Large day one patch!

• Thread starter Spagetti69
  • 497 comments
Oh man! I'm so infuriated that I'll be able to have the game earlier! Downloading a patch on day one is unacceptable!

Sarcasm aside, do the people using this reasoning even understand how flawed it is? Even if they delayed the game (which they don't want to because they're trying to keep to their deadline this time) we would have a day one patch because they WILL NOT stop developing the game after it goes gold.

You should be happy they're going to support the game and get you the product in a state that you'd otherwise have to wait multiple weeks for, because of a new printing schedule. What you're saying by "I'd prefer a delay" is "I would rather the people with adequate internet not get the update before me." If you don't have an internet connection, then that is unfortunate, but you can always wait for the XL edition.

Imari
There is such a thing as optional surgery. The cosmetic operations spring to mind.

In that case, you CHOSE that surgery, that hospital, that doctor....do your research on healthcare facilities/game developers before you get that nose job next time

- Michael Jackson 👍

In that case, you CHOSE that surgery, that hospital, that doctor....do your research on healthcare facilities/game developers before you get that nose job next time

- Michael Jackson 👍

So, no such thing as a shoddy product then? All the consumer's fault for daring to expect what was advertised?

How's the matchmaking going in GT5?

Imari
So, no such thing as a shoddy product then? All the consumer's fault for daring to expect what was advertised?

How's the matchmaking going in GT5?

The game hasn't released, and won't be for another 2 months......what has been advertised that you aren't getting? Kaz touched base on what NOT to expect right away.. You continuously speak on what PD doesn't keep their word on, but loathe when they eliminate that allegation by laying a few cards on the table beforehand so they're not misleading anyone ...... Why feel some type of way about something you've been foretold? Is gt6 a shoddy product to you? If so, why spend soo much keyboard time on a product that you have nothing positive to say about? Everyone is well aware of your stance, but your post count on the subject implies a much deeper feeling than "just a different opinion".... For example I love music, but I have nothing positive to say about a certain artist...I won't follow their forum/webpage and debate every fan though.....get where I'm going with this?

Last edited:
they had how many years and GT5 wasn't complete. Kaz hasn't done himself any favors in the time and schedule department.
This subject has been discussed to death, and it's not like GT5 had to be set aside from time to time in order to accomplish other tasks. GT PSP for one, Tourist Trophy for another. GT6 is being birthed in a much more normal environment this time.

As I mentioned in the news section, I'm much happier with a game getting improvements over time versus waiting at least two years for them, likely more. Seriously, what would your response be in a situation like this??

Kaz: Well, I have a working Livery Editor right now we're playing with in our studio, but it wasn't working completely when GT6 was being released. But... you know, people complain about all these patches, and the game not being complete on day one... maybe it would be good to reserve this for GT7 on a much more powerful PS4...

World: Please please PLEASE RELEASE IT IN A PATCH!!

Kaz: We finally got a damage build which is working pretty well. It's fairly comprehensive concerning mechanical problems, and looks fairly realistic...

World: Please please PLEASE RELEASE IT IN A PATCH!!@1

Kaz: We managed to secure the many FIA GT Class racing licenses, and we could possibly implement a number of offline racing series in GT6...

World: KAZ PLEEEEEAAZE?!?!?!?!

Should I continue? ;)

And as for that "those without intranets are hosed" thing, lookit. If you're buying GT6, you have to be living in North Korea if you don't have a SINGLE access point to free internet SOMEWHERE. Have you noticed that our friend above, Shlagem, who lives in Lebanon?? And USB drives are dirt cheap. A heck of a lot less than a game. So this is just another whine meme.

By the way, I'd like to voice my agreement with my friend McLOVIN above.

More likely you thought he was being elitist and thinks no game can compete. Which is not what he meant

Not likely. I'm just more resistant to the Kaz kool-aid than you are. Its effects have stopped working on me a couple years back.

Because the game has to go gold weeks before launch day, I'm not surprised with this patch. There's things that Kaz will never finish, so he just wants to work right up until launch day, and beyond. This patch better not come at a cost, and I'm not expecting it to (it's not DLC, it's a patch). What it'll add, who knows? All it can really be is a new minor feature, or updates to certain features that already work well enough for release day.

Not likely. I'm just more resistant to the Kaz kool-aid than you are. Its effects have stopped working on me a couple years back.

I don't drink kool aid. I don't drink Kaz. You don't know what his statement meant- pretty obvious if you resort to silly statements like this.

kool8.jpg

I don't drink kool aid. I don't drink Kaz. You don't know what his statement meant- pretty obvious if you resort to silly statements like this.

srs business this internet discussion thing
I especially like the part where I got silly.

...get where I'm going with this?

I understand very well. You're part of the "if you don't like GT, then you might as well just get out" crowd.

That's never been a valid response, and it's not about to start being one now.

I like GT. I didn't like GT5, and I sure don't like how GT6 is turning out.

I understand very well. You're part of the "if you don't like GT, then you might as well just get out" crowd.

That's never been a valid response, and it's not about to start being one now.

+1,000!

You see some very odd responses on this site, and that's one of the worst I see (sometimes).

+1,000!

You see some very odd responses on this site, and that's one of the worst I see (sometimes).

When I was a kid my Mom used to say, "If you don't like it, lump it". That's what I hear every time I see someone say words to the effect of, "If you don't like it don't buy it"

srs business this internet discussion thing
I especially like the part where I got silly.

Your meme is tired, you should give it a rest. You're not silly, just your assumptions on Kaz's statement of "no competition".

Unfortunately, in the end result, we will at least, have to live it, or don't buy it.

