Left Wing or Right Wing? Take Pop Quiz in OP!

pcgraphpng.php

I tried it again and the result surprised me, I figure I am more right and more on the authority side. I answered as quickly as possible because I know my mind has a way of trying to manipulate things.

here is the link again first off. https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

and here are my last results. Thanks to the crew for helping me with my ineptness, I mean that.

chart

Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -2.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.31

chart

chart

Gonna type the values in too, since the image will disappear eventually.

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

funny how we are not so far of yet find a way to dispute. :D

I suppose it is all in the way you interpret events and political programs/movements, rather than your actual beliefs. The questions on this quiz are a bit simpler than real-world ones.

chart

Your Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

I'm pretty consistently in that sector. My first score was -1.5 / -5.44, my score in 2014 was -0.12 / 5.54 Took this three times, this time, changing the answer I thought I wasn't solid on, and it only moved my score left-to-right by about half-a-point.

Of course, a true libertarian would be in the purple sector, completely. But I do believe in the need for at least the bare minimum of socio-economic safety nets in order to stabilize a country or community, but safety nets that are designed based on empirical research and study rather than through politics (har-har... never going to happen). Your score suggests you believe the same, perhaps our differences is in the interpretation of what those minimal social safety nets should be like and whether they are being implemented properly.

Last edited:
@Niky I think you are are saying you don't mind a bit of authority? I don't either, it's the reason I vote for it.

our differences is in the interpretation of what those minimal social safety nets should be like and whether they are being implemented properly.

Exactly that.

Last edited:
I don't mind Authority but it has to be kept in check to stop corruption and self interests from taking over, Authority is still ran by Humans and Humans have desires.

I believe in mostly Free Market Capitalism in Pure form but I believe everyone would be better off if we have some safe guards when it comes to Medical care to insure we don't fall into a downward spiral that can't be stopped.

And Anti Trust being in place from stopping those who are at the top to push everyone down, a Highly competitive Market is always better for everyone and Human innovation.

Living in a 1st world wealthy country I know having safeguards provides a better quality of life for everyone then an Anarchic Utilitarian world where there is more freedom but life is cheap.

I retook the test today. It seems like I've become more socially moderate than previously, which I can agree with. I'm not surprised by my economic stance either.

Previous results:
Econ. Left/Right: 6.62
Social Lib/Auth: 3.28
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 8.02.51 PM.png

@Niky I think you are are saying you don't mind a bit of authority? I don't either, it's the reason I vote for it.

A bit of economic authority, actually... but moral authority and thought policing are a complete no-no.

As for the details though as to why we argue... it's possibly more in terms of style and how you approach issues. If you were more clear in your language and thought out your position more thoroughly, you wouldn't have so many people debating with you so loudly in this forum.

-

Just for giggles, the current US Presidential Candidate rankings:

us2016.png

No surprises there, except that Clinton is a little less authoritarian than Obama.

us2012.png

Too bad Rand Paul isn't there, I expected him to be in the same area as Ron Paul, but his stance on abortion and gay rights has him up into the blue zone, but not as high up as Hillary.

Last edited:
Why would they alter his position? They're the same as his father's.

Why would they alter his position? They're the same as his father's.

I was looking at two plots. One had him along with his dad, another had him up in the blue but not totally. It's probably down to the interpretation of his various stands. Perhaps someone ought to do an updated one for Ron Paul, as well.

Remember, though, that being "pro-life" and "anti-gay marriage" are authoritarian stances, and that has a big effect on the scores. Copping out and saying "state's rights" implies that the state has more rights to define marriage than the individual, which is an authoritarian stance.

I was looking at two plots. One had him along with his dad, another had him up in the blue but not totally. It's probably down to the interpretation of his various stands. Perhaps someone ought to do an updated one for Ron Paul, as well.

Remember, though, that being "pro-life" and "anti-gay marriage" are authoritarian stances, and that has a big effect on the scores. Copping out and saying "state's rights" implies that the state has more rights to define marriage than the individual, which is an authoritarian stance.
I find all the politicians are way too Authoritarian on that list.

Ron Pauls position was about Removing the Federal Government from decisions they are in charge of, Also Abortion stance is not actually Authoritarian or Libertarian as alot of pro lifers believe that all life has a right that doesn't effect another's, depending on what your opinion is on the matter the opposite can come off as Authoritarian.

Also Abortion stance is not actually Authoritarian or Libertarian as alot of pro lifers believe that all life has a right that doesn't effect another's, depending on what your opinion is on the matter the opposite can come off as Authoritarian.
Regardless, wanting legislation to ban it and punishment for breaking the law is authoritarian.

Only if you think the common law is authoritarian per se. I don't think there is anything authoritarian about estoppel (the only way to properly justify pro-life), especially if it is protecting someone. I agree on the marriage thing though. That certainly is, but sort of by default.

Regardless, wanting legislation to ban it and punishment for breaking the law is authoritarian.
So the Murder is Libertarian but the rule stopping it is Authoritarian.

When it comes to life or death issues one can't say it's Authoritarian to protect a life and Libertarian to end it.

Just for clarification I am pro choice but this is the point that is raised.

So the Murder is Libertarian but the rule stopping it is Authoritarian.
No, killing (by the individual - by the state is fascism) is just behaviour. Murder specifically refers to a type of killing that has laws against it and punishment for breaking them, so is automatically more authoritarian. Having no laws to prevent or punish individuals killing each other is liberalism - the social scale is liberalism to fascism.

Any time you want to give a government authority to create and enforce laws against behaviour is a more authoritarian - or fascist - stance. Any time you want to prevent government having this power is a more liberal stance. On any given behaviour you may be more authoritarian or more liberal, and the Compass displays your aggregate position from your stances on the behaviours you're asked about.

Libertarianism is about letting the government have authority necessary to protect life but no more. On the abortion issue, it's simply a matter of where you draw the line of what life is - conception, implantation, viability or birth. Those who believe life starts before birth believe that abortion is the strong (parent/medics) imposing its will on the weak (foetus/embryo) and making laws to prevent it is a valid role of government. Those who don't, don't.

Last edited:
But if it isn't any less Libertarian but more Authoritarian how does that work on a scale?

Keep in mind bottom far left and right are anarchy, so if anything it's a centrist view, regardless of opinion.

You said Libertarianism is about the Letting the government have authority to protect life and liberty and that's it, answer me how this doesn't fall under this.

Back