going Ferrari for anything other than lapping tracks.
Indeed how dare he! Sheesh.

Where's your wit about these posts?
The people buying this car won't be going off-road to begin with like the numerous Ford/Dodge/Chevy pickup owners. No different than other exotics that are bought for what they are, not what they can actually do.

I may or may not expect seeing something like this Urus being driven aggressively off-road like with with serious pickup trucks or like some Land Rovers or Range Rovers. I'm not even sure this thing will be tossed around like Rally Raid "cars." Maybe someone will be bonkers enough to come off with a rally raid version of this machine to compete in events like Dakar or something. This is surely something to keep tabs on.

My post is about what I see. When I was in and around exotic clubs in NYC, rarely was there a person taking their car to a track.

This Lamborghini appears its owners will go nowhere near the outback, Irish isles or lush rolling hills of the African deserts.

If Bentley Bentayga found enough buyers, the Urus will too. Good car for showing off and keeping up with automotive trends, but I hardly believe it will be capable of going off-road.

If Bentley Bentayga found enough buyers, the Urus will too. Good car for showing off and keeping up with automotive trends, but I hardly believe it will be capable of going off-road.

Why not? Because Lambo built it...even though it wouldn't be their first Utility Vehicle?

My post is about what I see. When I was in and around exotic clubs in NYC, rarely was there a person taking their car to a track.

Just because the people near you don't spend time at the track doesn't mean none of these things will ever see use off road. At just about any track day event, even the smaller ones, there are supercars to be found. I doubt anyone will go flying through the desert on a daily basis, but it's bound to happen every so often.

Just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

This Lamborghini appears its owners will go nowhere near the outback, Irish isles or lush rolling hills of the African deserts.

What, exactly, do you require of exotic car owners? What will satisfy you that the person who has earned the money and made the purchase is truly worthy of having done so in your eyes? Must their car be at the track? Must their SUV be in the outback or African deserts? It's not ok to take a high end SUV to the grocery store through a little snow, and maybe also when it's not snowing just because? It's not ok for someone to take their Ferrari to the grocery store so that they can have a pleasant Sunday afternoon with a car they enjoy and want to look at in the sun?

Eventually, off in the distant future, I'll be replacing my FX35 with a Macan I expect. I want something that can move through a few feet of snow, handle poor roads, maybe the occasional dirt road, but is still bonkers fun in the summer. For someone with 10 times as much money as me who wants the same thing, they might opt for something flashier and more exclusive, but that fills the same spot in their garage.

Do you want ALL owners to take it offroad? Do you have something against people not using their exotic cars a certain way? As far as I can tell, at least they are using them and not just storing them away as a trophy.

Who does though?

Those who live near those places. I live in a desert, I go off roading from time to time in said desert. Same with people in South Africa, back woods of Georgia, UAE and on and on. It's not a question of who does this type of thing, it's would they that I take fault with in his rhetoric. What's at issue is the sweeping notion that because it's high priced no one would dare use it for SUV activities like going off road, or better yet the owners aren't the type to do that sort of thing. That's silly, I could go online right now find tons of videos of expensive SUVs being carted about in deserts by rich playboy middle easterners...

Last edited:
Just because the people near you don't spend time at the track doesn't mean none of these things will ever see use off road. At just about any track day event, even the smaller ones, there are supercars to be found. I doubt anyone will go flying through the desert on a daily basis, but it's bound to happen every so often.

Just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
You don't say? Did I not mention more often than not, people will not take these cars off road. Read my post again. There are track days 15minutes from my house. That's silly to think I'd be blind to that.
For every exotic car sold, more than likely, it's a showpiece for the buyer.
The one that does take it to the track or off-road, obviously will.
Do you want ALL owners to take it offroad? Do you have something against people not using their exotic cars a certain way? As far as I can tell, at least they are using them and not just storing them away as a trophy.
Umm, you're both taking this to heart.
Why would you both think I'm one way about it. I clearly have examples as to why some will not use as intended.
"As far as I can tell, at least they are using them and not just storing them away as a trophy".
Good for them. I'm not hating the man in his 50s for living his life and just enjoying his car.
My brother has a Macan
daAS0qOh.jpg

He'll be 50 in December. After he got it, he did a One Lap of America, 10,500 miles in 3 1/2 weeks. Good car. He's not taking it to the track though.

I know what I'm NOT going to do, is go in circles for 15 pages debating why this new super SUV will probably never be used to go off road by its buyers, have a mod clean up said posts, start handing out warnings and told to move on.

Fair enough, and sorry for assuming that your were being judgemental. I've just been dealing with a lot of people who think supercars are nothing more than showpieces lately, so I've been a little touchy the past few days. :lol:

But I get what you mean and you're definitely right, a lot of these are going to be daily drivers and grocery getters at best, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do when they belong to someone who uses it as intended.

