Least favourite car in GT5P

• Thread starter Peter
  • 150 comments
Yeah I know, the quote from Automobile magazine was taken at the Nurburgring.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/great_drives/0903_2009_nissan_gtr_vs_2009_porsche_911_gt2_nurburgring/index.html

ovevision30_0020_fg.png

Sorry... didn't get to read the rest of the post... m y myopia, my bad.

Read that article when it came out. This was in poor conditions and Driver's Republic didn't manage to get a GT-R on the supposedly faster Dunlop tires... which, from reports from owners and from Nissan, are worth probably six or seven seconds on the Nurb. I'm eagerly awaiting Chris doing it again in summer with a GT-R on the "better" tires.

Apex speeds don't tell the whole story, in this case... about the differences in low-rpm acceleration, where the GT-R is superior. But the lap-times (given the cold and damp track) are as expected... most comparisons have the GT2 as being a few tenths to a second or two faster around shorter tracks.

And again, the GT2 isn't in GT5P. None of the other road cars in GT5P have been tested to be comprehensively faster than the GT-R on the racetrack. The only one that matches it is the 599, but due to the difficulty of modulating wheelspin in a videogame, it takes much more skill to get the best out of.

As for top speeds... well... I hope GT5 has a gigantic oval of a test-course, like GT4 did... :lol:

my most unfavorite car so far is the SRT10 viper. a massive musclecar with huge torque should probably steer at some point when you step on the gas. appalling :(

I actually think that both the Vipers are a little underwhelming. The old GTS is very easy to drive for such a powerful thing, but I think that ultimately its user-friendliness makes it a bit of a blunt tool when outright laptimes are the order of the day. Neither of them are as fast as the Z06 for example, and they don't feel it either.

Motor Trend got the R8 to be nearly as quick as the GT-R on Laguna Seca, they also drove the 599 faster around Vegas International Speedway. The Z06 has kept up in a few CD tests too.

I don't think the GT-R is faster than the others, at least not to an extremely noticeable degree, the laps bounce back and forth from ahead to behind. Also remember that in game, tire advantages are negated (unless you're using the suggested tires list that I don't believe for a second) so gaps with cars on runflats, like the Z06 should be closer.

Part of it though is just a flawed physics engine where AWD gets major advantages, but I still feel like the GT-R was given a bit of an edge in game, definitely in regards to PP early on.

Also, I'm not the fastest out there (don't have a wheel+stand) but I find the Viper to be as fast as the Vette. It has better traction and a more flexible engine. The Z06 runs away on long straights though.

I think my least favorite car is the Lancia Delta. It looks ugly and is not agile at all, it acts like there was no grip on the tires. the gauges looks like a submarine's radar reader. really hate this car.

Tune it, learn to drive it. You'll be amazed what this car can accomplish in the new Suzuka 600 PP AWD race. You won't win races if the other racers are good, but hell you're gonna be competitive, I can guarantee that. The Delta has been one of my favorite cars throughout the GT series, and no GT would be complete without it and it's Rally counterpart, in my opinion.

And about the looks... I'm personally in love with the looks, both inside and out. I don't know how old are you, but the gauges make me remember all the cars I drove back when I was learning how to drive (me being born on the 80s). The outside look is simply amazing and beautiful.

Motor Trend got the R8 to be nearly as quick as the GT-R on Laguna Seca, they also drove the 599 faster around Vegas International Speedway. The Z06 has kept up in a few CD tests too.

I don't think the GT-R is faster than the others, at least not to an extremely noticeable degree, the laps bounce back and forth from ahead to behind. Also remember that in game, tire advantages are negated (unless you're using the suggested tires list that I don't believe for a second) so gaps with cars on runflats, like the Z06 should be closer.

Part of it though is just a flawed physics engine where AWD gets major advantages, but I still feel like the GT-R was given a bit of an edge in game, definitely in regards to PP early on.

Also, I'm not the fastest out there (don't have a wheel+stand) but I find the Viper to be as fast as the Vette. It has better traction and a more flexible engine. The Z06 runs away on long straights though.

Actually, it's preferable to the way it was in GT4, where anything with any power to the front wheels had massive understeer. Now AWDs drive the way they do in real life.

The only thing left they need to fix for GT5 (from GT5P) is wheelspin modulation at low throttle openings, or to add a little more "dead stick" to the throttle to make it less sensitive at low throttle applications... it would help tremendously in making FRs easier to drive.

Actually, it's preferable to the way it was in GT4, where anything with any power to the front wheels had massive understeer. Now AWDs drive the way they do in real life.

That might depend on who you ask haha, I'm sure FR drivers don't like being robbed in terms of grip.

AWD in Prologue isn't realistic, when you're driving all 4 wheels you are going to get understeer because the fronts don't dedicate 100% traction to turning. You can reduce the effect by playing with torque balance, yaw control, etc; but it will still be there with current technology.

