Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,396 comments
The scale of the Speed Champions sets and the general swooshiness of cars has never really worked, IMO. I feel like they'd be a lot more successful (design-wise) if they deliberately picked blocky cars to begin with.
That's why they should make a Renault 5 Turbo! It would work perfectly just like the Audi Quattro. An original Golf, an Esprit, a 205 and a 155 would be ideal candidates for future models.

While I haven't done it myself because I don't have a good enough computer, my brother makes official sets in the program (or a program like it) with different color bricks. For example, a green Creator F40:
I'd say i'm probably in the same boat as yourself, (not having a very powerful computer). My workaround is modelling all that i can in Lego's old LDD, then transferring the file over to Stud.io to add parts unavailable in LDD, and do the renders.

The scale of the Speed Champions sets and the general swooshiness of cars has never really worked, IMO. I feel like they'd be a lot more successful (design-wise) if they deliberately picked blocky cars to begin with.
While i agree with you to a certain extent (choosing blocky cars instead), the thing to bare in mind is the name 'Speed Champions'. While blocky fast iconic cars of the past do exist, (@CLowndes888 provided some excellent examples), the list of viable cars becomes fairly limited and less associated with speed, as well as being lesser known to the wider audience. Having said that, i reckon a Talbot Lotus Sunbeam would look awesome as a Speed Champion model.

I was a little bored, so here is a quick doodle I just made in the LEGO studio program. 850 parts or so.
Awesome moc as always. I'm getting a lot of Radical track car vibes from it.

Awesome pics by the way @VXR. That's easily the best Lego photography i've ever seen. You've got a real photography talent.

With regards to the new Speed Champions sets, i think i'm diggin the C3 Corvette/C8 Corvette, and the Ford Bronco/Ford GT sets, the most.
I doubt i'll be able to afford/justify picking up both sets. Which is a pain, as the cars from both sets that i really like are the Bronco and C3 Corvette. I don't really care too much about having the Ford GT or the Corvette C8, but whichever set i end up getting, the new larger wheels and thinner tire combo, (along with the new larger rim inserts), should come in use.

Last edited:
Awesome moc as always. I'm getting a lot of Radical track car vibes from it.
Thank you, that's what I was aiming for - :D 👍

Also I'm pretty much finished with the model. Finished the engine and suspension, new color scheme. Maybe I'll get me the parts to make it real eventually.

8eq7WeL.jpg

vuxQiSM.jpg

Also, I have to say I like those speed champion sets, the stingray is really cool - and its in dark red! Also the top fuel dragster is really cool, can't complain. :dopey:

Last edited:
Guess I'm the loner that thinks the Stingray is hideous.

This coming from a guy the has a Stingray video cassette rewinder. :lol:

TB
video cassette rewinder. :lol:

It took me a minute to remember what that even was. Kids today have it so easy, don't even have to worry about getting yelled at for not rewinding the tape after watching a movie (and getting fined if it was a rental). :lol:

I have pretty much gone all in collecting the old Lego Adventurers theme, no denying that anymore. Just having a blast building older sets and ebay is just so darn convenient isn't it... :lol:

Got most of the hard to find sets and all have so far been very good condition, some even with boxes. Fortunately, at my parent's house, is a pile of about 20,000 pieces from my childhood (with some pieces dating back to 1966, which is neat) that I use if there are missing pieces.

Scorpion Palace (7418) from 2003 with box and instructions:
51174015591_2263862dcd_c.jpg

The Secret of the Sphinx (5978) from 1998 with instructions:
51174015891_df5fc36d77_c.jpg

River Expedition (5976) from 1999 with box and instructions:
51159983558_5c27298057_c.jpg

And this one was difficult to get, because it's so weird.
Expedition Balloon (5956) from 1999 with box and instructions:
51174015511_61f24f5f96_c.jpg

I bought the Batwing, and it was missing 2 3x3 plates! SMH. So I ordered them from Bricklink, they'll arrive this week and I'll post a pic of it hanging on my wall.

Jerome

Wanted to get the new Ford GT/ Bronco set that released today, but it's already sold out on Lego.com, whereas the rest of the new Speed Champions are available. Super popular set, huh? Grabbed a few other Speed Champions instead, the Dragster/ Challenger, Supra and Corvettes. May have to drive to the Lego store for the Fords.

1000x800p.jpg

Dug out the only remaining sets I owned as a kid, that is sets that weren't mixed into piles of other sets or lost. This was the Arctic subtheme of Town from 2000. I got nearly all the sets with paper route money and was very proud of that.

Considering I played with them quite frequently, they are in good shape, only had to replace some pieces. I did replace all of the stickers, however.

