Let's see those desktops (rev 4.0)

• Thread starter Sage
  • 11,075 comments
:( that puts me out of it I'm on a mac. Still looks pretty cool. I did think it would be a pretty frequently asked question lol.

evodesktop.jpg

I just loved this pic I took in GT4, so I made it my desktop. :D

It looks a bit dark, could do with a bit of photoshop work. Bit more contrast, a tad higher brightness and saturation, would look a bit better.

I don't understand this fascination with having the local weather on your desktop... can someone explain? 'cos to me, it seems like an excuse to get something extra on your desktop that you can then make all minimalistic?

I don't understand this fascination with having the local weather on your desktop... can someone explain? 'cos to me, it seems like an excuse to get something extra on your desktop that you can then make all minimalistic?

Its handy if you plan on going out. I go out MTBing with my friends and often take a quick look at the local weather to see which day would be best to go on. Before we used to go out on any old day and would generally get caught out in some huge downpoor, now we hardly get wet, which in turn means we can ride for longer and have way more fun.

Purely estethic for me. For the real weather I just turn my head and look out the window.

I decided to have a look at the rocketdock thing and see what I could do with it. I also downloaded rain meter but it didnt work to well on here, things wouldnt get removed and they screwed up a bit, my try again some time but not today. Here is what it looks like now (Sorry it fuzzed out, I used paint this time):

Really, because I dont have rainmeter, all it has done is remove a few icons, could someone teach me how to remove the recycle bin icon and point me to a limewire icon?

If you are unsure about how Rainmeter works; If you add an icon and you want to remove it again, right click the icon and hover with your mouse over "Skin menu" and choose "Close skin". That option will close that icon only, and not Rainmeter totally.

As for the litter bin, right click and follow the Rocketdock drop-down menu box. Click "Icon settings" and choose the icon you want to use. Be sure to set icons for both a full litter bin and an empty litter bin, otherwise your new icon will not be used.

Rocketdock skins and icons are to be found everywhere. My personal favorites are Deviantart and Customize.org. A quick peek on Google might always deliver some results as well. At Deviantart, go first to Customize -> Icons -> Dock icons and type in something perhaps as "Limewire" or anything else you are looking for in the search field.

👍

I just fiddled with all of it but this computer isn't powerful enough for all this. It can do it all and still be a bit fast but it is just a little too much. I will just use rocketdock because that looks pretty clean.

Can I ask you what system you are running? My computer is three years old now and is a piece of crap compared to some other machines. But still, Rainmeter should not be such a memory hog compared to some Stardock programs.

This is my laptop which is really not meant to be used for stuff like games.

Specs:

Intel Pentium M 1.6ghz (I believe thats equivalent to a 2.4 or a 2.8ghz P4)
512MB ram
32MB Video
60HZ 1024x768 32bit

Its not all flash, I mainly use it for browsing, MSN and school work.

My desktop would be fine for all this being a duel core and all but I hardly use it and I share it with people in the house. Oh well, here is my desktop now, all I need is a new picture.

EDIT: Once again I used paint so it fuzzed up.

EDIT2: And here we have my new picture :)

Last edited:
I went to seriouswheels.com to get a car wallpaper, but they don't have widescreen pictures. So I just dropped the car idea and went to interfacelift.

desktopiz.jpg

Had to do a great deal of icon customization myself on this set, mainly the Rocketdock theme, but I love this combo. Took some icons in Photoshop and adjusted the opacity on them. I'm even thinking about making my own GTP Rocketdock icon to have among the current ones. I think this one's going to stay for a while 👍

Last edited:
On that, I've begun to work on my own icon set for Rocketdock. This little set will be released at Deviantart.com, will come in different variations, and will even have a nifty "GTP" icon which leads you directly to GTPlanet.net with a single click on the button 👍

Another person running the RC. Good chance I'll pick up the Ultimate before or after Christmas.

I can't get the GTPlanet link to direct properly, and what OS are you using?

Gosh. Makes mine look so...dull.

Back