Also, your brother's Macan is gorgeous and those wheels are perfect for it. I also envy that trip and want to make one like it one day.

Why not? Because Lambo built it...even though it wouldn't be their first Utility Vehicle?
In fairness, the goals of both vehicles are vastly different; it took a decade for the LM002 to eventually be produced for the public after 2 failed attempts at building military interest.

Think Carrera GT or 288GTO Evo stories for comparison.

Fair enough, and sorry for assuming that your were being judgemental. I've just been dealing with a lot of people who think supercars are nothing more than showpieces lately, so I've been a little touchy the past few days. :lol:

But I get what you mean and you're definitely right, a lot of these are going to be daily drivers and grocery getters at best, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do when they belong to someone who uses it as intended.

Also, your brother's Macan is gorgeous and those wheels are perfect for it. I also envy that trip and want to make one like it one day.

If I misinterpreted what you said, then my mistake.
👍

I assume the Urus won't have soft suspension, high-profile tires and high ground clearance, which are all required to have decent off-road experience.

I assume the Urus won't have soft suspension, high-profile tires and high ground clearance, which are all required to have decent off-road experience.

I think you fail to take into consideration the massive VAG parts bin at their disposal, which includes some good Off-Road bits from both Audi and Volkswagen ;)

In fairness, the goals of both vehicles are vastly different; it took a decade for the LM002 to eventually be produced for the public after 2 failed attempts at building military interest.

Think Carrera GT or 288GTO Evo stories for comparison.

I know, I should have been more descriptive. I feel that Lambo are more than capable of making a high end luxury SUV that is still very capable of going off road. Especially when the other high end VAG manufactures, Bentley just did it, and magazines have been taking them off road. So why Lambo wouldn't be able to do the same being from VAG platform seen between Touareg/Bentayga,Cayenne,Q7 is where I take issue. @Matej give his reason but that seems quite limited for why we shouldn't expect them off road.

I know, I should have been more descriptive. I feel that Lambo are more than capable of making a high end luxury SUV that is still very capable of going off road. Especially when the other high end VAG manufactures, Bentley just did it, and magazines have been taking them off road. So why Lambo wouldn't be able to do the same being from VAG platform seen between Touareg/Bentayga,Cayenne,Q7 is where I take issue. @Matej give his reason but that seems quite limited for why we shouldn't expect them off road.

I think it's just the image the car projects, like a X5M or Cayenne Turbo S; it seems built more for speed than ruggedness. The Bentley is the last of these high market SUVs I would expect to see off-road use out of, so those are both cool videos to learn it's been put through its own tests.

I think you fail to take into consideration the massive VAG parts bin at their disposal, which includes some good Off-Road bits from both Audi and Volkswagen ;)
So why Lambo wouldn't be able to do the same being from VAG platform seen between Touareg/Bentayga,Cayenne,Q7 is where I take issue.
Lamborghini is a sports car manufacturer, so it wouldn't be unusual to try differentiate the Urus from other VAG products considerably. Orientation towards sports performance more than towards anything else seems like the only reasonable path to choose.

@Matej give his reason but that seems quite limited for why we shouldn't expect them off road.
Going off-road on low-profile tires is everything but limited reasoning. While all these modern SUVs can tackle off-road sections to a certain degree, I'm sure this doesn't leave positive impact on car's long-term condition. Even in the promotional video you posted above it is clearly that the car is not really suitable for anything tougher than snow or sand.

The Bentley, in the UK at least, should see plenty of field use from the country set. If going over rock crawls, then you wouldn't be looking at anything more than a Defender type vehicle for fear of ruining it.

That said, any of the large ones on proper tyres are more than likely very off road capable.

One more thing I forgot to mention:

I would recommend visiting several dedicated forums that deal with these type of vehicles specifically. On BMW forum for instance, I found numerous claims that suggest not using X5 for off-road duties. You should check them here and especially here - you will stumble across individuals who mentioned that even X5's official manual discourages owners from driving on "un-paved terrain"...

From my perspective, expensive SUVs provide these:
  • Huge passenger/cargo space with luxurious gadgets and materials
  • High seating position
  • Good towing capability
They may be able to run on sand or snow without any troubles, but that is what you can expect from all other regular AWD cars as well (many of which do not have low-profile tires), can't you? And the only reason why a journalist would take an expensive SUV vehicle for an off-road adventure and record a video would be because:
  • The car doesn't belong to him :D
  • People want to know whether bad-ass SUVs are really that bad-ass as they present themselves. And that has a lot to do with projected image of these vehicles @McLaren mentioned.

Last edited:
Lamborghini is a sports car manufacturer, so it wouldn't be unusual to try differentiate the Urus from other VAG products considerably. Orientation towards sports performance more than towards anything else seems like the only reasonable path to choose.

