Launch Title..?

• Thread starter xhannibalx
  • 84 comments
I'm getting on in life (58) I cant wait much longer if I buy a PS5 and then have to wait 2 years I could be dead..!!

In my case I'd take that equation the other way round and the same it happened to me for GT Sport and the PS4 : I'll get the PS5 when Gran Turismo 7 will be released probably sometimes during 2021, but I'm prepared to do so before x-mas 2020.

We can try to guess as hard as we can about a releasing date for GT7, I'm quite sure PD has no precise idea of it themselves, despite the fact they must be working very hard to make GT 7 a launch title. And they won't tell until the first blu-rays would be pressed at the factory.

If it was going to be a launch title, or even launch window, they would have given a vague approximation of a release date for them to miss by several years.

The trailer didn't even have that much.
GT7 had the longest 1st party trailer alongside R&C. One of only a handful of titles with a full gameplay segment.

No launch titles have been announced. Let alone had in-depth previews.

I'm betting that GT7 will be a launch title. Right now there are plenty of theories that Series X is gonna have a new Forza Motorsport either on launch or Post launch. it would give GT7 a reason to launch to compete with Forza. on top of that there really isnt a big amount of triple A title launches besides Spider-man (we aren't even sure if its a new game or an expansion) as well as leaks as far back as 2018 saying GT7 will release on launch day.

Ive seen plenty of people saying the game will take forever to develop but you really need to look at the similarities between sport and 7. The hud, the cars and the tracks are all the same besides ps5 enhancements. which makes GT Sport: Gran Turismo 7 Prologue. which would also state that GT7 has been in development for over 7 years since GT6 released.

Personally I think its a launch title...

I think it will come out in June/July 2021. Sony probably wants to spread their first party games out over 2021 and not have multiple of them come out at the same time. Having multiple games with the Coronavirus situation could hurt sales because people just might not be able to buy 2 $60/$70 games with a $500 console. Also GT Sport is supposed to have the Porsche VGT coming out towards the end of this year. So I don’t think GT7 will be a launch title. Spiderman Miles Morales is easily a bigger console seller and would probably overshadow GT7. GT7 definitely needs its own 2 month window.

I think it will come out in June/July 2021. Sony probably wants to spread their first party games out over 2021 and not have multiple of them come out at the same time. Having multiple games with the Coronavirus situation could hurt sales because people just might not be able to buy 2 $60/$70 games with a $500 console. Also GT Sport is supposed to have the Porsche VGT coming out towards the end of this year. So I don’t think GT7 will be a launch title. Spiderman Miles Morales is easily a bigger console seller and would probably overshadow GT7. GT7 definitely needs its own 2 month window.

Out of all the first party games showcased, the ones that'll sell the most consoles are Spiderman Miles Morales, HFW and GT7. HFW is already known to be targeting a 2021 release date, and Spiderman is already known to be a launch title, but the caveat is that the game itself isn't going to be that big (not as large as the standalone Spiderman game, around the same scope as Uncharted Lost Legacy), which could mean Sony are willing to drop a couple first party games at launch to help bring a larger audience in.

I've got a few doubts that GT7 will release this year (performance issues, HUD being outdated, COVID based setbacks, etc), but at the same time, it was one of the only first party games shown that had an extended gameplay segment (Spiderman didn't have as much gameplay shown, and that's meant to be releasing like 4 months from now). If it's not a launch title, I definitely think it'll release in the launch window. I doubt the game is more than 18 months away from release

It would be a real "push" for the new console to release a title like GT. But the history tell us that PD is a little slow to catch an opening like this.

GT7 is going to be a system seller for quite a few people. PS5 is the first console I'm considering to get at launch but if I don't then it's most certainly going to happen when GT7 releases, just as I only bought a PS4 when Uncharted 4 came out in 2016 (three years after the PS4's release). Sony is well aware of this and has great interest in platform exclusive titles to release as close to launch as possible. However the fact that we didn't get a release date in the recent trailer despite how close we are to the PS5's launch indicates that this is not going to be the case for GT7.

