Less Japanese cars, more regional cars

Brazil
Porto Alegre
LazyLiquid
Nothing against JDM, i love them all (specialy the FR ones). Also i know that GT is a japanese frenchise, but lets face that its also an worldwide icon. Ill not even drop in the "endless Skylines" complain, because its overused and everyone knows that.

But for exemple... i am Brazilian. I would love to see Brazilian classics in the game (Puma, Chevette, Opala, Santa Matilde, 80´s Passat...) and i belive that the same happens to another countries that have a lot more to show. Australia, UK, Italia, Germany... and so on... there are a lot of many interesting cars that never had a chance in any GT.

I guess its about time to show even more diversification on the cars, for the good of the users.

I don't get why there has to be more skylines and miatas than there are cars from a singular country like Italy which makes some of the greatest cars in the world! Even the UK hardly gets a chance to show what they've created!
I'm Australian and am surprised that there have only ever been about 4 of our cars in the franchise ever! We have some great stuff on offer! It makes the game so much more enjoyable to drive a car that you could own yourself!

I don't get why there has to be more skylines and miatas than there are cars from a singular country

because the programmers are japanese (?) and the first market they aimed for was japan (?)...

this has been a discussion matter ever since... so @ admins: please just close this senseless thread... Kaz and PD already know for years that other cars are demanded... from my side too of course!
so just let's wait what further DLC for GT5 and GT6 itself will bring up

Yes, but there have been 5 gran turismo games now, I'm sure they have realised there is a massive global market for the game! But they still put masses of Japanese cars in? Every skyline ever made, every mx-5? I just don't get it

because the programmers are japanese (?) and the first market they aimed for was japan (?)...

this has been a discussion matter ever since... so @ admins: please just close this senseless thread... Kaz and PD already know for years that other cars are demanded... from my side too of course!
so just let's wait what further DLC for GT5 and GT6 itself will bring up

What democratic person we have here... so as it is debated several times, now in the GT6 discussion it can´t be discussed anymore? Do you think the same about all the other running threads witch speaks about subjects that was debated before?

I hope o wasted 2 mins reading the OP where i already mentioned that this is a Japanese frenchise. Otherwise, what is the number of GT (1,2,3,4,5) sales in Japan AND the Globe? This game is produced in Japan, but its a worldwide brand, maybe the most respected in the semi-sim segment.

If you don´t have a satisfy answer, try send a PM to any admin and see what will happens...

I really hope they add more everyday cars seen in other countries such as here (England). I would welcome some Ford Mondeo's or Vauxhall Astra's. I mean I have nothing against putting the cars that they would normally see around Japan but they shouldn't centre everything around them. And yes the whole billion Skyline/MX-5/NSX matter is stupid, they should take one model from from each generation.

I agree about the Japanese cars, so what if the game is Japanese developed... most of its sales come from Europe and the US and those markets want and should be better represented. Half of those Kei cars don't interest me whatsoever and the hundreds of Skylines don't either.

They really should spend most of their effort in GT6 modelling anything but Japanese cars to bring the game back into balance.

Japanese cars are known well all over the world, just look outside they're everywhere. Whereas the OP's mentioned cars are specific to certain countries, in general people our side of the globe don't really like American cars (i did say in general as i know some like American muscle cars).

Japanese cars are known well all over the world, just look outside they're everywhere. Whereas the OP's mentioned cars are specific to certain countries, in general people our side of the globe don't really like American cars (i did say in general as i know some like American muscle cars).

It's okay if most Europeans don't like American cars, but many Americans do, and since Americans represent a very large portion of the GT fanbase, they should be properly represented.

And that's the way PD should be approaching the car selection process. The customer is always right. So if customers outside of Japan want more American, British, Italian, German, and Scandinavian cars, then they should damn well be included.

And believe me, I love certain Japanese cars. But PD needs to listen to the majority of their fanbase rather than just their Japanese fanbase. Because the clear bias towards Japan is a little bit sickening. Japan represents a small percentage of their sales compared to the West, and yet PD still chooses to cater to Japan. That's just stupid.

