Lamborghini URUS SUV

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 187 comments
@LMSCorvetteGT2 I think we're slightly straying from the topic here, so I'll return to the main point with these:
Also we have details of the vehicle and a prototype to base off of.
Which is why it shouldn't be hard to estimate true off-road capability of the Urus. Even by looking at the front side of the car, ground clearance, undercarriage and tires I can tell going off-road would do more harm than use.

But the next part is even more important:

Well perhaps not be so vague?
I do agree I made a mistake there 👍 (it is apparent now that we have reached that far), but I also think you automatically deduced I was claiming the car wouldn't be able to go off-road at all. That is not true, it is obvious that the Urus will be capable of going off-road simply because all cars can go off-road, so why the Urus would be an exception? Nobody reasonable would deny that fact.

I'm just trying to prove the Urus won't be able to off-road to a degree many people expect. And that leads us to my statements above; I think I provided enough arguments why would off-roading be dangerous for Urus, especially the extreme type ones we were able to watch on the first video you posted previously.

That would assume that the journos they give the SUV to, are being paid off to show it off road and being put through a bit of difficulty. I think the videos actually don't show promotional material but an actual high end suv doing off road capable feats.
They may be paid to prove the SUV is really tough and can do everything, but they may also be testing (for free) if the SUV is really as tough as the manufacturer claims.

Whatever the reason is, the driving on the first video is not healthy for the car and I think the off-road conditions presented in the second video depict to what degree the Bentyaga should be used off-road.
I was exclusively talking about the BMWs, I think it possible being who BMW is not building a vehicle for anything but luxury. Hence why they don't want to see owners off road or tow with them. I never saw any of the X3-6 anything more than a cross over. Not even an SUV but more car in that cross over sense, which could explain why they they're selective with the use.
But in what way is the Urus different from the BMW X3-6? It can only be worse off-roading wise. Would you then agree Lamborghini should be selective with the use of the Urus? Will Urus' owners try to persuade their cars to off-road where they shouldn't be off-roading even though both logic and the manufacturer suggest otherwise?

Nevertheless, the second underlined part above is important, everything else isn't. I hope things are clear now. :)

I don't see how it can be worse, you've yet to address the easy possibilities of adjustable ride height and tire inflation/deflation from within. But as you've clarified in the post prior, you were actually suggesting more than you had originally put forth so I understand where you're coming from. My point is people will see the ride height, the materials used and then think...well this is an SUV shaped sports car not an actual SUV. I counter that with, what if it's an SUV at the most extreme and sold for that price to give you an experience of a road going exotic rally raider. All the upper dakar cars (yes the SUV/trucks are referred to cars), they run light weight materials like carbon, have unique profiles and use strange configurations. All for the benefit of a different (competitive) off road experience.

I don't see how it can be worse, you've yet to address the easy possibilities of adjustable ride height and tire inflation/deflation from within.
In case the Urus gets those (as far as I know, it hasn't been confirmed yet) it will need to come with adjustable suspension as well to make a good use of the two. It would be unusual for Lambo to deliver these, but everything is possible today, so we'll see what happens.

Nevertheless, low-profile tire is a low-profile tire and I'm sure it can't beat tires with more profile regardless of how many expensive devices you put in. I wouldn't dare to travel over macadam with the Urus no matter what.
My point is people will see the ride height, the materials used and then think...well this is an SUV shaped sports car not an actual SUV. I counter that with, what if it's an SUV at the most extreme and sold for that price to give you an experience of a road going exotic rally raider. All the upper dakar cars (yes the SUV/trucks are referred to cars), they run light weight materials like carbon, have unique profiles and use strange configurations. All for the benefit of a different (competitive) off road experience.
I won't deny some people will look at the Urus that way, but from my perspective that doesn't seem very likely. Given how many people know anything about Dakar and Lambo in general, I would rather say people expect from the Urus to be a SUV with characteristics of a high-performance sports car.

But I may be wrong. We'll see what happens in the end, who will score a point.

In case the Urus gets those (as far as I know, it hasn't been confirmed yet) it will need to come with adjustable suspension as well to make a good use of the two. It would be unusual for Lambo to deliver these, but everything is possible today, so we'll see what happens.

Well I mean Lambo building an SUV is unusual in itself...

Nevertheless, low-profile tire is a low-profile tire and I'm sure it can't beat tires with more profile regardless of how many expensive devices you put in. I wouldn't dare to travel over macadam with the Urus no matter what.

Seems extreme, considering the Bentley is probably the closest thing to what the Urus is (other than the Maserati), and it went over more difficult terrain in the posted videos.

I won't deny some people will look at the Urus that way, but from my perspective that doesn't seem very likely. Given how many people know anything about Dakar and Lambo in general, I would rather say people expect from the Urus to be a SUV with characteristics of a high-performance sports car.

But I may be wrong. We'll see what happens in the end, who will score a point.

