Less Japanese cars, more regional cars

I agree with the OP. Why not look further than Japan? There's a lot of nic cars that could be in the game, and really do well.

Since 'm from Sweden, I'd love to see cars such as:

Volvo S60 R
Volvo V70 R
Volvo S80 V8
SAAB 93 AERO
SAAB 95 AERO
Koenigsegg CC8S
Koenigsegg CCX
Koenigsegg CCXR
Koenigsegg CCR
Koenigsegg CCGT
Koenigsegg Agera
Koenigsegg Agera R

SagarisGTB
To each his won, but I think you are reaching with the Eldorado and Escalade.

The Eldorado and Escalade are two of the most "pimped" out cars in the United States. If we get better customization options in GT6 alot of people will be drooling over those two cars

SagarisGTB
Personally, I would purge the pick-up trucks out of GT and limit concept cars. Pick-up racing is a small niche form of racing and shouldn't be a priority, and there are no Premium trucks in GT5, thus nothing to build on. As for concepts, most concepts either have no running gear, a mis-match of parts from other cars, or are seriously underdeveloped compared to production cars. For a racing sim, this sort of drivability (or lack of any) isn't ideal. If GT6 had 2000 cars, I'd be more warm to pick-ups and concepts, but I just can't justify such cars over a plethora of European and American sports cars that are more deserving and would add more to the game.

Can't say I see the need to rid GT of trucks. Trucks have a big following and NASCAR even has a racing series based around trucks. About half a dozen trucks would be suffice, The F150, BT-50, Silverado, Tundra, Titan, and Dodge Ram would make alot of people happy and wouldn't hurt anybody.

The counter argument to your points about Concept cars is that racing simulations are usually our only chance to see these cars in action. Many concept cars have a cult following, the Ford GT90 and Dodge M4S Turbo Interceptor being a couple. The rarity of such cars makes them even more special. There is only one GT90 in existence and just 4 Interceptors.

In a racing simulation you don't have to worry about the GT90's quad turbos melting the car down etc

Though there is an undeniable Japanese manufacturer centric feel in GT5 I don't think this purely reflects the home of the game developer.

When you think about it, regardless of your nation of residence when you look around a car park you will see plenty of Japanese cars (cars from Japanese brands).

The same is not true for many North American domestic market cars which tend to only sell in numbers within the US.

Only Ford really have "international cars" of their own in their portfolio. The other N.Am manufacturers seem to be more inclined to attempt aquisitions and mergers to claim a stake in overseas markets rather than develop a true global car. GM for example, is well known around the world but mostly in the form of it's various regional brands.

Outside of one or two iconic halo models I just don't think the likes of Chevrolet or Cadillac or Chrysler have much of a global following even though they are trying a little harder now (CTS/300C coming to Europe but selling in VERY small numbers for example).

I think this somewhat limits the appeal of American "shopping" cars in GT5 to people outside of N.Am. Yes, give me a Mustang, yes, give me a Charger but as a European (based 60/40 in Europe and N.Am) I really couldn't give a crap about the latest Chevy Malibu. :)

One thing they should cut down on is repeat models with different years. 5 different years of the original R34 Skyline is just blatant padding when only the first year model has any real significance.
Even without repeat model years, we'd still be left with enough cars than most players can care about.
A game about automotive history should at least focus on long-running models, no matter the country.

Can't say I see the need to rid GT of trucks. Trucks have a big following and NASCAR even has a racing series based around trucks. About half a dozen trucks would be suffice, The F150, BT-50, Silverado, Tundra, Titan, and Dodge Ram would make alot of people happy and wouldn't hurt anybody.
Trucks are large, heavy, have relatively little weight over the rear wheels, and have drive-train built for towing and carrying heavy loads. This does not make trucks ideal for racing. Because of this, trucks really don't have much place in racing, other than against each other. It's a niche form of racing. I'm trying to look at the bigger picture, I think PD need to concentrate on getting and filling out other forms of racing before turning to trucks. And if they don't have more than one or two trucks, I'd rather they leave out trucks for GT6 and concentrate on bringing in cars with greater appeal.
The counter argument to your points about Concept cars is that racing simulations are usually our only chance to see these cars in action. Many concept cars have a cult following, the Ford GT90 and Dodge M4S Turbo Interceptor being a couple. The rarity of such cars makes them even more special. There is only one GT90 in existence and just 4 Interceptors.

