Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,394 comments
I like that Raptor, but wish it were blue or something rather than orange. Either way, I pre-ordered it for my dad, it's a good price.

Grabbed a good deal on an older set: Bucket Wheel Excavator (42055). I believe it was the biggest Technic set at the time it came out, both in physical size and piece count.
51295310025_afd7ba0888_b.jpg

Last edited:
It reminds me of that gold rush show on Discovery channel a couple years ago.

Jerome

It looks like I get to save a bunch of money on Lego this year, as there doesn't seem to be anything releasing that interests me.

The Volkswagen T2 Camper Van was revealed. Available August 1 for $179.99 USD.
Looks like it is a little larger than the previous Creator VW Camper, which, did you know was sold for 9 years? Making it the longest running set ever, apparently. I really like this, but I have the old red version, which I like perfectly enough not to feel the need to replace it or get another one, even if this one is larger and more detailed.

LEGO-Volkswagen-T2-Camper-Van-10279-3.jpg

LEGO-Volkswagen-T2-Camper-Van-10279-5.jpg

LEGO-Volkswagen-T2-Camper-Van-10279-6.jpg
LEGO-Volkswagen-T2-Camper-Van-10279-8.jpg

Last edited:
The Volkswagen T2 Camper Van was revealed. Available August 1 for $179.99 USD.
Looks like it is a little larger than the previous Creator VW Camper, which, did you know was sold for 9 years? Making it the longest running set ever, apparently. I really like this, but I have the old red version, which I like perfectly enough not to feel the need to replace it or get another one, even if this one is larger and more detailed.

LEGO-Volkswagen-T2-Camper-Van-10279-3.jpg

LEGO-Volkswagen-T2-Camper-Van-10279-5.jpg

LEGO-Volkswagen-T2-Camper-Van-10279-6.jpg
LEGO-Volkswagen-T2-Camper-Van-10279-8.jpg
It's the sequel to the original! All we need now is a modern VW Camper!

Looks like it is a little larger than the previous Creator VW Camper, which, did you know was sold for 9 years?
Flipping hell, was it really that long ago. Where has the time gone? 😅 Anyway, I'll probably pick this up for Christmas. The original one is still one of my favorite kits. Really happy to see another version. Interesting to see exactly how much bigger this one is.

Picked up the Volvo L350F Wheel Loader (set 42030, from 2014) for a steal. The seller didn't bother to clean it or remove the batteries so there was some corrosion, but the motors work. And the seller basically just threw the instructions loose in the box so it's in bad shape. In any case, I cleaned it up and replaced all the stickers so it looks new again.

51323677716_16f68498e0_c.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up the Volvo L350F Wheel Loader (set 42030, from 2014) for a steal. The seller didn't bother to clean it or remove the batteries so there was some corrosion, but the motors work. And the seller basically just threw the instructions loose in the box so it's in bad shape. In any case, I cleaned it up and replaced all the stickers so it looks new again.

51323677716_16f68498e0_c.jpg
Will you be doing the steering modification with double linear actuators? It makes its movements so much more authentic.

Will you be doing the steering modification with double linear actuators? It makes its movements so much more authentic.
I wasn't aware of it, but thank you for the heads up, I will definitely check it out!

Starting on my next from-scratch design & build. Keeping with what I've done already (NES and SNES) it makes sense to do the N64 next I guess. Here's a render of the cartridge (Stud.io still doesn't support my 3080 #eyeroll).

1628557851086.png

Jerome

I've been giving Lego a bit of a break over the last 6 months or so, (bit of a Lego dark age), but luckily stumbled upon a contest run over on Eurobricks forums, a short while ago.
It's a Technic studless contest where you had to come up with a newer studless version of an older set. There's some fantastic entries! One in particular i think @Dennisch may be interested in, is a studless version of the old Technic set 8854 (power crane).

Anyway, i was kind of late to the contest and only had about a week to get something designed and built. I decided in the end to go with a redux version of the old Technic 8842 Go-Kart set, which my partner has still got from her childhood.

Here's some pics of my contest entry:

And here's some more of how it now is. I didn't enter it with these wheels as they're considered to be an illegal building technique. They comprise a 3 wheel rims and 4 tyres combo.

[EDIT] Have now put behind a spoiler, as there's quite a few pics:

[spoiler/]

I doubt very much i'll place anywhere significant in the contest itself, as there's so many awesome entries, that perfectly hit the criteria of the contest brief. But it was a satisfying build all the same.

Last edited:
Well done on the Go-Kart! Looks really good next to the original, interesting contest too.

My dad, who just turned 65 and got into Lego at the end of 2020 for the first time, has more Technic than I do. Every time I go over to visit he has more. He surprised me with the green 4x4 truck in the top right of the picture, set 8466, because I had is when I was maybe 12 years old and sold it, so it was good to see again.

This is maybe 1/3 of what he accumulated in 2021. :lol:
51381009312_9fffe0f092_b.jpg

I've been giving Lego a bit of a break over the last 6 months or so, (bit of a Lego dark age), but luckily stumbled upon a contest run over on Eurobricks forums, a short while ago.
It's a Technic studless contest where you had to come up with a newer studless version of an older set. There's some fantastic entries! One in particular i think @Dennisch may be interested in, is a studless version of the old Technic set 8854 (power crane).

Anyway, i was kind of late to the contest and only had about a week to get something designed and built. I decided in the end to go with a redux version of the old Technic 8842 Go-Kart set, which my partner has still got from her childhood.

