Left Wing or Right Wing? Take Pop Quiz in OP!

Only the purple and red sectors are ideologically consistent - one cannot promote big government and regulations and champion freedom (green sector), nor vice versa (blue sector).

Of those two, the red sector is an ideology that strips individuals of rights and freedoms in favour of the community, while the purple sector recognises that the smallest community is the individual and without individual rights and freedoms there can be no true community.

You're explaining how the chart works: freedom/freedom, freedom/control, control/control, control/freedom. I'm just not sure why. Are you suggesting that I should expect people from one of the "ideologically consistent" sectors to presuppose my views in general, based on my stance on a single topic?

In any event, the consistency isn't so much about quadrants as it is about how close the dot pitches to the line running from top left to bottom right. -1 and -1 (green) is far closer to the control/freedom consistency line than +4 and -1 (purple) for example.

Anyway, I was talking about people's reactions, and that I think they can be telling.

You're explaining how the chart works: freedom/freedom, freedom/control, control/control, control/freedom. I'm just not sure why. Are you suggesting that I should expect people from one of the "ideologically consistent" sectors to presuppose my views in general, based on my stance on a single topic?
No, I'm suggesting that if you deliver sufficient responses to end up in the "I prefer social freedom but the government should provide me things" sector, you should expect that your world view is described as such.
In any event, the consistency isn't so much about quadrants as it is about how close the dot pitches to the line running from top left to bottom right. -1 and -1 (green) is far closer to the control/freedom consistency line than +4 and -1 (purple) for example.
Except that the line doesn't exist. For it to do so, there'd need to be a 1:1 correlation of how much social freedom/control there should be to how much economic freedom/control there should be - and how would you even begin to quantify that? Number of applicable laws, from "all" to "zero"?

And of course that wanting the state to butt out while still taking enough taxation to provide you with "free" things isn't ever close to consistent.
Anyway, I was talking about people's reactions, and that I think they can be telling.
Of course they are. Just like the chart is telling - of how the individual answered and what their world view is.

Late to the party, but here goes:

pcgraphpng.php

Honestly surprised by how "Right" I'm considered. Looks like FK and I should be bunk buddies.

I agree with Famine's point for the reasons he brought up. Believing that the individual's rights are sacred while expecting the government to take a disproportionate amount of money from other individuals (or evil faceless corrupt corporations as they're often called) is hypocrisy. This would be blue and US Democrats. US Republicans and those in the green category are saying that the government should stay out of people's wallets but meddle in the personal affairs of other individuals (or godless heathens as they're often called) is the same hypocrisy turned on its head.

Personally of the two I prefer Green simply because of how ineffective they would be in positions of power. The government lacks the ability to enforcing the types of laws American Republicans/Green quadrant proponents would like to pass such as laws restricting booze, drugs, sex, and homosexuality. Getting the government involved with people's wallets has far more potential for disaster and taxes are harder to cheat.

Last edited:
Only the purple and red sectors are ideologically consistent - one cannot promote big government and regulations and champion freedom (green sector), nor vice versa (blue sector).

Of those two, the red sector is an ideology that strips individuals of rights and freedoms in favour of the community, while the purple sector recognises that the smallest community is the individual and without individual rights and freedoms there can be no true community.

I'd refer to Keef's graph a couple pages back to notice how complex the left v. right binary actually is. People can have a hardcore free market stance, but be completely racist, homophobic, sexist, etc. (and be on the right of the spectrum). I'd go on to say that you can be totally for a free market, yet want to limit freedom of others (like promoting the institution of slavery as the herald of the free market). Indeed, the (American) South still continues to view the civil war as an infringement of their economic liberties.

Honestly, I think the right has inappropriately tried to sell itself as championing individual rights, when many times, they have championed exclusion of certain individuals from participating freely in the free market.

The same goes for authoritarian figures, such as Stalin and Fidel Castro, who are typically seen as leftists, yet posited the creation of a particular type of community that excluded certain individuals. For instance, Fidel Castro idealized the ideal Communist revolutionary as one marked by heightened machismo. The ideal revolutionary, basically, had to be a man's man, strong, stern, and authoritative. What happened? Gender roles were reinforced. Leadership positions were overwhelmingly given to men, not women. Sexual norms were reinforced as well. The homosexual community was ostracized and forced into hard physical labor, because it was assumed that physical labor would "man" homosexuals up. Being homosexual was, for Cuba, almost like being anti-revolutionary. In this case, these leftists have tried to sound like being inclusive of the common man, who were marginalized by the greedy capitalist; yet they simply transfered the marginalization of individuals from private hands to a single political party.