The GT5 car list is more biased than normal because of the GT4 "duplicates" (Miatas, Skyline GT-Rs, NSX, RX-7). When you look at premiums only, I think the percentage of Japanese cars is lower.

But nevertheless, there should be more Japanese cars than those of any other nation. GT is a Japanese game and should maintain a Japanese identity. PD also has better access to JDM cars and an opportunity to have a close relationship with Japanese manufacturers. Also, only Italy and Germany rival Japan in the variety of sports cars produced. Japanese sports cars marques include Skyline GT-R/GTS, Nissan Z, Silvia, NSX, Integra, Prelude, S2000, Supra, MR2, Celica, GT86, Lancer Evo, GTO, FTO, Impreza WRX Sti, BRZ, RX-7, Miata/MX-5, RX-8 just to name a few + hot versions of economy cars (Civic, CRX, AE86 most notably) and sporty kei cars (Beat, Cap, AZ-1, Copen). Not many countries have this sort of track record of sporty cars. It's perfectly normal to have a high amount of Japanese cars.

I advocate roughly:
40% Japanese Cars
40% European Cars
10% American Cars
10% Korean, Australian, PD specials and other cars

Well if that was the case then they should have more cars! It shouldnt be about the quantity, they obviously put as many cars in as they could to bring the count up. If the tool half of the duplicates out, left 2 of each model maybe, instead of 7 miatas, then imagine how many other cars they could have. I think each region should be shown equally, because every person has their own taste, and each region has some amazing cars! Australia could easily have its on 10%, itstead of .07, it just needs a higher balance!
40% Japanese means they'll put stupid cars in no one uses.
If they were to theoretically have 1000 cars again, they should have 25% Japanese, 15% Germany, 15-20% Italy, 10% UK, 5-10% Australian 5-10% US and then split the rest between others like sweden for the koenigsegg etc.
Just to give everyone else a fair go!

hell they still missed some of the american cars that couldve been put in the game. i say bring back the aftermarket cars that some of the dealers had like Ford to Shelby. i also feel that not having Vauxhall in this game was a shame they really have nice cars and arent represented well

The GT5 car list is more biased than normal because of the GT4 "duplicates" (Miatas, Skyline GT-Rs, NSX, RX-7). When you look at premiums only, I think the percentage of Japanese cars is lower.

But nevertheless, there should be more Japanese cars than those of any other nation. GT is a Japanese game and should maintain a Japanese identity. PD also has better access to JDM cars and an opportunity to have a close relationship with Japanese manufacturers. Also, only Italy and Germany rival Japan in the variety of sports cars produced. Japanese sports cars marques include Skyline GT-R/GTS, Nissan Z, Silvia, NSX, Integra, Prelude, S2000, Supra, MR2, Celica, GT86, Lancer Evo, GTO, FTO, Impreza WRX Sti, BRZ, RX-7, Miata/MX-5, RX-8 just to name a few + hot versions of economy cars (Civic, CRX, AE86 most notably) and sporty kei cars (Beat, Cap, AZ-1, Copen). Not many countries have this sort of track record of sporty cars. It's perfectly normal to have a high amount of Japanese cars.

I advocate roughly:
40% Japanese Cars
40% European Cars
10% American Cars

Wow ...that's the best thought out line of reasoning I have heard. It explains what happened to me just last night. I had just thrashed a Mitsubishi Evo 9, followed by the Impreza Spec C, and then a full tuned Silvia S13. It was an absolute blast! Afterwards I decided I felt like something European that matched these cars in look and feel and could think of nothing. Yes European, American, Australian, Scandanavian cars are great ...no one will argue. My favourite car in the game is the the E46 M3 CSL ...but honestly, there is something about the performance of those Japanese cars that is simply unmatched. What these cars lack in power they more than make up in sheer performance.

