Lexus LF Concepts

• Thread starter Ddrizle
  • 127 comments
I found another angle that shows what I'm talking about better

hyl20tkx453ysyirjluq.jpg

upload_2016-1-11_20-5-12.png

See that green line? Why? Why would you do that? It would look 10x better if it followed the blue line's crease. The front is too tall and it makes it look bloated.

Two things that bother me:

1) If its based on the same chassis as the upcoming LS, chances are, it can be matched to an AWD system. Why not do that? Take a swipe at the SL where it hurts most, try to take a cut out of the all-weather Porsche buyers, and go from there. Sure, more weight, but I doubt Lexus cares at this point.
What makes you think because it's built on what the LS could use, it can be matched to an AWD system? According to the reports, the GA-L body is for front-engine, rear-wheel drive vehicles.
2) The dashboard

xhrkmq7chn5il3btvywm.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I like everything left of the center console, but the rest of it looks way too odd, and I don't think it'll age well. The big screen, and what appears to be piano black - plastic? No. It looks like the space age interior of the ol Eunos Cosmo, and that has not held up well.
The center console & all that should change a bit to reflect more what's in the current line-up.

Does anyone know if this LC 500 is the car they built on the BMW Z underpinnings that they got in their patent swap?

Does anyone know if this LC 500 is the car they built on the BMW Z underpinnings that they got in their patent swap?
Do you have any more info on that? All I can find is Lexus/BMW rumors surrounding a mid-engine supercar, & Toyota/BMW working on something related to the Z4.

2) The dashboard

xhrkmq7chn5il3btvywm.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I like everything left of the center console, but the rest of it looks way too odd, and I don't think it'll age well. The big screen, and what appears to be piano black - plastic? No. It looks like the space age interior of the ol Eunos Cosmo, and that has not held up well.

It does look like it came from a late 90's early 00's supercar, looks like the dashboards of Ferrari's and Porsches of that era. Having said that I like a more dated look, some of the new dashes look way too nuts and alien in appearance whereas this looks classy and timeless. Tan leather, brushed aluminium and gloss black with simple shapes... a classic mix.

I found another angle that shows what I'm talking about better

hyl20tkx453ysyirjluq.jpg

View attachment 500658

See that green line? Why? Why would you do that? It would look 10x better if it followed the blue line's crease. The front is too tall and it makes it look bloated.

Pedestrian impact regulations and aerodynamics are the answers to your post. That's likely as best they could do it for optimum scores in both.

What makes you think because it's built on what the LS could use, it can be matched to an AWD system? According to the reports, the GA-L body is for front-engine, rear-wheel drive vehicles.

I was fairly sure that I had read on Autoblog, or one of its ilk, that this chassis was going to be adapted and become the basis of the next LS as well. Assuming that they'd carry over the AWD useage from the current car (as it is also a trend amongst its competitors), AWD would presumably be available in some version of the chassis. I guess, in mind mind, it'd be a strong selling point with this if they ever decided to do it.

Do you have any more info on that? All I can find is Lexus/BMW rumors surrounding a mid-engine supercar, & Toyota/BMW working on something related to the Z4.

IIRC, It's been on Autoline and elsewhere that Toyota traded their fuel cell patents for one of the Z platforms from BMW.

I was fairly sure that I had read on Autoblog, or one of its ilk, that this chassis was going to be adapted and become the basis of the next LS as well. Assuming that they'd carry over the AWD useage from the current car (as it is also a trend amongst its competitors), AWD would presumably be available in some version of the chassis. I guess, in mind mind, it'd be a strong selling point with this if they ever decided to do it.
If it's adapted, then it's possible. But, your post seemed to be implying the LC could be AWD because the LS will be AWD & both models will share the GA-L body. As far as we've been told, the LC will be RWD with a possible hybrid model to join the V8.

The LS will undoubtedly carry over the optional AWD, but again, I don't think Lexus will merge that with this coupe. Lexus seemed very intent on this car having a specific driving charm to it that I can only assume is in part to its current drivetrain.

Then again, we're 16-20 months away so anything is possible.

IIRC, It's been on Autoline and elsewhere that Toyota traded their fuel cell patents for one of the Z platforms from BMW.
I'll give it a search then. But, the LC seems kind of big to be using Z4 underpinnings, imo unless they were using the Z as a basis for how they want the car to drive.

They say it's the about the size of an E-Class coupe; 187 inches which is about a couple feet longer than the current Z. I'm assuming it's also considerably wider and definitely heavier.

I'll give it a search then. But, the LC seems kind of big to be using Z4 underpinnings, imo unless they were using the Z as a basis for how they want the car to drive.

Disregard the current Z4 in this context, because that's ancient and the next one won't really bare any connection to it. The platform architecture that the next Z will be based on is very modular and very scaleable, it'll be the same basic architecture as the next 6-er too, if that helps to rationalise the size of the LC.

I guess it's feasible that Toyota are buying one fixed configuration of the BMW CLAR platform for use on a specific car such as the LC... if that were the case, it's likely that this either uses the Z4/5 or next gen 6-er as a basis. But I'd surprised if this was the strategy as surely Toyota must been keen on developing platform modularity within their own range also.

As far as Fuel-cell patents go, it wouldn't surprise me if this is what BMW were getting in return since they started messing around with FCV instead of Hydrogen combustion engines only quite recently.

Looking back at the Lexus Vision GT concept, although it is a racing version of the old LF-LC concept, the LC500 is basically the production version of the LF-LC concept. Therefore, the Vision GT, could be the future LC500 GT3 or GT500 car.

gt6_lf-lc_gt_vgt_001_1422648430.jpg

Best-of-NAIAS-2017-Lexus-LC500-10-1-800x480.jpg

Possible, but likely a few years down the line. The car doesn't release for almost 2 years from now & then we have the supposed LC-F to rumor about.

I don't think we'll see any racing versions any time soon until the RC-F goes out of production.
Heck TRD's about to kick off a full blown program in IMSA's GTD beginning next year with tests and a few races this year, with an improved version of RC-F GT3 coming next year. So yeah it'll be a while.

So far it looks best in red, I would have prefered the LC500h if it was showcased in this shade of blue (Unless it is reserved for F Sport models)
2015RC350FSport_1-800x438.jpg

Is this car really 100% production-ready? I'm curious, because it still looks like a concept car, apart from the US-Spec side driving lights and road-legal sized side mirrors. If so, Lexus has done an amazing job. The only other cars to ever amaze me like this have been the BMW i8, '99 Celica, and the '98 Audi TT.

An interview with an "alleged Lexus insider" isn't confirmation. Not saying he/she can't be correct, but it isn't confirmation until Lexus themselves publicly confirm that the car is coming.

But I really do hope that those power specs are correct.

Latest Posts

Back