The graph, honestly, only reveals how weak our attempts to categorize political ideologies really are. This graph is probably the worst offender... rather than highlighting the complexities of political beliefs, it basically flattens everything out, and it makes people in the right think they're the heroes of individualism (when sometimes they are not), and the people in the left think they're heroes of the community (when sometimes they are not). I would argue that there are people in the left much in favor of individualism and people in the right who would want to limit individual freedoms in favor of the collective. These are the many layers of political opinion.

What is a social responsibility? I don't even know what that means - is it suggested that by selling things to a society a company has an obligation to also... do things for the society for free? What's wrong with just providing them with the best product they can?

In a state of nature, I'm not obligated to stop after I run you over accidentally. Maybe I was late for an important business meeting, involving the sale of a product I want to put in the market. Socially, however, I kind of am required, unless I want to be forever ostracized by my fellow citizens. As such, I think the notion of social responsibility involves the acknowledgment that the production of certain products produces some negative consequences (like deforestation, communities uprooted from their land, etc) and there is a responsibility to offset those consequences or minimize them, at least, because it is assumed that these consequences are actually very bad for society. Think about cutting a tree and using it for paper, housing, etc., but planting a smaller tree in its place. Of course, I do think that businesses take on the moniker of social responsibility as a means of branding their company, to sell the idea that they are "socially conscious" and get more business by people who think they are ahead of the curb. Starbucks, for instance, has done nothing to make the lives of coffee plantation owners and workers any better by implementing a quasi-fair trade model of business. Yet, people think they are doing a world a favor by buying coffee from Starbucks.

And you're quite right - what exactly is it that companies do if not "serve humanity"? The interests of a company is to serve humanity - if they don't make something humanity wants, they don't survive. So their interests and serving humanity are aligned and thus I have to disagree with the question as answering that I agree indicated I think they are separate things.

You have to be careful how you employ the word "service" here... I'd think that "service" is characterized somewhat by utility. When you service a car, for instance, you make it into something you can utilize. When you serve someone, you provide them with something useful. In the spirit of service, you have the interest of others in mind.

Companies serve themselves. Their interest is to serve themselves, and themselves alone. That sometimes their interests intersect with the interests of individuals does not mean that they actually serve humanity. All it means is that interests are sometimes aligned. But this is not always the case.

Indeed, when we talk about service, sometimes sacrifice is involved (when you actually get no absolute payoff from serving humanity).

Me:
pcgraphpng.php

I'd be really interested to see where I would have fallen before the events of 2008 here in America, especially the subprime mortgage meltdown. Answering these questions made me realize how much I distrust large corporations and the idea of a completely free market, and I suspect a lot of that can be traced back to those events.

I'd be really interested to see where I would have fallen before the events of 2008 here in America, especially the subprime mortgage meltdown. Answering these questions made me realize how much I distrust large corporations and the idea of a completely free market, and I suspect a lot of that can be traced back to those events.
The events precipitated by Clinton-mediated government housing policies and encouragement to lenders to expand to subprime and consumer demand for housing made you distrust corporations and the free market?

Whut?

The events precipitated by Clinton-mediated government housing policies and encouragement to lenders to expand to subprime and consumer demand for housing made you distrust corporations and the free market?

Whut?

Events precipitated by Reagan-era deregulation, leading to an increasingly complex and opaque "shadow-banking" system, encouraging banks and other financial institutions to leverage too much debt into investment, to chase profit by offering overly-risky loans and to generally employ predatory lending tactics?

Yep.

... in an industry where guaranteed recapitalisation from federal funds would always be available.

This one's all in the hands of the lawmakers and consumers, rather than the boardroom. It played its part, but only aided by being underwritten as if a nationalised industry and encouragement to take risks by national policy.

... in an industry where guaranteed recapitalisation from federal funds would always be available.