In a racing simulation you don't have to worry about the GT90's quad turbos melting the car down etc
Fair point. I see that appeal in concept cars as well, but I personally give priority to production cars, in which reality isn't too far removed from the game. I've driven a 430 Scuderia in real life, many others have too, and maybe someday I'll drive something even faster. Sportscar production cars are driven and taken to tracks all around the world, and GT should catalog as many of these enjoyable to drive cars for the gamer to drive in virtual reality. But the Cien or the GT90 or the GT-One road car aren't raced, taken to tracks and are very rarely driven. This lack of activity simply sucks the life and significance out of these cars, they unfortunately become museum pieces just as much as they are cars. Personally, I'd rather drive the new Ferrari, the new Corvette, the new NSX over any concept and I'd like to see GT include production cars as priority over concepts.

I don't say that i hate japanese cars but now there are just enough japanese cars. If they put more of thhem then there is too much of them. My hope is that they put lots of different manufacturers in the game.

I honestly can't see PD remaking the endless list of skylines in premium for GT6, it's likely that all cars will be premium and there will be a better ratio of Japaneseanese cars to other nations cars.

The reason the number of skylines and mx5 variants was so high in GT5 is that they were simply recycling rehashed assets from prevous games which addedup to a ton of old skylines and mazdas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totaly agree... I dont't want Atenza, axela and japanese version lolll i want Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 with the look they have in Canada loll... Cobalt SS, Sunfire, Neon, Camry, Impala, Malibu, Avenger, Charger, Cadillac Coupe , Hyundai Genesis , Kia Koup

Last edited by a moderator:
I just say more more more! Keep the Japanese cars, add more euro and Everything else! What really needs addressing is the tuning options IMO! More real world part options pls.

Im with this. I love all types of cars JDM, USDM, EURO, Muscle, super you name it and I have one dream car from all those categories. I would be beyond happy to see PD expand there region of cars and take away duplicates in the game. One of my all time favorite cars is the r32 skyline. I love it to death but I literately HATE yes hate seeing 9 freaking thousand of them in the UCD. I think id make the game much more enjoyable having different cars from everywhere

I must have something like 20 different skylines in my garage now... different year... different model... gts-t, gt-r's... you name it. same goes with mx5 as well

I just say more more more! Keep the Japanese cars, add more euro and Everything else! What really needs addressing is the tuning options IMO! More real world part options pls.

Exactly, the case is not to remove existing cars which can be raced, the case is in adding fresh european and american cars from different eras. For example I would like to see more DTM cars instead having 8 - 16 years old classics. For example it will be great fun if PD would add Mercedes C Coupe DTM '12 or the revival of the BMW in DTM series M3 DTM '12 and their non-racing versions.
Refreshment of american cars would be great, because I also am a little bored (but still having fun of driving it) of 12-year old Oreca Viper GTS-R or Corvette C5-R (Great thanks for adding racing modification for Corvette Z06 and making it GT1-like car).

Yeah, I know, that should go to "What cars..." topic...

I advocate roughly:
40% Japanese Cars
40% European Cars
10% American Cars
10% Korean, Australian, PD specials and other cars

That looks too lopsided to me. That's way to much for one country.

40% European (many countries, with somewhat even distribution of cars)
25% American (moderate amount of countries, US is the leader of production)
25% Asian (moderate amount of countries, Japan is the leader of production)
10% other

What they need to add is trim level selection, when you buy a car (like in real life), that way duplicates are no more. I don't mind all the skylines, when they are actually different from one another.

For example, there is a big difference between a Honda Civic DX from EX and Si, etc.
Kinda like how you "build" your car on manufacturer websites.

That looks too lopsided to me. That's way to much for one country.