Perfect example is launching an AWD car, you can just floor it. In reality you would get wheel spin and not go anywhere. The Audi R8 can almost keep up with the Ford GT (and the GT-R surpasses it) which is ridiculous considering how overpowered the Ford is in game. AWD grip must be decreased, while 2WD has to be increased.

I can't believe the hate on the 599 and Ford GT. They BOTH have huge, elastic torque delivery, the Ford has huge grip out of slow corners and can be driven on the throttle through the faster sweepers, and the 599 is incredible mid-corner, and has excellent brakes.

The GTR? It's just plain dull, sounds like a big vacuum cleaner and is not at all challenging to drive.

I 100% agree with you. But i love the gtr like i love ice cream.

That might depend on who you ask haha, I'm sure FR drivers don't like being robbed in terms of grip.

AWD in Prologue isn't realistic, when you're driving all 4 wheels you are going to get understeer because the fronts don't dedicate 100% traction to turning. You can reduce the effect by playing with torque balance, yaw control, etc; but it will still be there with current technology.

Perfect example is launching an AWD car, you can just floor it. In reality you would get wheel spin and not go anywhere. The Audi R8 can almost keep up with the Ford GT (and the GT-R surpasses it) which is ridiculous considering how overpowered the Ford is in game. AWD grip must be decreased, while 2WD has to be increased.

Depends on the system.

I was shocked the first time I drove an AWD with an active electronic system. It felt unreal, and better than a rear-drive car. But after some time with it, and pushing its limits, I recognized its shortcomings. The active systems will only cure understeer up to a point, and they still add weight, which will still matter at the very extremes of handling.

Old school AWD will give you understeer around most corners unless you kick the tail out, which is reflected in the BNR34. New school AWD has active torque biasing front-and-rear... where the R34 would simply switch between RWD and AWD mode, the R35 will juggle more power to the outside wheels, also, giving you much sharper turn-in. This is reflected in tight corners. In long corners, it should still understeer more than pure RWDs, which it does.

Leave the AWD model alone, and focus on curing the throttle issues. RWD cars drive brilliantly in the game, and, just like in GT4, require a deft hand to balance through the corners. The one problem is throttle calibration. If PD gets it right for GT5, or at least gives us the option of adjusting throttle sensitivity on controllers, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
The only time I have a problem with the throttle is when I overcook a powerslide, but thats my own fault for flooring it...

Depends on the system.
Leave the AWD model alone, and focus on curing the throttle issues. RWD cars drive brilliantly in the game, and, just like in GT4, require a deft hand to balance through the corners. The one problem is throttle calibration. If PD gets it right for GT5, or at least gives us the option of adjusting throttle sensitivity on controllers, I'll be happy.

Yeah, modern tech helps out quite a bit, but it doesn't make AWD the absolute best in terms of performance as it seems to be in GT.

I don't know if throttle calibration will do much. To me, it doesn't feel like getting the appropriate level of power to the wheels is an issue. It just seems as if 2WD doesn't have high enough grip levels. If you want to leave AWD alone, then 2WD needs more traction. AWD cars beat their real time 0-60's, 2WD's lag far behind. Also, look up any review of the Dodge Viper. The rear end is ridiculously hard to unsettle, yet it can step out pretty easily in the game.

I love the AMG it is great fun to drive. The GTLM is the worst for me also. It is like PD have never heard of an LSD. Has to be the only car in the game that will kill you "IF" you take your foot off of the throttle. A terrible car.

Nissan GTR. Yes, I realize it is truly a fast car at a good value, but it epitomizes everything I dislike about the state of car design today. In game, even with all aids turned off this thing basically drives itself. In real life give me a car and a driver. No computers, just a human and a car and skill and reflexes, not a "playstation on wheels".

I love the AMG it is great fun to drive. The GTLM is the worst for me also. It is like PD have never heard of an LSD. Has to be the only car in the game that will kill you "IF" you take your foot off of the throttle. A terrible car.

Look, this all depends on what you learn to drive and what you practice with. That's part of the point of games like this - to learn how to drive these other cars. I put in the time to be "reasonably competent" with all cars. I can drive any of them fairly well. That doesn't mean well enough to win a race, but at least so I can drive quickly without crashing. Then I'll figure out what cars I like to drive the most and practice with them until I feel I've "conquered" them (until I feel I just can't get any better with it). In GT4 this often meant a lot of laps around Nurburgring, for example.

But my point is this - the GTLM is a hell of a car, but it drives like a race car. All you need to do is learn to drive it. If you do, then your opinion of it will definitely change (and no, unless you want to initiate an experience with sudden off-throttle oversteer, don't let all the way off. This is common to many MR and RR cars to varying degrees). It is not a terrible car, it is a great car, you just have to know how to drive it.

That's why keep tapping the gas around corners.