Which is why I demonstrated that they're an oddball when they tried to manufacture a military vehicle back in the 80s, and as McLaren pointed out, with little success. However, they did build the thing. The SUV being from Lambo doesn't mean anything other than it's from Lambo and you can expect high end and high price tags. They already moved to having a V8 tt instead of trade mark lambo engines, and really this SUV exterior wise is close to what you see from a Dakar rally raid vehicle, so with all that I don't see how it still wont be used for potential off road use.

Going off-road on low-profile tires is everything but limited reasoning. While all these modern SUVs can tackle off-road sections to a certain degree, I'm sure this doesn't leave positive impact on car's long-term condition. Even in the promotional video you posted above it is clearly that the car is not really suitable for anything tougher than snow or sand.

Well I mean they're not all promotional they're actually being tested outside the manufacture and by the manufacture, and I'm sure there is actual test footage from manufacture of the pre-production vehicle being pushed through the same conditions. This would be done, because of them creating an SUV capable of doing it, and wanting to ensure it doesn't break and they become liable. Pretty straight forward testing. Snow and sand are usually something no vehicle is capable of to a degree, because of specialized tires needed. I wouldn't even take the best of off road on the market SUVs to dunes unless I had sand/paddle tires to actually enjoy it. Hell I lived in a place 10 miles outside of Imperial sand dunes of California and when I'd take my dirt bike I couldn't ride very well unless I had a paddle tire on the back end.

The video shows what it needs to show that these aren't simply luxury vehicles parading as SUV for the ultra pampered who wouldn't dare be caught getting some dirt on a Tom Ford suit.

Also your suggestions in the most recent post you made are more suspect then the idea of them going off road. I've never seen X3-6 towing anything more than a roof rack of light luggage so the kids aren't congested from it clogging up the small back cargo space.

They already moved to having a V8 tt instead of trade mark lambo engines, and really this SUV exterior wise is close to what you see from a Dakar rally raid vehicle, so with all that I don't see how it still wont be used for potential off road use.
Times have changed since the LM002, so experience they had during that period won't be of much help now as they have different objectives/customers to please. I'm sure they will try to increase its road-going capabilities by some degree and you can't do that without compromising its off-road abilities.

Of course, the car hasn't been revealed yet so all we can do is speculate, but I think my prediction has strong foothold for reasons I mentioned previously. :)

And when I said the Urus won't be capable of going off-road, I meant on sections where low-profile tires and low ground clearance could only harm the car. Sure it will be able to tackle dunes or snow, but macadam and road irregularities? I think not.

Pretty straight forward testing. Snow and sand are usually something no vehicle is capable of to a degree, because of specialized tires needed. I wouldn't even take the best of off road on the market SUVs to dunes unless I had sand/paddle tires to actually enjoy it. Hell I lived in a place 10 miles outside of Imperial sand dunes of California and when I'd take my dirt bike I couldn't ride very well unless I had a paddle tire on the back end.

The video shows what it needs to show that these aren't simply luxury vehicles parading as SUV for the ultra pampered who wouldn't dare be caught getting some dirt on a Tom Ford suit.
But that is the best way of promoting the vehicle, isn't it? Nevertheless, I thought that you were using that video to prove how the Bentyaga could tackle whatever off-road conditions it faces, given how you posted it together with that other video where off-road conditions it faces are quite heavy. That is why I posted this:
Even in the promotional video you posted above it is clearly that the car is not really suitable for anything tougher than snow or sand.
And this one:
Also your suggestions in the most recent post you made are more suspect then the idea of them going off road. I've never seen X3-6 towing anything more than a roof rack of light luggage so the kids aren't congested from it clogging up the small back cargo space.
That is a bit awkward, I have seen quite a few Touaregs and all other alike SUVs towing things. Croatia is a tourist destination, so various people from other countries arrive with trailers, boats and stuff.

My last post actually responds to claims that expensive SUVs can tackle whatever terrain they face, which is far from real truth. It is not really related to this discussion, but I thought it was important to mention.

I actually love the trend that manufacturers are going after these exotic SUVs. It is an attempt to make a truly perfect vehicle. The idea is that we have the technology now to go after the holy grail of vehicles. A single vehicle that provides amazing driving performance in the sun on level roads, but also can hold passengers comfortably, carry cargo, handle snow and ice, and handle mud and rocks. In many ways it really is the ultimate challenge for a car manufacturer. Build a vehicle that can do everything and do it all exceptionally well.

It's so much harder and more rewarding than just building a great track car. Most people will kill themselves if they try to drive a car as fast as many of the sports cars these days at the track. There's a reason why you see so many E36 M3s at the track. They make a great platform for aftermarket parts, can be set up amazingly well for cheap, and aren't really fast enough to make you crap your pants at how close you came to killing yourself.