Still, I would agree that one car from each generation should be a matter of priority. Having said that, I understand that we MUST have a Miata, MX-5 and Eunos for each generation (I think it was Famine that explained why it has to be this way). Those cars will always have a high number compared to other cars. If BMW, like the Japanese manufacturers, renamed and specified their cars by region, we would also have 2 or three versions of the E92 M3 for example. Its the way it has to be unfortunately.

I advocate roughly:
40% Japanese Cars
40% European Cars
10% American Cars

That is a good ratio, if there is going to be 1,000 cars.

IMO reasonable car counts to represent American manufacturers (including racecars)

30 Chevrolet
30 Ford
15 Dodge
10 Super Car Manufacturers like SSC, Saleen etc
10 Lincoln, Pontiac, Buick, Plymouth etc
05 Cadillac
05 Chrysler

Thats about 100 cars. So 10% would mean GT6 needs to have 1000 cars. Its splitting hairs but I would suggest 15% American cars instead of 10%.

I think somebody said American cars aren't wanted as much as other cars? I disagree. European cars are easily the most wanted because they offer the most performance. Japanese cars on the other hand tend to be very heavy on the "kei" side. But American cars almost always offer high horsepower and performance. Just look at a typical Japanese highway or road to see an endless array of micro cars. Look at an American highway to see big, powerful vehicles.

Yah, indeed...
GT5 had more nissans than BMW + MERC + Ferrari + Audi...
That doesn't make any sence.. I was dissapointed when first car list appeared on GT5 Official page...

I don't want them to remove their Japanese car list ( which is pretty interesting and varied), I just want them to put the same attention on American and European cars. I want to see as much variety in Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds etc. as there are in Skylines and Evos.

But really, I think that the reason GT5 is too Japanese centric is because nowdays you need the actual car to be able to faithfully recreate it in the game. Back in the GT2 days they could model a car just from pictures and maybe manufacturer data, but now you need the real thing. And obviously it's not easy to source classic American and European cars in Japan because there aren't many of them there. PD would need to make trips overseas which would increase development costs or maybe open studios is Europe and USA. Perhaps even outsource car modelling to studios already based in those countries.

I think they need a good mix of cars in GT6. But they also should not forget the japanese cars. It was really bad to see cars like the latest Supra not as a premium modell. Nowadays, europeen manufacturers have a far wider range of sports cars than the ones in asia. Nissan only has the GTR and 370z for example. Just look at BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, Seat, VW, Volvo and many more.

That is a good ratio, if there is going to be 1,000 cars.

IMO reasonable car counts to represent American manufacturers (including racecars)

30 Chevrolet
30 Ford
15 Dodge
10 Super Car Manufacturers like SSC, Saleen etc
10 Lincoln, Pontiac, Buick, Plymouth etc
05 Cadillac
05 Chrysler

Thats about 100 cars. So 10% would mean GT6 needs to have 1000 cars. Its splitting hairs but I would suggest 15% American cars instead of 10%.
Percentages are very rough, so yeah, you are splitting hairs.

But to give perspective, it's based on a 600 car list where 60-80 are American cars, therefore 10-13% of the total. I rounded the numbers, otherwise European and American car numbers would be up slightly and Japanese and Other numbers would be down slightly. The Other category perhaps more significantly, as Korean and Australian car counts should, respectively, probably remain in single digits. Even when you ad in PD cars like the X2010, Formula GT, Karts and perhaps a few new ones, the Other category shouldn't be anywhere close to 60, probably closer to 30 (5%).

As for the breakdown of American cars: there should probably be 1 or 2 Covettes and Vipers, respectively, of every generation; a handful of Camaros and 7 or so Mustangs (focusing on the new and the originals, as 70s and 80s pony cars aren't exactly a hot commodity); various important single cars like the Ford GT, Shelby Cobra, etc.; 8-10 late 60s/early 70s muscle cars; and then various others. I certainly don't think you need as many as 5 Chryslers or 5 Cadillacs. I think 3 Cadillacs would be sufficient (CTS-V Sedan, CTS-V Coupe, LMP) in the grand scheme of things and even fewer Chryslers. That's how I see it.