40% European (many countries, with somewhat even distribution of cars)
25% American (moderate amount of countries, US is the leader of production)
25% Asian (moderate amount of countries, Japan is the leader of production)
10% other
You want as many American cars as Japanese and Korean cars combined. I just don't see how that would work.
Japanese sports cars marques include Skyline GT-R/GTS, Nissan Z, Silvia, NSX, Integra, Prelude, S2000, Supra, MR2, Celica, GT86, Lancer Evo, GTO, FTO, Impreza WRX Sti, BRZ, RX-7, Miata/MX-5, RX-8 just to name a few + hot versions of economy cars (Civic, CRX, AE86 most notably) and sporty kei cars (Beat, Cap, AZ-1, Copen).
+ LF-A, Toyota 2000GT, Eclipse, etc.

American sports cars include Corvette, Viper, Camaro, Mustang, Ford GT, Pontiac Solstice, Saleen S7, Shelby Cobra, Chrysler Crossfire, and I'm running out of names already. Half of these are single generational.

The Japanese have also produced far more LMP and Group C race cars. It's about even when you look at tin-top racers.

So, a non-biased game should have far more Japanese cars than American cars, never mind a studio like PD that is 100% Japanese.

Btw, my more flexible ideal percentages are:
40-50% European cars
35-40% Japanese cars
10-15% American cars
5-10% Other cars (Australian, Korean and others)

urmie
What they need to add is trim level selection, when you buy a car (like in real life), that way duplicates are no more. I don't mind all the skylines, when they are actually different from one another.

For example, there is a big difference between a Honda Civic DX from EX and Si, etc.
Kinda like how you "build" your car on manufacturer websites.

But everyone would google the fastest tuning for a car, just like drag tuning.

You want as many American cars as Japanese and Korean cars combined. I just don't see how that would work.
America includes two continents and many countries, not the US alone.

American sports cars include Corvette, Viper, Camaro, Mustang, Ford GT, Pontiac Solstice, Saleen S7, Shelby Cobra, Chrysler Crossfire, and I'm running out of names already. Half of these are single generational.

Mosler is missing, SSC is missing, Callaway is missing (but is in GT5), AMC is missing, Devon is missing, Fisker is missing, Panoz is missing (no GT5 road cars), Tesla is missing (but is in GT5). That doesn't include many defunct makers like Vector. Many of those you included are very multi generational. PD could probably exchange Corvettes for Skylines in a 1:1 to ratio and have a fairly varied line up with goo diversity.

Then there are concepts like the ME Four Twelve and the Copperhead from GT1.

The Japanese have also produced far more LMP and Group C race cars. It's about even when you look at tin-top racers.
But none of the US's modern LMP's are included, which is a bit unfair. The US doesn't even have some iconic race cars like the C6R, S7-R, and Viper CC.

So, a non-biased game should have far more Japanese cars than American cars, never mind a studio like PD that is 100% Japanese.
I disagree completely.

which is a good point. A good portion of GT's fanbase is Japanese. Besides, most cars are manufactured by Asian companies so it should reflect that.

A rather small portion, actually.

North America: 1.84m 23.6%
+ Europe: 3.79m 48.6%
+ Japan: 0.75m 9.7%
+ Rest of the World: 1.41m 18.1%

Less than 10% of sales.

American sports cars include Corvette, Viper, Camaro, Mustang, Ford GT, Pontiac Solstice, Saleen S7, Shelby Cobra, Chrysler Crossfire, and I'm running out of names already.
Pontiac Firebird. Pontiac Fiero. Pontiac Sunbird Turbo. Dodge Daytona. Dodge Omni GLH. Shelby CSX. Studebaker Avanti. Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais. Ford SVT Contour. I could think of more if I wanted to actually start looking.

To say nothing of the variety of cars that were in GT2 but no longer are (Plymouth Road Runner, Neon ACR, Shelby Daytona, Vector W8); or how you are deciding that American cars should keep a lower percentage than Japanese ones because of an apparent lack of dedicated sports cars when half of the GT5 JDM car list is sedans and economy cars.