Jim Ryan has already stated PS5 will have a compelling exclusive line-up for launch. He also stated development hasn’t been delayed by Covid.

No PS5 launch title has been dated yet. Let alone had in-depth previews. I’m expecting at least 3-4 of the 1st party titles shown to be launch games. My money is on GT7, R&C, Demon Souls and Returnal. I’m thinking Miles Morales and LBP are December/Christmas releases.

Today we also hear Sony is doubling early production of PS5. Clearly they see demand out there. I suspect they are also pretty confident in their software line-up to sustain that demand.

I prefer GT7 not be a launch title, unless people want to pay yet another half done GT again with updates to complete it years later. That's become such a trend with PD nowadays that you mind as well wait for a sale to get the complete package.

I really don't see this GT being a launch title at all, especially knowing PD and their history.

I prefer GT7 not be a launch title, unless people want to pay yet another half done GT again with updates to complete it years later. That's become such a trend with PD nowadays that you mind as well wait for a sale to get the complete package.
Well, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it), live service titles are a strong trend in the industry right now (Forza being one of them) so it wouldn't surprise me if PD continued doing what they did with Sport. And honestly, as long as it's free, I prefer it this way. It keeps me playing every month or so. But I can also see how it is a problem for those with busy lives and such. =/ (Or so I'm hearing. *shrug*)

Eh, besides, didn't Kaz say he saw GT potentially becoming a service, anyway?

Well, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it), live service titles are a strong trend in the industry right now (Forza being one of them) so it wouldn't surprise me if PD continued doing what they did with Sport. And honestly, as long as it's free, I prefer it this way. It keeps me playing every month or so. But I can also see how it is a problem for those with busy lives and such. =/ (Or so I'm hearing. *shrug*)

Eh, besides, didn't Kaz say he saw GT potentially becoming a service, anyway?

It can't remain free though. Games as a service needs an income to be viable.

GT7 had the longest 1st party trailer alongside R&C. One of only a handful of titles with a full gameplay segment.
They talked about Gran Turismo for nearly 20 minutes straight in 2006, with multiple full gameplay segments and multiple trailers and even a keynote from Kaz himself. I believe the game itself was even playable on the show floor. How long was it before a GT game actually came out?

They announced GT Sport at an expo in in 2015 with a trailer mentioning some of the FIA features and stuff that would be in it and announced a date for a public beta. They gave it an even bigger showing at an expo in 2016 (after the beta was cancelled in order to make its 2016 release date), a full suite of information about the game structure and features, a press roundtable discussion with Kaz and a release date of November of that year. Then they gave it another trailer that was longer than the one GT7 had at E3 2016. Despite having all that information, far and away more than anything GT7 has had so far, it missed its actual given release date by 11 months and came out two and a half years after it was first announced.

So forgive me if having a 3 minute trailer and no release date at all doesn't inspire confidence that it's somehow going to make it out in the probably-November timeframe that the PS5 is probably going to release.

No launch titles have been announced. Let alone had in-depth previews.
Other games have had release windows given for them. Other games have already been given boxart.

Last edited:
Hm, true. I mean, that's why they added microtransactions in Sport after all.

They added the microtransactions because people used to sell certain cars online shortly after GT5 came out. I particularly remember a guy who sold the Red Bull X2010 for ~70 Euros a piece on ebay. That's why PD swiftly limited the option to transfer cars to other players and outright removed it from GT6 onwards. And since they recognized there was a decent number of players who were prepared to pay for their cars with real money, microtransactions were added instead.

Other games have had release windows given for them. Other games have already been given boxart.
We’ve only heard Horizon FW is a 2021 release and Miles Morales is Holiday 2020. Likewise, we’ve only see Miles Morales PS5 boxart.

No PS5 release date or launch line-up details. Be it 1st or 3rd Party. With GoT releasing this week. I suspect all Sony’s focus will then be on PS5.

Back