This one's all in the hands of the lawmakers and consumers, rather than the boardroom. It played its part, but only aided by being underwritten as if a nationalised industry and encouragement to take risks by national policy.

Completely agree with you there. Sadly, the needed regulation won't happen as long as corporations continue to line the pockets of our politicians over here. In the end, I guess we could play chicken-and-egg about this all day.

pcgraphpng.php

According to the site, the closest famous figure is Mandela, one intersection above me. I'm not terribly surprised by that. What is interesting is reading the last page or so; the past few years I've felt that my views on various bits of life have been... contradictory, to say the least. I was definitely a lot further into the top left corner as a teen, with a more idealized view. Like @dautolover said, things get a bit more complicated, and while I guess that makes me less consistent, I think it's a reflection of how life is equally difficult to pin down.

pcgraphpng.php

According to the site, the closest famous figure is Mandela, one intersection above me. I'm not terribly surprised by that. What is interesting is reading the last page or so; the past few years I've felt that my views on various bits of life have been... contradictory, to say the least. I was definitely a lot further into the top left corner as a teen, with a more idealized view. Like @dautolover said, things get a bit more complicated, and while I guess that makes me less consistent, I think it's a reflection of how life is equally difficult to pin down.
At least you're honest. I tend to think of it as a reflection of long-term indoctrination which eventually takes hold of people as they age. I can name you very few examples of middle-aged-and-later people I personally know who still care to rage against authority in any context at all. Most of them just do as they're told, as they've been trained. The system they designed works extremely well.

Completely agree with you there. Sadly, the needed regulation won't happen as long as corporations continue to line the pockets of our politicians over here. In the end, I guess we could play chicken-and-egg about this all day.
No, I can point you directly to the problem. The problem is not corporations who line political pockets, or consumers who want instant gratification. The problem is politicians who accept bribery. Further, the problem is that the people who want to be politicians are precisely the type of people you don't want to be politicians - the reason they want to be politicians isn't because it pays well, or because the benefits are great, but because they'll have power to make decisions. They want that power because they believe they can do something with it. And they almost always do - terrible things.

And because the politicians are chosen by the people, we have nobody to blame but ourselves and the people around us for soaking up whatever ******** story these manipulative personality types feed us.

Last edited:
pcgraphpng.php

Economic Left/Right: 2.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

None of the mentioned famous people, only the Lib Dems, in the same sector.

I am only necrobumping this because I feel that this really doesn't deserve its own thread.

Here is a simple first name input test to see how conservative or liberal you lean based on your first name and political contributions. Your name is graded from 10l to 10c

Some famous examples that I managed to grab:

Glenn (Beck) - 4.8c
Rush (Limbaugh) - 8.6c [believe it or not, that is actually the second highest conservative score available. Doyle has him beat.]
Rachel (Maddow) - 6.2l People with the name Rachel are less likely to contribute to a political campaign.
Hillary (Clinton) - 7.5l
Mitt (Romney) - 7.0c
Barack (Obama) - Not found in the database.

Here is mine:
If I introduce myself as Kenneth, I score a 3.9c and I am less likely to contribute to a campaign than an average citizen. Kenny, on the other hand, is a 4.5c and I am less likely to contribute. Finally, if I introduce myself as Ken, I am a 3.7c, but I am 13x more likely to contribute to a political campaign.

You can take the test for yourself here:
https://www.crowdpac.com/how-liberal-conservative-is-your-name?name

Bloody Norah, I'm Ghandi.

Some of the questions were crap though, some presented multiple points but there was no midway option if you agreed with half the point but not the other :)

1pcgraphpng.php.png

I was pitching Trump in the role of a man grasping at the ever more ludicrous.

Baracks as contributors? Oh no, way too guarded.

That works for me now :D

I found the whole Crowdpac thing a bit odd... for a set of very clever people they seem strangely confident that I'll accept the idea that my likelihood of even giving to a campaign might be based on my name, let alone my political allegiance. I'm not sure what their point is unless they're going to be cleverly showing the difference between correlation/causation at some other time.

I got -2.00 and -2.82, but lost the link to the graph because I'm on my phone and it likes to make my life awkward. :P

Not the best way to find your place in the political spectrum, this test. In my case, however, the results are quite accurate.

pcgraphpng.php

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67

Back