Needed Cadillacs

1. Cadillac ATS 3.6L VFX '12
  2. Cadillac CTS-V 6.2 L S/C LSA '12
  3. Cadillac Eldorado 6.0L '83 (or previous gen)
  4. Cadillac Escalade GMT900 '12

Then there is either the GT car based on the CTS-V or the Northstar prototype

Chrysler

1. Chrysler 300 6.4L HEMI V8 '12
  2. Chrysler Crossfire '04
  3. Chrysler ME Four-Twelve Concept Car '04
  4. Chrysler Prowler '02

I can see Chevrolet only needing 25 cars if models like the Malibu and Cruz are not added. Same with Ford if they dont add the 2012 Ranger, Fusion, or Taurus. But thats taking away from "slow" everyday cars that the GT series supposedly built on. I would like to see more everyday American cars

To put a long point short, 90 American cars is the very least I would like to see. 80, which is your maximum, would require some concept cars, trucks, and unique cars like the Dodge M4S Turbo Interceptor '86 to be cut.

I can't agree on "less Japanese" but I can agree on more "regional" cars.

I for one would like more Japanese cars, but ones sold all over the world. We are missing some really good cars from the game:

- Nissan Sentra SE-R (B13, B14, B15 mainly)
- Nissan NX2000
- Mazdaspeed3
- Mazdaspeed MX-5 ('04-'05)
- Honda Civic Si ('99-'00)
- Toyota Corolla XR-S ('05-'06)

You know what I really want? Reliant Regals and Robins. Think of the insanity! :lol:
Those Robins would be flipping over all the time.:sly:
On a more serious note, I personally think that it's okay for it to have many Japanese cars as long as it has more cars from other countries. The more cars, the better. But they should try to get more nice cars from different countries.

Needed Cadillacs

1. Cadillac ATS 3.6L VFX '12
  2. Cadillac CTS-V 6.2 L S/C LSA '12
  3. Cadillac Eldorado 6.0L '83 (or previous gen)
  4. Cadillac Escalade GMT900 '12

Then there is either the GT car based on the CTS-V or the Northstar prototype

Chrysler

1. Chrysler 300 6.4L HEMI V8 '12
  2. Chrysler Crossfire '04
  3. Chrysler ME Four-Twelve Concept Car '04
  4. Chrysler Prowler '02

I can see Chevrolet only needing 25 cars if models like the Malibu and Cruz are not added. Same with Ford if they dont add the 2012 Ranger, Fusion, or Taurus. But thats taking away from "slow" everyday cars that the GT series supposedly built on. I would like to see more everyday American cars

To put a long point short, 90 American cars is the very least I would like to see. 80, which is your maximum, would require some concept cars, trucks, and unique cars like the Dodge M4S Turbo Interceptor '86 to be cut.
To each his won, but I think you are reaching with the Eldorado and Escalade.

I see a different "slow everyday" car range that could/should be added. Smaller toss-able cars like the Cruze, Sonic, Focus and Fiesta, not behemoths like the Fusion, Taurus and Malibu. Right from GT1, there was an abundance of compact "everyday" cars like the Toyota Starlet, Mitsubishi Mirage and Honda Civic.

Personally, I would purge the pick-up trucks out of GT and limit concept cars. Pick-up racing is a small niche form of racing and shouldn't be a priority, and there are no Premium trucks in GT5, thus nothing to build on. As for concepts, most concepts either have no running gear, a mis-match of parts from other cars, or are seriously underdeveloped compared to production cars. For a racing sim, this sort of drivability (or lack of any) isn't ideal. If GT6 had 2000 cars, I'd be more warm to pick-ups and concepts, but I just can't justify such cars over a plethora of European and American sports cars that are more deserving and would add more to the game.

Back