Well people in the price range of the Lambo, probably know of dakar. Dakar has always been a rich persons sport and if they are modeling a luxury-super suv that also is capable to a degree off road, why not look to that sport. Where it's quite different and exotic already in how vehicles are built.

Score a point? This has nothing to do with right or wrong, just the sweeping logic that this can't or wont be seen off road or that people who buy upper range SUV don't know what off road means and on and on. It's the stereotypical argument that I'm just debating.

Seems extreme, considering the Bentley is probably the closest thing to what the Urus is (other than the Maserati), and it went over more difficult terrain in the posted videos.
That still doesn't mean that type of driving can't hurt the car. The reason why SUV owners on dedicated forums are far more cautious with off-roading adventures (as we could have seen from the links I provided above) is because they spend more time with the car and are actually far more aware of the danger terrain can present to a car.

Journalists (in general) are there to test the car, check out if manufacturer's claims are true and kill or confirm prejudices people put on the line. I certainly don't expect them to say "Yes, the Bentyaga can climb mountains and run all over the place. We can't confirm though, if this kind of driving will hurt the car after a while." This is specifically reserved for owners who drive the car for months or years...

Imagine a small European crossover. Yes, it will pull the trailer if you tell it to do it and it will go over macadam with ease, but you can't tell right at this instant if this treatment will or won't negatively affect the car's chassis, tires, etc.
Score a point? This has nothing to do with right or wrong, just the sweeping logic that this can't or wont be seen off road or that people who buy upper range SUV don't know what off road means and on and on. It's the stereotypical argument that I'm just debating.
Our claims differs. That is why one of us will be closer to truth once the Urus appears on sale. We started this discussion with assumptions, so some of them won't be proved while some of them will. The one who will be "more right" in the end initially assumed better (hence the scoring phrase). :)

Well people in the price range of the Lambo, probably know of dakar. Dakar has always been a rich persons sport and if they are modeling a luxury-super suv that also is capable to a degree off road, why not look to that sport. Where it's quite different and exotic already in how vehicles are built.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Most Lamborghini buyers such as Hollywood megastars or rich businessmen are less likely to know huge amount about motorsport let alone care much about driving a purposely built off-road racing car that has been given the name of a French crossover through the middle of nowhere. Some might, just like with basically every other price range, but definitely not the majority of them.

I'm not getting around so well anymore--I have a bent ayga.

:odd:

Sounds like you should have a doctor look into that. Also ask him why Bentley named their SUV that as well.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Most Lamborghini buyers such as Hollywood megastars or rich businessmen are less likely to know huge amount about motorsport let alone care much about driving a purposely built off-road racing car that has been given the name of a French crossover through the middle of nowhere. Some might, just like with basically every other price range, but definitely not the majority of them.

Dakar is like Monaco, plenty of hollywood people pay money to go see a race, they probably couldn't care about other than the allure, and exposure of a rich lifestyle. Same thing is shown with Dakar rallys which was a big reason why normal people of Africa were against them, just Rich people destroying the natural land. Also what is the Majority of them, if it's a selling point they'll know, and in reality it's a small production so who's to say.

It seems equally silly to think just because they're rich people they wont have some kind of idea or be informed by the manufacture if that was a key goal by them.
That still doesn't mean that type of driving can't hurt the car. The reason why SUV owners on dedicated forums are far more cautious with off-roading adventures (as we could have seen from the links I provided above) is because they spend more time with the car and are actually far more aware of the danger terrain can present to a car.

Journalists (in general) are there to test the car, check out if manufacturer's claims are true and kill or confirm prejudices people put on the line. I certainly don't expect them to say "Yes, the Bentyaga can climb mountains and run all over the place. We can't confirm though, if this kind of driving will hurt the car after a while." This is specifically reserved for owners who drive the car for months or years...

By that standard sure any off road driving can hurt any vehicle even those build for it. It's a bit of an obvious point to make. I'm not here to argue if it will hurt them, that's your tangent. I'm talking about the notion of it ever being used to off road, and how these upper super SUV are just parading as SUV. I don't believe that, and I've done my part to prove it thus far.

Imagine a small European crossover. Yes, it will pull the trailer if you tell it to do it and it will go over macadam with ease, but you can't tell right at this instant if this treatment will or won't negatively affect the car's chassis, tires, etc.

Sure you can, if you plan to actually tow with it you either ask the manufacture or look in the owners manual. It will give towing capacity that are acceptable for said vehicle. You go beyond that and you run a risk, you do the recommended and you'll be fine.

Our claims differs. That is why one of us will be closer to truth once the Urus appears on sale. We started this discussion with assumptions, so some of them won't be proved while some of them will. The one who will be "more right" in the end initially assumed better (hence the scoring phrase). :)

I mean if the Urus can't do what the Bentayga and Levante do then oh well, the point of my original post was to eliminate the inane idea that just because rich people buy these, it one means they aren't off road capable, or two wont ever be used off road. And three aren't capable even if suggested cause they don't have large tires and super soft suspension...talk to any 2500-4500 diesel truck owner, they're far more difficult to off road than these.

Last edited:
Back