Here's some pics of my contest entry:

And here's some more of how it now is. I didn't enter it with these wheels as they're considered to be an illegal building technique. They comprise a 3 wheel rims and 4 tyres combo.

I doubt very much i'll place anywhere significant in the contest itself, as there's so many awesome entries, that perfectly hit the criteria of the contest brief. But it was a satisfying build all the same.
I'd pay some cash-money for that build, it looks awesome, fantastic job buddy! You gonna post it on Rebrickable so I can buy the plans and parts? ;)

My first session with the N64 console. I'll build out the details later, just thinking structurally, size, slope, etc. atm.

1629178382743.png

Jerome

Last edited:
Absolutely love this. Hard to believe that you did it all inside of a week. Amazing effort. 👏
My first session with the N64 console. I'll build out the details later, just thinking structurally, size, slope, etc. atm.
When you first mentioned the 64 build, I was interested to see how you'd go with the curvature of the system. Nice work so far, looks great. 👍

Well done on the Go-Kart! Looks really good next to the original, interesting contest too.

This is maybe 1/3 of what he accumulated in 2021. :lol:
Thanks! :D👍 I was using pieces of my partner's original 8842 set on another (older) Go-Kart MOC, but it was well worth dismantling that, to restore the original set to it's former glory and display it aside my new MOC.

And also, that's only around 1/3 of your dad's Technic collection? Blimey! he certainly has caught the bug for it. 😃
I'd pay some cash-money for that build, it looks awesome, fantastic job buddy! You gonna post it on Rebrickable so I can buy the plans and parts? ;)

Thanks! That's made me well happy, knowing someone out there would like to build it! :D👍
Unfortunately at the moment instructions don't yet exist, as i was quite pushed for time when designing it. The assembly order needs a really good going over and working out properly, as it was quite fiddly to put together, but i do plan on figuring it out and putting up the instructions on my Rebrickable account. Will give you a heads-up when i do. 👍

[EDIT]

BTW, your N64 is coming along really well! 👍 Any plans on doing a GameCube/Dolphin, further down the line?
Absolutely love this. Hard to believe that you did it all inside of a week. Amazing effort. 👏
Thank you! :D👍 I'm surprised myself.:lol:

I had originally planned on doing a simpler set (8226 Mud Masher), but then discovered it was already mostly a studless design. Doing another Go-Kart was kind of on my radar (though way before any contest), as i wanted to do a better version of this down the line, (you can probably remember it from back in 2014):

But i'd kind of promised to myself i wouldn't take it apart, as i haven't even digitally modelled it yet (and other reasons), and i didn't want to lose the idea. But i'm glad i decided to in the end, as i much prefer the smaller newer version, even if it came about kind of unexpectedly/spur of the moment.

Last edited:
Coming along. The black in the center is washed out for some reason. Just the controller and the power pack in the back. The controller will be....difficult :lol: Stud.io won't let me put in my 2x2 round bricks horizontally, it thinks there is a collision, but it fits nicely in each hole with my spare pieces in the garage.

1629233144238.png

Jerome

Last edited:
Quick Q for the experts here. Did LEGO ever produce a slick (non-grooved) tyre, that would be of a size comparable to Speed Champions models?

All the tyres on those sets are threaded.

1629233617209.png

Last edited:
Coming along. The black in the center is washed out for some reason. Just the controller and the power pack in the back. The controller will be....difficult :lol: Stud.io won't let me put in my 2x2 round bricks horizontally, it thinks there is a collision, but it fits nicely in each hole with my spare pieces in the garage.

Jerome
That's looking pretty awesome @Jump_Ace 👍

The colour black always seems to render a bit washed out in Stud.io, though sometimes you can get it to look a little less washed out, by changing the orientation of the light source. And with regards to the 2x2 rounds not fitting into the ports, it may fit if you momentarily turn collisions off, or try fitting a 2x1 axle hole brick into the face of the port, and add a 2 stud length small axle to attach it to. When you turn collisions back on, it will grey out/wireframe the 2x2 round bricks you're trying to add, but will render them solid when you hit the render button.

@PJTierney, I'm no expert but as far as I'm aware there are no slick tyres at Speed Champion scale. I think the only slick rubber tyres they do are a much smaller scale. And the only other slick look tyre, is about 1 and a half times bigger (roughly), and is a one piece plastic wheel rim and tyre combined.

Last edited:
Finished, now I just have to price out all of it....yikes!

I was able to get my 2x2 barrels in there, but not the 1x3 tile fins that sit just in front of the game cartridge, o well, they'll fit in person.

1629320801018.png

Jerome

Here it is, the moment all of you Lego Technic heavy machinery fans have been waiting for (or maybe just me), leaked images of the CAT D11T set. Honestly, I have saved up all of my VIP points to get $100 off this bad boy.

Control+ functionality, 3,854 pieces and $450 USD out on October 1. Neato.

Wow that thing looks pretty massive. I have the app-controlled rc car and my only complaint is that it's far too twitchy when I steer it. Lego is really going all in for us tho, great to see the variety of stuff releasing.

Jerome

It didn't take as long as I expected. Thank you to my brother who bought this for my 21st on Wednesday.
The Porsche is a fantastic model. And you're right, it doesn't take too long to build, (i think some of the building techniques are pretty clever and cool though).
And happy belated 21st birthday! 👍

Latest Posts

Back