The high-end SUV market is more interesting to me than whether the current insane Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari laps a second faster than the competition.

A single vehicle that provides amazing driving performance in the sun on level roads, but also can hold passengers comfortably, carry cargo, handle snow and ice, and handle mud and rocks. In many ways it really is the ultimate challenge for a car manufacturer. Build a vehicle that can do everything and do it all exceptionally well.
Indeed, but I always feel that the actual purpose of building such cars is less valuable when you consider only a group of lucky individuals will be able to test drive these cars. That is probably because I usually support automotive solutions from which wider audience can benefit. :)

I do agree though that the SUV trend is very entertaining. I'm actually eager to find out how the Urus will turn out.

I actually love the trend that manufacturers are going after these exotic SUVs. It is an attempt to make a truly perfect vehicle. The idea is that we have the technology now to go after the holy grail of vehicles. A single vehicle that provides amazing driving performance in the sun on level roads, but also can hold passengers comfortably, carry cargo, handle snow and ice, and handle mud and rocks. In many ways it really is the ultimate challenge for a car manufacturer. Build a vehicle that can do everything and do it all exceptionally well.

It's so much harder and more rewarding than just building a great track car. Most people will kill themselves if they try to drive a car as fast as many of the sports cars these days at the track. There's a reason why you see so many E36 M3s at the track. They make a great platform for aftermarket parts, can be set up amazingly well for cheap, and aren't really fast enough to make you crap your pants at how close you came to killing yourself.

The high-end SUV market is more interesting to me than whether the current insane Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari laps a second faster than the competition.

I've never thought of it in that way before, but now I've read it, it makes perfect sense.

Indeed, but I always feel that the actual purpose of building such cars is less valuable when you consider only a group of lucky individuals will be able to test drive these cars. That is probably because I usually support automotive solutions from which wider audience can benefit. :)

As with all technology, it works its way down.

Times have changed since the LM002, so experience they had during that period won't be of much help now as they have different objectives/customers to please. I'm sure they will try to increase its road-going capabilities by some degree and you can't do that without compromising its off-road abilities.

Sure it would, understanding basic off road capabilities is a good working point. My example has nothing to do with trying to please customers. Rather just making a vehicle that has the ability to do some type of adverse conditional driving.

Of course, the car hasn't been revealed yet so all we can do is speculate, but I think my prediction has strong foothold for reasons I mentioned previously. :)

Yes but said reasons are limited, and have been disputed since the Lambo isn't all that special anymore compared to the world it was showcased to back in what 2012? Also we have details of the vehicle and a prototype to base off of.

And when I said the Urus won't be capable of going off-road, I meant on sections where low-profile tires and low ground clearance could only harm the car. Sure it will be able to tackle dunes or snow, but macadam and road irregularities? I think not.

Well perhaps not be so vague? As has been said ride height suspension is pretty old stuff, so is tire deflation/inflation on cars of high end as well as price. I mean a 300k vehicle should have these things...be pretty disappointing if it didn't.

But that is the best way of promoting the vehicle, isn't it? Nevertheless, I thought that you were using that video to prove how the Bentyaga could tackle whatever off-road conditions it faces, given how you posted it together with that other video where off-road conditions it faces are quite heavy. That is why I posted this:

And this one:

That is a bit awkward, I have seen quite a few Touaregs and all other alike SUVs towing things. Croatia is a tourist destination, so various people from other countries arrive with trailers, boats and stuff.

My last post actually responds to claims that expensive SUVs can tackle whatever terrain they face, which is far from real truth. It is not really related to this discussion, but I thought it was important to mention.

That would assume that the journos they give the SUV to, are being paid off to show it off road and being put through a bit of difficulty. I think the videos actually don't show promotional material but an actual high end suv doing off road capable feats.

I've seen Touaregs tow stuff yes, I was exclusively talking about the BMWs, I think it possible being who BMW is not building a vehicle for anything but luxury. Hence why they don't want to see owners off road or tow with them. I never saw any of the X3-6 anything more than a cross over. Not even an SUV but more car in that cross over sense, which could explain why they they're selective with the use. All in all I've seen various SUV towing stuff, even Rovers but I've hardly seen cross over types. So that's why I found the example more silly than it being used in simple off road camp ground stuff.

I guess when you think of sporty SUVs, you normally think on and off road usage. To me, I'm reminded of the Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG (like in "Test Drive Unlimited 2") or the BMW X5 Le Mans as far as performance SUVs are concerned. This Urus would surely get time on tarmac if I had one. However, what if I wanted to take one off-road at some fine off-road areas here in Texas? I probably would. I don't know if I'd want to challenge this to more challenging terrain like in the Texas Hill Country, but this Urus probably wouldn't be too bad with SOME off-road usage.

Back