Half of these are single generational.
As opposed to the storied, multi-generational history of the Toyota 2000GT, Mazda RX-8, Mitsubishi FTO, Lexus LFA, Toyobaru BreezeFreeze (which you interestingly listed twice), AE86, Beat, Cappuccino, AZ-1 and Copen?

Toronado
Pontiac Firebird. Pontiac Fiero. Pontiac Sunbird Turbo. Dodge Daytona. Dodge Omni GLH. Shelby CSX. Studebaker Avanti. Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais. Ford SVT Contour. I could think of more if I wanted to actually start looking.

To say nothing of the variety of cars that were in GT2 but no longer are (Plymouth Road Runner, Neon ACR, Shelby Daytona, Vector W8); or how you are deciding that American cars should keep a lower percentage than Japanese ones because of an apparent lack of dedicated sports cars when half of the GT5 JDM car list is sedans and economy cars.

As opposed to the storied, multi-generational history of the Toyota 2000GT, Mazda RX-8, Mitsubishi FTO, Lexus LFA, Toyobaru BreezeFreeze (which you interestingly listed twice), AE86, Beat, Cappuccino, AZ-1 and Copen?

The cheetah would be a cool car to be in GT6.

While it's true Japan produces the highest number of the world's cars, that doesnt necessarily mean they should get far and away the most slots in GT6, especially when most of the cars they produce are undesirable econo boxes

I was rather shocked that when I completed my full GT6 car wishlist 21% of the cars were American and only 33% were Japanese. 46% were European. I found that once you remove 25 Miatas, 25 S2000s etc, there werent that many Japanese cars in comparison to previous GTs.

When people think of American Manufacturers they usually just think of the Big 3. But if you add all the iconic cars from all the American Manufacturers the list can add up quickly

I dont think there is a single car on this list that would be considered "undesirable" , not worthy, or useless duplicates/variations by anyone. 111 tightly picked cars on the following list would make up just over 20% of a car list made up of 550 total cars, a realistic number to expect for GT6 IMO.

Buick
  1. Buick GNX '87
  2. Buick Special ’62 (SEMA Gran Turismo Awards 2003)

Cadillac
  3. Cadillac ATS 3.6L LFX '12
  4. Cadillac CTS-V '12
  5. Cadillac Escalade GMT900 '12

Cadillac Racing Cars
  6. Cadillac CTS-V Racing Car '11

Chaparral Race Cars
  7. Chaparral 2D Race Car '67
  8. Chaparral 2J Race Car '70

Chevrolet
  9. Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z '85
  10. Chevrolet Camaro SS '69
  11. Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69
  12. Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 '12
  13. Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 '70
  14. Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe '97
  15. Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (C1) ’54
  16. Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) ’63
  17. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible (C3) ’69
  18. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) ’04
  19. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) ’06
  20. Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C4) ’90
  21. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) ’09
  22. Chevrolet Cruze '12
  23. [Chevrolet El Camino SS 454 '70
  24. Chevrolet Impala '12
  25. Chevrolet Silverado '12
  26. Chevrolet Volt '12

Chevrolet Race Cars
  27. Chevrolet #3 Monte Carlo NASCAR Race Car '98
  28. Chevrolet #5 SS NASCAR Race Car '13
  29. Chevrolet #10 SS NASCAR Race Car '13
  30. Chevrolet #14 SS NASCAR Race Car '13
  31. Chevrolet #24 SS NASCAR Race Car '13
  32. Chevrolet #29 SS NASCAR Race Car '13
  33. Chevrolet #42 SS NASCAR Race Car '13
  34. Chevrolet #48 SS NASCAR Race Car '13
  35. Chevrolet #88 SS NASCAR Race Car '13
  36. Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GT1 Race Car '08
  37. Chevrolet Corvette C6.R GTPRO Race Car '12

Chrysler
  38. Chrysler 300C '12
  39. Chrysler Crossfire '04
  40. Chrysler ME Four-Twelve Concept Car '04
  41. Chrysler Prowler '02

