Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,394 comments
I have wanted to ask this many times but never did. I'm going to ask it now though.

Do all of you "make your lego models kaputt" and rebuild them or is it a one-time building process and move on to the next Lego model?
I only build them once and leave them on display. I treat them like building a model.

Last edited:
In other news, my dad felt the need to text me at 11PM last night to tell me the Mclaren fits in the back of the Volvo 6x6 :lol:.
I think he is building these too quickly and will burn himself out. He picked up the Ducati motorcycle, too.

50979185597_8622102201_b.jpg
Wow, he seems to be flying through them! 👍 :lol: Maybe it's time for you to start to suggest a few MOC building challenges to him. Perhaps ask him to make his own front loader out of the Volvo set or something. That would make quite a nice challenge, i think.

I have wanted to ask this many times but never did. I'm going to ask it now though.

Do all of you "make your lego models kaputt" and rebuild them or is it a one-time building process and move on to the next Lego model?
For me, it's build and display for a short while, then breaking them down with the intention of using the parts for other MOCs, (MOC is a term used by Lego fans that means 'My Own Creation's).
Currently i only have a couple of models that are built and are kind of on display. One being the Porsche 911 (that i've started to modify), and the second which technically isn't mine, is the Creator London bus model which i gave to my partner (she's originally from London and has a fondness of the old London buses). However, it appears a few flat tile panels have mysteriously disappeared (probably by brick thieving pixies), and have wound up on some of my own WIP mocs. :D
Apart from those two i have a few smaller models (mocs), none of them are on display, just stored until i get around to modelling them in Stud.io (a 3D modelling/building programme, that allows you to compile instructions of what you build, into a PDF format).
If you're not in a position to buy Lego, building digitally is a really great alternative! It's not perfect, as building in real brick holds many advantages, but the fact that digitally there's no limit on how many bricks, or what colours are available to you, it really is quite good.

@SPhilli911 is definitely right when he states that once you get a set and build it, you'll quickly become hooked by Lego. And i can attest in it being expensive, as my wallet is still on life support after purchasing the Creator Porsche, (most expensive Lego set i've ever bought, the second being the Technic Ducati).

Last edited:
That's a damn nice looking display, @daan. 👍

[Edit]
Do you have the the SC Porsche 911 in white to go with the Creator model, and will you be displaying it in front, like you've done with the F40's and the Mustang and Camaro?

Last edited:
Do you have the the SC Porsche 911 in white to go with the Creator model, and will you be displaying it in front, like you've done with the F40's and the Mustang and Camaro?
I don't, but that's a brilliant idea. I'd forgotten about the Speed Champions 911. I've got the SC Mustang sitting next to its bigger brother too.

Wow, he seems to be flying through them! 👍 :lol: Maybe it's time for you to start to suggest a few MOC building challenges to him. Perhaps ask him to make his own front loader out of the Volvo set or something. That would make quite a nice challenge, i think.
Actually, without me even suggesting it, he got some alternate instructions online to build a trophy truck from the latest Jeep set. Thought that was pretty cool because I've never even done an alternate set myself. He seems interested in doing the same with other sets, so that's good.

As for creating MOCs of his own, I suggested that but he seems most interested in just following instructions. I am the same way, though, I lack the creativity and motivation to create my own things, especially with Technic.

50982087806_763191f50c_b.jpg

I don't, but that's a brilliant idea. I'd forgotten about the Speed Champions 911. I've got the SC Mustang sitting next to its bigger brother too.
Oh okay my mistake. I couldn't see it clearly, i thought it was the 1969 Camaro sitting next to the Mustang, (couldn't zoom in on the pic).
But yes, the SC Porsche i think will look perfect next to it's bigger creator brother. It'd be really cool if Lego did a miniature DB5 Aston as well, though i've seen some pretty decent mocs out there at speed champions scale.
Having said that though, the display as is looks fantastic! 👍

Actually, without me even suggesting it, he got some alternate instructions online to build a trophy truck from the latest Jeep set. Thought that was pretty cool because I've never even done an alternate set myself. He seems interested in doing the same with other sets, so that's good.

As for creating MOCs of his own, I suggested that but he seems most interested in just following instructions. I am the same way, though, I lack the creativity and motivation to create my own things, especially with Technic.

50982087806_763191f50c_b.jpg
Hey that's a pretty cool trophy truck! And yes rebrickable is a great source for alternative builds using pieces of existing sets you may have. 👍

This is me. The thought often occurs when building Lego sets that this is a toy originally designed to inspire creativity and free thinking, and here I am slavishly following the instructions from which I shall not deviate*.

*Apart from the odd correction or practical modification, such as BLiTZ's tweek of the SC Audi quattro.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 994269

The space is where the 911 will go.

Not pictured, and dotted elsewhere around the house, are the Chiron, Defender, 911 GT3 RS, Saturn V, London Bus, Mini Cooper and a few others.