51221795770_34a440d85e_b.jpg

Wanted to get the new Ford GT/ Bronco set that released today, but it's already sold out on Lego.com, whereas the rest of the new Speed Champions are available. Super popular set, huh? Grabbed a few other Speed Champions instead, the Dragster/ Challenger, Supra and Corvettes. May have to drive to the Lego store for the Fords.

I just bought the Corvettes as well.

One happy birthday boy in a few days.

194656660-517554412767251-742302400521856486-n.png

I just built that one like a month ago. It's maybe my favorite set that I currently own. I like it even more than the GT3 RS, Chiron, and Sian. There's just something about these race cars that I really like. I also have the 911 RSR, so they go great together.

I just built that one like a month ago. It's maybe my favorite set that I currently own. I like it even more than the GT3 RS, Chiron, and Sian. There's just something about these race cars that I really like. I also have the 911 RSR, so they go great together.

I began eyeing the 911 as soon as the Ferrari was revealed, it may be that I'll have to get it too.

Because of course that happy birthday boy is me at 35 next week. :P

Holy crap - I started this thread over 17 years ago and it's still getting new posts. That's nuts!

I haven't bought any Lego sets in a very long time, but the last few I was getting were Technic ... Oh and the big ferris wheel! That was a fun build my wife and I did together for our anniversary. It's on display in my office :)

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/ferris-wheel-10247

It seem strange, considering how many massive sets I have/had over the years, but some of my favorite sets are actually the small Creator sets. In particular the animals. I have the birds set, some sea creature thing, and a lion set (all from YEARS ago, not the current ones)? There is a crocodile one now that looks really good. I think it shows how diverse and capable Lego bricks can be.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/crocodile-31121

I'd love to get the world map set, but I have no where good to put it on my boat (I'm living on a boat these days) so I'll have to wait until I'm back home and can hang it on a wall.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/world-map-31203

But to keep it on topic for GTPlanet, there are some great looking car sets these days! I haven't read the backlog of posts on this thread so people have probably already commented on most of them, but the new 911 set looks GREAT! I'd rebuild it in blue, but that's just me ;)

LEGO-Creator-10295-Porsche-911-Featured-image.jpg

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-911-10295

I'd still like to build a large Technic S2000, but that'll probably never happen. I've seen a few smaller scale LEGO S2000s and they're pretty great.

Thanks for keeping this ancient thread going!

Holy crap - I started this thread over 17 years ago and it's still getting new posts. That's nuts!
Thank you for starting the thread!

Let's see... I was 15 years old when this thread started and was probably not interested in Lego anymore, it was a kids toy to me at that point. The so called "dark ages" of Lego, I didn't pay attention from about 2003 to 2015 or so. However, I have since gone all in and found that spark again that I had when I was a kid, collecting new and old sets.

Lego has just been getting better and better, I say. Many people like me have tapping into the childhood nostalgia, so Lego can now make sets geared directly at adults with the 18+ theme and some Ideas sets. Take this new Typewriter revealed today for example. While it isn't my cup of tea, sets like this Typewriter would have been unheard of 10-15 years ago. Adults are more into Lego than ever, so sets like this can exist and do well. It's great, and considering Lego's massive profits from 2020 (the pandemic contributing to sales no doubt, with people bored at home), the company is doing better than ever. Can't wait to see what's next.
51236262737_4363890577_o.png

Last edited:
Nostalgia FTW baby. I love the Batwing and I found this TMNT set on Rebrickable a couple weeks ago. There's one thing I hope lego does before I die, and that's to take the Transformers licensing away from Kre-O and make some killer G1 transformers. I'D-BUY-THEM-ALLLLLLLLLL :lol:

Batwing.JPG

TMNT.JPG

Okay so after I posted this, I did another Google search for Lego Transformers and Orion Pax has FINALLY made a web shop for buying his awesome Lego sets. Check them out here: https://orionpax.net/product-category/80s-toyreplicas/

I will be making all of his stuff eventually, but I'm gonna start on the Devastator as thats my fav Transformer set of all, probably my most treasured toy too. I'm stoked, can't wait to get started!

Jerome

Last edited:
Well, the first Lego I've bought in a while and its for a friend of mine to celebrate Pride Month.

View attachment 1015023
I got it for myself. It’s the first Lego set I’ve bought and assembled in at least 40 years. I love it.

On a side note, is anyone watching Lego Masters on Fox (or like me, Hulu the next day)? I found the first season to be surprisingly fun, and the second season looks to be more of the same.

I very nearly chose the Ducati at Smyths toys yesterday, but then I noticed they had reduced the price on this one I had my eye on for some time.

rsz_20210627_191133.png
rsz_20210627_191528.png

Really attractive, modern style. Love the rebranding of Octan as an electricity supplier and the Lego take on an i3 type car.

Hopefully we get more of these homes and electric cars.

Back