Dodge
  42. Dodge Challenger R/T ’70
  43. Dodge Challenger SRT8 ’08
  44. Dodge Charger 440 R/T '70
  45. Dodge Charger SRT8 R '12
  46. Dodge Charger Super Bee 426 Hemi '71
  47. Dodge M4S Turbo Interceptor '86
  48. Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo '93
  49. Dodge Viper GTS '02
  50. Dodge Viper SRT '13
  51. Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR ’08
  52. Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe '06

Dodge Race Cars
  53. Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car ’00
  54. Dodge Viper SRT GTS-R Race Car '13

DMC
  55. DMC DeLorean S2 '04

Ford
  56. Ford Fiesta '12
  57. Ford Focus ST '06
  58. Ford Fusion '12
  59. Ford GT '06
  60. Ford F-150 '12
  61. Ford GT90 Concept Car '95
  62. Ford Indigo Concept Car '96
  63. Ford Model T 1908
  64. Ford Mustang 302 Boss '12
  65. Ford Mustang 302 Boss '69
  66. Ford Mustang GT '85
  67. Ford Mustang GT '97
  68. Ford Mustang Mach 1 '71
  69. Ford Taurus '12
  70. Ford Thunderbird Convertible '05
  71. Ford Thunderbird Convertible 5.8L '60
  72. Ford Mustag V8 GT Coupe Premium '07
  73. Ford RS200 '84

Ford Race Cars
  74. Ford #2 Fusion NASCAR Race Car '13
  75. Ford #9 Fusion NASCAR Race Car '13
  76. [Ford #16 Fusion NASCAR Race Car '13
  77. Ford #17 Fusion NASCAR Race Car '13
  78. Ford #22 Fusion NASCAR Race Car '13
  79. Ford #43 Fusion NASCAR Race Car '13
  80. Ford #99 Fusion NASCAR Race Car '13
  81. Ford Focus RS WRC 07 '08
  82. Ford GT GT1 Race Car '10
  83. Ford GT40 Race Car '69
  84. Ford Mark IV Race Car '67
  85. Ford RS200 Rally Car '85

Lincoln
  86. Lincoln Continental '64

Mercury
  87. Mercury Cougar XR-7 ’67

Oldsmobile
  88. Oldsmobile 88 '54
  89. Oldsmobile Aerotech Concept Car '87

Panoz Race Cars
  90. Panoz Esperante GT2 Race Car '06
  91. Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car '98

Plymouth
  92. Plymouth Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
  93. Plymouth Superbird '70

Pontiac
  94. Pontiac Firebird Trans Am SE '77
  95. Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe ’04
  96. Pontiac Solstice Convertible '09
  97. Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO ’64

Saleen
  98. Saleen S5S Raptor '10
  99. Saleen S7 '02
  100. Saleen S7 Twin Turbo '05

Saleen Race Cars
  101. Saleen S7-R Race Car '06

Shelby
  102. Shelby Cobra 427 ’66
  103. Shelby GT350R '65
  104. Shelby Mustang GT500 '13
  105. Shelby Series One Super Charged ’03

Skip Barber
  106. Skip Barber Formula 2000 '08

SSC
  107. SSC Ultimate Aero '08
  108. SSC Ultimate Aero TT '09
  109. SSC Tuatara '13

Tesla Motors
  110. Tesla Roadster Sport '08

Vector Aeromotive
  111. Vector W8 '90

Removing the standard cars will heavily decrease the Japanese bias.

Still, according to the GT5 master car list, I believe the game is 48% premium Japanese cars compared to the rest of the premium car count.

Honestly there's very few american cars I'm interested in.(C6.R fan here) Other than what we already have in GT5 there's maybe 3 american cars that interest me, it is true that american cars are crap. Sorry but it's true.

Jav
Other than what we already have in GT5 there's maybe 3 american cars that interest me, it is true that american cars are crap. Sorry but it's true.
Of course. We need far more 25 year old Japanese hatchbacks instead, because they are so much more interesting than any of the things Earth just posted.

Last edited:
Back