The 911 might not fit in there. Your Mustang barely fits in that hole, and the 911 is slightly longer. You might have to remove the glass door.

I do ;)

I have the white and the green ones.

I am exactly the same.

Last edited:
Update on the Porsche pack that I didn't receive. Sent an email to Lego and they apologised that they didn't have enough to satisfy demand. They gave me a bunch of VIP points as compensation. So made another purchase.

Gearbox done.

TnM0mKm.jpg

Probably my favourite Lego build ever so far. Seeing it all come together and working out how it was going to work was really enjoyable. Onto no.2 bags!

That's cool @PzR Slim that you got some free VIP points. Apparently they ran out of the Porsche owners/welcome pack, within the first 15mins of it becoming available during it's CET release. Out of interest, when did you place your order for the Creator Porsche, (might be worth me emailing them myself for some free points).
Also, what Technic set is that you're building?

That's cool @PzR Slim that you got some free VIP points. Apparently they ran out of the Porsche owners/welcome pack, within the first 15mins of it becoming available during it's CET release. Out of interest, when did you place your order for the Creator Porsche, (might be worth me emailing them myself for some free points).
Also, what Technic set is that you're building?
I ordered 21 past the hour! It's the Land Rover Defender.

Just finished bags no. 2. I'm absolutely blown away by this build.
It really is impressive. I got a bit more done last night:

50992192033_c0df1cacdb_c.jpg

I've repurposed some display cases, formerly used to display a scale model car collection which grew too large, with some of my large Lego sets. Wish I had the space to display some of the Technic sets.
50992193018_2c98078d37_c.jpg

Also, since I've been dedicating more time to Lego during these... uncertain times... I've put together a little work area and took all my Lego out of storage.
50992889696_c64afe9ef9_c.jpg

I've been waiting on the tires for this thing for two weeks. I couldn't wait any longer since I could do the rest of the build and I've been waiting years for a decent Lego Transformer build (with instructions). Don't buy bricks from outside your region on Brick Link :lol: This was done by Build Better Bricks. They have some great MOCs, I've gotten some light sabers instructions from them and a couple other things, check 'em out here.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Jerome

Last edited:
@SPhilli911 Just noticed how you have the Nintendo set arranged in your cabinet on two shelves, it looks awesome 👍

I was toying with the idea of buying this for my nephew's birthday, as he is into Lego and Nintendo, though his interest in Lego has dropped recently - well, indeed, anything that doesn't involve a screen seems to get bombed out these days, but Lego still has some appeal to him.

It's a pricey set though, and it doesn't look as challenging a build as, say, the Apollo 11 (that I got him previously) or the Technics sets. He's only 12 though, but I reckon it would be a good choice as a gift if it were half the price it is...

@SPhilli911 Just noticed how you have the Nintendo set arranged in your cabinet on two shelves, it looks awesome 👍

I was toying with the idea of buying this for my nephew's birthday, as he is into Lego and Nintendo, though his interest in Lego has dropped recently - well, indeed, anything that doesn't involve a screen seems to get bombed out these days, but Lego still has some appeal to him.

It's a pricey set though, and it doesn't look as challenging a build as, say, the Apollo 11 (that I got him previously) or the Technics sets. He's only 12 though, but I reckon it would be a good choice as a gift if it were half the price it is...
It's a really nice set, but I agree, it's a bit expensive maybe due to the Nintendo licensing. It's not a particularly difficult set even though it's part of the 18+ age line, I think maybe a 12 year old could tackle it with some guidance.

For me, as a slight perfectionist, the set was a bit... tedious let's say. :lol: The "screen" of the TV consists of many 1x1 tile and plate pieces, so if you like pieces to be straight it can be tough.

^^

Fair enough, The General Lee looks quite good in the presentation video.

From the Youtube reviews of some of the Chinese knockoff Lego sets, the quality is supposedly pretty decent. Like it's hard to tell the difference to actual Lego. It's just molded plastic, so I'm sure it's fine.

For me, as a slight perfectionist, the set was a bit... tedious let's say. :lol: The "screen" of the TV consists of many 1x1 tile and plate pieces, so if you like pieces to be straight it can be tough.
I had the same feeling when I was building mine.

It's a really nice set, but I agree, it's a bit expensive maybe due to the Nintendo licensing. It's not a particularly difficult set even though it's part of the 18+ age line, I think maybe a 12 year old could tackle it with some guidance.

I bought the Apollo 11 set as a joint present for my nephew and for myself, and we built it together... at £100 or so, it was a bargain, and £50 was reasonable as a gift I think. The Nintendo set is something like £220 here, which is a bit ridiculous, esp. for something that is not that challenging to build, but it does look great. But I think I will have to pass on it... I did, however, manage to get an original Super Mario handheld game, so he can have that instead :lol:

I am, however, going to buy the Defender set... it looks amazing, and I'll build it with my nephew and he can keep it if he wants it. He will probably not keep it though, as he loves building them but shows little to no interest in Lego beyond that unfortunately.

Back