I don't care for the choice much either, but there aren't any others.

Whether the game is being patched, due to a disc production log jam, as Amar suggests, or some other, who knows what reason, thats the way it is.

I'm just wondering, what a big first day patch may have done for GT5.

A lot probably, if it had the right ingredients.

Most likely, the large day one patch can only be an improvement to the game, so for what ever the reason, at this point, I can only judge it as a positive.

The game hasn't released, and won't be for another 2 months......what has been advertised that you aren't getting? Kaz touched base on what NOT to expect right away.. You continuously speak on what PD doesn't keep their word on, but loathe when they eliminate that allegation by laying a few cards on the table beforehand so they're not misleading anyone ...... Why feel some type of way about something you've been foretold? Is gt6 a shoddy product to you? If so, why spend soo much keyboard time on a product that you have nothing positive to say about? Everyone is well aware of your stance, but your post count on the subject implies a much deeper feeling than "just a different opinion".... For example I love music, but I have nothing positive to say about a certain artist...I won't follow their forum/webpage and debate every fan though.....get where I'm going with this?

Just No.

All members are welcome to take part in any thread as long as they follow the AUP, no part of which states "if you don't like xx then keep it to yourself"!

As such please refrain from even suggesting such a thing to other members.

That's something I can't quite understand. I was a fan of GT1-4. I played GT5 for almost a year offline only, and while there was obviously room for improvement in a number of aspects, the progress from GT4 was fascinating nonetheless. When I finally opened up to online racing, it opened up a whole new world of Gran Turismo for me and it kept me busy since then. And that's what I think GT5's merit will be - it opened up GT to online play.

GT6, from what I've seen so far, takes care of many of the faults that GT5 has, so how that can be a bad thing, I do not know.

Why feel some type of way about something you've been foretold? Is gt6 a shoddy product to you? If so, why spend soo much keyboard time on a product that you have nothing positive to say about? Everyone is well aware of your stance, but your post count on the subject implies a much deeper feeling than "just a different opinion".... For example I love music, but I have nothing positive to say about a certain artist...I won't follow their forum/webpage and debate every fan though.....get where I'm going with this?
First of all, this is a discussion forum, not a circle jerk.

Secondly, why shouldn't a long-time fan of a series say what he or she thinks about certain things, unlike in the artist scenario where you're just deliberately baiting?

Great news for those with internet.
Bad news for those without internet, slow internet and/or internet usage restrictions who want a day one purchase.

It's good that the game can always evolve, and is definitely a nod towards what to expect on the next gen consoles. But on the other hand, in the past people bought consoles for simplicity, a tiny shame that some of that simplicity is being taken away.

I've always believed that people complained so much about GT5 "failures" because of the time it took to be developed, and all of the hype people put on it (and I think nobody was wrong thinking that way).

What I mean is that people put sooooo much expectations on GT5 that some unrealistic things just weren't in the game. And because of that people think GT6 is going to suck because all the stuff in the world that isn't on GT5 won't be there.

I don't get it, really. Why would a download of a patch over the internet be a problem? Yes there are some people with no or poor internet but have you looked at broadband penetration in the relevant markets? Have a look at the map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FixedBroadbandInternetPenetrationWorldMap.svg

Is it really such a big problem to download even a larger patch? With the availability and penetration of broadband connections we have in 2013? Or are some people just looking for problems to point out?

No, I'm sure some of the expectancy come from the fact that PD is one of, if not the biggest 1st party developers for the Playstation platform, and one of the première racing game developers in the world, not to mention some of the wealthiest second to only the NFS franchise as a whole?

That's a big weight to carry and people expect they should live up to the title they have earned. Not really unfair IMO, their product should not be exempt from any criticism.

Add that to the fact a few things they actually claimed would be in the game wasn't at launch, the CG trailers and dubbed sound they still to this day use in trailers also had an effect in the long haul.

Then factor in teams with 1/10 the budget Sony gave them are doing things GT5 really should have, but doesn't.

No, I'm sure some of the expectancy come from the fact that PD is one of, if not the biggest 1st party developers for the Playstation platform, and one of the première racing game developers in the world, not to mention some of the wealthiest second to only the NFS franchise as a whole?

That's a big weight to carry and people expect they should live up to the title they have earned. Not really unfair IMO, their product should not be exempt from any criticism.

Add that to the fact a few things they actually claimed would be in the game wasn't at launch, the CG trailers and dubbed sound they still to this day use in trailers also had an effect in the long haul.

Then factor in teams with 1/10 the budget Sony gave them are doing things GT5 really should have, but doesn't.
How? What are you thinking the budget does and doesn't consist of?

It's odd that you're implying sound improvements are money-driven similar to how others are thinking that adding more employees will surely improve the sounds. There's so much I want to say and explicitly explain, but I can't. One of them being about the quality of the sounds, not just the engine sounds, are during gameplay and replays.

How? What are you thinking the budget does and doesn't consist of?

It's odd that you're implying sound improvements are money-driven similar to how others are thinking that adding more employees will surely improve the sounds. There's so much I want to say and explicitly explain, but I can't. One of them being about the quality of the sounds, not just the engine sounds, are during gameplay and replays.

Newsflash..the world is money driven. More money = more people working on the game = more stuff gets done. That's how it works in the business world.

Last edited:
I'm curious what you think that map means in relation to your point, since it includes everything from 20% to 100% penetration in one large group.

20% of the entire population not just internet users. The group is that large because a 20% considered a very high penetration already and that is not counting mobile broadband access which is even higher nowadays.

Here is a wikipedia entry with more details.

What I am saying is that the broadband penetration is high enough to consider a 1GB download not a major problem.

Back