Look, this all depends on what you learn to drive and what you practice with. That's part of the point of games like this - to learn how to drive these other cars. I put in the time to be "reasonably competent" with all cars. I can drive any of them fairly well. That doesn't mean well enough to win a race, but at least so I can drive quickly without crashing. Then I'll figure out what cars I like to drive the most and practice with them until I feel I've "conquered" them (until I feel I just can't get any better with it). In GT4 this often meant a lot of laps around Nurburgring, for example.

But my point is this - the GTLM is a hell of a car, but it drives like a race car. All you need to do is learn to drive it. If you do, then your opinion of it will definitely change (and no, unless you want to initiate an experience with sudden off-throttle oversteer, don't let all the way off. This is common to many MR and RR cars to varying degrees). It is not a terrible car, it is a great car, you just have to know how to drive it.

I agree with the fact that some cars do really need to be learnt to drive successfully,but either version of that Ford GT simply wants to hurl you at the nearest barrier backwards at the speed of light for no reason. If it was truly a good car then why is it mentioned so often in this thread?? May in rot in peace! Hopefully it is redeemed in GT5 👍

I know how to drive it! Carefully!!! lol. I dont mined the normal Ford GT, but in LM mode it realy is a horrid, car. fairplay to those that can drive it. But I will stick to my ZO6/Tuned. and wave to you as i go past on the corners. (but then again you can wave to me on the striaghts lol).

I know how to drive it! Carefully!!! lol. I dont mined the normal Ford GT, but in LM mode it realy is a horrid, car. fairplay to those that can drive it. But I will stick to my ZO6/Tuned. and wave to you as i go past on the corners. (but then again you can wave to me on the striaghts lol).

The ford is a great handling car(kinda). I love it more than any other tuned car because it is exiting. It might oversteer off gas but that's what makes it better than the viper or vette

The worst car in GT5P is, without any shadow of a doubt, the Alfa Brera. If I was Italian I would be marching to their factory with a lit torch and a pitchfork to lynch whomever was responsible for this unutterably horrible collection of ristretto cliches and wrong engineering. The interior looks like a tupperware accident, it has a fat, swollen rear end that would be more at home on Oprah Winfrey, and is about as responsive as a sloth on sleeping pills. The engine sounds horrible and has all its power in the top 200 rpm, just so you can bang into the rev-limiter right when its starting to wake up, and isn't very powerful anyway. And how the hell did they make it so heavy? I know they stopped using lead pipes for plumbing back in roman times, so why was it deemed necessary to build the drivetrain and suspension out of lead? When you tip it into a bend it changes direction with all the alacrity of a Steam Train, and won't do anything but understeer, no matter how violent you get with it. Italian cars are meant to be about arm-waving gesticulation, loud shouty noises and a generally lively feel, so I can only conclude that a car like this is a reactionary response to this concept. It is everything an Italian sportscar SHOULDN'T be.

Utter garbage.

The worst car in GT5P is, without any shadow of a doubt, the Alfa Brera. If I was Italian I would be marching to their factory with a lit torch and a pitchfork to lynch whomever was responsible for this unutterably horrible collection of ristretto cliches and wrong engineering. The interior looks like a tupperware accident, it has a fat, swollen rear end that would be more at home on Oprah Winfrey, and is about as responsive as a sloth on sleeping pills. The engine sounds horrible and has all its power in the top 200 rpm, just so you can bang into the rev-limiter right when its starting to wake up, and isn't very powerful anyway. And how the hell did they make it so heavy? I know they stopped using lead pipes for plumbing back in roman times, so why was it deemed necessary to build the drivetrain and suspension out of lead? When you tip it into a bend it changes direction with all the alacrity of a Steam Train, and won't do anything but understeer, no matter how violent you get with it. Italian cars are meant to be about arm-waving gesticulation, loud shouty noises and a generally lively feel, so I can only conclude that a car like this is a reactionary response to this concept. It is everything an Italian sportscar SHOULDN'T be.

Utter garbage.

Harsh.

Yeah, modern tech helps out quite a bit, but it doesn't make AWD the absolute best in terms of performance as it seems to be in GT.

I don't know if throttle calibration will do much. To me, it doesn't feel like getting the appropriate level of power to the wheels is an issue. It just seems as if 2WD doesn't have high enough grip levels. If you want to leave AWD alone, then 2WD needs more traction. AWD cars beat their real time 0-60's, 2WD's lag far behind. Also, look up any review of the Dodge Viper. The rear end is ridiculously hard to unsettle, yet it can step out pretty easily in the game.

Off-throttle, the Viper has lots of grip. On-throttle? Be nice. My uncle has a Viper... haven't driven it, but my cousin says you can never use more than 1/4th throttle down their (bumpy) street... just too easy to get it squirrely.

Again, it's all about throttle calibration on the controller. Give it a whirl and limit yourself to half-throttle, and you'll be amazed at how docile it is.

SL55, knew it would useless, just like the real car.

They should have thrown in the 65 instead. It has about 600hp. Enough to make the ford gt cry.

The 65 is worse. Power without control, and so heavy the power means nothing. The exception being the recent Black Series.

Back